Start by marking “Wolves in Chic Clothing” as Want to Read:
Wolves in Chic Clothing

Wolves in Chic Clothing

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  2,146 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
In The Right Address, Carrie Karasyov and Jill Kargman seared through the upper crust of New York’s glitterati with wicked glee. In their delicious new novel, Wolves in Chic Clothing, they train their merciless spotlight on the young princes and princesses poised to inherit Park Avenue.

Julia, a hip, downtown salesgirl at Pelham’s jewelry store, finds her social life turn
Audio
Published April 5th 2005 by Random House Audio (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Wolves in Chic Clothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolves in Chic Clothing

Erin
May 14, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Julia Pearce is a salesgirl in a Manhattan jewelery store who is plucked from obscurity by the socialite whose father owns the jewelers. Lell Pelham is the ultimate it girl. She and her trust funded girlfriends decide to make Julia one of their group. She gets a big promotion and suddenly is jet setting with the creme de la creme of New York society. All this is complicated when Lell's husband falls for Julia.

This is the worst kind of chick lit... unbelievable and predictable at every turn. Ever
Lorraine
May 18, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard chicklit fans only
Recommended to Lorraine by: the title looked interesting (the book wasn't)
Filled with every chic-lit cliche! Main character: Wholesome girl who doesn't realize how drop-dead gorgeous she is moves to the Big City; quickly gets 'noticed' by her boss, gets a huge unrealistic promotion which allows her to design jewellery, her dream career; she has upstanding morals about relationships yet loves the 'wild' married guy and doesn't notice the great 'good' single guy (rich and good-hearted) standing right in front of her (who is also a cliche); both are caught up with a supe ...more
Rebecca
Jun 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
This book was actually on my list and I found it on the recently returned shelf. Yay! I love it when that happens. Otherwise, this is your typical New York upper-class story where the girls have nothing else to do, but claim lower class girls who have potential but no money to mould them into what they want. Two rich friends are always competing with each other because they don’t have much else to do with their lives. Girl #1’s family owns a Tiffany-type jewellery store and since she got married ...more
Mary
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had tried reading this book before in the past and just couldn't get very far into the story. I ended up picking it up from the library again in the hopes I could get through it the second time around. As far as chick lit goes, this is pretty similar to others--predictable, high end name dropping, socialites, etc. I've read better, and a few worse than this. It was still a struggle to get through, as before. Sometimes I got hooked into the story and couldn't put the book down, other times, it ...more
Tatia
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Your typical chic lit fantasy, girl wants to make it in New York, is invited in by upper society, falls for the wrong guy, cast out by the mean girl, ends up with the right guy and her dreams realized. Nothing really original here and the story wrapped up quite abruptly with a pretty little bow on it.
Megan
May 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the build up of the book. I feel the end was too rushed!
Karen Roberts
Dec 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unbearable

I wasn't expecting much from the book, and it didn't deliver much. The characters are so cliched, and the plot is exactly like a thousand other chick lit books
Stinkydiver
Probably some of the best chic-lit I have read. Though I don't know if that is saying much.
Jackie
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The title of book got my attention. It cute read 4 different characters all with their own secrets and lives. Let you know that even though some people may look like they got the Divine Life does not mean there life is any better than yours.
Diane Morasco
Wolves in Chic Clothing is as delicious as a banana split oozing w/ hot fudge, caramel & butterscotch!

Forget Chick Lit, I'm talking juicy Gossip Lit. Yum! Dig in!

Set against the glittering backdrop of New York City, Karasyov & Kargman co-author a tale dripping w/ wicked goodness.

Welcome to the lush, decadent society sphere that few live but many dream of making it their own.

Ahhh, the glitz & glamour of the beautiful people, wrapped in ravishing clothes, dining @ extravagant restauran
Brittany
Jun 25, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Candace Bushnell fans, NYC fans, Older Gossip Girl fans, Ages 17-45
Recommended to Brittany by: A magazine of some sort
How I Came To Read This Book: I believe I read about this in something like Teen Vogue or In Style and promptly picked it up, as well as the authors' previous joint effort, The Right Address. I read this one first.

The Plot: Julia is a jewelery salesgirl when she gets a last-minute gig as the escort for a particularly expensive piece of jewelery at the wedding of NYC socialite Lell Pelham (whose family I believe also owns the jewelery store Julia works at). Almost instantly, Lell's entourage is t
Eliza Nat
Nov 26, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is suitable if you're looking for:

-A plot as a canvas to put in your own details
-A book to fill the one empty slot in your shelf

One-line summary: Potentially good plot but poorly delivered.

It's not the best way to start but I am thoroughly disappointed with this book. The synopsis sounded promising but the book was a disappointment. There were unnecessary characters (characters introduced in detail but played no role/did not make an appearance later in the book), unnecessary details (o
Tori
2005- I've read other books that fall into this chick lit sub-category (Bergdorf Blondes, etc) and found that there is a thin line between love and hate of the uber-rich who star in these stories. The protagonist usually is someone who is not ""born"" into the lifestyle, so we can usually side with her. However, if the protagonist is just completely clueless, well, do we have to? In this story, a group of heiresses decide to take Julia Pearce, a salesgirl, under their wing...until something bett ...more
Marsha
The rich really know how to live…or do they? This book is filled with the pointed catfighting, vicious jockeying for position and scrambling attempts to keep up with the Joneses that you would expect among people who not only have to be rich but act rich as well—and that’s only among friends.

Brimming with skillfully drawn characters and situations that grow decidedly darker as the book progresses, “Wolves in Chic Clothing” shows that happiness remains as elusive for the very rich as it does for
Monkeyface
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished listining to Wolves in Chic Clothing: A Novel
by Carrie Karasyov. I enjoyed this book. I thought is was rather fun and so the truth on how some girls can be. About a girl named Julia, a hip, downtown salesgirl at Pelhams jewelry store finds her social life turned on its head when she is asked to deliver a necklace to the stores young heiress, Lell Pelham, on Lells wedding day. Beguiled by Julias earnest cluelessness and her vintage-chic vibe, Lell and her gang adopt Julia just for a lau
Carla
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
When I was pages into the book, I realised that I had already read but not finished this book. So I started over and finished it this time, but I also understand why I put it away. It's not a terrible read, but this book about "the rich" and a poor girl gets a bit tedious. At best it has its funny sections, but it's a bit too black and white to me. Bored rich women are mean, judgmental and only interested in empty conversations and each other's husbands. And then there is this good-looking, smar ...more
Betsy
May 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVED this book! I found myself involved with the characters, so much so that I wished they were real people so I could either a.) give them a big hug (Hope, Oscar, Charlie) or b.) give them a big punch in the face (Lel, Polly, Henny, Will)! The best part of the book for me, though, was the way everything wrapped up to my satisfaction -- totally! The good guys and the bad guys got what they deserved, and some of the 'bad' guys didn't turn out to be so bad after all, once they had th ...more
Porscha
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
As far as "chick lit" goes, it's pretty standard and very predictable. It was, however, just the right length to get away with all of the above without becoming like a spectacular waste of time. (And yes, Virginia, that was a Southern compliment.)

Listen, it's not the most fascinating work because you see everything coming before ever having to turn the page, but it's a quick and sudsy read, and in that category, it's just fine. If you were a fan of "Everyone Worth Knowing," this will appear to
Sherri Hunter
Feb 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was a fast read with several amusing bits but for the most part, very predictable. It is sad and pathetic just how shallow some people can be. The only one in Lell's band of bitches I could tolerate at all was Hope. She at least displayed compassion though I wished she would stand up to Polly and Lell and tell them where to go. I thought Julia's roomie Douglas was a hoot. Not a lot of substance to this story but if you are looking for mind numbing fluff with some laughs, this should fi ...more
Lori Anaple
This type of book really doesn't do much for Chick Lit. I really like chick lit too. The characters are caricatures. The plot invisible to thin. And the writing, ehhhh. I finished it, but it took me a few days (in my world, that is not a ringing endorsement). If you have nothing else, hit it up, but otherwise, take a pass.

OH! And the "Twist" with one of the husband's was beyond ridiculous. It wasn't hinted or even suggested. I should put this as a 1, but I didn't HATE it. I just would never seek
stephanie
Jun 19, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
claims to be the next Devil Wears Prada but falls drastically short. there is nice talk about diamonds though, and it is set in new york and does talk fashion (the best character is not julia, or lell, but the gay best friend) so you know, merits? also, it survived the move and purge, so something about it had to be redeeming.

obviously i am reccing my chicklit shelf tonight and revealing how shallow i really am. still! there's nothing like manhattan based chicklit to change your mood, i SWEAR.
May 24, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gotta say Wolves in Chic Clothing was not good writing; however, once again, for what it was, it was an amusing read. Somehow I now understand why creative writing teachers always said, "Don't write the slang, write so the readers can hear the slang in their heads as they read." Such obvious slang/modern references really pop, and not in a good way. They totally break the flow of the writing--or maybe that's just me?
Katie
Oct 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was alright - the authors changed perspective without any warning from one paragraph to the next which was interesting. But it was normal, predictable chick-lit. Some of the characters you hated, as you were supposed to, and there were also some redeeming characters, but like I said, predictable.
Waspyredhead
Not impressed. I don't mind chick lit when the dialog is smart and the characters are realistic. That was not the case with this book. More mindless lines dedicated to what the characters are wearing and what kind of purse they are carrying.

It wasn't painful, and I'm glad I read it as it kept me entertained at the time.
Michelle Robinson
Generally I don't like books about super wealthy super spoiled people. However, this book was interesting. I have no idea how accurate the portrayal of this strata of our society may be but this was an interesting book. I don't know that I would read another by this author as this subject does not appeal to me at all.
Carol Fanning
I was hoping this book would be a fun, fluffy, tart novel in the style of Candice Bushnell or Plum Sykes, but even in the category of trash it was disappointing. The Gossip Girl series is better written than this book. Still, if you want candy, this might satisfy your sweet tooth--it's just more Skittles than gourmet chocolate.
Julie McElhaney
Ok, I should probably be embarrassed to admit that I really liked this book. It's not great literature! But even though it's a bit predictible I enjoyed the personalities of the characters. Not for everyone, and not really believable, but if you can suspend the expectation of reality it's a fun listen!
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I barely remember reading this several years ago. What I noted at the time was that it was silly and predictable, but readable. Julia Pearce works in a big New York City jewelry store, and wants to be a jewelry designer. Of course she's gorgeous. Her boss and her snooty friends decide to make her an Eliza Doolittle-type project. I was not motivated to read more by these writers.
Katie
Jan 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a quick read, typical chick-lit, good for the beach (where I read it). It's not a literary masterpiece and the resolution is exceptionally hasty, but really, what are you looking for in a book like this?

Throw it in your beach bag and finish it in a day.
Agnesv
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sample only. Did not like the style enough to buy the book. Characters are cliched (rich girl who picks men to annoy, then please her mother. Poor working girl with gay roommate trying to make it big in New York)
India Dilse 1 3 Oct 13, 2016 01:50AM
  • The Ex-Debutante
  • The Ivy Chronicles
  • Gucci Gucci Coo
  • Hedge Fund Wives
  • The Thin Pink Line (Jane Taylor, #1)
  • So 5 Minutes Ago
  • The J.A.P. Chronicles
  • The Secret Lives of Fortunate Wives
  • Goodbye, Jimmy Choo
  • Insider Dating
  • The Importance of Being Married (Jessica Wild, #1)
  • Your Big Break
  • The First Assistant: A Continuing Tale from Behind the Hollywood Curtain
  • Family Trust
Best-selling author Carrie Doyle (Karasyov) latest books are DEATH ON WINDMILL WAY and DEATH ON LILY POND LANE, the first two books of the HAMPTONS MURDER MYSTERY SERIES.

Carrie was born in New York City and majored in Russian Language and Literature at Barnard College. She was the founding Editor-in-Chief of the Russian edition of Marie Claire.

Carrie and former schoolmate Jill Kargman collaborate
More about Carrie Doyle Karasyov...

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)