Start by marking “Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, #5)” as Want to Read:
Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, #5)

Pop Goes the Weasel

(Alex Cross #5)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  59,838 ratings  ·  1,268 reviews
Detective Alex Cross is back-and he's in love. But his happiness is threatened by a series of chilling murders in Washington, D.C., murders with a pattern so twisted they leave investigators reeling. Cross's pursuit of the killer produces a suspect, a British diplomat named Geoffrey Shafer. But proving he's the murderer becomes a potentially deadly task. As Shafer engages ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 461 pages
Published October 1st 2000 by TIme Warner Books (first published October 19th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Pop Goes the Weasel, please sign up.
Kobe I think it would be best if you start off with along came a spider so you can get a good feel for Alex Cross and his family.
Maria I wouldn't recommend any of the books in the series for a 6th grader. I am on the 5th one but I don't see it going all butterflies and rainbows from h…moreI wouldn't recommend any of the books in the series for a 6th grader. I am on the 5th one but I don't see it going all butterflies and rainbows from here.(less)

·  59,838 ratings  ·  1,268 reviews

Start your review of Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, #5)
Phrynne
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not the best Alex Cross book I have read but it was still totally readable and very entertaining. I like Alex Cross and his little family and I enjoyed the side story of his relationship with Christine. The main story of the Four Horsemen was, in true Patterson form, way over the top but still absolutely engrossing and page turning.
I am steadily working my way through the Alex Cross series. I pick one up every time I feel like a good book which will entertain me without me having to think. So fa
Suzanne
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad at all. Moved quickly and I enjoyed the four horsemen concept for the killers. Alex is a great character to read about and the personalism of this installment made for a more edge of your seat read. But I found it predictable so that’s why I went to three stars. It was still interesting though.

My quick and simple overall: an interesting quick read you can read in one afternoon.
jv poore
Mar 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Pop Goes the Weasel is the 5th book featuring Alex Cross. This book is written a bit differently, in that, the reader knows who-did-it right away, Cross figures it out quickly; however, diplomatic immunity forces the plot more towards 'will he be made to pay for his crimes' rather than, 'will he be caught'. The abrupt twist at the end was a fabulous way to end the book.....also, it means that I can't wait to pick up the 6th.
Juli
I started reading this series during The Great American Read. I was familiar with James Patterson, mostly because his name is splashed all over so many books as author, co-author, or whatever you want to call his publication style, but I had never actually read one of his books. I discovered quickly that I actually like Alex Cross, a Washington D.C. psychologist who becomes a detective. Cross investigates some gritty, hard-hitting cases. The series reads like a television thriller series or an o ...more
Rob
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers
Book 5 in the Alex Cross series.
If you have enjoyed the Alex Cross books in the past then you'll enjoy this one.
Alex, once again, is up to his neck in it. Hunting down a psychopathic serial killer with the obligatory damsel in distress to rescue. This time it's more personal, the damsel in need of rescuing is his new fiancé Christine Johnson.
Inside you will find drugs, not much sex, a lot of dead young females and a very sick psychopath. All in a day's work for Alex.
This is a slick, easy read bu
Bill Khaemba
It had an exciting plot and was Interesting to some extent but being the forth book in a series, it fell flat for me.

The Killer was interesting and some parts of the book held my attention but my constant checking of how many pages I have left made me question if I am really invested in the story... Then the easy ending was just meh and felt a little to convenient.

I would suggest you read it as a series, instead of a stand alone.

BLOG ---> https://kenyanlibrary.wordpress.com/

Thanks for reading
Anna Koch
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Pop Goes the Weasel" is a very easy book to read. I got it done in two days. The story line sometimes made me mad, due to the fact that the killer kept getting away with everything. The ending was happy though. I recommend this book to people who like to read mysteries because the one in this book is very intense.
Jaguthin
Jul 12, 2007 rated it did not like it
I could not get past page 12 before I wanted to hurl this piece of drivel down a well then toss a rock after it to prevent it's accidental discovery.

I didn't know it was possible to create such horrible sterotypes and to write with this level of immaturity.

Maybe I should have read further, but after hearing the young black kid actually say, "Yo, yo, yo" I had to find better things to do with my time.

Amanda McGill
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I can't stand the character, Alex Cross, however I really enjoyed the story line and the villain of Pop Goes the Weasel.

Alex Cross is facing a new killer, one that is totally random in his killings. He seems to blend into the crowds and no one notices him. The reader knows right away that the villain is British diplomat, Geoffrey Shafer, however the whole point is whether or not Alex Cross can figure out who the Weasel is.

I don't like Alex Cross. He doesn't seem realistic at all - perfect fath
Brandy
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pop goes the weasel because the weasel goes pop! Holy, cow! Why didn’t I discover this Alex Cross series before now?

In this savage, twisted tale, we’re given all of the good stuff - that being pure psycho craziness, a touch of sex, a lot of murder and even more mayhem! And yes, kids, there’s a bit of romance added to give it some flavor. 5stars
Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, audiobook
This dark & gritty unabridged audiobook was the perfect choice for a dreary, misty morning ride to work. This was my first glimpse into the world of Alex Cross and once I finished this book I realized I've been missing out on some potentially excellent reads. Most hardboiled mysteries are too dry for my tastes and my mind starts drifting away but this one hooked me from the beginning with its attention to characterization and the emotional affects of crime on the victims left behind.

The story,
Alaina
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pop Goes the Weasel was so freaking good. In this book, Alex proposes to the love of his life, Christine. Which at first I didn't really care about their relationship but this book totally made me fall even more in love with his family and I didn't mind Christine being the new addition to. The ending was so good and happy for his family. But then that god damn epilogue was so freaking good. It made me sad as well because of Death. Death is the new villain in this book. He is apart of the Four Ho ...more
Charlotte Smith
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: james-patterson
Another fast pace Alex cross book, omg wasn't expecting the ending I got on this one but nice to see some happy outcome for Alex.
-A
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A new serial killer, Alex Cross, more mystery, thrilling turn of events? Count me in!!

This is the perfect example of a flowing story you can lose yourself in. The plot is told by multiple POVs (Alex Cross', Geoffrey Shafer's, Bayer's, Patty Hampton's) but you never awake from the spell this book puts on you. It's never disturbing, never out of place.
There's something I appreciate about James Patterson's work: it's always interesting. There's no need for me to read a third of the book or half of
Beth
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Originally on my book blog!

Can I just flail instead of write a review? This was a masterpiece and you should believe me because I don’t use that word often. Everything was fabulous in this book. The characters (that’s nothing new), the plot (also nothing new), the plot twists (go figure), and the ending (SHOCKER, THAT).

No really, this book was like fictional quicksand (as opposed to real quicksand that actually takes a really long time to swallow you up.) This book took a full two minutes, if th
David
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Years ago, I gave up on Patterson after reading 1/5 of this book. I suppose seeing the author's name on the new release shelf 365 days a year makes it difficult to ignore him, and I decided to give this book another try. The first time was in audio form, which seems to highlight the worst traits of James Patterson - this being the inane dialog and the totally unbelievable villains. Seriously, I've read graphic novels and other comic books with more lifelike villains than Geoffrey Shaffer (AKA th ...more
John
I'm embarrassed to give this book three stars. The writing is just so awful... But yet, I will grudgingly admit that I enjoyed POP GOES THE WEASEL, despite my opinion that Patterson wastes a lot of great opportunities here. I thought the RPG angle was cool, but horribly underutilized (all the guy ever does is just throw a friggin' dice! How lame is that?!) Ditto the murder trial angle. Ditto the kidnapping angle. Ditto "The Four Horsemen" angle.
Ditto just about everything.
But, still, it was a de
Janet Arbuckle
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great read...Patterson's usual excitment. The only thing that annoys me about his Alex Cross books is the space he insists on using to talk about his family and love life. Skip all that and get on with the crime story!!! The old Patterson books are all like this...the newer ones are simply junk...stuff he has put his name on but must be written by his co-authors, cause it's pretty bad in my eyes. Anyhow, it was entertaining to read the "old" Patterson who was a MASTER at this genre. I ...more
Gary
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reading a series pop pop pop helps me, forces me to stay objective, maybe. A pretty good story, but a step behind the others.
Brittany
Well that was a weird ending.

Another excellent Alex Cross addition to the series with a brilliant and sick psycho killer and Alex in distraught most of the book. It was great to see a support system come through to assist him on this one. I hope we get to see more of a resolution to events in this book.

Overall this was another wonderful adventure but it felt less "wrapped up" in MANY ways with a lot of unanswered questions and a weird ending that was somewhat strange for sure.

Looking forward t
Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜
SHORT REVIEW

This book was not only a huge load of drivel, but Patterson thought writing about the most generic, cookie cutter, stereotypical characters would make his story worth reading. I'm not sure why this seems to be a big trend for these massive paperback horror/mystery authors (I've noticed this trend with Dean Koontz), but it's getting aggravating and it needs to die. It's worse than all these cheap, vampire romances I keep coming across.

The dialogue in this book is, pardon the French, S
Cheryl
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Alex Cross finally asks Christine to marry him and they go on a trip where she is kidnapped. He finally goes back home and there is another serial killer on the loose. Truly terrifying of an average looking man who is really a total killer. It is a game he plays and plays well.
Tvguy347
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'll skip the synopsis. Honestly, James Patterson DOES what he's supposed to, and that's to craft a gripping, thrilling read and this story SOMEWHAT delivers. It's less than superior to other Alex Cross novels. I feel that (after reading a few Cross mysteries) most of these villains (The Wolf, The Mastermind, The Weasel, etc.) feel the same way. They're cardboard. Colonel Geoffrey Shafer (aka The Weasel) is somewhat developed, although he still (for some reason, in my opinion) moves stiffly. I f ...more
Kristyanna
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery/thriller/suspense readers
Detective Alex Cross investigates the murders of "Jane Does" which seem random to most investigators. Geoffry Shafer is a serial killer who picks his victims by playing a role playing game called The Four Horsemen. A simple role of the dice will determine if that person will live or die. Anyone can be a player in the game without realizing it including his own family.

As much as I do love the Alex Cross series so far, I am getting frustrated with how each serial killer that Cross faces has to inv
Talia Colley
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Alex Cross is investigating a string of unsolved murders in the Southeast area of D.C. That the rest of the police force seems to ignore. After a cop who had recently started looking into the murders is murdered while following a suspect, Alex takes over and arrests the suspect, Geoffrey Shaffer, a British diplomat. In a surprise twist, Shaffer waives his diplomatic immunity and wants to go to trial. This was a solid entry in the Alex Cross series. Alex's family and career do evolve over the cou ...more
Patricia
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have loved all of the Alex Cross books and this one was iffy iffy for me, until about 3 quarters into the book... After that, you didn't want to put the book down. Still the last chapter, doesn't seem like the end of the story as of yet, so onto the next book!!!
Carrie
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic, thrilling instalment in the Alex Cross series! I just couldn't put it down.
Tony
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
James Patterson- Pop Goes the Weasel (Warner Books 2000) 3.75 Stars

Alex Cross is finally engaged, and yes it is to Christine! Cross is after British diplomat Geoffrey Shafer, a serial killer having fun while playing a deadly game of dice. For the first time we see Cross in court trying to prove Shafer’s guilt, which may not be as easy as it seems. The two go back and forth moving and counter-moving, all in the effort to gain control of the situation.

Once again I enjoyed Alex Cross. He is a very
David Roberts
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book I am reviewing in this post is Pop Goes The Weasel by James Patterson which is a very good book which I bought from a car boot sale. I think this is quite an interesting story that questions the morality of diplomatic immunity. The story kicks off with someone with diplomatic immunity ignoring red lights in his car and driving the wrong way up a freeway for a bit of a thrill and getting away with it. The story centres around an online role playing game that 4 people are involved in and ...more
Jasmyne
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Despite this being the first James Patterson/Alex Cross book I've ever read, I feel like I still got all the pieces I needed to understand how this detective works, thinks and feels. I'm usually not into mysteries and I kicked and screamed through a good third of it before it finally snagged my attention.

The story itself does what it's supposed to; it makes me uncomfortable with the killer makes me hate him due to his insanity and his lack of feeling towards the others around him. This feeling i
2020 & 2021 Readi...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross #5) 25 174 Sep 03, 2018 09:04AM

• Roses Are Red by James Patterson Summary & Study Guide
  • JAMES PATTERSON’S ALEX CROSS SERIES READING ORDER WITH CHECKLIST: ALEX CROSS SERIES READING ORDER LIST WITH SPECIAL ADDED MATERIAL - UPDATED IN 2017 (Ultimate Reading List)
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • Hope to Die: by James Patterson (Alex Cross Book 22) | Summary & Analysis
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo

Alex Cross (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)
  • Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2)
  • Jack & Jill (Alex Cross, #3)
  • Cat and Mouse (Alex Cross, #4)
  • Roses are Red (Alex Cross, #6)
  • Violets Are Blue (Alex Cross, #7)
  • Four Blind Mice (Alex Cross, #8)
  • The Big Bad Wolf  (Alex Cross, #9)
  • London Bridges (Alex Cross, #10)
  • Mary, Mary (Alex Cross, #11)