Start by marking “Affair” as Want to Read:
Affair

Affair

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  5,272 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
Charlotte Arkendale knew all there was to know about men. After all, she'd made a career out of steering marriage-minded women away from untrustworthy members of the opposite sex.

Yet nothing could have prepared her for Baxter St. Ives--an arresting stranger too daring, too determined, too dangerous to be her new man-of-affairs. Still, perhaps he was the perfect person to h
Audio
Published July 5th 2000 by Random House Audio (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Affair

LibraryLass
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper, re-read, 2008, 2010, 2011
As always, another very satisfying read from this author. When I am in a reading funk I always turn to AQ for a story that will cheer me and get me back in the zone. Love her writing to pieces.
Daniella
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My feelings for Ms. Amanda Quick's Affair hovered dangerously close to dislike at certain points in the story, but somehow, something--my loyalty to the author, perhaps?--kept me from actually going to that "I-Could-Care-Less-About-This-Awful-Book" zone.

There were so many things wrong with the story that prevented me from liking it. There was no chemistry at all between Charlotte and Baxter. I could not, for the life of me, believe in their love. It felt forced and out of place, because wheneve
Pepa
3.5

La historia me ha gustado y, creo que de los tres que he leído de esta autora, la trama es la que más me ha mantenido en suspense... sabía por donde iban a ir los tiros, pero no los motivos y al final todo queda bastante aclarado.
He de decir que la culpa la tiene la autora,hace poco terminé uno de ella y como todos siguen el mismo esquema, conocer al asesino no resulta demasiado complicado.
La pega que les pongo siempre a estas novelas es que el amor se relega a un segundo plano y yo, ante tod
Pamela Shropshire
This is my favorite of all Jayne Ann Krentz's (aka Amanda Quick) books. Once again she has written a compelling female lead, but in this case, I find the hero - a geeky scientist! - equally fascinating!

Charlotte Arkendale is strong, intelligent and resourceful. She invented a career to support herself and her younger sister after their stepfather squandered their money. It is through her career that she meets Baxter.

Baxter is the illegitimate son of a earl; his father put him in charge of the fa
Aarann
Nothing out of the ordinary for Amanda Quick. Certainly not bad, especially in comparison to her other books, but all-in-all, sort of "meh" for me.

I'm normally a fan of the nerdy hero trope, but in this case, Baxter came off as more uninteresting than he should have. The guy was a bastard (by birth, not by personality) of an earl and had to contend with a younger half-brother who inherited what should have been his birthright and the brother's step-mother, not to mention a bunch of very interest
LibraryLass
One of my favourites by this author. Re-read no. 4

Original review: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
Annette
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Amanda Quick's writing. She writes of strong women who know their own minds and have a plan for life. Her heroes are patient men who learn to deal with those women and enjoy every minute. And along with the mystery and the romance there is always humor. This reader loves her humor.

Charlotte has developed a business that will support herself and her younger sister. She does background checks on future husbands of wealthy women. She has found a niche and learned to make the most of t
Maqluba
Read this one for the romance rather than the mystery cuz it took me two minutes to figure it out and even if I had not figured to out it wasn't that fun. The romance on the other-hand was a lot of fun. He's a nerdy chemist who's blunt and has no time or need to pay attention to society rules and decorum. She's a tough investigator who just wants to solve the murder of her client and hire a bodyguard. She's also the only one in the world, it seems, that sees the man behind the glasses.. Even whe ...more
Cyn
Oct 21, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like romance, and don't mind a bot of naughty!
Shelves: fiction
Here's another of those books I had to read for school. A "read a book you usually wouldn't" title, and this is one of those regency bodice-rippers that actually turned out to be a bit of fun. Here's why...
Charlotte is one of those poor Regency-era women whose parents died and her inheritance was squandered by her stepfather. However, Charlotte has made due by skipping the social scene and raising her younger sister by starting her own "dating service" of sorts- she investigates prospective suit
Tracy
I so love anything that Jayne Ann Krentz writes. I don't normally read historical romance but Quick has a way of writing it and I just couldn't put it down. Her writing is always so beautiful and it flows elegantly.

Charlotte and her sister, Ariel is left with nothing once their mother dies and their stepfather spends all of their inheritance. On one fateful night a stranger is brought into her home so that her sister can pay off the debt that her stepfather incurs from gambling. Charlotte uses h
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Affair (1997) 1 3 Sep 27, 2012 12:21PM
  • Absolutely, Positively
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...

“that were not the case. Unfortunately, there is” 0 likes