Start by marking “What a Young Woman Ought to Know” as Want to Read:
What a Young Woman Ought to Know

What a Young Woman Ought to Know

This book was converted from its physical edition to the digital format by a community of volunteers. You may find it for free on the web. Purchase of the Kindle edition includes wireless delivery.
Published (first published 1898)

To ask other readers questions about What a Young Woman Ought to Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What a Young Woman Ought to Know

Lisa
A 2.5 really...

It will come as no surprise that many things have changed for young women in the years since this book was published at the end of the 19th century. Happily, I wasn't reading this for advice but as a historical curiosity (although i did initially come across it after it was cheekily suggested that it would help temper my chippiness).

If I had been a 19th century girl, a small portion of this would have been rather sensible and illuminating (such as explaining menstruation and the u
Valerie Rayne
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
It was interesting to read about the morals of women in a time that now seems ao foreign. And I could not get enough of some of the absurdities, like that girls should not be allowed to run up and down stairs but for boys it's a perfectly acceptable past time.

At points, Mary Wood-Allen had me cackling at some of the advice and at other points, I was nodding along vigorously with her observations. No book has ever made me say, "Thank goodness for feminism" more.

The final chapters on engagements a
Hannah
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: girls
Greatly enjoyed this book. It is a little out-dated, but a lot of the concepts still apply to today's culture.
Carol Suelzle
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childhood-reads
As a well educated 14 year old, science loving teenager, who received this vintage book from their mother as the "you're becoming a woman now, and there's some important information you need to know" talk, I found it hysterically funny. She didn't actually speak to me about it, she just left it on my pillow. I can't decide if I should give it 1 star, for being so sexist, and filled with outright lies, or 5 stars, for the sheer history of knowing the crazy lies girls were taught about sex in earl ...more
Alexandra Alvarez
Heidi Terrell
Oct 20, 2018
Gwendolyn
May 30, 2014
Mary Augusta Wood-Allen was an American doctor, social reformer, lecturer, and writer of books on health and self-improvement for women and children. Through her lectures and writings she was a voice for the social purity movement. (wikipedia)
“Life will be safer for the girl who understands her own nature and reverences her womanhood, who realizes her responsibility towards the human race and conducts herself in accordance with that realization.” 0 likes
“It is not what you possess but what you are that determines what you are worth.” 0 likes