Start by marking “Annie on My Mind” as Want to Read:
Annie on My Mind

Annie on My Mind

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  30,792 Ratings  ·  1,298 Reviews
This groundbreaking book, first published in 1982, is the story of two teenage girls whose friendship blossoms into love and who, despite pressures from family and school that threaten their relationship, promise to be true to each other and their feelings.
Audiobook
Published December 23rd 2008 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published 1982)

Sarah Verminski
Annie On My Mind will always have a special place in my heart, it was the first lesbian themed book I ever read. You may not understand the enormity of this, but just try to understand being 14 and every book you read involves a romance between a man and a woman. Every movie, every TV show, everyone I know is straight, nobody knows I'm gay, I barely understand it myself, and I pick up this book and suddenly it's like I can breathe. Suddenly I don't feel so alone, there's an actual published book ...more
Elyse
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update: For those who are looking for 'wonderful' audiobooks --a 'great story' which will hold your interest from start to finish ---THIS IS IT!!! Its still one of my favorite audiobooks...
ECHO is 'exceptional'!!
I've been thinking about audiobooks --and I saw a member notice this book a few minutes ago--and I just can't say enough good things about it. I 'STILL' have Iris to thank!!!

I can't imagine 'anyone' not liking it!

Thank you **Iris** for this Audible book. I can't thank Iris enough! (an
Skyler
May 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure I'm qualified to write much of a review on this book, as I was never an adolescent lesbian. But I will say that it was incredibly easy to relate to--even for an adolescent hetero male--and the situation is touching, if not incredibly sad.

Liza is a teenager who finds a companion in a fellow museum-goer one star-struck day. Cautious and excited, she pursues her romance, despite the fact that many around her do not seem to understand. Through the help of a teacher, she finds guidance i
Thomas
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Thomas by: Himanshi Agrawal
It was like a war inside me; I couldn't even recognize all the sides. There was one that said, "No, this is wrong; you know it's wrong and bad and sinful," and there was another that said, "Nothing has ever felt so right and natural and true and good," and another that just wanted to stop thinking altogether and fling my arms around Annie and hold her forever. There were other sides, too, but I couldn't sort them out.

Can we talk about how Annie On My Mind was published in 1982? 1982? Almost 20 y
Sara
May 28, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i didn't read this book until i was in my mid-twenties, though it is a book written for a teen audience. it was published in 1982, but i never even heard about it until i was in a queer women's book club in dc. we decided to read this as one of our selections (as well as "are you there, god? it's me, margaret.") it is truly a beautiful story and perfect for teens struggling with their sexuality. the author, nancy garden, doesn't shy away from many of the difficulties of being queer, but it's hea ...more
Rose
Initial thoughts: I'm still trying to form thoughts on my reactions to "Annie on My Mind", but the one thing I can say was that this was a wonderful novel and I'm wondering why it took me so long to read it. Beautifully written, the relationship between Annie and Liza is quite resonant, not just in how it develops, but how it endures. I loved the ending, and I was happy to be able to listen to some reflective thoughts on Nancy Garden's life and personal experiences following the story.

Full revie
Rachel Hall
Reading Annie on My Mind in 2017, what was once considered a groundbreaking coming of age novel on its publication in 1982 admittedly feels incredibly dated. Thankfully attitudes have mellowed, albeit much too slowly, but besides the abhorrent treatment and an appreciation of progress made, the emotions of the story are still very true. Whilst the actual specifics and details may be markedly different for today's teenagers, the ensuing turmoil of self-acceptance and coming to terms with ones ide ...more
Anja V
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer
It's Annie and me they're all sitting around here like cardboard people judging; it's Annie and me. And what we did that they think is wrong, when you pare it all down, was fall in love.
"If you two remember nothing else from all this," Ms. Widmer said, "remember that. Please. Don't - don't punish yourselves for people's ignorant reactions to what we all are."
"Don't let ignorance win," said Ms. Stevenson. "Let love."

There's one simple reason why I put off reading Annie on My Mind for so long
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger, aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

Nancy Garden's ANNIE ON MY MIND, originally published in 1982, was recently re-released. (It includes an interview with the author herself.)

The book represents an early example of realistic young adult fiction depicting a lesbian relationship between two high school seniors. It is still a fitting portrayal for today's teens.

Liza and Annie meet in a New York museum and develop a fast friendship. Both seem to realize there is somet
Lisa
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First impression: UGH. I'd heard about the use of archaic words, but man a-live.

Thankfully that went away after a while.

More importantly, Annie bothered me. A lot. Who breaks into spontaneous Shakespearean character? Annoying Shakesperean character? I didn't get what it was about her that entranced Liza.

But then everything changed. I realized the metaphor behind the Shakespeare, and eventually the two of them (Annie in particular) stopped doing it. They gradually became, as Annie said, "real."
Les Read
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Annie on My Mind is a beautiful love story about a friendship that blooms into love for two young women who are from different sides of the track. Liza attends a private high school and comes from a white-collar family, and Annie attends a public school and comes from a lower-income part of town. They're both bright and accomplished teenagers: Liza, who is applying for MIT to study architecture and Annie, a talented singer who dreams of being accepted into the music program at UC Berkeley. The c ...more
Ant
Aug 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, lgbtqia
I know this is a predictable and outdated novel. I've read negative reviews and complaints about it before (some from aspiring LGBTQ writers, and I respect their opinions.) Yes, I am aware of its flaws despite the rating I gave it.

But it still remains as one of my favorites. Why? Because when I first read it (I was fourteen then), it brought me hope. During a time in my life where I was confused of my feelings, and thought myself as "abnormal", this book showed me that I wasn't alone. That even
Just a man's point of view
I think reviewing Annie on my mind should be a little different than other contemporary lesbian romances.

We should keep in mind that this book was written with a purpose. In the words of the author: "I wrote it to give solace to young gay people, to let them know they were not alone, that they could be happy and well adjusted and also to let heterosexual kids know that we gay people aren't monsters".
We should remember that this book was published in 1982, that it was banned from Kansan City scho
Julia
"What struck me most, though, was that, in that whole long article, the word 'love' wasn't used even once. That made me mad; it was as if whoever wrote the article didn't know that gay people actually love each other. The encyclopedia writers ought to talk to me, I thought as I went back to bed; I could tell them something about love."

This quote sums up pretty well what I loved the most about this book. Liza and Annie are only 17 year old when they fall in love, and this whole time, despite all
Agnese
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, ya, 1980-1989
Maybe I'm too picky or I've read too many amazing books, but I just can't give this book more than 2,5. 3 is too much for it.
Maybe it's because it's more for teens than people my age and I'm too old. Maybe 1980s it was great and so, but definitely not anymore. It's too slow and naive, I just couldn't believe it, I was longing for this book to end.
I really feel bad about giving this book 2, but I can't help myself. I know it's not the book, it's me... Sorry
Christina Wilder
Review also appears on The Book Lantern: http://www.thebooklantern.co.uk/2013/...

I am embarrassingly behind on reading most of the books that often grace the banned/challenged list. One that’s often caught my eye was Annie On My Mind, which continues to receive vitriol for its portrayal of two young women who fall in love with each other.

Young Adult as a genre has come a long way. Sure, there are the major setbacks of romanticizing abuse and cringe-worthy "teenspeak", but while there's the oblig
bianca
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-physical
I've been debating with myself on what to rate this book... It is 3.5 stars to me, but since goodreads still hasn't added the half a star option honestly goodreads wtf I've decided to round it up to 4 instead of 3.

This is a really cute, kind story about love, self descovering and self acceptance. Reading an LGBT+ book that was written in the fucking 80s is really interesting. I got to read how things were back then, even when I knew things were more difficult for the LGBT+ community, reading a b
Ann
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: slis-5425
My favorite part about this book is that 90 percent is simply a love story between two teenagers. Liza and Annie are both very different people, from Annie’s love of plants and music to Liza’s passion for architecture. But they find they have lots of things in common, such as cats, and their interests contrast nicely, drawing them closer to together. They are friends who gradually realize there is more between them than friendship, and fairly soon their only problem is finding a place where they ...more
♫✯Em loves Hollenstein✯♫❤pizza rolls over gender roles❤Don't fall in love with the moment and think you're in love with the girl
A tad slow but adorable <3
This book will stay with me forever.
It's a beautiful, beautiful love story.
I write this review after having reread the book for the first time since reading it last year, and I loved it even more this time.
The characters, Annie and Liza's romance.. it felt so real, and beautiful. Their story is a gorgeous one, and this book really has so much emotion and truth in it.
It isn't just a coming out or coming-of-age story, it is a ground-breaking love story.
I felt
Amy
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a love story about a teen who finds her soul mate and finds out she is gay at the same time. It deals not only her internal struggle with this realization, but the sometimes misguided effort of those around her to deal with it. It seems very cutting edge for it's time. Written in the early 1980s, it is a pretty realistic account of how the world reacted to gays at the time without losing the love story and focusing too much on gay discrimination.

I think this book would appeal to tee
Diana
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I read somewhere the other day that love is good as long as it's honest and unselfish and hurts no one" (161).

Once again another book recommended by my English teacher and read it in three days. Today I finished the novel and I must admit that I truly cried. Not a tear, but a sob. I really connected to this novel because it relates to things I'm going through currently. I learned so much from this novel that it's unbelievable. I learned new things about life and society; but most importantly a
Rebecca McNutt
I remember reading this book back in middle school (right before it was removed from the school library). What was unique about it was that it wasn't afraid to be honest, it was a book that dared to tell the truth: love is not a crime. Violence and hatred is.

It's the story of two young girls who fall in love and this was in a century where being gay was seen as a disease and mental illness, so naturally people were ignorant as to the truth about it. The truth is, it's a story about friendship, l
J.
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly contemporary for an early 80s novel, especially a YA novel about homosexuality. I wish I could say some I the moralizing and preening in the name of religion some of the antagonists do is anachronistic, but these days it's actually a political platform. Nevertheless, this novel also does a great job of foregrounding many of the challenges adolescents face gaining autonomy over their own bodies (not just sexually). Very well written (save the lack of clarity as to why the girls lose ...more
Maria
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
"'Don't let ignorance win', said Ms. Stevenson. 'Let love.'"

The first word that comes to mind when reading this book is cute. It's beyond adorable, really. And so innocent! The way they fell in love made me think of the first snow of the year. How it starts falling, quietly, gently, gracefully, at first, and then takes over everything, placing a sometimes rather heavy bright white blanket over the world. It's quite an experience.

I really liked how the story developed. Liza's family was absolutel
Geraldine Soh
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To me, no words can describe how was the book. Probably, there are, but, somehow, I felt that words like beautiful, amazing, inspiring are just understatements about the book. I guess, the book is 'fascinating' and 'magical'; just like what Liza felt about Annie.

The way Nancy Garden writes or describes about the story or places or the characters or even how they feel, is so vivid and real. I don't know why but it literally made my heart ache every time the book talks about Liza and Annie.

And the
Aragorn
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit, top-ten
Love is more than just the carnal desire--it is more than lust. It is more than the passion of the moment. As the saying goes, love knows no bounds. It does not see the colour of skin. It does not see gender. It does not see age. It does not see blood or wealth. Love simply is. It is the force that binds us all together. Love does not judge--why must we?

"Annie on My Mind" is the story of a seventeen-year-old girl named Liza Winthrop who becomes enchanted with Annie Kenyon, a seventeen-year-old f
flannery
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
A very sweet book I'd recommend for everyone! This is less about homosexuality than the complications that arise from falling in love with the "wrong" person, and the romance in here is very tenderly, very sympathetically portrayed, and despite those weird affectations in dialogue and mannerism that seem recurring in all 70s/80s YA fiction (who talks like this??) is realistic. I relate more to GLBT lit for kids than regular lit for kids because it deals with stuff outside the typical straight la ...more
Romane
May 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt
This book is a major letdown. At first, I was really fired up to read this, because I stumbled upon a lot of good reviews. The first chapter was okay, but the rest was just extremely boring — with the unnecessary detailing of trivial matters, and the annoying way in which Liza refers to herself and Annie as "gay people like us." I hated their medieval roleplay.

I am not moved by the storyline at all. The story seems very predictable, and of course it contains cliché moments where the main charact
T
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as i heard the first words, "It's raining annie", i was captured. I was transported instantly into the hearts and souls of these two young girls in love. She was able to convey the love and joy underneath the confusion and difficult situations, and not in a sad depressing way. It was 7 hours of melancholy, a deeply personal and touching tale.

This is one of those books that cannot be forgotten. I can see the characters, feel what they felt, and would insist to anyone that i know, that th
Sheida
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It feels weird not giving this book 5 stars considering how emotional it made me and how well-written it was but I feel like - and I never thought this was something I would say - it was about 50 pages too short. A few more pages in the beginning to properly develop the start of the relationship so that it wouldn't feel so rushed and a few more pages at the end to give a more thorough explanation for all that occurs afterwards and it would have been perfect. This is more of a 4.5 rating though b ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden 1 32 Jul 07, 2015 10:42PM
Self discovery 1 29 Jun 07, 2015 11:17AM
YA LGBT Books: * Nancy Garden Memorial Read - Annie On My Mind *spoilers* 8 96 Jan 13, 2015 04:25PM
AfterEllen.com Bo...: Annie on My Mind: Chapters 1-8. 8 134 Sep 19, 2014 01:29PM
AfterEllen.com Bo...: Annie on My Mind: Chapters 9-End. 12 80 Aug 07, 2014 12:28PM
  • Dare Truth or Promise
  • Am I Blue?: Coming Out from the Silence
  • Empress of the World (Battle Hall Davies, #1)
  • grl2grl
  • Kissing Kate
  • A Love Story Starring My Dead Best Friend
  • The Bermudez Triangle
  • Girl Walking Backwards
A versatile writer, Nancy Garden has published books for children as well as for teens, nonfiction as well as fiction. But her novel Annie on My Mind, the story of two high school girls who fall in love with each other, has brought her more attention than she wanted when it was burned in front of the Kansas City School Board building in 1993 and banned from school library shelves in Olathe, Kansas ...more
More about Nancy Garden...

“There’s a Greek legend—no, it’s in something Plato wrote—about how true lovers are really two halves of the same person. It says that people wander around searching for their other half, and when they find him or her, they are finally whole and perfect. The thing that gets me is that the story says that originally all people were really pairs of people, joined back to back, and that some of the pairs were man and man, some woman and woman, and others man and woman. What happened was that all of these double people went to war with the gods, and the gods, to punish them, split them all in two. That’s why some lovers are heterosexual and some are homosexual, female and female, or male and male.” 169 likes
“The thing about mountains is that you have to keep on climbing them, and that it's always hard, but there's a view from top every time when you finally get there.” 99 likes