Start by marking “Building Hypermedia APIs with HTML5 and Node” as Want to Read:
Building Hypermedia APIs with HTML5 and Node

Building Hypermedia APIs with HTML5 and Node

With this concise book, you’ll learn the art of building hypermedia APIs that don’t simply run on the Web, but that actually exist in the Web. You’ll start with the general principles and technologies behind this architectural approach, and then dive hands-on into three fully-functional API examples.

Too many APIs rely on concepts rooted in desktop and local area network pa
Published December 1st 2011 by O'Reilly Media (first published October 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Building Hypermedia APIs with HTML5 and Node, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building Hypermedia APIs with HTML5 and Node

Start your review of Building Hypermedia APIs with HTML5 and Node
Steve Klabnik
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
If you're building a hypermedia API, this book is a must read. I think that the title is wrong, it should really be something like "Musings on Media Types" but then it wouldn't really get read by people...

Node and HTML5 are incidental. They were chosen because every web developer should know Javascript, and so it should make them applicable no matter what primary language you develop in.

I disagree with other reviewers that the code samples should be removed; one of the primary things people comp
Sergey Shishkin
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Mike Amundsen is a well-known expert in the field of distributed technology. In this writing he explains the importance of hypermedia for designing a web API and gives a few examples of hypermedia designs.

The title of this book implies a focus on HTML5 and Node.js. HTML5 examples are not specific to the fifth version of HTML though and the Node.js JavaScript code is naive at best. The author argues that the code quality should not distract the reader from the subject of hypermedia design, but in
Alessandro Pellizzari
I primi capitoli sono estremamente teorici, molto difficili da leggere e non molto approfonditi.
Purtroppo danno le basi per le spiegazioni nei capitoli successivi, che contengono molti esempi esplicativi, ma faticano a spiegare come tali esempi si relazionino con la teoria.

I capitoli finali, infine, spiegano come scrivere la documentazione, ma in modo un po' troppo fumoso. Fortunatamente le appendici contengono esempi anche di questo.

Forse rileggendolo più volte o cercando documentazione correla
Bjoern Rochel
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Well, Sergey sums it up pretty well.

There're some really interesting aspects in this book about media type design. The design of collection+json for me really sparked my imagination about what's possible in hypermedia design. I also liked the definition of the H- factors and the chapter about the media type documentation.

Unfortunately the book is cluttered with probably already outdated Node.js demo code. I think the book would have been way better if he had just restricted himself to the HTTP r
Glenn Burnside
Mar 26, 2012 rated it liked it

I would have liked more analysis of the server side code that realized the given resource designs. I'm still looking for that reference that shows me a real for real business app via rest API, complete with auth, validation, multiple listeners for domain events, long running transactions, and all the other "stuff" that has to happen server side when the client says "post this little form"
Ryan
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book articulated many of the principles of Hypermedia that I've wondered about but never was able to quite put my finger on them. Mike's book helped me to organize these principles in my head and showed me how to put them into practice. Very enlightening. ...more
Kenton
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The author has extensively researched the issues and techniques of building a hypermedia API. A hypermedia API seems novel, yet it is the classical interface of the worldwide web. This book is mostly about Hypermedia APIs. You will not become a HTML5 or Node programmer by reading this book.
Kirill
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Although to some extent useful, this book ist not that good structured as the "RESTful Web APIs" - another (co-authored) book of Mike Amundsen ...more
jg
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
REST done right
David
Not as useful or current as I hoped, but some pieces here and there were helpful
Brannon
Mar 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a very timely book for defining Hypermedia. I really like the examples used in the book, and the author goes into depth on each example.
Dan Weinand

• OAuth 2 in Action
  • The Magic of Thinking Big
  • Break Shot: My First 21 Years

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »