Start by marking “Ketchup is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves” as Want to Read:
Ketchup is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves

Read Book* *Different edition

Ketchup is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  1,728 Ratings  ·  298 Reviews
If you don’t have anything nice to say about motherhood, then… read this book. Robin O’Bryant offers a no holds barred look at the day to day life of being a mother to three, running a household and the everyday monotony of parenting.

It’s not always pretty but it’s real. Whether she's stuffing cabbage in her bra… dealing with defiant yet determined daughters… yelling at th
Published (first published November 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ketchup is a Vegetable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ketchup is a Vegetable

Ciara
wait, what? HOW does this book have such a high rating here? the author must have a million friends on the internet that gave it an inflated score, because in NO WORLD is this a four-star-average book. i was actually going to give it two stars, because kudos for writing any book at all when you have three kids, but i felt duty-bound to mark it down to try to balance the over-inflation a little.

this is supposed to be funny essays about motherhood. just the kind of thing i like. i read good review
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Have you ever read a book and literally laughed out loud so hard that you started crying? From page one this book had me laughing and crying and the boy starring at me strangely! Although I am not a mom and this is most definitely a mom book filled with stories from birds and bees talk to horrible road trips with infants and toddlers, I found the humor through knowing a bunch of moms and how life can be out of control.

This book starts with a perfect prologue to set up "the characters" and help
momruncraft
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
Mommyhood is hard. You have ideas of what it means to be a Mom while pregnant but those are often quickly dashed by the time you give birth. As you maneuver your way through the first year, you learn the ropes, gain confidence, and start to feel as though you know what you're doing. In our house, months 10 through 15 were favorites, ultimate kiddo cuteness abound.

And then, like many, you decide to change the ballgame, make things more interesting and have a second. Thus negating all said learned
Stephanie
Sep 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: parenting
I waited 3 years for this book to become available at the library. I had high hopes - friends, strangers, and Goodreads told me I would love it. "It's a must read for parents! She's so funny," they all said.

Except she isn't. At. All.

Look, I've been through the whole pregnancy and infant/toddler thing twice. I'm certainly no expert. However, not once have I had the inclination to devote half of a book (or even more than a passing comment in a conversation) about being a parent to my chest, anoth
Mich
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
The last chapter had to be said. The last chapter is a short story unto itself. The last chapter threw the whole LOL business of the rest if the book down the river. Read ALL but the last chapter. Enjoy the funny parts. Let is soak in. THEN. After a few days read the last chapter and let it soak in. And yes I know they were all separate little stories but they had a 'theme' and the last chapter just made me say 'oh'. Maybe read the last chapter first?
Cynthia
Feb 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I don't get it. Every review gives this a 4 or 5 and claims it is laugh-out-loud funny. I didn't have high expectations and just wanted something light to read; it was free on my Kindle. I read the first 8 essays and couldn't continue. It is very poorly written, not at all clever, and I didn't even think about smiling. I am frankly shocked that anyone chose to publish these blog posts with so many better examples of the genre available.
Lindsey
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through a Goodreads First-reads Giveaway.

I want to preface this review by saying that I have a high level of respect and appreciation for anyone that is willing to share their parenting stories. Parenting is a touchy subject; everyone does it differently, and everyone has an opinion. Even people who dont have kids have opinions on how they should be raised. So, like I said, I have a lot of respect for someone who is brave enough to share their most intimate family stories be
Amanda
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stumbled upon this book and it was a great accident! I have read and re-read this book because it is the real deal about parenting! No it isn't about what to feed your baby, how to get them to sleep, or how to discipline. It is better- it makes you feel okay that your own child has only eaten chicken nuggets for 6 straights days or that sometimes we act a fool to keep your own child awake so they will sleep all night or that sometimes when we should discipline our children... All we can do it la ...more
Debbie
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it
A tough choice between 2 & 3 stars.
This book started out so strong. I was laughing every other paragraph.
Then started the endless boob, poop & puke stories....and I was really about ready to just stop reading. (And I have to *really* dislike something to not finish.)

I decided to give it 'one more chapter' and the bodily fluid details stopped, so I kept going. It ended really sweetly and I completely agree with every word written in her last paragraph. So I'm glad I finished it.

Still th
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I rarely give 5 star reviews, but this book really deserves it. A laugh out loud read from beginning to end (OK...maybe the last essay was more of a tearjerker than funny).

As a mom of 3, I can totally relate to every single thing in this book. Heck, I've lived through some of these (have the roadtrip tshirt, cleaned up the vomit).
Jennifer McMurrain
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ketchup is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves is a snort laugh, milk-out-the-nose great read. I found myself nodding at all her misadventures in Mommyhood, with a "I have so been there" nod. I strongly encourage all 1st time Mommies to read this, not only will it give you a head's up on what's to come, but it'll make you feel right at home in your own misadventures.
Adam
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I picked this up after being threatened by a friend, and I'm glad I did.
This collection of humorous essays about the author and her three young kids is both touching and hilarious in equal measure. I'd recommend it to anyone, and not just new mums.

That said, I'm never having children.

5 stars.
Elisabeth
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious! I was able to identify with her on so many levels because I have either experienced the same situations or have thought the same thoughts! This is a laugh out loud book!
Maria
Aug 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Great book to give to a mom, not so much my type of book, still O'Bryant is hilarious and there's lots of laugh out loud moments.
Debra Jackson
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this book! If you are a mom and need a light read that will make you smile at the end of the day, this is the book! I could identify with many things she wrote about with her family life. She has a great sense of humor to go along with it too. Looking forward to reading more by this author.
Mel
Yay, free book online about some of my worst nightmares!

This is a memoir about the misery and joy about being a parent for three children. Once I read the introduction that this lady had three children all while trying to move, discipline, and work, I can only give her a round of applause for her courage.

Anyway, I haven't even gone through the marriage phrase yet, so many parts of the book I cannot relate to. I am only a curious individual who is always baffled by the amount of people who want
Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe)
Oh my goodness, let me tell you first. I have never read a memoir before this book, so when it arrived on my doorsteps I did not know how I was going to enjoy it.

I was so glad I dove right into it, because I felt it was worth every page.

Robin is a mother of three girls, and Ketchup Is a Vegetable is her memoir, story compilation on parenthood. Especially what it means being a mother to her. I think I enjoy and loved every single second of this book since the very first chapter.

Robin tells it lik
Kari
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, kindle
I don't think I have laughed so much while reading a book in a long time. Ketchup is a Vegetable: and Other Lies Mom Tell Themselves is full of tales and anecdotes from the author who is the mother of 3 small children. She discusses everything from breast feeding to talking about sex with your young child. I think most mothers will find this book very amusing and will find themselves nodding their head over and over. I know I did! Her honesty and frankness about subjects from the sacred nap time ...more
Angela
It took me about 2 hours to read this on a plane. I didn't hear the babies crying, the unidentified smells wafting through the circulated air didn't bother me, even my airline assigned friend didn't try talking with me. All because I was nose deep in these pages, giggling and cringing through the author's early motherhood saga.

Reading these short stories was like reliving my own early motherhood tribulations. I could relate to them all, and laugh about them, knowing that like the author, we sur
Diane Barnes
May 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this one 5 stars because I enjoyed every word of it. Robin O'Bryant's style is reminiscent of Anne Lamott and Celia Rivenbark because she is brutally honest about her life as a wife and mother. Forget the magazine articles that tell you how to be a "perfect mother". No such creature exists, and I don't like the ones who pretend to be. Raising 3 children under the age of 7 is a daily struggle, even with a supportive husband and family. Finding the humor in that struggle is her forte, and s ...more
Kara Bachman
This book is fun for moms with young children. Robin O'Bryant isn't afraid to put herself out there; nothing is off-limits in her self-deprecating storytelling about the cute --and the downright miserable -- sides of family life with babies and young kids. A bit silly for my taste, but I see it is quite popular with many young mothers.
Stephanie
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. There was so many times when reading this book that I thought, "oh my gosh, that is my life!" It was absolutely hilarious. I cried from laughing at a few parts. It might not be as funny if you aren't a parent. The public bathrooms with kids scene has happened a lot in our family. Mommy juice sounds like a great idea...

(there is a bit of language)
Sarah Hardy
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Kind of like if the Girlfriends' Guide series author Vicki Iovine met Anne Lamott and they had a couple of drinks and sat around dishing about being a mom.

My favorite kind of humor--absolute honesty mixed with laugh-at-yourself wit.
Meredith Spidel
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Robin has an amazing talent for being able to tell the cold, hard truths of motherhood (the things you would rather not think about!) but making you laugh so hard in the process, you'll be begging for Poise pads. Fantastic treat!
Haily
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robin O'Bryant is officially on my FAVORITE author list...I just started reading "Ketchup is a Vegetable: And Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves" and it is hilarious!! I have literally laughed out loud on several occasions. If you are a mommy....trust me when I say this is a must read!!!
Peyton Kennedy
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! Hands down one of the funniest out there. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone... mother, sister, best friend, neighbor, etc.
Cyndi
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a great read!!! Women with children can relate to this whether they admit it or not. These girls are hysterical & Robin is a genius in the way she documents their stories.
Olivia
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Truly one of the funniest books I've read in awhile! So refreshing to hear from a mom who sees the humor in everyday situations and can share the laughs without disparaging her role or her family.
Amy
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very funny & real! Totally relatable.
Amanda
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a mom, so of course a book directed at moms with humor mixed into truths was certainly appealing to me. I had this finished in a few hours on a road trip, so it's a quick read, and I snickered and shook my head in agreement a few times, because girl, SAME! The true downside is that had I not been stuck in a vehicle with my in-laws for 18 hours straight with nothing else to do, I probably would never have finished this book. Right from the start she starts calling her female parts Big Burthas ...more
Pick Up Lane Book...: Grandmothers, MeeMaws and Mimis 4 6 Sep 10, 2013 06:24PM
Pick Up Lane Book...: Share BUT NOT WITH ME! 3 5 Aug 23, 2013 12:57PM
  • Confessions of a Scary Mommy: An Honest and Irreverent Look at Motherhood: The Good, The Bad, and the Scary
  • When Did I Get Like This?: The Screamer, the Worrier, the Dinosaur-Chicken-Nugget-Buyer, and Other Mothers I Swore I'd Never Be
  • Spending the Holidays with People I Want to Punch in the Throat: Yuletide Yahoos, Ho-Ho-Humblebraggers, and Other Seasonal Scourges
  • Daddy Needs a Drink: An Irreverent Look at Parenting from a Dad Who Truly Loves His Kids—Even When They're Driving Him Nuts
  • The Third Floor
  • Mother Shock: Loving Every (Other) Minute of It
  • The Second Nine Months: One Woman Tells the Real Truth about Becoming a Mom. Finally.
  • The Book of New Family Traditions: How to Create Great Rituals for Holidays and Every Day
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3
  • Reasons My Kid Is Crying
  • Sh*tty Mom: The Parenting Guide for the Rest of Us
  • STFU, Parents: The Jaw-Dropping, Self-Indulgent, and Occasionally Rage-Inducing World of Parent  Overshare
  • I Just Want to Pee Alone: A Collection of Humorous Essays by Kick Ass Mom Bloggers
  • The Three-Martini Playdate: A Practical Guide to Happy Parenting
  • Blacklisted from the PTA
  • Confessions of the World's Best Father
  • The Sh!t No One Tells You: A Guide to Surviving Your Baby's First Year
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
Robin O'Bryant is a NYTs best-selling author and award winning humor columnist. She's a work-from-home-mom to three daughters born within four years. She finally figured out where babies come from and got herself under control. Robin survives the hilarity of motherhood by making fun of herself in her self-syndicated humor column, Robin's Chicks and on her blog by the same name.
More about Robin O'Bryant

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“Zeb. Married. Texas. Auburn. Aubrey. Savannah. Emma. Charleston. Sadie.” 0 likes
“(Quick soapbox moment here for you “animal people” — having a pet, even a dog, is not the same as having children. Case in point… you can lock your “baby” in a cage or take it outside, lock the door and ignore it for a few hours. Parents cannot, unless we would like a cage of our very own.)” 0 likes