Start by marking “Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, #5)” as Want to Read:
Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, #5)

Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross #5)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  51,839 Ratings  ·  1,020 Reviews
Detective Alex Cross is back-and he's in love. But his happiness is threatened by a series of chilling murders in Washington, D.C., murders with a pattern so twisted they leave investigators reeling. Cross's pursuit of the killer produces a suspect, a British diplomat named Geoffrey Shafer. But proving he's the murderer becomes a potentially deadly task. As Shafer engages ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 461 pages
Published October 1st 2000 by TIme Warner Books (first published October 19th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Pop Goes the Weasel, please sign up.
Kobe I think it would be best if you start off with along came a spider so you can get a good feel for Alex Cross and his family.

Phrynne
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
Not the best Alex Cross book I have read but it was still totally readable and very entertaining. I like Alex Cross and his little family and I enjoyed the side story of his relationship with Christine. The main story of the Four Horsemen was, in true Patterson form, way over the top but still absolutely engrossing and page turning.
I am steadily working my way through the Alex Cross series. I pick one up every time I feel like a good book which will entertain me without me having to think. So fa
Suzanne
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad at all. Moved quickly and I enjoyed the four horsemen concept for the killers. Alex is a great character to read about and the personalism of this installment made for a more edge of your seat read. But I found it predictable so that’s why I went to three stars. It was still interesting though.

My quick and simple overall: an interesting quick read you can read in one afternoon.
Anna Koch
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Pop Goes the Weasel" is a very easy book to read. I got it done in two days. The story line sometimes made me mad, due to the fact that the killer kept getting away with everything. The ending was happy though. I recommend this book to people who like to read mysteries because the one in this book is very intense.
Rob
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: serial-thrillers
Book 5 in the Alex Cross series.
If you have enjoyed the Alex Cross books in the past then you'll enjoy this one.
Alex, once again, is up to his neck in it. Hunting down a psychopathic serial killer with the obligatory damsel in distress to rescue. This time it's more personal, the damsel in need of rescuing is his new fiancé Christine Johnson.
Inside you will find drugs, not much sex, a lot of dead young females and a very sick psychopath. All in a day's work for Alex.
This is a slick, easy read bu
Amanda McGill
Apr 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
I can't stand the character, Alex Cross, however I really enjoyed the story line and the villain of Pop Goes the Weasel.

Alex Cross is facing a new killer, one that is totally random in his killings. He seems to blend into the crowds and no one notices him. The reader knows right away that the villain is British diplomat, Geoffrey Shafer, however the whole point is whether or not Alex Cross can figure out who the Weasel is.

I don't like Alex Cross. He doesn't seem realistic at all - perfect fath
Jaguthin
Jul 12, 2007 rated it did not like it
I could not get past page 12 before I wanted to hurl this piece of drivel down a well then toss a rock after it to prevent it's accidental discovery.

I didn't know it was possible to create such horrible sterotypes and to write with this level of immaturity.

Maybe I should have read further, but after hearing the young black kid actually say, "Yo, yo, yo" I had to find better things to do with my time.

Bark
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, mystery
This dark & gritty unabridged audiobook was the perfect choice for a dreary, misty morning ride to work. This was my first glimpse into the world of Alex Cross and once I finished this book I realized I've been missing out on some potentially excellent reads. Most hardboiled mysteries are too dry for my tastes and my mind starts drifting away but this one hooked me from the beginning with its attention to characterization and the emotional affects of crime on the victims left behind.

The sto
Bill Khaemba
It had an exciting plot and was Interesting to some extent but being the forth book in a series, it fell flat for me.

The Killer was interesting and some parts of the book held my attention but my constant checking of how many pages I have left made me question if I am really invested in the story... Then the easy ending was just meh and felt a little to convenient.

I would suggest you read it as a series, instead of a stand alone.

BLOG ---> https://kenyanlibrary.wordpress.com/

Thanks for readi
Charlotte Smith
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: james-patterson
Another fast pace Alex cross book, omg wasn't expecting the ending I got on this one but nice to see some happy outcome for Alex.
Alaina Meserole
Pop Goes the Weasel was so freaking good. In this book, Alex proposes to the love of his life, Christine. Which at first I didn't really care about their relationship but this book totally made me fall even more in love with his family and I didn't mind Christine being the new addition to. The ending was so good and happy for his family. But then that god damn epilogue was so freaking good. It made me sad as well because of Death. Death is the new villain in this book. He is apart of the Four Ho ...more
-A
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A new serial killer, Alex Cross, more mystery, thrilling turn of events? Count me in!!

This is the perfect example of a flowing story you can lose yourself in. The plot is told by multiple POVs (Alex Cross', Geoffrey Shafer's, Bayer's, Patty Hampton's) but you never awake from the spell this book puts on you. It's never disturbing, never out of place.
There's something I appreciate about James Patterson's work: it's always interesting. There's no need for me to read a third of the book or half of
Beth
Originally on my book blog!

Can I just flail instead of write a review? This was a masterpiece and you should believe me because I don’t use that word often. Everything was fabulous in this book. The characters (that’s nothing new), the plot (also nothing new), the plot twists (go figure), and the ending (SHOCKER, THAT).

No really, this book was like fictional quicksand (as opposed to real quicksand that actually takes a really long time to swallow you up.) This book took a full two minutes, if th
David
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Years ago, I gave up on Patterson after reading 1/5 of this book. I suppose seeing the author's name on the new release shelf 365 days a year makes it difficult to ignore him, and I decided to give this book another try. The first time was in audio form, which seems to highlight the worst traits of James Patterson - this being the inane dialog and the totally unbelievable villains. Seriously, I've read graphic novels and other comic books with more lifelike villains than Geoffrey Shaffer (AKA th ...more
John
I'm embarrassed to give this book three stars. The writing is just so awful... But yet, I will grudgingly admit that I enjoyed POP GOES THE WEASEL, despite my opinion that Patterson wastes a lot of great opportunities here. I thought the RPG angle was cool, but horribly underutilized (all the guy ever does is just throw a friggin' dice! How lame is that?!) Ditto the murder trial angle. Ditto the kidnapping angle. Ditto "The Four Horsemen" angle.
Ditto just about everything.
But, still, it was a de
jv poore
Mar 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: alex-cross
Pop Goes the Weasel is the 5th book featuring Alex Cross. This book is written a bit differently, in that, the reader knows who-did-it right away, Cross figures it out quickly; however, diplomatic immunity forces the plot more towards 'will he be made to pay for his crimes' rather than, 'will he be caught'. The abrupt twist at the end was a fabulous way to end the book.....also, it means that I can't wait to pick up the 6th.
Tvguy347
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'll skip the synopsis. Honestly, James Patterson DOES what he's supposed to, and that's to craft a gripping, thrilling read and this story SOMEWHAT delivers. It's less than superior to other Alex Cross novels. I feel that (after reading a few Cross mysteries) most of these villains (The Wolf, The Mastermind, The Weasel, etc.) feel the same way. They're cardboard. Colonel Geoffrey Shafer (aka The Weasel) is somewhat developed, although he still (for some reason, in my opinion) moves stiffly. I f ...more
Janet Arbuckle
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a great read...Patterson's usual excitment. The only thing that annoys me about his Alex Cross books is the space he insists on using to talk about his family and love life. Skip all that and get on with the crime story!!! The old Patterson books are all like this...the newer ones are simply junk...stuff he has put his name on but must be written by his co-authors, cause it's pretty bad in my eyes. Anyhow, it was entertaining to read the "old" Patterson who was a MASTER at this genre. I ...more
🔮⚡️Voracious
What a fantastic, thrilling instalment in the Alex Cross series! I just couldn't put it down.
Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜
SHORT REVIEW

This book was not only a huge load of drivel, but Patterson thought writing about the most generic, cookie cutter, stereotypical characters would make his story worth reading. I'm not sure why this seems to be a big trend for these massive paperback horror/mystery authors (I've noticed this trend with Dean Koontz), but it's getting aggravating and it needs to die. It's worse than all these cheap, vampire romances I keep coming across.

The dialogue in this book is, pardon the French, S
Tony
Sep 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
James Patterson- Pop Goes the Weasel (Warner Books 2000) 3.75 Stars

Alex Cross is finally engaged, and yes it is to Christine! Cross is after British diplomat Geoffrey Shafer, a serial killer having fun while playing a deadly game of dice. For the first time we see Cross in court trying to prove Shafer’s guilt, which may not be as easy as it seems. The two go back and forth moving and counter-moving, all in the effort to gain control of the situation.

Once again I enjoyed Alex Cross. He is a very
David Roberts
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book I am reviewing in this post is Pop Goes The Weasel by James Patterson which is a very good book which I bought from a car boot sale. I think this is quite an interesting story that questions the morality of diplomatic immunity. The story kicks off with someone with diplomatic immunity ignoring red lights in his car and driving the wrong way up a freeway for a bit of a thrill and getting away with it. The story centres around an online role playing game that 4 people are involved in and ...more
Kristyanna
Dec 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery/thriller/suspense readers
Detective Alex Cross investigates the murders of "Jane Does" which seem random to most investigators. Geoffry Shafer is a serial killer who picks his victims by playing a role playing game called The Four Horsemen. A simple role of the dice will determine if that person will live or die. Anyone can be a player in the game without realizing it including his own family.

As much as I do love the Alex Cross series so far, I am getting frustrated with how each serial killer that Cross faces has to inv
Maureen DeLuca
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the 5th book in the Alex Cross Series (for me, reading this series for the very first time) The only thing that I can say is that I did enjoy it- wasn't the worst - and by far not the best I've read. I do know that if I had picked this book up, without reading the first 4- not sure how I would feel- If I would even continue on with the next book. But, I did read the prior 4 and they were all excellent. Starting with the first one Along came a Spider. I will continue to read the series, i ...more
Barbara Barth
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the few series that gets better and better. I don't know why it took me so long to do this series from the beginning. I love Alex Cross...Patterson does not disappoint! And a huge thank you for...well, I don't want to spoil anything...I'll just reiterate that Patterson has never let me down.
Hyderali
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really think this is one of the best book of James Patterson I've ever read. The character of Geoffrey Shafer is rocking. Even Alex Cross was looking perfect in this book. It is one of those books where you'll sit all night to finish it asap just to know the climax. I wish James Patterson write book like this only from now on. One of the best I ever read. Recommended!!
NiNi
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iskreno ja sam veliki obozavatelj ovakvih romana i Aleks Kros mi je jedan od omiljenih protagonista ali iz nekog razloga sam se jako nervirala citajuci ovu knjigu. Napeto je, zanimljivo, procitala sam je jako brzo jer nisam mogla da je ispustim iz ruku ali sve vreme sam razmisljala koliko me nerviraju tako proste recenice, radnja i likovi bez dubine, jednostavna objasnjenja i pokusaji metafore...
Mary
Sep 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I actually liked this book better than the other ones I have read by James Patterson.
Toni FGMAMTC
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, mystery, suspense
This was super engrossing for the most part. I wasn't as crazy about the ending. It was too much like you would expect it to go.
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Rae Lake
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: Pop Goes the Weasel 1 7 Aug 25, 2016 12:59AM
  • Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1)
  • The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)
  • Night Prey (Lucas Davenport, #6)
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
  • Cause of Death (Kay Scarpetta, #7)
  • Obsession (Alex Delaware, #21)
  • S is for Silence (Kinsey Millhone, #19)
  • Promise Me (Myron Bolitar, #8)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 375 million books worldwide and currently holds the Guinness World
More about James Patterson

Alex Cross (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)
  • Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2)
  • Jack & Jill (Alex Cross, #3)
  • Cat and Mouse (Alex Cross, #4)
  • Roses are Red (Alex Cross, #6)
  • Violets Are Blue (Alex Cross, #7)
  • Four Blind Mice (Alex Cross, #8)
  • The Big Bad Wolf  (Alex Cross, #9)
  • London Bridges (Alex Cross, #10)
  • Mary, Mary (Alex Cross, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Tyrannosaur Canyon
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
“Knowledge truly is power, it’s everything; if you don’t have any, pretend you do.” 2 likes
“This should be about as interesting as a rectal exam done with a cactus.” Dowd” 0 likes