Start by marking “These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1)” as Want to Read:
These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1)

These Broken Stars

(Starbound #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  56,775 ratings  ·  8,079 reviews
It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls
Published December 10th 2013 by Disney Hyperion

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,575 books — 11,048 voters
Clockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Selection by Kiera CassIncarnate by Jodi MeadowsAcross the Universe by Beth RevisThe Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Oh My Gosh! Beautiful Covers
1,545 books — 1,350 voters

More lists with this book...

·  56,775 ratings  ·  8,079 reviews

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was SO GOOD. Not what I expected it to be at all! I'm excited to discuss this at the booksplosion live show. :)
Emily May
Dec 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
I am crazy minority lady :(

Let me break down my thought process on this book from the very first time I noticed it on goodreads because somewhere along the way something went really really wrong. Just a quick scroll down the GR page and I can see all my friends' ratings of five or four stars... but the attraction is lost on me.

1) The description appears on goodreads. We are promised science fiction and space and "a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain". A setting in space, a story of survival and a cme.
Christine Riccio
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is more of a 3.7 for me - i enjoyed it but i'm not crazy about it, here's my full booktak/review: http://youtu.be/ZD-m6fhRfhA =)
Wendy Darling
4.5 stars Here's what you need to know:

-- This story is incredibly original, and unlike any other scifi book I've ever read before. Leaps and bounds above most YA science fiction for sure, and with an interesting mood/tone that you don't often find in this genre.

-- Much of the book is also a survival story, so if you like that sort of thing (as I do!), this one will probably interest you.

-- The writing is terrific. Don't let the "Titanic in space" idea fool you; wh
Navessa
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Boom. Five stars.

You know why? Because I enjoyed the shit out of this book.

You want a detailed breakdown of what happens in it?

Look elsewhere.

You want me to tell you how fucking gloriously understated yet wholly satisfying this world building was?

Too bad.

You want to know why I started losing my mind 70% in?

HOW'S IT FEEL TO WANT?

This book is everything that makes me keep coming back to the YA category. Because sometimes, sometimes an author does it right. Kaufman and Spooner did it right. They did it sooooooo r
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This is a wilderness waiting to swallow me; I’d barely make a dent trying to fight it. There are no rules for me to learn, no points to be scored, no bluffs to be called. This is a hell I’ve never imagined.
And I think I’m going to die here.
A lot of people have been calling this an intergalactic Titanic, and while there are certain similarities, particularly in the beginning of the book, the parallels to that doomed cruise liner ends there. I really liked this book. This is a beautifully written space
Kat Kennedy
I can't review this yet. I quite liked it, yet don't know how to describe it.

I know I read it instead of doing Buzz Worthy News, which is a big no-no for me. But I just couldn't help myself. And whilst I won't give anything away, I finished it like I had a spell over me.

Dreamy
"It was nice, ya know? Just real nice..."

Review to come closer to release date.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I really enjoyed this book the second time around!

The first time I read this book was back in 2015 and I'm not sure why I gave it 2.5 stars. I had an old review that told me some of the reasons but they make no sense to me now!

I loved Tarver and Lilac and yes I wanted to smack them a few times. I always feel like that so it's nothing new.

Lilac is the daughter of one of the richest men if not the richest men and Tarver is a lowly Major that didn't come from a whole lot. They didn't really like
Lola
I probably read the wrong book.

That cover…that blurb…that promising romance…

A DNF. At 49%.

description

I wanted so bad to enjoy this in order to buy it in hardcover and have it in my library and admire it day and night. (Very slightly exaggerating.) The thing is, I am not one to buy books only for their beautiful cover. I have to like (of preference love) the actual story.

Except for the writing, nothing worked for me.

The pacing had such a slow spromance…
Abook.
That
L A i N E Y
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Normally, I do not like snarky boys, well to be precise, in real life, I don't like my boys with this much snark. But in the case of Tarver, I think it totally worked for him.

I really liked the romance between him & Lilac.

There was no 'insta-love' here. It wasn't quite really that.

I'd called this 'insta-attraction' but that was it. Hallelujah!

Sasha Alsberg
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
an amazing, truly amazing book
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won
I won a copy of this ARC from Disney Publishers, and I haven't gotten a chance to read it until now. What a mistake. This is by far my favorite YA read from 2013.

These Broken Stars, written by the duo Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner, takes us to space aboard a massive luxury ship, similar to the Titanic. We immediately meet our two main characters-- Tarver, a solider, and Lilac, the daughter of the richest and most powerful man in the universe. Right away, something happens to the sh
Molli Moran
** Look for my tour stop (hosted by The Midnight Garden) on the blog on 11/25/13 and a chance to enter an awesome THESE BROKEN STARS giveaway! **

5 stars simply isn't enough. Terrific world-building, heart-stopping action, poignant romance, and two of the best written characters I've ever come across.

OR IN GIFS TO EXPRESS MY FEEEEEEEELS:

THESE BROKEN STARS = TITANIC in space. Thus, Tarver = Jack Dawson, and Lilac = Rose.

Let's meet Lilac, aboard the Icarus:

"That's All" Ash
Jan 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ehh
Good job, Disney!

4-star book.

2-star ending.

Kind of like Miley Cyrus.

photo tumblr_inline_mvgcy21D5U1s294hr.gif

It’s a futuristic sci/fi fantasy book. And the rudiment of the story is that the richest girl in the galaxy gets stranded on a planet with a military boy. So, we’ve all read this story before, right? It’s one that has been done over and over and over again. But the thing with These Broken Stars is that there’s actually a lot of originality in this book! It’s co-written by two brilliant ladies, Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. I thought the writing was fucking fabulous, and I thought the little dialending.
Kind
Ari
This book reminds me why I love reading so much.

...How trilling it is to dive into a new story, a new world, new lives and new adventures that leave me breathless every time!

This was such an unusual & original story! I have nothing to measure it against. It was nothing like I thought it would be. The world building is awesome, the action is trilling, the characters are strong and determined, the turnarounds made me tear a bit and the ending left me full of hope.

THESE BROKEN STARS tells a story ab
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
4.5 Stars

Actually, last year I read a few pages of this book but I did not understand because my English wasn't really good that time so I decided to read another book that I understood.
and then 13 days ago I started reading this book again because I didn't know what to read except this book.
I thought this book would be weird and boring because everytime I think the book will be great, then it will turn out to be boring. But I wronged this time, very very wronged.
I enjoyed this book so much!! I liked it!!

I'm going to tell
Giselle
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, signed, arc
Guys! This is not a story about a girl flying in space in a dress! That's only in the first chapter. I swear!

Actually, most of this book is a survival story. After a crash land on an anonymous planet, Tarver and Lilac have to find a way to get along and stay alive amongst the wild animals and Lilac's questionable state of mind. It's not a fast paced read, but rather a slow trek on this mysterious planet full of whispers, visions, ghosts, and other bizarre happenings. This is what keeps it completely enthrallin
Vanessa J.
Aug 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF at 51%

God, I can't do this to myself. I kept telling myself I must have been reading the wrong book, because EVERYONE loved this, but... I just can't see why.

Many reviewers have described this as Titanic in space, and that is a great description. Thing is, this is a love story. That's all. The first time Tarver sees Lilac, he thinks she's the most beautiful girl there, and it only gets more cheesy and cliched the more I read. Ugh.

When I got to the 50% mark I sto
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Reread 1/13/16: I don't think re-reading this after Illuminae was a good idea because no other sci-fi book will ever live up for me now. Either way though this was still mega entertaining and I can't wait to finally carry on with the series !

Original review 1/6/15: This book. Oh my god. Drowning in a puddle of my feels for all of eternity
Kiki
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was bloody brilliant. But what did I just read? Tension and telepathy and spaceships, and then romance that I actually gave a shit about (I know, right?) and then a giant twist - a twist so twisty that it's almost physically painful. A twist so twisty, you'll pull a muscle in your back.

Just...

What are you, These Broken Stars?

[Proper review to come.]
Aj the Ravenous Reader

What started out a soap opera ended up in story of survival out in the wilderness of a strange, abandoned planet and once again, it surprises me how much I enjoyed the book from start to end. In some instances, the reading experience reminded me a little of that when I read Illuminae especially in the last quarter of the story when the plot reveals the ultimate twist explainable by scientific stuff like hyperspace, other dimensions and temporary energy-matter conversion. I won’t pretend to understand all
Mara
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rereads, top-reads
This book though. These Broken Stars was most definitely my most anticipated release of 2013, with that cover luring me in like sirens do sailors at sea ever since its release announcement. I mean, that cover is probably the most beautiful thing I had seen all year. It has the perfect space odyssey/mythology ratio that just did it for me even way before I knew what the whole story was about. I was so, so happy when These Broken Stars became everything I had hoped for. I finished it in three hour ...more
ambsreads
SECOND ATTEMPT
DNF @ 20%

BUDDY READING with my wife, Caitlin.

I tried. Boy, did I try. I struggled through 20% of pointless interactions and pointless information to give up. This book just isn't for me and I'm sad because I really did want to like this.

In one of her updates Caitlin said this was basically the Titanic in space - I hate the Titanic. I hate the movie with a burning fiery passion of "wtf why did I just waste like two hours of my life??"

The characters are one dimensional for me. I hate Lilac (I/>BUDDY
Natalie Monroe

“But who names a starship the Icarus? What kind of man possess that much hubris, that he dares it to fall?”

I went into These Broken Stars expecting a Titanic retelling. We all remember what happens at the end; Kate is a dumbass and runs after Jack, then they both get stranded and Jack freezes to death. Also, he never wins an Oscar.

But I digress. My point is, a Titanic retelling has to have at least two things: a sink sinks,stars
Beth
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, sci-fi
Absolutely brilliant. This is the sci fi I've been waiting for! Action, romance, twists and turns--this book has it all!
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Whatever Amie Kaufman writes, i read. No questions asked. In case some of you don't know, she is also the author of Illuminae and Gemina. SHE IS AMAZING!
Mandy
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy
Full Review

Part Titanic in space, part I Shouldn't Be Alive and part Doctor Who/The Twilight Zone, this is a sci-fi/fantasy/survivor story/romance all in one and I loved it! We start out on the glamourous Icarus, and have just enough time to get a taste for the gigantic luxury spaceliner when she is yanked from hyberspace and sucked into an unknown planets gravity. Our main characters Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merenderson end up in a crew escape pod and just barely survive the crash down to the planet. Although the pl
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
This book was not at all what I expected! I thought that this would be quite a typical YA cutesy outer-spacey romance, but oh my goodness. My mind has been blown about seventeen times over. It was incredibly awesome, and everything was so unexpected!

I want to just quickly address the fact that they named the ship Icarus though. I MEAN, SERIOUSLY?! I cringed, ever time I read that.

But ship name aside, WOW!!

The cover is beautiful. My library's edition had a diff
C.G. Drews
Oh. Wow. Just OH WOW. (I swear this review will be a little more coherent. Honest.) This book was TOP of my want-right-now list, because of a) the beautiful cover, and b) YA sci-fi. It did not disappoint. Not even a little bit! It’s so freakishly amazing I want to recommend it to every human, alien, and stray cat. GO READ IT!

Where do I start? I could just say “the entire book from cover to cover is amazing”, but that’s not a helpful review, is it? I shall explain the awesomeness. No. Too much.
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
4.5*
I really loved this, like a lot more than I was expecting to! I'll be doing a video review soon!

• Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #2)
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • The Rules (Project Paper Doll, #1)
  • Control (Control, #1)
  • Shadowlark (Skylark, #2)
  • After Eden (After Eden, #1)
  • Let the Sky Fall (Sky Fall, #1)
  • Minders
  • Alienated (Alienated, #1)
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • Tin Star (Tin Star, #1)
  • Earth Star (Earth Girl, #2)
  • Stitching Snow
  • Transparent (Transparent, #1)
  • Unbreathable
  • Quicksilver (Ultraviolet, #2)
  • Renegade (MILA 2.0, #2)
  • When the World Was Flat (and We Were in Love)
Amie Kaufman is a New York Times and internationally bestselling author of young adult fiction. Her multi-award winning work is slated for publication in over 30 countries, and is in development for film and TV. Raised in Australia and occasionally Ireland, Amie has degrees in history, literature, law and conflict resolution. She lives in Melbourne with her husband, their rescue dog, and an extrem ...more

Starbound (3 books)
  • This Shattered World (Starbound, #2)
  • Their Fractured Light (Starbound, #3)
“Major, to what extent did you act upon your feelings for Miss LaRoux?"

"Medium."

"Excuse me?"

"How am I supposed to answer that question?”
285 likes
“And there it is, against all hope, like the sun peeking out from behind the clouds. The smallest hint of a smile.” 243 likes