Start by marking “The Monarch” as Want to Read:
The Monarch

The Monarch

Fate seems to have mistaken Anne Serafini, a forensic photographer, for superwoman and she’s not amused. After being stabbed, witnessing a friend’s murder and shooting a man in self-defense, Anne realizes she’s been Fate’s puppet all along.
Now she’s chosen Anna Maria Island to try and take back control of her life. Unfortunately—when a murdered girl washes up on the beach
Published November 29th 2011 by Shannon Esposito

To ask other readers questions about The Monarch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monarch

Lori
I am thankful that I was able to receive a free copy of this novel by the author (Shannon Esposito). This is the second novel I have read from this author and, for me and hitherto, her writings fall into the "cozy mystery" genre. A genre I am only newly acquainted with but now love!

In this novel, 27-year-old Anne Serafini is obsessed with her destiny and fate. And for good reason. It seems no matter where she has been or where she has traveled to in her short life death and tragedy and violence
Kassandra Lamb
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What a great book! The meat of the story–a serial killer is terrorizing beautiful Anna Maria Island in Florida–is brilliantly seasoned with hints of the heroine’s troubled past and a touch of romance with the equally troubled police detective on the case. As side dishes, we are served a host of interesting characters and lots of local color. Then a hurricane comes along to violently stir the ingredients.

I particularly liked the way the paranormal elements were handled. There are enough hints abo
Catie Rhodes
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Anne Serafini has a knack for being in bad places at bad times. After surviving a brutal attack, she lands on Anna Marie Island in Florida. Amidst the calming waters of the ocean and the friendly locals, Anne begins to heal. But she finds that fate is not finished with her. A serial killer is loose on the island.

This novel has a semi-supernatural element. Anne Serafini is last in a long line of woman blessed with psychic gifts. All died by the age of twenty-eight, and Anne is only a few weeks aw
A.B. Shepherd
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Am I really the first reader to post a review of this novel on Goodreads? Wow! I feel...I'm not sure. Honored? Privileged? Surprised?

In the vernacular of my Aussie hubby this was a "fan-bloody-tastic" book! It had everything that I love in a novel - fast paced, great suspense, a little romance, and a touch of the paranormal. The author leads you along the path she wants you to follow and you follow eagerly because you can't wait to see what happens next!

Brilliant job Shannon Esposito!
Deb Novack
I simply could not put this book down. It is a fast-paced story and does not become boring as some mysteries can. You know just enough about the characters and their past to understand their present. The story keeps you guessing at every twist and turn, and you think you know who did it but you find out at the next chapter that you did not. I would love to read more by this author. By the way this story also has a little bit of paranormal.
Toni
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I know this author from her "pet psychic mysteries", which are cozy mysteries. The Monarch is in no way a cozy! This was an engrossing thriller that I stayed up late to finish. I couldn't put it down. Well written and keeps the reader guessing. Loved it!
Jen
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
From my blog @ http://theinfamousj.livejournal.com/4...

I will start with a disclaimer: I was given a free review copy of this book. The gift provided me with exposure to the book, but in no way made me feel obligated to provide a positive review. The content of the book did that on its own!

This is a fantastic, wonderful, and delightful book! Amazing! It is a page-turning paranormal mystery {a la Dean Koontz}. It has romantic elements, but no real romance to distract you from the edge-of-your-sea
Karen
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a who-done-it with a paranormal twist. The paranormal aspect being serendipity, but introduced in a subtle and believable manor. The protagonist, Anne, really doesn’t believe she has a gift and is resistant to the idea. As the possibility is presented Anne, and the reader, are slowly convinced that anything is possible and fate does exist, along with the gift of serendipity.

The story line and characters in this novel are not new, but they are well developed and keep the reader guessing.
Carol
Dec 12, 2011 rated it liked it
A lighter book, on the shorter side. Being on the shorter side, the story moved along and wasn't bogged down with filler pages. A good read.

(I received this book from the author. However, I do not know the author and was not swayed in any way on my review.)
Julie
Dec 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
This is a poorly written plodder that I finally gave up on at about 40%. I'm reading the reviews and wondering if I was trying to read the same book as the other readers.
Karen Schindler
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was a joy to edit. Shannon is a wonderful storyteller.
Karen Schindler
Linda Cole
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Different

Pretty good not as good as her Darwin stories but it held my attention and I was surprised who the killer was
Diane
Dec 30, 2015
Kathryn Klein
Jan 01, 2015
Katherine Sunflower
Apr 06, 2015
Muriel
rated it did not like it
Nov 21, 2015
Sep 08, 2012
Roxanne Sahlin
Jan 04, 2014
Shannon Esposito
Dec 01, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Nicola