Start by marking “The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles #5)” as Want to Read:
The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles #5)

The Wrath of Mulgarath

(The Spiderwick Chronicles #5)

Bruised and battered, Jared, Simon, and Mallory return home to find their home ransacked and learn that Mulgarath has made off with their mother and Spiderwick's Guide. With only the help of Thimbletack, Hogsqueal and Byron, the Grace kids have to defeat Mulgarath and his goblin army. But they have to rescue Arthur Spiderwick from Lorengorn and the elves first.

From the Cas
Audio
Published September 14th 2004 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Wrath of Mulgarath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wrath of Mulgarath

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5), Tony DiTerlizzi
The Wrath of Mulgarath was published on September 7, 2004. The Grace children return from the quarry to the Spiderwick estate, only to find the house in ruins and their mother gone. Hogsqueal the hobgoblin informs them that the house was destroyed by the goblins who have kidnapped their mother and taken her to the palace of their fearsome master, Mulgarath the ogre. Accompanied by Hogsqueal, the siblings journey to Mulgarath'
Tori I
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
About 30 minutes ago I finished the last book of The Spiderwick Chronicles. This book is called The Wrath Of Mulgrath. This book was probably the best one out of all five. The best part of this book is at the end because you finally get to figure out some good and some bad things. The ending is super sad because Aunt Lucinda is out of the hospital and go to her aunt Lucinda's dad - Jared, Simon, and, Mallory's great great uncle. He has been gone a long time and gets wished back. He sees Lucinda ...more
Omar
Mar 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I finished all the books and watched the movie yesterday. The movie used books 1-3 and 5. As always the books are always better than the movie. With that said... I have to admit I enjoyed the movie as well. It rarely happens that I can like both, but this was one of those occasions. The movie... without giving away too much, allows you to see more of the faeries than the book touched upon. It also changes a few things here and there as well. In the end you have a good book series as well as ...more
~ Giulia ~
I know someone who's an inveterate non-reader, you can count the number of books they've ever read on your fingers (and not even using all of them); 5 of said books are these books. For that alone this whole series would deserve 5 stars.

In this conclusive instalment we have the final confrontation with the orc and the story of the Grace family gets satisfactorily wrapped up. It was especially nice meeting again many characters introduced in the previous books.

I wish I had read it as a child, but
Hilly
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
C.P. Cabaniss
This was the final installment in the Spiderwick Chronicles and overall I was very pleased. Jared faces some of the inner struggles that we have seen in the previous novels and finally faces down some of his demons. The sibling relationship between Jared, Simon, and Mallory continues to be a highlight of the series.

We get a lot of both Thimbletack and Hogsqueal in this final installment, which I appreciated. These two are a lot of fun and it was nice to have them around more. We also get to see
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can honestly say that this series is one that was really let down by the film adaptation. Back when the film was released I found myself excited for what was to come, only to be extremely disappointed with what we were given. If you’re someone who enjoyed the film then I really do suggest that you read the books to find out just how great they actually are rather than taking the film standpoint on it.

The final book in the series is yet another fast mover, bringing the series to an end through
Lupe Dominguez
What a great conclusion to the series! I really enjoyed this series. The fantasy angle was well developed and the story was fast paced but not rushed. The ending was perfect and bittersweet but I loved it. So good!! So glad I let my son read them!
Amy
Jul 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed-series
A nice end to the series.
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
Not a bad conclusion to the series at all. I just wish the world could have been more fully explored and not limited to a backyard.
Abigail
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed the First Four 'Spiderwick Chronicles'
Returning home after their adventures in The Ironwood Tree , the three Grace children discover that their mother has been kidnapped by the ogre Mulgarath and his goblin army. With the aid of the elves, who allow Jared to confer with Arthur Spiderwick, the three siblings, together with Byron the griffin, Thimbletack the brownie and Hogsqueal the hobgoblin, set out to rescue her. Their plan - Hogsqueal will pretend that he has captured Jared and Mallory, and 'deliver' them to Mulgarath's camp, wh ...more
Donna
Ok, so, twelve-year-old me must have had the absolute WORST reading comprehension, because I remembered about 99.9% of these books WRONG in every way imaginable...except for the part with the pixies in the honey, which I guess goes to show what kind of child I was.

Honestly I don't see why these couldn't have been one book? Because I've seen books with an episodic nature like this, and I think it would have worked. Plus probably have cut publishing costs. Not that I'm complaining...it did up my S
Fi's Journey
"That would be overly kind to a goblin in a bind. No, we'll set rats to nibble off your toes, pike out your eyes, and put them up your nose. Your fingers we'll remove with dull scissors, and we'll wait until your confidence withers."(- Thimbletack)

I really liked the whole series. It's kinda funny as the first book I was like "Hmm.. I'm not sure. I like the setting and I love faeries but just not sure." And ta-da! I really enjoyed all of it. The sibling bonding, the creatures (Thimbletack, Hogsq
Cindy
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
If I could rate the whole series altogether. I would give it a total of 3.5. The artworks though? That would be a briliant 5/5.

I feel that the author could do something more with the plot. Something more wow . This is the final book in the Spiderwick Chronicles and was I impressed? Not really. The world-building was great, the characters (humans and fey alike) are all fleshed out really well and each has a unique quality about them.
I guess I wanted more. I wanted the books to be longer. I wante
Crazy Uncle Ryan
Mar 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve mentioned this before but this is a really short series. Each of the books took me about 45 minutes to an hour to read. I thought this was a really good and creative story but with that being the case I would have liked to have seen the authors do more with it. In other words, make it longer. Granted, these books are aimed at people about my age so I guess I can’t expect it to be too long. Overall, I really liked these books. ...more
Marnie  Krüger
This was a fun quick series.
It was captivating and although I would've liked more, I realise that it's a series for children, and not when the authors wrote it they never took into account that adults will also read and love this.

This is a very good series to give to your child to read, or even to read to your child, because you will be enchanted!
Aaron W. Matthews
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, brief little series. Geared towards younger readers. It was a pretty fun set of books. The only thing I didn't care for was the hobgoblin character...super annoying! What a pumpkin head that guy was.
Brianne
It's a fun, quick series and I'm glad I finished it. I mostly read this one for a challenge, but it was funny and nice to read. I guess I'd recommend the series if you like fantasy and/or children's.
Bekah
Read as part of #ReadKidsLit

Solid ending, with room for far more adventures. Great job, kids! (and Thimbletack & Hogsqueal & Byron!) The ending was a teensy bit sad for certain reasons, but otherwise celebratory and full of contentment.
Cecilia Raya
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maddening, 2015-reads
I LOVEEE ITTT SO MUUUUUCH. IT WAS SO CUTE.
Nilsson
I'm thankful they finally got to the heart of the matter and put a stop to things. Bless them!
M.A. Guglielmo
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the conclusion of a fun middle grade fantasy series I read to my 8 year old daughter. It's a contemporary fantasy, where a troubled young boy and his siblings find a magical world when they have have to move into a creepy old house. The tropes are done well here, and the young characters believable as children. I was annoyed that the books were so short, and I had to keep buying them, but my daughter was enthralled by the story. The writing is good, although not stellar. There is a litt ...more
Ronel Janse van Vuuren
A chilling tale of children having to save their mother from the ogre Mulgarath and his horde of goblins.

The Grace children are, of course, successful.

But the most important part is that Jared comes to terms with his life and everything that had happened and is freed from his anger.

More faeries and more fun!

This was an excellent ending to the series – what fairy tales are made of.

Must read. Though probably meant for young readers (7-9 year olds), I recommend this to everyone who loves fantasy, f
Sara
May 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, read-in-2017
I've finally read the entire Spiderwick Chronicles.
I've had these on my shelf for almost ten years and after reading them I really liked them. I also really like the movie too.
I've always loved Tony DiTerlizzi's illustrations. His drawings are so cute and whimsical, they add so much to the story.

I enjoyed reading about the Grace children and their adventures finding out about all the mystical creatures. These aren't just stories for children, any age can enjoy, each taking something different aw
Cathy
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this series with my kids (7 and 4) has been so fun! They've been so excited to find out what happens. My 4-year-old has been playing Spiderwick whenever we aren't reading it. I was worried it would be too scary, especially for my youngest, but it wasn't too bad.
James
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finishing up this series with my daughter. Suitably epic ending, way better than the ending to the movie. We will definitely check out the other Spiderwick series. They mythology and characters are both great.
Nara S
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Personally, I'd give the last book in the series four stars. However, given my daughter cried when I finished the book, because "There's no more Spiderwick", I think it deserves a five.
Stephanie
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series was absolutely fantastic - I'm so glad that I got the opportunity to read through it again. It's one of those series where I love it more now than when I first read it.

This series deserves so much more attention - it promotes family, trust, friendship, and self-worth. For a middle grade series, it really stands up to some of the more popular YA series.
Kristi
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is so much fun and exactly what I needed right now
The Wrath of Mulgarath (book 5) 2 17 Aug 12, 2012 08:34AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Beyond the Valley of Thorns (The Land of Elyon, #2)
  • Corby Flood (Far-Flung Adventures, #2)
  • Into the Land of the Lost (The Secrets of Droon, #7)
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • High Wire (Edgar & Ellen, #5)
  • Under the Green Hill
  • How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2)
  • The Water Sprites (Fairy Realm, #8)
  • Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris (Theodosia Throckmorton, #2)
  • Escape from Castle Cant
  • Soul Stealer (The Alchemist's Son #2)
  • The Magic Mirror of the Mermaid Queen (Changeling, #2)
  • Wizardology (Ologies, #3)
New York Times bestselling author and illustrator Tony DiTerlizzi has been creating children’s books for nearly two decades. From fanciful picture books like The Spider & The Fly (a Caldecott Honor book), to chapter books like Kenny and The Dragon and the WondLa trilogy, DiTerlizzi imbues his stories with a rich imagination. With Holly Black, he created the middle-grade series, The Spiderwick ...more

The Spiderwick Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Field Guide