Start by marking “The Memory of Water” as Want to Read:
The Memory of Water

The Memory of Water

Slade Harris will do anything for a story, including murdering the woman he loves.

Slade doesn’t think twice about jumping out of a plane or conducting disastrous love affairs to gather material for his work, but his self-indulgent life is catching up with him. Stumbling through his late thirties hopeless and a little drunk, Slade has a dazzling, dangerous idea which will
Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Memory of Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Memory of Water

Start your review of The Memory of Water
Mareli Thalwitzer
I am such a sucker for conspiracy theories, murder mysteries, Cluedo boardgames, Dallas, Twin Peaks.... You get the picture. And obviously J.T. Lawrence also got the picture. And she did so not disappoint me!

Jay Gatsby kills Hemingway in the library with a porcelain knife and they chat about it over a drink while picking up ladies in a dodgy bar.

Yes, that is exactly what is happening in this enticing story by one of the most versatile authors I've ever had the pleasure to read. Wait, that makes
Ted Tayler
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered"

Unconventional. Extraordinary. Frustrating. Confusing. Erotic. Exotic. Neurotic. Impossible to put down. It's one of those books you need to be crazy to read and crazy not to read, in equal measure. When you get to the end, and there's no other choice but to get to the end, you'll be thinking about the convoluted plot for days. Superb story from a very talented writer.
Hayley Long
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have yet to read anything the amazing J.T. Lawrence has written that I don't enjoy, but this book blew my mind. About half way through, I thought I had figured it out, I was so impressed with myself, thought I was the shit and then BANG, J.T. Lawrence slaps me across the face and whispers "I'm not done with you yet".

I found myself being irritated by Slade, shouting at him to do the opposite thing to what he was doing at that moment, but at the same time thoroughly enjoying the 'car crash' that
Joselyn  Moreno Burke
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wao I had my doubts with this one at first, but the twists make me this book a new favorite. I have to admit that Slade didn't catch me the first time he sounded like a bad person, maybe he was but maybe just too wild?

and the plot and the conspirations were so huges and amazing, really a thriller fan dream.

if you're into noir novels this is the one you should pick up.
Melanie Lewis
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible-books
This wasn't my first date with The Memory of Water as I had previously read the book. I'm a huge fan of audio books, and this is an excellent example of a good book transforming into a great book via Audible. Although Slade isn't the most lovable character, it's clear he's a victim of circumstances and the person he hurts most is himself. I was desperate to take him home, clean him up and give him a good, home cooked meal. The mystery surrounding Eve consumes most of the book and I so wanted Sla ...more
Terry
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook review
Absolutely brilliant story. So many things happen & link together so well! My imagination was running riot with this book. Murder, mayhem, is this real, imagined?!
Sex scenes but not on & on which is great to me.
Narrator was great. Very smooth voice and it flowed.
Elize Heerden
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: local-authors
This settles it, Janita can basically write any genre and I would read it. The way she draws you in no matter what her subject is, just blew my mind. At first, I was a little sceptic about the book, as it doesn’t fall within my normal genre’s but then I read it and she has opened a whole genre for me.

I listened to the audiobook of The Memory of Water, the narrator has a rich, deep voice that lulls you into a false sense of security, and then Janita’s words rock your world and make you think twi
Christine Bernard
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-list
It's no secret that I'm a Lawrence fan. I'll read anything she puts out, and I'm always left satisfied. This one was no exception - I loved it. I swallowed this book whole within days, and every night I found myself saying 'just one more chapter' over and over again. And the ending! Oh the ending! I won't give it away, but she definitely left me stupefied. Great read, interesting main characters, page turner.
comfort
This Audiobook was given to me by the author in exchange for a fair review.
My initial views of this audio, is that it is set in South Africa but the narrator's accent is American(not strong) but definitely not South African, none of the incidental characters had SA accents either. So.. except for a few SA towns and names this book could be set anywhere, there is no sense of place.
Having said that I am not partial to the SA accent (nor the Australian) on audiobooks and may have stopped listening.
odedo1
Once again JT Lawrence the author have not only amazed me with an incredible story but also have taught me with her unbelievable stories about South Africa and it’s culture.
There is just not enough ways to appreciate her beautiful writing.
Her abilities of connecting you to every personalities, to feel what they feel, see what they see is attempts by all authors but she have mastered it to the point that you become the persons that are on the page at that moment, a talent that is unmatched by n
Angela Ford
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whoa. That ending though...I don't even know what to say without spoiling it but the story was elegantly played out. I was almost fooled.
Ciaran Smith
Jan 26, 2020 rated it liked it
The lead character of the book Slade Harris is a writer of several best-selling books who has hit a brick wall with his writer’s block. Slade’s inspiration comes in the form adrenaline seeking where he seeks out adventure and risk. In order to keep satisfying the search for inspiration each new adventure takes on more and more risks to escalate the high. Eventually he flatlines and is left depressed and without a purpose. Slade pays Homage to some of the great writers saying that they also went ...more
Kirby
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Get ready for a psychological thrill ride. Follow this author through an adventure, romance, and emotional healing. Or is it a complete break down? Maybe you get to decide.
Megan
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah! So good! I thought I had it figured out, thought I knew how it was going to end... and then the ending came and smacked me upside the head. Such a great book that kept me on my toes and interested!
Sharon
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What the hell just happened??? OMG!
Norma
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
( Format : Audiobook )
"... like a fly in amber"
There is perfect synchronicity of written text and narrator as J.Austin Moran becomes Slade, an author who has hit a writer's block and is being hounded by his agent and publishers to produce his already well overdue contracted book. He has spent the advance money and now is also getting into debt with, amongst everything else, his house repayments. And he still has no idea what to write.

This book is written in the first person, Slade's meandering r
TC
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
Slade Harris is an author who likes to experience life's highs and lows to feed his writing. He still carries around the scars from a family tragedy - as a child his younger sister drowns, and the family are torn apart. He finds himself struck by writers block and with the pressure on to produce his next work he finds something new to motivate him. He plots the murder of his friend and would be lover Eve. When she is then killed in the same manner as he planned suspicion soon falls on him. Did h ...more
Tania Kliphuis
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
At first I wasn't sure about old Slade Harris and his suffocating self-destructive attitude. For at least 30% of the book, I really did wonder where this was all going. But I kept reading because, for all of his faults, he was a rather interesting character (I guess that's why someone as lovely as Eve is friends with him?).

Things really got going for me in the middle of the book. (view spoiler)
John
Aug 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Memories, Real and Imagined

This book is a dark journey into a bewildering maze of memories and experiences, some real, some imagined. It is not a book you would pick if you want some lighthearted beach read that will pass the time while you doze in the sunshine and will be forgotten when the sun sets. If you like a book that presents you with an intriguing exercise of your intellect and your emotions, if you like a book that takes you places that a normal, sane, and even tempered person never ex
Ian
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
Haunted by his past, suffering from writer's block and having spent the advance for his next book, novellist Slade Harris begins to plan a theoretical murder in order to get himself working again. But when the events of his outline start to play themselves out for real he's pitched into a plot that he can't control and where fiction and reality begin to blur.

Set in modern day South Africa the action moves from affluent suburbs to seedy townships. There are enough local references to provide atmo
maltasama
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Very interesting book

This book is full of good insights into the writing process and to boot it's an exciting thriller full of mystery. The main character Slade is rather obnoxious and full of himself, but events conspire to make him rethink his life. He is funny and has some sad dark events in his past. The descriptions of his writing and writer's block are true to form. Great sex scenes! The plot wraps around itself like a Mobius strip. Indeed, as a cover blurb said "Unique! Compelling !" Tr
Siobhan
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks, favorites, 2017
I thought this book was FAMAZING!

I had to re-read the ending twice just to make sure I understood what had ACTUALLY happened because for a second I was entirely confused that it could NOT be how it ended!

It was incredibly gripping and for me it was enjoyable from the start to the end.
This isn't the sort of genre I regularly read and I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I did.

The story follows Slade who is the strangest and craziest guy you can think of and this is what kept me hooked becaus
Charmaine Theron
Slade Harris what more can I say! Written in 1st person this book draws the reader deep into Slade's thoughts, life & personality. You either will love him or hate him! But I actually felt sorry for him as unforeseeable events unfold around him. A fast paced dark, thriller that keeps you on the edge. There's a twist in the end that I could not stop thinking about for a few days after finishing this book - what was real & what did he imagine? ...more
Debbie Winfield
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent.

I loved this book. It was very different from my usual choice of book. The author kept me hooked from the very start. It had great twists throughout the book. It was refreshing not knowing what was coming next due to the increasing paranoia of the the lead character. As he grew more paranoid the book got more intense. The twists at the end were unexpected but well written. I'd highly recommend this book and I'm fast becoming a huge JT Lawrence fan.
Claire Henderson
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have had this book for a few months now and have only had the time to read it the last couple of weeks. I wish I had had the time sooner and I could not put it down once I picked it up. For those who love to be surprised with twists throughout the book, it's the right choice for you, as well as for those who love a great storyline that can be followed with ease. Definitely a really good read that I will pick up again!
Sophie
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOAAAAAAAH.

My mind is blown. Absolutely blown. Why this novel hasn't been picked up by a major publishing house truly astonishes me. This novel screwed with my head entirely and I was jubilant the whole way through. LOVE the characterisation, the setting, the dialogue: everything. This was an absolutely genius book to read.
Katherine
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WOW! It's so different from her scifi... Boy does this author have range. It's steamy and gritty, twisty and turny and just when I thought I had it all figured out and even had my theory confirmed, she spun around and blew it all up in a fiery explosion of "Gotcha!"
Sneaky trickster. Excellent book.
Marcela
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review. This is not "my kind" of book, but I really enjoied listened to it.
The writer builds the characters so you feel like you really know them. It makes the story more engaging.
J. Austin Moran II did a pretty good job narrating this book.
Samantha Curley-Young
What an exceptional page turner, I was completely engrossed in the story and every time something new popped up to thicken the plot I actually found myself thinking "what the??" Twists and turns galore and in a way I am actually still quite perplexed about how it all played out.

Clever writing, excellent plot!

A must read...
patricia fay
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unsettling!

This story is written well and draws you in but I found it very strange and a little weird!, but maybe I am not in the right frame of mind at the moment to review it fairly?
« previous 1 3 next »

• Squall
  • The Betsy
  • Only the Dead
  • Harold Robbins Organized Crime Double
  • Shadows in Heaven (Tarabeg #1)
  • What We Forgot to Bury
  • Distress Signals
  • Wall of Silence
  • Remorseless (Doc Powers & D.I. Carver Investigate, #1)
  • I Came to Find a Girl
  • Harold Robbins Thriller Collection
  • The Child of Auschwitz
  • One Lost Soul (Hidden Norfolk Murder Mystery #1)
  • One for the Blackbird, One for the Crow
  • The Killing Fog (The Grave Kingdom, #1)
  • Blood and Treachery (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #4)
  • The Empress Holds the Key (Jack Rogan Mysteries, #1)
  • Seth and Chloe (Lunara Trilogy, #1)
Amazon bestselling, genre-hopping, kickass-female-protagonist-loving author.

Follow me here, on Amazon, or on BookBub https://www.bookbub.com/profile/jt-la...

www.jt-lawrence.com