Start by marking “In Session: Dr. Morgan Snow with Steve Berry's Cotton Malone, Lee Child's Jack Reacher & Barry Eisler's John Rain” as Want to Read:

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  404 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
In Session, from international best seller M.J. Rose, features the return of Dr. Morgan Snow, in a brand-new story collection!

As a therapist specializing in sexual issues, psychiatrist Dr. Morgan Snow isn't easily shocked or shaken, as readers and listeners of the popular "Butterfield Institute" novels know. There are times, however, when the need for her services leads he
Audible Audio, Unabridged, USA Download, 2 pages
Published October 15th 2011 by MJ Rose c/o Writers House (first published September 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In Session, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Session

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
I thought this was great. The Audiobook turned out well. It's short, it's funny, fun, in the way that books are fun and, the interview with M.J. Rose at the end was actually very enlightening.

Besides... doesn't everyone want Jack Reacher, Rain and Cotton Malone on the analyzing couch?

And as if getting Dr. Snow pinned under the couch in her office wasn't a metaphor for something about her?

Really fun, and interesting read... short. and the audiobook performance was outstanding.

The interview at
Marleen
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica
This is a short book but a delightful read. M.J. Rose has taken three heroes from popular thriller series and brought them face to face with Dr. Morgan Snow, the sex therapist from Rose’s Butterfield Institute books.
Steve Berry’s Cotton Malone, Barry Eisler’s John Rein and Lee Child’s Jack Reacher are all ultimate tough guys who wouldn’t dream about talking to a therapist about their (sexual) relationships. In these three stories though, Morgan Snow manages to get them to open up in ways that re
Jan Rice
Sep 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, fiction, genre-lit
In the first of three stories, sex therapist extraordinaire Dr. Morgan Snow helps a female client to fulfillment by providing surreptitious therapy for her somewhat inhibited paramour Cotton Malone. Dr. Snow travels abroad to visit with him in his used- and rare-book store where, posing as a customer, she gets him to talk, perusing with him a book of medieval erotica featuring nuns and priests. Un-dammed, he gratefully makes her a gift of the hugely expensive book for her erotica collection.

What
Patricia
REVIEWED FOR NETGALLEY

This book brings three stories, each different but non of the less, important to those who like to dwell after turning the last page.
It was the first time that I read something like this and in which the main character is a sex therapist, exposing to us reader's the problems shared with her patients.

In the first story, we have a woman that loves the man she shares her life with but wants to push forward with their relationship. Anyway, she senses that something is holding h
Charlie
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read other book reviews at Book Junkie Joint.
This crossover of protagonists from different authors is just pure awesomeness!

I'd have to admit that the main reason why I picked up this book was because of Barry Eisler's John Rain. I have three John Rain books and I just couldn't resist not reading this one.

Aside from John Rain, the other thing which made me pick up this book was the fact that it involved a sex therapist. Sex is an interesting yet delicate topic. Most people are still uncomfortab
Rhonda
Oct 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review: In Session by M.J. Rose
5STARS
What a clever book. Taking characters from different writers interacting with each other characters. On top of that the money goes to a charity Wish you well foundation of David Baldacci. It supports family literacy.
Which I think is a great idea.
Lee Child and Barry Eisler were chatting about Lee's Jack Reacher versus Barry's John Rain. Than M.J. Rose jumped in and said her Dr. Snow would like to shrink them. Later she asked Steve Berry's about his Cotton M
Leanne Kale sparks
Interesting concept - taking three very masculine, well-known characters from other fiction, and placing them in situations where they are talking to a sex therapist about sex! The short stories are an easy read; I was able to get through all three in an afternoon. The premise behind Dr. Snow meeting and engaging the three characters was very interesting (and apparently received the seals of approval from each characters creator). This would be a great read for anyone - not just women. Guys who ...more
D.G.
Interesting concept but I could have done without the psychiatrist. She was the least interesting of the bunch by far. Having the parts of John Rain, Reacher and Cotton Malone narrated by the respectives narrators of the series was supercool. Like anybody who's a reader of Rain & Reacher, I always wonder who'll come out ahead in a fight so having them "meet" the same person was super exciting (like they were real people!) even if the stories weren't that interesting. (BTW...John Rain would h ...more
Jay
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never actually read a book from any of these 4 characters before, but if this set of 3 shorts is anything to go by, I'm definitely interested in reading more on all of them.
great quick read. 3 very different stories, but all fantastic.

** thanks to NetGalley & the publishers for this copy!
Daniel
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review originally printed in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 4.25 of 5

I'm a virgin to all four characters here: Dr. Morgan Snow, Cotton Malone, Jack Reacher, and John Rain. But the premise intrigued me and the length was just right to make some introductions.

Dr. Morgan Snow is a sex therapist. Not surprisingly, the people she comes in contact with on a daily basis have some interesting stories to tell. The sort of stories one would ONLY tell a sex therapist. In In Session, we get three stori
Madri
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever wondered what it would take to get Jack Reacher (Lee Child's protagonist) in therapy with Dr. Morgan Snow, famous psychologist from the Butterfield Institute? Or if a assassin like John Rain (Barry Eisler) would ever talk about his sex life? Well, wonder no more. In Session is a fun and playful collection of 3 short stories, each featuring Morgan Snow (thank goodness she's back!) and a equally famous protagonist. Charming.
Cheryl
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the concept of the book very interesting. Morgan Snow meets characters from other novels (some of my favorite, too). While the interactions were short, they were powerful and provided insight into all the characters. Really worthwhile.
Jesi
Aug 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Rating: 3 paws

One quote from the book that I particularly cared for: "My whole life is a wrong decision. One more one way or the other there is a statistical rounding error."

Summary of the book in one sentence: "What a sex therapist discusses with professional assassins/spies in a therapy session."
--------------
So, I honestly had no idea what this book was to be about, and I really only got it because Audible was offering it for cheap and I enjoy the novels the different spy-characters are in.
Julie G
Oct 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I'm not altogether certain what I expected from In Session: Dr. Morgan Snow - but I probably would have gotten more out of it, had I been familiar with all of the characters.

Nonetheless, it was an interesting read, or should I say reads?

The primary character - Dr. Morgan Snow - is a sex therapist and star of the "Butterfield Institute Series" by M.J. Rose. In this volume, consisting of three short stories, Dr. Snow 'shrinks' characters from three well-known suspense series.

Extenuating Circumstan
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books
I do not usually read books like this. However, I love Steve Berry's Cotton Malone character, so I thought I'd try it out. MJ Rose's character Dr. Morgan Snow is a sex therapist. The premise for this book is that these 3 strong male characters are being analyzed by her, or come into her life, for various reasons.

The first story is Cotton's ("Extenuating Circumstances"). If you haven't read any of Steve Berry's books, I would definitely recommend them. I think they are fabulous books of adventure
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
In Session by M.J. Rose is a short book which contains three short stories. This is a unique book because Ms. Rose uses three fictional characters of other authors who visit her creation – a sex therapist.

The book contains 3 short stories:
Extenuating Circumstances: featuring Steve Berry’s Cotton Malone. A woman who wants help for her lover prompts Dr. Snow, sex therapist, to go overseas in order to meet with the man.

Decisions, Decisions: featuring Barry Eisler’s John Rain. In this story Dr. Snow
Paula  Phillips
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a huge mystery and adventure fan , when I saw this book "In Session" written by MJ Rose , I thought I just had to read it and it was so awesome . Have you ever imagined what it would be like to analyse your favourite fictional adventure heroes ? What their conversations would be like if they ever found themselves wound up on the chair or in the office of a Sex Therapist ?
Have you ever thought about what it would be like if you put Jack Reacher in a room with John Rain and told them to battle
Alison
Dec 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn good!
Introducing me to two new characters, who I now want to go read.
Sadly I wasn't as thrilled with the Reacher story, which was basically just a long sex scene, whereas the other two had mystery and twist.

Funds from this short collection are going toward adult literacy program the Wish You l Foundation.

Readers are getting great value, great stories, and supporting a great cause.

Review:

In Session is a collection of three short stories, taking MJ Rose’ character, sexual psychiatrist Dr.

Leah
Jan 20, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I love me some Cotton Malone, so when I happened upon this e-book featuring not only Malone, but multiple other well-known characters, I immediately jumped at the chance to read it.

Ms. Rose has been on my radar for a while, but until I received this title I hadn't yet read any of her work. Going into the book, I kept an open mind despite my feelings that this basically amounts to fanfiction.

In Session is a short work comprised of even shorter stories. The
Tez
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jenny  (hades2) (Chocolate Chunky Munkie)
You can see the full review at Chocolate Chunky Munkie

Many thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for my review copy, this is in exchange for an honest review.

First off I will say that I have never come across the characters written in each short story. I was happy enough to read through each one and glean an insight into each character. As with all short stories one wills stand out more than the rest and this was the one featuring Barry Eisler's John Rain. This particular story was great, I lov
Elizabeth (Stuffed Shelves)
What is the book about?

Three stories from the files of Dr. Morgan Snow, a sex therapist at the Butterfield Institute, one of New York City's most highly respected sex clinics.

Dr. Snow respectfully meets with Cotton Malone and helps couple who has problems communicating intimately and in return finds herself rewarded in a unique way.

The Butterfield Institute has it's share of celebrity clients of the rich and famous. People like Michael, who is the kind of politician who gets votes because he of
Cyn Armistead
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've never read anything by any of these authors before, so my perspective on this piece is probably going to be skewed compared to that of most readers/listeners. However, it was free on Audible briefly and looked interesting, so I added it to my library. I happened to be in the car a long time today and this is what I had downloaded on my iPad, so this is one of the things that I listened to.

I found all three stories to be very engaging, and found myself interested in reading more about each
Wayne McCoy
A quick,enjoyable read of three short stories by M.J. Rose each involving a larger than life suspense character from a famous series. Authorized by their creators, M.J. Rose does a very favorable treatment, truly capturing each characters unique voice.

Her own character, Dr. Morgan Snow, is a sex therapist who stars in her own series. Dr. Snow finds herself interacting with each of these men, either through therapy sessions, or by being threatened or endangered. None of the encounters feels force
Jenni
I got this galley for free through Netgalley.
3 short stories that were likable and since I don't know any of those three men who are fictional males that was created by three different authors, so this is just my subjective view on this book.
But I really enjoyed the first session with Cotton Malone, it was very real and I think the most interesting one. The one with assassin John Rain were kind of confusing since Dr Snow were under the pressure that one of her client's husband threatened her, so
Antoinette
Not bad for a freebie...

I like the Butterfield Institute stories. This one was intriguing because it included Reacher, Cotton Malone, and John Rain, three unlikely candidates for sex therapy. What's nice also is the original audiobook narrators for all these characters (e.g. Natalie Ross, Phil Gigante, Scott Brick, Barry Eisler, and Dick Hill) took part in the production.

The author interview with M.J. Rose at the end was really cool. Very interesting story about how she collaborated with Steve
Amanda
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do believe this was a free download from Audible.com and the downloads/proceed went to charity. I figured it was a worth a shot to try new characters and authors. Besides, it was only 1:45 hours long.

I wasn't all that thrilled. The main character, Dr. Morgan Snow, is a sex therapist and she did pretty much what I can stand in books...over analyzed everything and everybody.

As a somewhat pleasant side effect though, I did get interested in the other characters from other authors (Steve Berry, L
Crazy for Books (Stephanie)
Lisa
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WARNING: Very Adult content, as one character is a sex therapist. This is not suitable for younger readers.

This one intrigued me. Combining characters from the works of 4 different authors. And it truly did not disappoint.

The glimpse of the characters in a setting outside of their usual element was fascinating. This was well written and you can tell that there was collaboration by the original creators of the characters of Rain, Jack Reacher, and Cotton Malone. I found it refreshing, partly beca
Karen
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rose does a great job of having her therapist Dr. Morgan Snow talk with (Lee Child's) Jack Reacher, (Barry Eisler's) John Rain, and (Steve Berry's) Cotton Malone. As they each have a therapy session, you learn more about their personality, quirks, and foibles. Fans of these thriller alpha-heroes will find it a must read. It's very humourous to hear hard as nails, lone wolf detectives being interviewed by a therapist of any kind. A sex therapist is even funnier.

Readers who enjoy the Internationa
  • A Vampire's Salvation (Beyond Human Novellas, #1)
  • Lust (Three Stages of Love, #1)
  • Take It Off! The Naked Truth About Male Strippers
  • Cold Light
  • The Two (January David #2)
  • In Our House: Perception Vs Reality
  • Dangerous Illusions (Dangerous #1)
  • Claiming Lauren (eXclave, #1)
  • Starstruck Romance and Other Hollywood Tails: A Second Acts Novel
  • Eyes of the Predator: The Pickham County Murders
  • Stay With Me (Brenna Spector, #3)
  • Hero of My Heart
  • The Reluctant Countess
  • The Border Laird's Bride (Borderland Brides #2)
  • Tucker's Fall   (Purgatory Masters, #1)
  • The Geneva Decision (Sabel Security #1)
  • Kill Zone (Lucy Guardino FBI Thriller #3)
  • The Art Of War (Chung Kuo Recast, #5)

New York Times Bestseller, M.J. Rose grew up in New York City mostly in the labyrinthine galleries of the Metropolitan Museum, the dark tunnels and lush gardens of Central Park and reading her mother's favorite books before she was allowed. She believes mystery and magic are all around us but we are too often too busy to notice... books that exaggerate mystery and magic draw attention to it and re
“Needing someone doesn't make you weak, it makes you feel. And feeling is how you know you're alive. -Jack Reacher” 8 likes