Start by marking “Secret Santa” as Want to Read:
Secret Santa

Secret Santa

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Christmas is around the corner but not for the Van Sloten family. In the depths of the Great Depression, poor families like the Van Slotens are lucky to have a roof over their heads. Work is scarce, and there hasn't been enough of it to provide even the necessities, let alone a luxury like a holiday celebration. But when Tom, the oldest son, takes it into his head to provi ...more
Published October 20th 2000 by Shadow Mountain (first published October 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Secret Santa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secret Santa

Camie
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a second read for me. I decided to read a couple of my Christmas books this Christmas season and I enjoyed reading this one again. This is set in the Great Depression and is a story about the oldest boy of a family putting together Christmas for his family. I find it hard to understand the kind of poverty many families faced during this time period and this is a great example of how happiness can still prevail during times of great hardship. I wish more people these days including my ow ...more
Swhe641200
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a story written about the experience of her husband Tom Poelman and his family during the depression and what life was like. I thought it was wonderful gave a lot of insight as to how family lived and had to go through. What a big heart Tom had and also the challenges that people who have not are treated by people who have. It surprises me when people with the gospel treat others so unkind. Good Book. good author
Susan
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The van Sloten family celebrate Christmas during the Depression! With very little food on their table, Tom--the eldest son--eagerly uses every bit of his savings, to attend the university, to provide his family a much needed holiday.
Kari Garrett
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is about a family during the time of the Depression. Their teenage son decides to be a Secret Santa and provide Christmas for his poor family. This is a great book to read together as a family.
Kerri
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
I loved this story, and I wish that it was real. The story is about a teenage boy that takes his family's hardship and turns their christmas in to a Christmas they'll never forget. This boy is just how I hope my kids will be when they get older: self-less, smart, determined, and hard workers.
Heather
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It's just one of those feel good Christmas books that can really put you in the spirit od the season. If you are still looking for a good quick read for the Holidays pick this one up! You'll be glad you did!
Rickelle
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
A heart-warming story set in the Great Depression era. A young man - the main character in the story - demonstrates to his family and community the true blessing that comes from sacrificing prized possessions and being completely selfless.
Karajayne
Dec 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so my rating might be a little bit biased as this book is based off real life events of my father's family. it is written by my aunt and is truly heartwarming. it's a quick read and an easy way to get you into the true spirit of christmas.
NaDell
Jul 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
This story was set in the Great Depression time and I loved reading the generosity and good deeds in the book. It was an excellent read and well worth the short time it took me to read it, but maybe I should have read it a little closer to Christmas....
Lori
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Not bad to begin the Christmas season. Fairly predictable with an abrupt ending that was disappointing. (The abruptness was disappointing, not the actual ending.) It's a quick read though, and it made me feel good so...not bad.
Victoria
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
delightful little story of a boy in Depression era Utah and how he uses his savings for college to give his siblings a Christmas
Janice
Dec 14, 2008 rated it liked it
This started off slowly for me, but in the end, I really did like it.
Erica T
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
One of the best Christmas books I've read.
Sally
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
A very sweet and touching Christmas story!
Jessa
Mar 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Cute little story about a kid wanting to give his family a good Christmas
Jill
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Feel-good Christmas story set in the Great Depression. Not my favorite Christmas book but a good reminder of how much I have to be thankful for.
Catherine
Jan 10, 2011 rated it liked it
This was a really sweet story. It reminded me of how blessed I am, and it taught how it is so much more important to give than to receive.
Kim
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of my very favorite holiday books ever. It stirs emotions that are well need that time of the year and reminds me to be grateful for all I have. I read it every year!
Aunt Sue
Feb 07, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Aunt by: Missy
Don't enjoy anything sweet. I like harder sader stories.
Brenda
Jan 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great Christmas story about sacrifice from a young man during the depression.
Olivia
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved the way the story tied everything together at the end. It really made me feel good, because it was such a good story! Sweet Christmas Spirit.
Meadow
Apr 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This story takes place during the depression and I try and read it every year before Christmas. It really puts all the gift giving into perspective.
Cat Kwiatkowski
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This has been my favorite Christmas book for 15 years now, and it still makes me smile when I read it. This is a great history story too, please pick it up if you can find it.
Zina
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I hope to be able to read this to grandchildren next Christmas. Thoughtful. I found it accidentally at the Library looking for a Potock book!
Nicole
Dec 18, 2011 rated it liked it
short book that did a good job of portraying a poor family at the time of the deepression during the Christmas season. It was a touching story of their sacrifices they made.
beth anne
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i love christmas stories that make me cry! this one was set inthe depression in salt lake city.
Jodi Heiner
Dec 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good Holiday story set in the era of the depression.
Cathy
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Typical depression era Christmas story. Nice family and nice ending, but nothing really new.
Katie W
Nov 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Brook
Shelves: historical, holiday
This story took place during the Depression and really helped me be grateful for what I do have. It was a cute, heart-warming story about a boy who learns selflessness.
Tammi