Start by marking “Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie” as Want to Read:
Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie

Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie

The academic year must have been a difficult one as when the summer holidays arrived, secondary school teacher Andrew Sykes was happy to do as little as possible. But while sitting on his sofa watching the exploits of the cyclists at the Great Wall of China at the Beijing Olympics, he realised the error of his ways and resolved to put a bit more adventure into his life. Tw ...more
Published (first published August 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crossing Europe on a Bike Called Reggie

mark watkin
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent brilliant
Gail
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant, funny and definitely worth a read!

I really enjoyed reading this book. By the end of it I actually felt like I’d made the trip with the author! A wonderful read and I’m looking forward to reading his other books.
Mark Bell
Apr 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It sounds like there's a long list of books not to buy if you're looking for a turn-by-turn account of the Eurovelo-5 route, and this book belongs on that list. This is a good description of travelling through Europe by bicycle. It is inspiring (I think that's why my wife hid it!).. Looking forward to Andrew's next trip!
Ian Buday
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Prior to reading this I just completed a Stephen King epic, so it was nice to read a book that was easy to follow and get through reasonably quickly. An enjoyable read with some light hearted witty observations. The journey is something I would like to do one day (but don't think I would!). Recommended to anyone with an interest in cycling and / travel
Mark Kenyon
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first of Andrews books and I really enjoyed it - I've now bought the other 2. Inspired me that you can just stick some panniers on and get out and ride. The only problem is time😞. Roll on retirement- literally!
sanjay
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book.

I read this book after reading ' cross the med on a bike called Reggie's, enjoyed reading both books equally. They created a movie in my mind, it was as if I was traveling the eurovelo route.
Highly recommended.
Nate
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ready for more

I feel like I joined Andrew and Reggie on an amazing ride across Europe. Eager to buy the rest of their series.
Pippi
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining and easy read. It made me laugh out loud a few times.
Jacqueline
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: france, cycling
Andrew is a teacher who decided to put his summer holiday to good use by cycling from Reading in Berkshire, through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland and into and through Italy. That is 3,300km following the Eurovelo 5 route, alone, unless of course you include Reggie, his bike. Now as I am the sort of person who names her cars and even her central heating boiler, I love that Andrew named his bike and it really added an extra something to the book for me.

For 30 cycling days in 36
Dan Sumption
A lovely little travelogue, by an initially quite nervous cyclist taking his first real long-distance ride, from Reading to the south of Italy. It's rather pooterish at points, and sometimes heavy on detail, but all the same it was a delight to read: I breezed through it and immediately found myself dreaming of one day setting off on all manner of similar two-wheeled adventures.
Kerry
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
How interesting can a blog about somebody’s summer holiday be. Can a whole book of get on bike, ride, get off bike, sleep, repeat really hold your attention?

Well…….yes. This book is an inspiring and interesting read which I breezed through in no time.

I see there is a follow up coming and I will definitely be in for round two.
Dan DuPree
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and engaging

Well worth the read, Andrew's writing style is part story telling, part log book, with the expected British tinge. A great read for a traveller (or someone who travels through others) of any description.
Kenneth
I enjoyed this book. It made me feel that I need to get off my butt and go on my own adventure.
Jed
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting read, worth the money
Tara
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read, with an interesting mix of people, places, geography, and the logistics of organizing a bike ride along European "veloroutes" with varying degrees of signage and completeness.
Jeannette
May 22, 2014
jackie wilkinson
Sep 05, 2017
Gary Cook
rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2018
David
Apr 20, 2012
Andrew Sykes
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Greencoffeepot
Darren Murphy
Jan 03, 2018
Emma Phillips
Mar 24, 2016
Andrew P. Sykes is a writer, cyclist, speaker and teacher.
He’s also a lover of those quirky, humorous travelogues that meander comically from one minor adventure to the next. So writing about a long-distance cycling trip across Europe from southern England to southern Italy seemed the natural thing for him to do once his small-time odyssey was over. The result was ‘Crossing Europe on a Bike Called