Start by marking “The Deposit Slip” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  754 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
This Gripping Legal Thriller Is a Perfect Summer Read
When Jared Neaton grew tired of the shady ethics of his big law firm and left to go out on his own, he never expected the wheels to fly off so quickly. One big case collapsing on him has pushed him to the brink and it's all he can do to scrape by. He can't risk another bad loss.
Erin Larson is running out of options. In
Published July 1st 2012 by Bethany House Publishers

Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have a friend who is an aspiring writer. He bemoans the fact that unless a book is filled with foul language or graphic sex or some other objectionable material, then it is impossible to get published. Here is proof that he is wrong.

This was a good read and I'm a bit surprised that it is a first novel. I didn't think it read like one. And how refreshing to find it so absorbing without the seemingly requisite foul language, graphic sex or other objectionable material.

I started it last night,
Morally-sound-legal-thriller. Sounds like an oxymoron, right? But it's an apt description for Todd Johnson’s - “The Deposit Slip.” Clean writing, enthralling legal case, complex plot, realistic dialogue, solicitous protagonist, and incremental suspense - all without being overly graphic or profane.

“I tell you that litigation is just war by other means. A war for the hearts and minds of the judge and jurors. Of course, in the courtroom no blood is spilled . . . At least none that reaches the flo
Meagan Myhren-bennett
by Todd M. Johnson

Jared Neaton's law firm is about to go under when he is offered potentially career changing case. A case that could take care of all his financial problems. Seven months ago Erin Larson found a deposit slip in her late father's papers - a deposit slip worth more than $10,000,000.00. But the bank refuses to acknowledge the authenticity of the deposit slip or the bank account.

But Jared has a week to decide if he will take the case or it will be dismissed. Taking t
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the third legal suspense I've read in about a month, and I'm getting a much better picture of how lawsuits work. I'd hope I'd never get involved in a case like this one, though--how do you prove something exists when the proof was wiped out years ago? Of course, any time people are involved, no cover-up can be completely guaranteed.

I enjoyed watching Jared and his crew do the impossible, and while I knew it had to work out in the end, it looked oh-so-grim for a while. It certainly kept m
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I read this through in one evening, couldn't put it down. Pacing was good, though no seat-gripping action until near the end (that's good--too much suspense too early is too much for me). I'm satisfied with the ending, left me wanting to read a sequel that was lightly hinted at, if it exists.

I especially loved the helpfulness of the librarian (since I'm married to one) and the private detectives added good bit of intrigue to the story...if I had one complaint I'd almost have liked to hear more f
LLona Cunningham
Oct 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If you love a good legal mystery, courtroom drama, and the kind of background and drama that made Grisham famous, you'll find this one too good to put down. The premise is not new -- the young lawyer striking out on his own, underfunded and understaffed, taking on the established 'big firm' with a case he shouldn't be able to win, has been done by the big names. What makes it work again here is the interesting twists and excellent character development. A great read!
Una Tiers
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
An interesting plot with characters who were over thought in parts and shallow in others. There was one plot stretch that simply did not work for me and a few spots where the pace slowed to a crawl. The author has some lovely phrasing.
Carol McClain
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book--and it surprised me that this is a debut novel. Todd M. Johnson writes a wonderful legal suspense, and if you like John Grisham, you'll like this.
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second time of reading this book was even better than the first!

I love Todd Johnson's riding in the way he develops the characters in the courtroom drama, all without adding all the foul words to make his point. The only problem is at the end of reading his books you feel like you've lost a friend. I can't wait to read his new book when it comes out soon.
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a quick read.....basic legal thriller with a twist involving a large bank deposit that seems to have disappeared. The characters were likeable and some had side family issues resolved along with the overall court drama. The story flowed well and was enjoyable.
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very engaging new author I just came across. This is a novel of a young lawyer striking out on his own against the big firm that he used to be part of. Just as good if not better than John Grisham.
Lisa Johnson
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Title: The Deposit Slip
Author: Todd M. Johnson
Pages: 368
Year: 2012
Publisher: Bethany
Note: I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review. Follow my other reviews at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspo... and on twitter @lcjohnson1988
This is a debut novel by Todd Johnson, which kept getting better the more I read. I just couldn’t put it down. The story has many twists and turns that keep the ending veiled until the last page. Unlike other novels, I liked that the chapters wer
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-star credit

I was pretty impressed by this story. It had a lot of good elements, a nice pace, and an interesting conclusion. I'm still scratching my head ability a few things, but I can't get into them without major spoilers and I don't want to do that. I'll just suspend belief and rate it as noted. Good story!
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Just when things can't possibly get any worse for her, Erin Larson discovers a deposit slip in her father's safe deposit box dated for February 10, 2008, three years earlier before her dad died. It's drawn on Ashley State Bank for the amount of $10.3 million dollars and Erin has no idea where the money is or how her father obtained it.

As she begins to inquire to the whereabouts of the funds through the bank, she is only told that no such deposit was ever made, and there is no account with that n
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it

I thought the premise for this novel was very exciting. After Erin Larson’s father dies, she goes through his safe deposit box at the bank. Erin is shocked when she finds a deposit slip for ten million dollars. However, the bank claims to have no record of the deposit, and they claim the bank account does not exist.

Erin is determined to find out what’s happened to this money. She attempts to hire a lawyer to take on her case – she hires several since most
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
Remember, one man's breezy summary may bew another man's spoiler.

A youngish lawyer - out in solo practice after leaving a prestigious firm - has a strained relationship with father. He takes a plaintiff's civil case in the Minnesota small town he's tried to leave behind - and his client is a youngish woman who had a strained relationship with her now deceased dad, and now must unravel the mysterious bank deposit slip she finds when going through his possessions.

An attorney who takes on a conting
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it
In The Deposit Slip, the debut novel by Todd M. Johnson, Jared Neaton is a lawyer looking for his breakthrough case–that is, the case that will bring in enough money to keep his fledgling law firm from going under before it really gets started. He thought he had found it, until a big loss in the courtroom left him struggling to make ends meet. Just as he is wondering if it was such a good idea to leave the big firm and strike out on his own, his old mentor calls with a mysterious referral that p ...more
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was quickly sucked in as the characters had plenty of depth. I quickly was involved in their lives and interested in what would happen. There is Jared, who's story isn't just focused on being a killer attorney, but trying to find a way to live with a past he hasn't come to terms with. That whole side of him makes him so much more interesting than just a money-thirsty-attorney. And Jessie, Jared's assistant, she quickly became one of my favorites in the book - yes she probably falls into the mi ...more
Nikole Hahn
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When Jared Neaton left Missions Falls, he left behind the gossip and a father who spent time in prison for embezzlement. When Erin Larson picks up the pieces of her father’s estate after his death, she finds in her father’s safe deposit box a deposit slip dated 2008 for 10 million dollars. The Deposit Slip by Todd M. Johnson is a story of legal intrigue.

Suing the bank in Missions Falls proves dangerous. Erin’s first attorney backs down from the bullying tactics of the big law firm. Money is runn
Christian Fiction Addiction
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this debut novel from Todd M. Johnson and can confidently say it’s my favourite debut novel of the year, so far!

Now, to be fair, I love legal thrillers, so that fact alone gives this book a significant advantage. However, not only is this book a legal’s a well-written legal thriller! The writing is taut and the pacing spot-on, and it did not at all feel like I was reading a debut novel. The story captured my interest from the first chapter, and didn't let go as
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping Read

Saying the words "page turner" seem incredibly hokey, but also incredibly accurate. Since I had this book on my phone via kindle, I snuck pages in at the stoplight and while at work (just between us, of course). As a fan of Tim Downs and Randy Singer, I was a little afraid I wouldn't find another Christian author that wrote as well. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find yet another author who could create authentic suspense.
Cynthia Rodrigues Manchekar
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full & Detailed review:

I would never have believed that this book was Todd Johnson's debut. He writes in an accomplished style you might well associate with someone who has published before. I admired the author’s research on the legal and banking industries and how things work there. Incidentally, Todd is a practicing attorney, and he puts his knowledge and experience to good use here.
The author must also be credited for the characterization. Todd ha
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Wow, I just finished reading this book and my head is still spinning! If you like Randy Singer, then Todd Johnson is a must! So many times when reading this book I was so nervous at what was happening. There is no way to keep up with the twists and turns that happen in this story, it is full of them. And when you think its calmed down a bit, hold on to your seat because it takes another turn.

Todd Johnson will sure go on my list of favorite authors, and I will keep an eye
Gail Welborn
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Tom Johnson, attorney and debut novelist, unveils The Deposit slip, a gripping legal thriller set in the small Minnesota town of Mission Falls. His well-crafted story concerns a beautiful client, an unusual deposit slip, shady ethics, greed, malice and murder, constructed with the expertise of a seasoned novelist. From the authentic dialogue to the gripping diabolical plot and unraveling chain of events, readers are kept guessing until the last page is turned.

The story begins with Erin Lawson se
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
When Jared Neaton is handed a lawsuit involving a deposit slip and a large sum of money, he sees this as a chance to put his struggling law practice in the black for a long time. With the opposition throwing everything they have at him and trying to stop him, Jared is determined to get to the truth. Yet even with the outcome becoming increasingly not in his favor, Jared still struggles to find answers for his client. As he searches for answers, he finds himself back in his hometown and trying to ...more
Aug 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I hate suspense. I'm the one who reads spoiler alerts before starting a book. I have been known, when things get really tense, to skip to the end of a book to find out what happens so I can read in peace! I didn't do that with this book, but boy howdy, I wanted to! I ended up sacrificing my entire morning yesterday to read the last half of the book so I could just be done with it. I couldn't stand not knowing how everything was going to turn out. Now that I think about it, I don't usually read s ...more
Barb Klein
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
“The Deposit Slip” by Todd M. Johnson is a mystery novel that keeps you in suspense throughout the entire book. I found it reminiscent of “The Firm” by Grisham. The reason I say that is because this is the story of a young lawyer, Jared Neaton, a former member of a very prestigious law firm, who takes the case of a young woman who is trying to close her father’s estate. Erin is cleaning out his safety deposit box at the local bank and finds a deposit slip in the amount of $10.3 million dollars. ...more
Feb 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: from-library
Attorney Todd M. Johnson is a first time author who mines the area he knows best--the law--for his debut novel. Like a contract, it's complex and full of things that while dry are worthy of your attention.

Jared's mentor who like Jared left a big time Minnesota law firm convinces Jared to take what should be a break through case but ends up nearly being a back breaking case. Erin Larson discovers her deceased father left behind in a safety deposit box a deposit slip for $10,000,000. The local sma
The Deposit Slip is nail-biting legal fiction. When an old man dies, his daughter Erin finds a deposit slip for ten million dollars in his safe deposit box. Erin can’t imagine where the money could have come from, and the bank denies the existence of the account. It goes to such lengths to discourage any lawyer from taking the case and convince Erin to drop it, that there is obviously more to it than a simple bank error. I found it a little hard to understand why Erin would go after the money so ...more
Max de Freitas
Sep 27, 2012 rated it liked it
This surprisingly good mystery novel piqued my interest and held it by moving quickly through scenes like a good movie with a dramatic and unpredictable end. It was obviously written by a knowledgeable lawyer. There is a suggestion of continuity so it might evolve into a series.

The book is set in Minnesota but one never quite gets a feel for the place. I was surprised to find that the author still lives there. I once did. It is a picturesque place with many lakes, lush forests, verdant farmland,
  • The Last Plea Bargain
  • Redeeming Grace
  • Nothing to Hide (A Roland March Mystery, #3)
  • Poison (Bloodline Trilogy, #2)
  • Not This Time (Crossroads Crisis Center, #3)
  • Attracted to Fire
  • The Guardian
  • Thunder in the Morning Calm (Pacific Rim #1)
  • Lethal Harvest (Bioethics #1)
  • Double Blind
  • The Soul Saver
  • The 13th Tribe  (Immortal Files #1)
  • Darkness Before Dawn
  • Heather Song
  • Lion of Babylon
  • Lethal Remedy (Prescription for Trouble, #4)
  • The Telling
  • Scraps of Evidence (Quilts of Love, #14)
Todd M. Johnson has been a practicing attorney for over 30 years. Todd's passion for writing blends well with his legal career, and his novels are drawn closely from his personal experiences as a trial lawyer.

A graduate of Princeton University and the University of Minnesota Law School, Todd taught for two years as an adjunct professor of International Law, and has served as a US diplomat in Hong
More about Todd M. Johnson...

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Secrets of Southern Girls: A Novel
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Dorchester Terrace (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #27)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Flower Net (Red Princess, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99