Start by marking “Foraged Flavor: Finding Fabulous Ingredients in Your Backyard or Farmer's Market, with 88 Recipes” as Want to Read:

Forage for wild food and discover delicious edible plants growing everywhere—including your backyard—and how best to prepare them to highlight their unique flavors, with this seasonally organized field guide and cookbook.

While others have identified in the past which wild plants are edible, Tama Matsuoka Wong, the forager for Daniel, the flagship restaurant of renowned
Published June 12th 2012 by Clarkson Potter (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Foraged Flavor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foraged Flavor

Start your review of Foraged Flavor: Finding Fabulous Ingredients in Your Backyard or Farmer's Market, with 88 Recipes
Khristiey
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
really enjoyed this one. practical advice, easy recipes. I'm amazed at how many plants in my yard are actually edible. too bad i discovered this book in the fall, could've had a much more interesting dinner table if i had read this book when it was first published. a definite must for the adventurous cook. adding a copy to the library as soon as i can.
Gretta Walhovd
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love that this book focuses on a small list of easy-to-identify and very common plants in North America to forage. I found many of these in my own yard, volunteering! Other foraging books are often exhaustive lists of less-available plants and can intimidate those without a botany degree.
Carolyn
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
may end up getting my own copy, on 3rd library checkout...
Nick Woodall
I loved this book! Very unique. It is about a woman who worked on Wall Street and ultimately became a full-time food forager for a restaurant in NYC. She gives plant details, cooking instructions, recipes. Lots of fun. I actually have located several of the plants on my farm and can't wait to cook them or serve them in a salad!
Abilouise
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The photos are useful, the descriptions are helpful, the recipes seem good and the traffic light system she uses to help you figure out when you're responsibly foraging invasive species vs. disturbing the dang ecosystem is nice.
Jemkagily
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recipes for foraged plants do me absolutely no good without a clear illustration of which plant we are talking about. My edition actually had an erratum card in it showing that they had printed the wrong line drawing for POISON IVY.
Suzie
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Met Tama and we had lunch together. She is inspiring as is this book that places weeds in a whole new category of desirable eats. She did a TED Manhattan talk recently (available on YouTube) This book has been nominated for the James Beard Award.
Jan Deelstra
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a book for the kitchen shelf. It's also the book I would like most to memorize for the fantastic info about just about every plant I've ever heard of. A fabulous find.
Shari
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Pictures from different seasons and recipes too. Unusual enough that I wouldn't use.
Amy
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Could have been improved with color photographs accompanying each plant example.
Jane H
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous book inspiring creativity with readily available edibles. Yum! I had no idea we could eat the daylilies about to flower in my yard, and the kids are going wild for pineapple weed!
Kate
Dec 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: gimme
Best photos and descriptions I've seen in a book of this kind to date. Not that I've read a lot of these but way easier to ID edibles from this book than from the others I've tried.
Krista Schnee
Aug 20, 2017
Gordon Woolley Jr.
Dec 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Plain Vanilla Murder (China Bayles Mystery #27)
  • Folded Book Art: 35 beautiful projects to transform your books—create cards, display scenes, decorations, gifts, and more
  • Locavore's Handbook: The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 1: Back to Basics
  • Robert B. Parker's Slow Burn (Spenser, #44)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 2: Friends and Foes
  • Salt Smoke Time: Homesteading and Heritage Techniques for the Modern Kitchen
  • The Witness Wore Red: The 19th Wife Who Brought Polygamous Cult Leaders to Justice
  • The Folk Keeper
  • The Salt Roads
  • Robert B. Parker's Little White Lies (Spenser, #45)
  • A Question of Honor (Bess Crawford, #5)
  • The Black Ascot (Inspector Ian Rutledge #21)
  • The Death of Kings (John Madden, #5)
  • Robert B. Parker's Old Black Magic (Spenser, #46)
  • Amazing Indian Desserts: Spectacular Spice-Infused Cakes, Custards and More
  • The Gate Keeper (Inspector Ian Rutledge #20)
  • An Unwilling Accomplice (Bess Crawford, #6)