Start by marking “Flesh & Bone (Rot & Ruin, #3)” as Want to Read:
Flesh & Bone (Rot & Ruin, #3)

Flesh & Bone

(Rot & Ruin #3)

Reeling from the tragic events of Dust & Decay, Benny Imura and his friends plunge deep into the zombie-infested wastelands of the great Rot & Ruin. Benny, Nix, Lilah and Chong journey through a fierce wilderness that was once America, searching for the jet they saw in the skies months ago. If that jet exists then humanity itself must have survived…somewhere. ...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 469 pages
Published September 11th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers (first published September 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Flesh & Bone, please sign up.
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 1 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,558 books — 4,240 voters
Can't Wait Books of 2012
2,514 books — 15,727 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Flesh & Bone (Rot & Ruin, #3)
Kyle
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Very much like the previous books in this series. So if you liked those you'll probably like this one too.

I very much enjoyed the first two books but found this one to be a little too of the same thing. About fifty or sixty percent of the way through it I just felt stalled. I felt like, "Okay I've been here before can't you offer me anything new?" Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of action and I still really enjoy the characters. It was just a bit too much of the same thing.

Now once I

Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This was more of a 4.5 star book.

This series is fast becoming my favorite zombie series ever. Benny Imura in the first book Rot and Ruin was beyond childish. He has started growing on me in the last books and now I'm actually a fan of his.
This book is very fast moving. With zoms/gray people/walkers every where. The virus is starting to mutate and I'm fascinated to see where Maberry goes with it.

In this book the four teenagers are still trying to find the jet that they saw fly over in book
Kimmie
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it

Arrrrggghhhh, this book is so frustrating! I likedit, don't get me wrong, but it is my least favorite in all the books. Why, why, why, why did there have to be another group of wrong doers introduced into this series? Hasn't Chong had it hard enough as it is? Why the heck do they keep getting separated? Why are they always finding themselves deeper into trouble? I'm not sure frustrating even covers what I feel after reading this book. I did not like how it covered only one stinking day
Trudi

This book flirted with three stars a few times along the way. I found myself getting frustrated at certain points and harrumphing or sighing in exasperation. (view spoiler)
carol.
An in-between series book, with several major developments paving the way for a future ultimate conflict. It is worth reading if you are at all invested in a decent young-adult zombie series (yes, I realize that phrase may seem a contradiction in terms--however, they exist).

Benny continues to waiver in that in-between land of almost-grown-up, warring with feelings of inadequacy, emotional loss and growing self-reliance. The group is in badlands-like area, and Benny gets caught in a ravine, and
Nandanie
I need this! After the tragic ending in book 2 that left me in tears, I am sooooooooooo despersate to read this! These books just keep getting better and better! And I bet you, when this series ends, I am going to cry!

Thanks Jonathon for adding such a good series in the media!

P.S. The cover looks really creepy! But that is the theme right? Love it! =)

..................................................................................................

OMG! THAT WAS THE BEST THIRD BOOK OF A SERIES I
Justine
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rot & Ruin -
Dust & Decay -
Flesh & Bone -
Fire & Ash -

“No matter how long the night is, the sun always comes up.”

With a series this long, some would say, it’s just the same as the first two books in the series. And I am telling you it definitely is completely different from the earlier books.

Flesh and Bone began on a very emotional high. With the loss that had happened throughout Rot & Ruin and Dust & Decay. It finally caves in, it dealt with the grieving of the
Emma
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Religious maniacs rule the day; what was lost is found; a little girl is rescued; sanctuary exists; zoms are mutating; in which we lose one of our own.
Lots of action right from the start. Thumping good read.
Brigid ✩
Actual rating: 3.5 Stars

*Note: I can't really avoid spoilers for the first two books in this review, so if you're planning on reading them, then you probably shouldn't read this! (Unless you don't care about spoilers––in which case, go right ahead.)

So, don't get me wrong ... I'm a big fan of this series. Especially as someone who doesn't delve much into the whole zombie/horror genre, I find this series to be impressing over all. They're well-written, they're exciting, there are some terrific
Jason
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2012
4.5 Stars

“”‘He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster,’””

Flesh and Bone, book 3 of the Benny Imura series was one of my most anticipated reads for 2012 by one of my favorite authors. I am not really that big into young adult fiction, but when an amazing horror author like Maberry puts a zombie series to life, it is sure one not to be missed. The story of the two brothers Benny and Tom through the first two books found many of the main plot lines
Brooke
Apr 06, 2012 added it
NOT AVAIL UNTIL SEPTEMBER!!! DAMN YOU JONATHAN MABERRY!!!!!
Caru
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

My Opinion Of This Book: Liked it.

_________________________________

The first book in this 4-book series, Rot & Ruin, blew my mind away and introduced me to a whole new world of zombies. The second book, Dust & Decay, was amazing, but the ending left me heartbroken and I was left unsure if that ending was good for the story. Now Flesh & Bone, the third book in the series, is my least favorite, but I still overall enjoyed it.

THE GOOD.
~Chong: There is some
Jen
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
PROTIP: Read the novella "Dead & Gone" for a better understanding of the background of Riot and The Church of the Darkness, which are major facets of this book.

Hooray for another Maberry book! They really can't come fast enough. Flesh & Bone continues the story of Benny and his friends while they navigate the rot and the ruin, encountering everything from a dangerous death cult to a mysterious haven known only as "Sanctuary." Will it be everything they hope for?

Maberry delivers on the
Dana
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it

"It was why Lilah did not fear death. So many of the people she loved were waiting for her there" - Flesh and Bone

I liked this book BUT Kind of annoyed at how many times Benny says sorry to the zombies he kills. I'm Canadian and even I think this is getting to be too much. He is becoming way too deferential to these zombies and my eyes are getting exhausted from all the rolling.

And another thing, while I'm on a tangent and all, what the hell is up with Chong? He is the Lorrie of this book (
Mauoijenn
Another great book in this awesome series!! A felt it was a little action less then the previous ones but still good none the less. On ward to book #4.
Amanda
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 this series is so surprisingly awesome!
Heather Faville
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having spent the month since the devastating ending of Dust & Decay healing their bodies and, attempting, to heal their spirits, Benny, Nix, Lilah and Chong continue on in search of the jet they have seen flying overhead. Benny and Nix are having relationship troubles as a result of everything that has happened in the last year and the lack of communication between the two. Lilah and Chong are still working out the details of their relationship with her being The Lost Girl and him a mere ...more
Alondra
5 Stars

This was another twist on the fates of Benny Imura and his friends. After the death of one of their own; they are forced to fend for themselves in the great Rot and Ruin. With the continuation of their journey from their hometown, Mountainside; we meet a new set of foes... The Reapers. These are a collection of religious zealots following a known serial killer... great. Not only are they trying to survive zombies, but people who lust for the kill, too.?? And if that doesn't get you angry,
Regina
This was so good. I am glad I waited for the audio version to be produced. with Flesh and Bone Mayberry adds so much to the Rot & Ruin world. I was not sure he could do it given the characters that were killed off in the previous book. But wow, he did. This is a great book and I can't way to read #4.
Jessica Meigs
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy cow. Just...holy cow.

When I get my thoughts a little better together, I'll come back for a more coherent review.
Shelley
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
*Genre* Dystopian
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Review*

“Don’t forget the first rule about the RUIN; out here everything wants to kill you.”

Flesh and Bone is the third novel in the Benny Imura series. The story picks up a month after the devastating events of Rot & Ruin. Benny Imura, Nix Riley, Lilah the Lost Girl and Lou Chong are still searching for the mysterious plane they saw while trying to come to terms with Tom’s shocking loss.

They have left California behind, and are now in Nevada where Nix and
Christy LoveOfBooks
I can’t believe it’s over! Flesh & Bone went by way too fast. This series is one of my most favorites, and one of the few I read as soon as the books are released. I know it seems like my blog is becoming a Jonathan Maberry fan page lately, but the man has an amazing gift for writing that I can’t get enough of.

Flesh & Bone picks up about a month after Benny, Nix, Lilah, and Chong disembarked on their journey east. Leaving the only home they’ve known in the Central California mountains
Sue Smith
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is not an easy book to review. Why?, you ask. Well, I'll tell you ... but forgive me if I meander like a zombie after a bite to eat .... I want to give the story justice!

Firstly, let me assure you that it's a great book. I do love how Jonathan Maberry makes the existence of zombies a frighteningly realistic thing, with a human element that just adds to the horror of it. And this particular chapter into the 'adventure' of a group of young friends really brings that to light even more
Karen’s Library
I just finished rereading this remarkable book but this time on audio, which I highly recommend! Just as good the second time around!

Here is my original review:
Another fantastic non-stop action book in the The Rot & Ruin Collection: Rot & Ruin; Dust & Decay; Dead & Gone; Flesh & Bone series! For the first time ever, I actually tried to slow down my reading because I knew that once I finished, the book would be over. I never want this series to end.

The new evil doers were
Joey
Jun 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: my-library
Can not finish. Loved the first one, the second was Ok, but this one is unbearable. If I had to read the phrase "Warrior Smart" one more time....
Chapter after chapter is dedicated to reminding us how short our memories are by telling us again and again what had happened in the first two books. Not just a sentence or two but page after page after page. The book has very little to do with zombies but everything to do with awkward teenage love. But being I hate not finishing a book, I will TRY to
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
The only series that has been able to fill The Walking Dead void in my life between seasons. Dropping everything else to binge and finish off this series. Love. It.
Abbie
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating - 3.5

Another enjoyable read in the series. Looking forward to the next one.
Shannon Kitchens
I'm a writer. And when I read a book, I often notice little writery tricks. I can see where the story is going, and I can appreicate it on a technical level. But, what sets a story/book apart for me, is its ability to make me forget I'm a writer. Make me forget it's following certain paths that stories take. Make me hope and wish for something that the logical part of my brain knows can't happen. Make me forget I'm reading a story but instead glimpsing a slice of some other place. Flesh & ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
** spoilers for the previous books in the series**

In spite of tragedy, Benny Imura surges on to find the airplane he saw flying through the air with the help of his friends, Nix, Chong, and Lilah. They still traverse the Rot and Ruin towards the unknown, but their hope stays strong. The world is a wild place now. Exotic animals hunt them. Zombies attack them in swarms and not just slow, normal zombies, but faster, evolving zombies. A death cult grows large and picks off towns and villages one by
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Nov 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of the previous two books in this quartet. The first, Rot and Ruin, was probably my favorite read of the year. The second, was almost as strong, and ended with heartbreak that I had to deal with for a few weeks before picking up the third. This installment is my least favorite of the three for a few reasons, but definitely worth reading, and thoughtful in its own way.

Flesh and Bone is the third out of four books by Jonathan Maberry about the zombie apocalypse that has fallen on the
You Are Never Too...: Flesh & Bone (Rot & Ruin #3) July 8, 2019 14 6 Jul 15, 2019 08:32AM
Joe Ledger 4 64 Mar 06, 2014 02:51PM
I need a reminder of how it ended 1 16 Oct 31, 2013 09:55PM
David Estes Fans ...: Flesh & Bone Buddy Read! 52 32 Jun 25, 2013 09:55AM
Jonathan Maberry : Flesh & Bone 11 33 Nov 06, 2012 10:58AM
Jolt & Gummi Bear? 1 8 Sep 21, 2012 08:28AM

• The Fear (The Enemy, #3)
  • Fear (Gone, #5)
  • Shadows (Ashes Trilogy, #2)
  • The Sacrifice (The Enemy #4)
  • Solitary (Escape from Furnace, #2)
  • Death Sentence (Escape from Furnace, #3)
  • The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3)
  • Zom-B Angels
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
  • The Enemy (The Enemy, #1)
  • Dog Dayz (Zombie Fallout #12)
  • Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2)
  • Nevermore (Maximum Ride, #8)
  • The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3)
  • Slawter (The Demonata, #3)
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking #3)
  • The Dead (The Enemy, #2)
  • Everfound (Skinjacker, #3)
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning author, anthology editor, comic book writer, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. He was named one of the Today’s Top Ten Horror Writers. His books have been sold to more than two-dozen countries.

He writes in several genres. His young adult fiction includes ROT

Rot & Ruin (7 books)
  • Rot & Ruin (Rot & Ruin, #1)
  • Dust & Decay (Rot & Ruin, #2)
  • Fire & Ash (Rot & Ruin, #4)
  • Bits & Pieces (Rot & Ruin, #5)
  • Broken Lands (Broken Lands, #1)
  • Lost Roads (Broken Lands, #2)
“When Chong made to sit down next to her, Lilah drew her knife and stabbed the point into the earth between them.
"I can see that you need some quiet time," he said and scuttled quickly away.”
15 likes
“It was harder to let yourself sink if someone else needed you to be their rock.” 15 likes