Start by marking “Prison Nation (Prison Nation, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prison Nation (Prison Nation, #1)

Prison Nation (Prison Nation #1)

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  1,333 Ratings  ·  196 Reviews
In the Nation, no one is innocent - not even the children born behind bars. Millie 942B has spent her entire life locked away with her criminal parents and countless other inmates. She believes in the Nation, in its strict laws and harsh punishments.

But when Millie is released on her eighteenth birthday, she finds things are nothing as she was taught. People vanish, never
Published December 2nd 2011 (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Prison Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prison Nation

Dana
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it

What a great story, but man was that ending frustrating! I was hoping it would go in a different direction but I'm still intrigued to find out what happens next. The only thing I didn't like about this book was that there were way too many coincidences for me, and it really strained the believability. I'm okay with one big coincidence as a twist, but when you scatter them around like candy it gets to be a bit too much.

I loved the concept of the prison nation, I felt that it was realistic and I r
Kamilla
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
While the concept of this book was intriguing and really is what kept me reading. This book is in serious need of a plot and line edit. There were several plot points that just didn't make sense. And some simple sentence construction mistakes that made the writing choppy and incoherent at times.
Mille is in jail with her parents, they all live in the same cell, even though they were sent to jail before she was born for a crime. She is also allowed to walk around the jail where no one is segrega
Kami Dodson-Perry
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, blogged
I downloaded Prison Nation as a freebie not knowing what to expect. The description sounded interesting even though it is something I normally would not have read. I am glad I did, it was great.

Millie is what is known as a Jail Baby. Millie's parents are both in jail & she was born in jail. 50% of the population is in jail in this interesting world. The Nation is what the U.S. used to be before it broke free from the UN & put up a wall around itself to keep the bad out & the good in.
Lynxie
Prison Nation is a fantastic idea.

What would America be like if it sealed its boarders and the punishment for crimes (and even suspected crimes) became so harsh that the Nation needed massive prisons, large enough to house thousands and thousands of people?

You can find out, just by picking up this book.

Millie, our female protagonist experiences a significant personal journey throughout the book, but she does start out a little flat. I quite liked how things progressed, but I'd have liked a littl
Haley
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks-read
More accurately, I'd give this book a 3.5
I'm trying to decide if I should buy a paperback copy instead of simply owning the ebook.

Prison Nation was yet another cleverly done Dystopian book, which I thoroughly enjoyed!

Millie has spent her entire life, born and raised, in Spokane, one of the four prisons in what is now the walled in country of the United States. Since her parents, not she, are the ones who committed the crime which resulted in her life in prison, at the age of 18 she is finally g
Matt Schiariti
Nov 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I have to start by saying I loved the premise of this book. Imagine our country in the future. A future where it's easier to get thrown in prison than it is to stay out of it. A future where a massive wall has been erected round the entire country, cutting us off from the rest of the world. Imagine a world where if you're born to criminals in prison you're forced to pay for THEIR sins, unable to be released until your 18th birthday.

That's the world in which Millie 942B is born into. Her mother a
Kimmel Tippets
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in two days because I couldn't put it down. I am amazed that this is a debut novel.

The world of Prison Nation is fascinating and the main character, Millie, is no exception. From the first page I was invested in finding out what happens to her, what her life is really like inside of a prison, and what will happen to her if/when she is finally released. Her relationship with her parents is particularly interesting and definitely worth reading the book just to discover the intric
Marlo
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
The premise of this novel interested me enough to get started. My inability to finish a story made me finish it.

This felt like a rough draft. All the bones of the story down on paper, with none of the fleshing out. Also, it was hard to connect to most of the characters due to a lack of character development and I found some elements of the plot completely unrealistic.

I was disappointed because it seems like the author had an interesting thought and started to write about it. Somewhere along th
Elle
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book in about a day, which is a rare thing for me to do. What I probably liked most about this book is how different, yet cohesive, each part of the book is: Millie's life in prison and her life outside of it. With some books, the author doesn't spend nearly enough time describing the world their character's came from. Jenni takes time to introduce Millie's life within the prison before she enters her new life outside of it, and every detail about it was captivating.

I also liked the
Ashley
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
BookNook — Young Adult book reviews

I really wanted to enjoy this book because I love the idea of it, but I just kept waiting for that moment when it would get good, and it never came. It wasn't really horrible, but it never got interesting; it never piqued my interest; and I never felt invested in the story or characters.

In some ways, I feel like nothing really happened in Prison Nation . The plot is exactly as you would expect it to be with no surprises, no twists, no turns, and no exciting cl
Trisha
Dec 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Millie 942B was a Jail Baby. She was born and raised inside of Spokane Prison, living in small cell with her parents. She never knew why her parents were locked up but she didn’t want to know – soon she will be released into the Nation and be a part of the community. But doubt sets in her mind because everything will change when she turns 18. Finding out what her parents actually did made her furious but when she gets out, she finds out the truth about the Nation and the reason why everyone call ...more
Alisha
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A dystopian future that feels so real and realistic that you can almost see it coming. Millie is a young girl about to turn 18, and she was born and raised in prison. In this future, any small crime can land you decades in prisons as large as cities. Raised in blind belief of the system, by parents who rarely are focused on reality, Millie has always had to rely on herself. After reaching 18, she is finally released into the outside world, and allowed to meet people very different then her. As s ...more
Kristin
Found this for free on Amazon, and I must say I am very impressed that this is a debut novel.

Another self published book that I enjoyed. It takes place in a futuristic, messed up America,where people are no longer free until proven guilty.

Prison Nation had me glued from the beginning. Millie was born in the prison, lived in the prison her entire life, and was about to be released on her 18th birthday. While some may think that the beginning was slow and seemed to take forever for her to get on
Jun 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
This book started off and I loved it. I loved the whole first part of the book (though I thought it was odd that Carl just shows up suddenly...why didn't he get transfered sooner?). I was hoping it would continue being great once Millie got out, but unfortunately it just wasn't. Everything was so easy and happened so quickly. I felt no chemistry between Millie and Reed and everything was just like sudden. (view spoiler) ...more
Rolenda
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jenn
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I almost put this down after about fifteen pages or so, but I'm glad I didn't. I'm also content with the way it ended. I emailed the author asking if she intends to continue the story but from the other character's perspective, and she said she most likely will. In my opinion, he just doesn't seem strong enough to carry a full story of his own, but maybe that's just because we see and take everything in through Millie's perspective. There were a few things that were pretty predictable to me (I r ...more
Jamie
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book! Very well written and a unique concept. It was very different from all the other dystopians that I have read this month. This author shows a lot of promise. My only complaint was that the stories end felt like it should be the middle to me! It seemed like a new adventure was about to start and I was all set to keep reading and it was over. Hopefully there will be a second book to tell more about Milley and Riley, I would love to see how their story develops!
Kelley
Jul 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I would have done 3.5 if it was an option.

Amazon said if you liked The Hunger Games, you would like this. I didn't see that. I was more reminded of Twilight, mostly because of the naïveté of Millie. There was an unexpected twist and one I felt like I should have seen coming. Twists are good though.

The writing was a bit amateur and could have used better editing. I don't think eyes "creep" or "trail" as much as they do in this book.
Ruthie
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. I loved the book and I look forward to reading more work in the future by this budding author! I hear rumors there may be a second book about Millie (she left Prison Nation wide open for a sequel) and I know she has lots of other ideas.

Read my full review at: http://ruthiestickney.blogspot.com/20...
Trish
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think this book is AMAZING! The author did an awesome job giving details at certain points and holding others till later, which I found make me want to keep reading. The main character Millie has alot to learn about life and is just thrown into the world with no real knowledge of it, only what she has been told. Great read, great author and I cant wait for another book!
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked as soon as I started reading this book! I absolutely love it!One of the very best books I've read in quite a while! A very thought provoking book and very creative! Just the right amount of suspense! I hope there will be a sequel because I will be getting it the day it comes out!
Nicolas
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing unique story, its captivating and exciting as you follow the life of young Millie as she experiences life and discovers the truth about the world. This book will keep you reading nonstop til the end then have you waiting for a sequel.
Kyla
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought this book had an interesting concept. Not sure how much experience the author has had with writing but she did a fairly good job of fleshing out the story. Could have been a little more detailed and descriptive, but overall it was an enjoyable read.
Mary
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: after
I got this book free from Amazon so I wasn't expecting much. I was really surprised how good it was. The writing wasn't top of the line but the idea was really new and interesting. If you like books about the time "after" give this one a read.
Sherlie
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book loved every page turning moment.
Gabs {My Full Bookshelf Reviews}
The author managed to incorporate Hey Jude into a dystopian novel.

LIFE=COMPLETE.
Jaime
Mar 25, 2012 rated it liked it
It was good until about 80% of the way in. The ending kind of fell flat.
Michele
Nov 25, 2012 marked it as to-read
This has been in my tbr shelf for a while and it's FREE right now at Amazon. : )
Nathleen
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
such a great book!!! I hope she writes a sequel!!! SOOOOO good!
Goodreads Authors...: This Weekend Only: Prison Nation is FREE! 2 11 Dec 03, 2012 09:35AM
  • Shifting Pride
  • Alexander Drake's Extraordinary Pursuit (Azra's Pith, Book 1)
  • Cascade Brides (Cascade Brides #1-3)
  • Grace Doll
  • Reflection (Whitney Steel, #1)
  • Fire Within (Guardian Witch, #2)
  • Return of the Dragon Riders (Dragon Stone Saga #2)
  • Darklandia
  • The Pearl Savage (Savage, #1)
  • Twenty-Five Years Ago Today
  • Blood Oath (Gabby Girls Adventure, #2)
  • Price of a Bounty
  • Legend Unleashed (Keeping Secrets, #1)
  • Fall of Sky City (Devices of War, #1)
  • Rex Rising (Elei's Chronicles, #1)
  • City of the Falling Sky (The Seckry Sequence, #1)
  • Kiss Me, I'm Irish (Tennessee Waltz, #1)
  • The Annihilation of Foreverland (Foreverland, #1)
Jenni Merritt was born and raised on a small island in the Puget Sound. From a young age she discovered and fell in love with the world of writing and has been happily obsessed ever since. She is now married to the love of her life, and has two crazy but amazing little boys. When not busying herself with being a stay-at-home mom, writing books, keeping her blog, and diving into photography, Jenni ...more
More about Jenni Merritt...

Young Adult Deals

• Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Queens of Geek
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Perfected (Perfected #1)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Speak Easy, Speak Love
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 (The Adrian Mole Series)
  • Been Here All Along