Start by marking “The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener: How to Grow Your Own Food 365 Days a Year, No Matter Where You Live” as Want to Read:

Even in winter’s coldest months you can harvest fresh, delicious produce. Drawing on insights gained from years of growing vegetables in Nova Scotia, Niki Jabbour shares her simple techniques for gardening throughout the year. Learn how to select the best varieties for each season, the art of succession planting, and how to build inexpensive structures to protect your crop ...more
Published December 14th 2011 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener

Start your review of The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener: How to Grow Your Own Food 365 Days a Year, No Matter Where You Live
Erica
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I checked this out from the library three times and finally ended up just buying it. That's how much I like it.

Also, I've already built a hoop house, thanks to this book. I don't know, yet, if it works, but I made it and that makes me happy.

Update:
Yes. My hoop house worked and will work again this winter!
Bibliovoracious
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: gardeners, especially in northern latitudes
When a book is written from the region you live, it has a lot more credibility than when a Floridian tells you what’s possible in Canada. She and others are growing lots of fresh veg through bona-fide Nova Scotian winters. Whoohoo. Very inspiring; immediately expanded our intentions and expectations for growing food for ourselves.
Trace
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another gardening book I think I need to own. Written by a Canadian gardener...
Grace
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
When I saw The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener on the library's "new" shelf, I snagged it up without hesitation. I love gardening, and I would very much like to see how I can grow my own food all year round -- despite being in the middle of zone 5 and living in the city.

Jabbour does a fairly good job of glossing over a wide variety of the science topics such as timing, temperature, and light needs of the plants. I was most surprised, however, at the depth on which she talks about keeping a decently healt
Katie
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: garddwest
December 2011 - I was a Greenhouse Technology student at Niagara college, new to this thing called "twitter" when I stumbled across a quote from Niki Jabbour "In the middle of winter, there are no bugs, there are no slugs"

Having started my food-growing career in Mattawa and Thunder Bay, my main motivation for going to horticulture school was to Improve Food Access and Food Security in the North. I was already experimenting with winter harvest techniques I had learned up north (Teresa
Kelly Weisner
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
I go back to this book time and again all year round. This is a fantastic comprehensive guide to gardening year round. Great information about individual crops, succession planting, planning, everything you need to get started having fresh veggies from your garden, even in January!
Mrs Susan Farrington
Great vegetable growers read

Very easy to read and full of good advice. Very inspirational for beginners. How to grow vegetables and herbs in your garden all year round. Can't wait to get started.
Erica
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
This is the cold-climate gardener's go-to guide for everything. I wish I had this book years ago! I will continue to reference it for design, cold frame choice, and detailed vegetable and herb advice.
Justin
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
More than just information on cold frames, contains a decent sized section on cold climate crops
Laurla2
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, gardening
-this book got rave reviews. however, i fail to see how cold frames and hoop tunnels that only add a few degrees of temperature protection will allow you to continue to harvest food straight thru a minnesota winter when temperatures frequently get below 0`F (-18`C) and occasionally -20`F (-29`C). even my unheated greenhouse only offers a few degrees of temperature protection in winter when its that cold.
- and buying me a couple more weeks of harvest in the fall and early winter does NOT equate year
Megan
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, gardening
So, I still liked Eliot Coleman's The Winter Harvest Handbook over this. Coleman really digs into the science and into the history of winter growing, which let me wrap my brain around the "why" of how things work.

This book reads very much like a home gardener who took Coleman's work and applied it to her backyard (she mentions him in the beginning, so this is likely true). But that really isn't a bad thing. Probably the most helpful part of this book is her section on crops where she
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My dear friend, Sherri, picked this book out for herself, and I mooched off of her suggestion and got one for myself. I've always wanted to have a vegetable garden, but I don't have any experience. I don't know where to start, and I don't know how to proceed. This book was like living with a professional gardener for a year. It is so easy to read and well laid out. There are lots of pictures and clear explanations. Whether you're doing a year-round garden or not, this book is a terrific resource ...more
Cumberland Public Libraries
A wealth of information, The Year-Round Vegetable Gardner is an invaluable resource for almost any Nova Scotian intent on expanding their gardening knowledge or their growing season. It's perfect for novice gardeners who enjoy learning about a variety of greens they might not have considered attempting to grow before. With an easy to read style and flexibility that lends to reading either the entire book or just the parts you're interested in, this book makes a great resource.
Recommended
Jami
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for learning about cold season technique. The author has included plans for a few year round growing friendly gardens as well as some tunnels and cold boxes. Since I already know what vegetables I am going to be using for the most part I didn't get much use out of the vegetable and herb information provided in later chapters. However, for beginning gardeners they are great introductions to a wide variety of garden fare.
Steve
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is focused on extending the gardening season. A great resource on explaining how to use row covers, mini hoop tunnels, cold-frames, etc. Also very helpful in explaining which vegetables to grow early and late to extend the season (even through the winter if one is careful). I have already made a list of things to try as fall approaches - hopefully I will have some garden goodness well into the first snows of the year.
Anita
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, garden
This is the best gardening guide I have read. She gives explicit instructions, great pictures illustrating her techniques, and step-by-step how to do year round gardening. She also highlights her favorite varieties. I like that she gives plans for small to large gardens with guides on successive and year round planting. This is a great reference book that I will be using year round.
Dobbs
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic! I love that it has an "encyclopedia" of common vegetables and what season they grow best in and when is best to plant them. Lots of really great information for anyone starting to grow their own food or looking to venture in to winter gardening.
Megan
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book inspired me to try some season extension in my garden this year and I ended up harvesting salad greens a whole month earlier than usual in the spring! I'm still experimenting with some of her suggestions and trying some of my own experiments.
Plovers Stratford
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has taught me sooo much about gardening in general but has allowed me to understand how to grow my own food, year round, in our garden or containers!

Everyone should read this excellent book!
Brett
Feb 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I enjoy the part about the vegetable and the time to plant them and stagger them for a year round garden. But if you are reading how to set up your garden, she assumes you have a lot of money to spend at the start.
Liz Kurz
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great reference book on growing veggies year round. When you live in a climate that doesn't allow for a longer harvesting/growing season being able to grow year round becomes a must.

I also liked how it focused on some cooler weather crops and things that can be overwintered.
Tracy
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an easy to follow book for anyone interested in vegetable gardening. It explained 3 different techiniques to extend a garden anywhere by at least a few weeks on either side of the season if you don't want to go all out for the entire year.
Eliot Burdett
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Covers all the basics for cold winter/Canadian backyard farmers. Covers, soil prep, sprouting, watering, venting, harvesting, weed control, etc.
Floyd Larck
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: amazon
One of the most innovative gardeners we have had the pleasure to read by. Many ways to make your garden flourish despite the weather conditions.
Beverly
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Can't read this fast enough. There are so many good points that I have had to resort to writing them down in my garden journal.
Elena
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved the writing style because it is like your sister or friend telling you how to be successful growing and harvesting fresh veggies all winter. Inspirational if you have never done this before.
Cindy
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
Pretty cool. I will be implementing a few of these recommendations to extend my own growing season!
Sheryl
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gardening
I can't wait for spring! I guess I'll have to learn how to use the table saw so i can build myself some cold frames.
Sam Read
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got this book two years ago and am constantly re-reading it. Great reference for gardening in Atlantic Canada.
Jerianne
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I want to come back to this book once I am more comfortable with gardening.

• Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens
  • Grow Great Grub: Organic Food from Small Spaces
  • Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook: Perfectly Timed Gardening for Your Most Bountiful Harvest Ever
  • The New Seed-Starter's Handbook
  • Grow Cook Eat: A Food Lover's Guide to Vegetable Gardening, Including 50 Recipes, Plus Harvesting and Storage Tips
  • The Organic Gardener's Handbook of Natural Pest and Disease Control: A Complete Guide to Maintaining a Healthy Garden and Yard the Earth-Friendly Way
  • Homegrown Herbs: Gardening Techniques, Recipes, and Remedies for Growing and Using 101 Herbs
  • Vertical Vegetables  Fruit: Creative Gardening Techniques for Growing Up in Small Spaces
  • Lasagna Gardening: A New Layering System for Bountiful Gardens: No Digging, No Tilling, No Weeding, No Kidding!
  • McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container: A Container Garden of Vegetables, Herbs, Fruits and Edible Flowers
  • The Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production Using Deep-Organic Techniques and Unheated Greenhouses
  • The Beautiful Edible Garden: Design A Stylish Outdoor Space Using Vegetables, Fruits, and Herbs
  • The Vegetable Gardener's Guide to Permaculture: Creating an Edible Ecosystem
  • The Edible Front Yard: The Mow-Less, Grow-More Plan for a Beautiful, Bountiful Garden
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
Niki Jabbour is the author of the best-selling, award winning book, The Year Round Vegetable Gardener (American Horticultural Society Book Award), Groundbreaking Food Gardens & Veggie Garden Remix (All published by Storey Publishing). Niki writes for a wide variety of magazines and newspapers, including Fine Gardening, Horticulture, Garden Making and Birds & Blooms. She speaks at garden sh ...more