Start by marking “The Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing Critters (Granby Knitting, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing Critters (Granby Knitting, #1)

The Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing Critters

(Granby Knitting #1)

This title is part of the 2011 Advent Calendar: I'll Be Home for Christmas

Rance Crawford is an alpaca rancher, fiber mill owner, and self-proclaimed grumpy bastard. When sweet, charming tenderfoot Ben McCutcheon moves onto Crawford’s rural road, Rance is very aware that Ben makes it a grand total of two gay men in their tiny town, and even though he is instantly, painfully
Published December 1st 2011 by Dreamspinner Press LLC

Be the first to ask a question about The Winter Courtship Rituals of Fur-Bearing Critters

Nick Pageant
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Updating my review to say that, because of this series, I now knit! I just made a hat and am ridiculously proud of myself.

This whole series is awesome. I love every one of the books. They're great comfort reads - like a warm pair of mittens for your heart. Okay, back to knitting.
* A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

You can’t really go wrong with a gruff grumpy not-so-gentle giant who raises animals to supply his custom yarn shop. He’s kinda definitely lonely, and when he gets a new neighbor who’s all sorts of sunshine and optimism, how’s a reticent blunt guy like him, going to win him over?

Ensue a slow burn and sweet wooing with knitting goods.

This was easy reading at its best despite Lane’s eccentric word choice and at times, awkward flow.

Endearing, funny, with a touch of angst and a dollop of
Ingie
Written November 11, 2014

3 1/2 Stars - A cozy winter tale

A new short Winter M/M. I listened to the 2:30 hrs audiobook edition narrated by Philip Alces.

Sweet as sugar and so charming!
There is absolutely nothing not to like about this Christmas novella. Well written, fun and excellent told by a skilled storyteller (Ms Lane) and a perfect narrator voice (Mr Alces).

***********************************************************

The alpaca rancher and fiber mill owner Rance Crawford is a self-proclaimed
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
The way to a man's heart is through his cock...

cozy.

When 20-something-year-old Ben, with the light-up-the-room smile, inherits his aunt's property in Granby, Colorado, Rance Crawford, a man of few words and even fewer woo-them tactics, can't believe his luck. There's finally another gay man in town!

Ben has Craw at hello. The rest is a courtship, and knitting.

I can't even sew on a button, but halfway through this book I wanted to grab some Alpaca wool and knit a hat or two. Low on steam, but h
Barbara➰
Rance is a crotchety alpaca fur yarn maker dyer knitter. Whew lol. The only gay man in his small town, he becomes intrigued by his new neighbor Ben. Ben has just moved into his great-aunt’s house from California. Rance decides Ben needs help to make it through the winter but he also begins his courtship through knitting. And some very interesting knitting indeed 😉

This was super cute and funny. It’s a sweet and short read. I think it could have benefited from some things fleshed out a bit more bu
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Amy Lane working her angst-free skills in an adorable novella about knitting men? What's not to love??

This really is a book about courting, which I adored. I am a sucker for a good build-up to physical intimacy and I got that here, which is rare in a novella.

Rance sets about courting his new neighbor, Ben, by gifting him little wooly handmade trinkets. I have a weakness for big oafy men in M/M that have trouble expressing their emotions but are secretly fluff-balls inside (sub-genre much??), an
Ariana
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ku, christmas, lgbtq
*4,5 stars*

Absolutely loved it.
Not only is gruff and grumpy Crawford adorable in his 'simplicity', Amy Lane's use of wool producing prodecures and knitting as metaphors for falling in love is totally brilliant and very clever. (and that knitting pattern at the end made my day ... )

Excellent for a short novella and so far the best this Christmas!
Meags
3 Stars

This was a cute start to a winter-y M/M series revolving around a group of men who work, knit, and find love in the small town of Granby, Colorado.

The burgeoning romance between Rance Crawford, the alpaca rancher, fiber mill owner, and dedicated knitter, and his charming new neighbour, Ben McCutcheon, was very sweet and endearing. Watching grumpy bastard Rance as he began to woe Ben with his knitted goods was delightful to witness.

The two made a lovely pair, but because of the limited p
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Starts at 1% and ends at 93%

Ok story I liked both the main characters and although there was a lot of knitting and yarn talk none of it bored me or anything.

Probably would have gave it five stars but I didn’t like Stanly and he was in too much of the book either in the scenes or Rance thinking about him. This is also just probably me but the barn /animal references were just too much (too many of them used) for me and some were a little gross. But that’s probably all just me. And I only say tha
T.A. Webb
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“Simple is good,” he said. “I’ve lived through complicated. Complicated hurts. Simple sustains you. Complicated makes you hungry for simple.”

Rance Crawford is a simple man that has a simple life. His alpaca ranch and yarn spinning business is successful. He has a couple of good friends. Good employees. And a buddy he visits every few months to take the edge off when he needs it. He is also a crusty, blunt and hard-to-get-along-with man.

Ben McCutcheon moves into his dead great-aunt’s one acre f
Lauraadriana
A crazy little thing called love almost literally comes knocking to Crawford's door, and he goes out and finds a way to keep it.

Crwaford farms alpacas and other critters, makes yarn to sell and knits lovely things for those he loves. He's a bit lonely out there in his farm in Colorado. The man is ornery, but he is so kind and he wants not to be lonely anymore. So when the very pretty (and gay!) nephew of his recently deceased neighbor moves in next door. Crawford starts a courtship by knitting.
Heller
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, m-m
I wanted to give this one 4stars but I had to take one away because (view spoiler)

I LOVE the title and cover of this book. So freaking cute and the knitting pattern at the end? OMG. Hilarious. I really enjoyed this one. It was adorable. I loved Crawford and Ben.
Denise H.
***** This is a simply wonderful short story !

It is touching, adorable and fun !

The comparison between yarn making and people wooing is awesome !
Rance, 30s, Ben, 20s.

And, there is a knitting instruction for a cock cozy and more.

Highly recommended ! ENJOY !
===================
MsMiz (Tina)
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pdf, glbt-all
So perfect for the holiday season. The message of the story "just because you put a mating pair in a pen doesn't mean one of them's going ass-up for the other one‟.

This was a delightful story about really great people in a little hard to get town close to Boulder, knitting, lots of animal stories and analogies and two unlikely a pair falling in love (and eventually end up ass-up!
Susan
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, comfort-reads

This was exactly what I needed! Such a warm and fluffy read. I loved it.

I absolutely loved Crawford. He was gruff and came across as the silent type, who didn’t really wanted to interact with anyone.

But what people didn’t see is that Crawford just doesn’t know how to talk to people. He would love to make friends all over town, he just has no idea how.

But when he meets his new neighbor Ben, he is instantly smitten. But how to make Ben know Crawford likes him….?

By knitting stuff for hi
Simsala
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had problems to get into the story - everything related to yarn and knitting is completely alien to me - but it was easy to fall in love with the characters.A sweet and funny Christmas-season story.
Ula'ndi Hart
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Overall book rating: 4
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 2

Well, I enjoyed it. I liked the whole socially inadequate thing going on with Crawford, I think it gave a little kick to the story and Ben, was just sweet.
BWT (Belen)
Belens Audio Book Review

Rance Crawford is an alpaca and sheep rancher, owns a fiber mill, does most of his own spinning along with his best friend (the appropriated named) Ariadne, and has the social skills of an amoeba. I loved this character so much it's not even funny.

When charming and socially adept Ben McCutcheon inherits his great-aunt's property next door, Rance is suddenly floored by this vibrant and beautiful man. So much so that he immediately moves out of his comfort zone to woo Ben. With his knitting.

I'll
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
♥ Dani. You know me so well and knew I would love this and I did, you are my kind of critter girl! Such a warm and fuzzy story full of critters and pee-pee hard on dances :) Read.
CrabbyPatty
Rance Crawford, the orneriest cuss in Granby falls hard for city-slicker Ben McCutcheon. This short novella is from Rance’s POV and tells how the (hysterically funny) grumpy bastard win Ben’s heart by knitting him a hat, scarf, mittens and a Very Special Accessory. Loved it!

I received an ARC from Dreamspinner Press in exchange of an honest review.. My review of the Granby Knitting Stories is at Gay Book Reviews. Check it out!
AnnaLund
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to AnnaLund by: Julio Genao
For my honest and true view of this book, please read …MORE

Goodreads TOS-compliant review (I think, let me know when they tell us what the rules are):

"The book I just read is about two (or three) lovely people, written in beautiful language, by a very good and prolific author. I liked it very, very much.
It is for sale on Amazon.”

DISCLAIMER: My reviews now all have this pretty face, so that all and everyone on Goodreads can stay happy and beatific. I’ll let you know if I change my mind. See the
Kaje Harper
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was just plain sweet. Crawford is a unique character, blunt, inarticulate, mostly oblivious, and secretly romantic, with a streak of integrity a mile wide. The story is his, and you just go along for the ride. You will find yourself reading with an indulgent smile on your face and a deep desire to hug the man. Or shake him. Sometimes both. Funny, quirky and adorable.
Eugenia
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
Gruff and tough meets the guy to melt those protective layers away. Fun and quirky. My take home from this book was exceptional and can be summed up in two words: COCK COZY.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This was a very sweet and cute story. I loved all the knitting stuff, and the wooing with knitted garments. It was adorable. There wasn't much of a plot, just the romance, but that was okay. I didn't find it dragging at all.

The one thing that did irritate me is that there is a significant age difference and there is absolutly no reason for it. The older guy is in his late thirties which is perfect. The other guy is in his mid-twenties, which is completely unnecessary. The story would have worke
dbbks3
Just a wonderful, sweet story about nice people that made me smile. A holiday present to be read any time of the year.
Serena Yates
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
I just loved this story; it has humor, a great love story and some intricate patterns and layers that make it very similar to the topic, which is knitting. But not just knitting as in using the wool; since Rance raises alpacas and is a mill owner, the whole process of wool and yarn-making is included as well. This, for me, added to the fascination of the whole setup and I loved learning about the bigger picture.

Rance is so wonderfully grumpy, I loved him from the very beginning. He is not very s
Mary
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper, own-it
People think Rance Crawford is a grouch but he's really not. He's a hero with a heart of a lion, it's just buried under a man with hard edges, who speaks his mind or doesn't speak at all. Take him or leave him. He wants Ben to take him, keep him, preferably forever. Because Rance took one look at Ben and decided that that was the sunlight he needed in his life, it was love at first sight. And so Rance courts him and woos him. It's a big romance in a small place and it built and it's beautiful an ...more
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Super cute story about grumpy Rance ( I don't even think he's THAT grumpy! ;) and his new neighbor Ben.
The story feels a lot longer than it actually is, don't know if that's because I had to pay more attention to all the knitting and mill info, or just because Amy Lane knows how to write a big story in a small space.
I enjoyed this one a lot and would say it was the best of the DSP Anthology.
Marte - Thunderella
*** 3,5 wolly romance stars ***

Audio edition, narrated by Peter Alces
2 hours 26 minutes

Overall: 3,5
Performance: 3
Story: 4

Such a sweet story, I really enjoyed it!
I haven't listened to this narrator before, he did an okay job.
Ele
May 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Just meh...but I'll keep going cause it's getting better. Dani said so

• A Summit City Christmas (Summit City, #2.5)
  • A Wealth of Unsaid Words
  • Mending Noel (North Pole City Tales, #1)
  • What Can Be
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • Sock it to Me, Santa!
  • Making His List
  • The Boy Behind the Red Door
  • Simple Gifts (Cornwall Novellas, #2)
  • With This Ring
  • Inseparable (Inseparable, #1)
  • I Heard Him Exclaim
  • Reindeer Games (Reindeer Games, #1)
  • A Trouble Halved
  • Gambling On Maybe (GlitterBomb! #1)
  • Grumble Monkey and the Department Store Elf
  • Zombie Wonderland
Amy Lane dodges an EDJ, mothers four children, and writes the occasional book. She, her brood, and her beloved mate, Mack, live in a crumbling mortgage in Citrus Heights, California, which is riddled with spiders, cats, and more than its share of fancy and weirdness. Feel free to visit her at www.greenshill.com orwww.writerslane.blogspot.com, where she will ride the buzz of receiving your e-mail u ...more

Granby Knitting (4 books)
  • How to Raise an Honest Rabbit (Granby Knitting, #2)
  • Knitter in His Natural Habitat (Granby Knitting, #3)
  • Blackbird Knitting in a Bunny's Lair (Granby Knitting #4)
“Simple is good," he said. "I've lived through complicated. Complicated hurts. Simple sustains you. Complicated makes you hungry for simple.” 17 likes
“You didn't know that... that my whole world stopped when I first saw you smile.” 12 likes