Start by marking “Open Heart, Open Mind: A Guide to Inner Transformation” as Want to Read:
Open Heart, Open Mind:  A Guide to Inner Transformation

Open Heart, Open Mind: A Guide to Inner Transformation

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
In Open Heart, Open Mind, Tsoknyi Rinpoche--one of the most beloved of the contemporary generation of Tibetan Buddhist meditation masters--explains that a life free of fear, pain, insecurity, and doubt is not only possible, it's our birthright. We long for peace, for the ability to love and be loved openly and freely, and for the confidence and clarity to meet the various ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Random House Digital, Inc. (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Open Heart, Open Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Open Heart, Open Mind

Jeanne
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dharma, helpful
This book is as helpful, generous, kind and humorous as Tibetan teacher and author Tsoknyi Rinpoche himself. With co-author Eric Swanson, Rinpoche offers advice, based on fundamental Tibetan Buddhist wisdom, to anyone who wants to do more than merely cope with our speedy, challenging modern world. I would recommend Open Heart, Open Mind to those who are seeking to re-find or uncover the warm-hearted spark within, and to live life with love, joy and kindness.

The warm, conversational tone of the t
Isabel Burt
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A warm introduction to Tsoknyi Rinpoche's strand of Buddhism. A pleasure to read.
Brad McKenna
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhism
I picked up this book because Pema Chodron mentioned it. I love Ms. Chodron so I trusted her recommendation and was awarded for it.

Tsoknyi Rinpoche battled inner turmoil whilst studying to be a monk. As a Tulku (reincarnation of a great teacher), he really wasn't given a choice to start studying but was allowed to leave the order. Now he's a married father of two that travels the world and teaches. There were three things in the book that I'd like to highlight.

First, he refers to something cal
Melissa
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A friend recommended this book and ever since then it means a lot to me. I didn't want to finish it because on days where I feel torn apart, I pick up this book and read, and feel much better after. I used mindfulness taught in the book, allowing me to be much more at peace with myself. Even though i don't have a religion nor am i spiritual, this book still changed the way I see myself and others. It has taught me to "let go", something which I have a lot of trouble with.
I particularly loved Ts
Alex Lennon
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and very approachable book which really speaks to me.
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: others
Open Heart, Open Mind was a book a friend at work recommended as a good read to be more positive in a work environment that has turned very negative recently. This book is based on the Buddhism religion, and encourages everyone to seek happiness in a world that is increasingly uncertain and bleak. I thought it was interesting how the author described his youth and the pressures he faced to be perfect, to be the individual people expected him to be… which leaves the impression that those pressure ...more
Gwen
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book could easily have been divided up into three - that's how much is packed into 237 pages - all well-explained and precious teachings. There were a couple of places where I felt the narrative wasn't quite as focused, but then he starts on a new topic, and I was riveted all over again! I get the idea Rinpoche is bringing some information to us that isn't normally presented to the general public. His own experience of having snuck into libraries as a young monk and read books that were a b ...more
Carole
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
Unlike Tsoknyi Rinpoche's other books which are compilations of edited lectures that are primarily of interest to students of Dzogchen (and are brilliant on the subject), this is a much more personal book. He describes his uneasy path as a tulku (reincarnated lama) through leaving his family to be taught by some of the great masters of Tibetan Buddhism, and how he gave up his monastic vows, married and became a family man, all of which inform the lessons of this book. It is an well written book ...more
Eric
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book makes an interesting addition to my Buddhist / mindfulness-related due to the fact that the author was trained as a Buddhist monk, but then renounced his vows, got married, and had kids. That greater similarity to my own life helped me get past some potential hurdles in accepting the teaching.

There were some good anecdotes about some folks that Tsoknyi Rinpoche has worked with, including two that were chillingly familiar to some of my own struggles.

Chapter 12 "Putting it Together" is
me
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhism
I read many Buddhist books. Lately, I haven't felt connect to many. I find many Buddhist authors while wanting to assist others are not as learned or experienced as they should. I start many books then put them down because of this.

That being stated, I read this book from cover to cover. I found it easy to connect with the author. He has had many years of exposure to very qualified and experienced teachers and it shows.

I also like he is a householder, it provides a interesting view.

Overall, I
Clivemichael
Dec 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Well written insightful and accessible to this non Buddhist. It certainly had me thinking especially about attachment among other things. There are opportunities to practice, which I did not. Each chapter though struck a chord within me. I read a chapter about every other day allowing much time for reflection on the "lessons". I plan to read it again and possibly incorporate some of the meditations into my daily existence in my transition towards my intention to be in the moment, present to pos ...more
Ana Hernandez
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Lovely, funny, warm, teachings; fast, accessible read. Great insight on essence love, the work of learning to love and be loved by tapping into the spark of brilliance we all possess. How to pay attention to that which brings out our capacity for warmth, courage, and openness, as well as how to work with the things that get in way of clarity.
This would be an excellent graduation gift for high school and older.
Vishnu
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: moc-writers, buddhism
I thought this book was going to be more about Tsonkyi Rinpoche's personal choice to leave monastic life, and it wasn't. I also hoped this book would discuss something interesting about the idea of "Essence Love," and I didn't see much of that either. Instead, this book was kind of a plain vanilla general introduction to Buddhism and meditation. For what it was, it was pretty good! But definitely not what I was in the market for.
Katherine Collins
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirit
This book contains a helpful categorization: “REAL BUT NOT TRUE”. Many fears, notes Rinpoche, fall into this category. This is not just clever wordsmithing – it gives us a helpful way to approach our fears. Instead of trying to brush fears aside or feeling helpless because they are irrational, we can acknowledge that they are indeed real, and then move on to recognizing that they are ALSO not true, clearing the way for less fear and more joy.
Beverly
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
The author of this book is actually Tsokyni Rinpoche with Swanson more as an editor/coauthor. And the subtitle is actually Awakening the Power of Essence Love. Shows that even rinpoches have their challenges to overcome, and he demonstrates how to do this. Worth reading.
Mary
The story that begins this story:
the speaker was chosen, at age 8, to be the next great spiritual teacher. After completing years of study, he asked to be released from his vows.
Got hitched to his Love and had two children.
And now: he's a great spiritual teacher.
Jim
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I never could connect as deeply as I hoped. In line with my own practice, I could either recall or put into practice those things I first learned as I began more than 15 years ago.
Maughn Gregory
Mostly easy-breezy lessons in keeping the mind open and the heart soft - with now-and-then revelatory thunderbolts of insight.
Mark
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Buy this book!!!!
Pixie
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, library
This was an amazingly informative book. The stories made it easier to relate and the lessons were easy to follow. Definitely recommend this book.
Ben Payne
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. The author is both a buddhist monk and an outsider, bringing a nice mix of humility and wisdom. Thoughtful and full of great insights.
May 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book has moments of sheer genius surrounded by lots of boring.
Nikki Magennis
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Clear, pragmatic and thought provoking.
Christineslucas
Wonderful way to examine how your own thinking can help or hurt you.
Laura B
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic advise about dealing with circumstances and emotions.
Amy
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A well-written, very accessible overview of several Buddhist practices. Highly applicable.
David
  • Dakini's Warm Breath: The Feminine Principle in Tibetan Buddhism
  • Faith: Trusting Your Own Deepest Experience
  • True Refuge: Finding Peace and Freedom in Your Own Awakened Heart
  • The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Blooming of a Lotus: Guided Meditations for Achieving the Miracle of Mindfulness
  • The Pregnant Virgin: A Process of Psychological Transformation (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 21)
  • Storycatcher: Making Sense of Our Lives through the Power and Practice of Story
  • Balancing Heaven and Earth: A Memoir of Visions, Dreams, and Realizations
  • Essential Spirituality: The 7 Central Practices to Awaken Heart and Mind
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • The Wisdom of Compassion: Stories of Remarkable Encounters and Timeless Insights
  • One Native Life
  • Zen Under Fire: How I Found Peace in the Midst of War
  • The Active Life: A Spirituality of Work, Creativity, and Caring
  • The Healing Power of Mind: Simple Meditation Exercises for Health, Well-Being, and Enlightenment (Buddhayana Series, VII)
  • The Power of an Open Question: A Buddhist Approach to Abiding in Uncertainty
Born in 1966 in Nubri, Nepal, TSOKNYI RINPOCHE is one of the most renowned teachers of Tibetan Buddhism trained outside of Tibet. Deeply versed in both the practical and philosophical disciplines of Tibetan Buddhism, he is beloved by students around the world for his accessible style, his generous and self-deprecating humor, and his deeply personal, compassionate insight into human nature. The mar ...more
More about Tsoknyi Rinpoche...

“You don't have to say anything. You don't have to teach anything. You just have to be who you are: a bright flame shining in the darkness of despair, a shining example of a person able to cross bridges by opening your heart and mind.” 16 likes
“Every time you connect, a little bit more clarity stays around the love, a little bit more space opens up around it. your mind becomes clearer. you experience expanded possibilities. You become a little more confident, a little more willing to connect with others, a little more willing to open up to other people, whether that means talking about your own stuff or listen to theirs. And as that happens a little miracle occurs: You're giving, without expectation in return. Your very being becomes, consciously or not, an inspiration to others” 11 likes