Start by marking “Joshua L. Chamberlain: The Life in Letters of a Great Leader of the American Civil War” as Want to Read:

(General Military )

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  46 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain has been a central character in two feature films (Gettysburg and Gods & Generals), a Pulitzer Prize-winning novel (The Killer Angels), and an inspiration for Ken Burns's production of the highly acclaimed PBS series The Civil War. Chamberlain won national fame at the Battle of Gettysburg for his key role in fending off the Confederates at L ...more
Published May 22nd 2012 by Osprey Publishing (first published July 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Joshua L. Chamberlain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joshua L. Chamberlain

really liked it 4.00  ·

Peter
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic introduction to JLC. Content wise, it was great. Didn't love the overall layout of the book however. I look forward to reading his more in-depth work about the 20th Maine in Gettysburg later this year.
Sherrie House
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thomas Desjardin was given unique access to a cache of Chamberlain letters - letters that show a much more three-dimensional picture of JLC than we have had in the past. (Spoiler alert: He was human...) A flawed human being, with huge areas of self-doubt and insecurity, who nevertheless accomplished some pretty awesome things.
Rachel
As I was looking for more of a reference to his military history, this didn't quite satisfy with the very looong section of letters from his then-fiance-and-later-wife, Fannie duringthe years of separtio before their marriage. However, when I finally reached the section of letters from Chamberlain to his wife during the Civil War it more than met my wishes. It was wonderful to read these first-hand accounts sharing his own thoughts of battles such as Gettysburg and Petersburg and learning some ...more
Colin
J.L. Chamberlain, one of the great heroes of the Battle of Gettysburg and of the American Civil War, in his own words and the words of those who knew him. I'm glad I read this - I learned some things I had not known, including Chamberlain's role as military governor of Maine during the electoral "Count Out Crisis" of 1880!
Luanne Coats
Only for fans of JLC, it's mainly his love letters to his wife. There is some new revelation of a love affair with a cousin that merely showed me even JLC was an imperfect human being like the rest of us.
Jessica Jewett
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My review of this book. - http://jessicajewettonline.com/review...
Jim Bouchard
Ting
Oct 12, 2017
Nelson King
Jun 06, 2015

General Military (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Alexander the Great at War: His Army - His Battles - His Enemies
  • Samurai: The World of the Warrior
  • Tiger (General Military)
  • Panther: Germany's quest for combat dominance (General Military)
  • Tanks: 100 Years of Evolution (General Military)
  • Rising Sun, Falling Skies: The Disastrous Java Sea Campaign of World War II (General Military)
  • China's Wars: Rousing the Dragon 1894-1949 (General Military)
  • Young Nelsons (General Military)
  • The Para Fitness Guide (General Military)
  • Backbone: History, Traditions, and Leadership Lessons of Marine Corps NCOs (General Military)