Start by marking “Seven Databases in Seven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases and the NoSQL Movement” as Want to Read:

Data is getting bigger and more complex by the day, and so are the choices in handling that data. As a modern application developer you need to understand the emerging field of data management, both RDBMS and NoSQL. Seven Databases in Seven Weeks takes you on a tour of some of the hottest open source databases today. In the tradition of Bruce A. Tate's Seven Languages in S ...more
Published May 18th 2012 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Databases in Seven Weeks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Databases in Seven Weeks

Start your review of Seven Databases in Seven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases and the NoSQL Movement
Kirill
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: engineering, dropbox
The book does what it says in the preface - it provides well-rounded understanding of the modern database landscape, written in a nice informal language, with loads of examples and exercises and "no day would be complete without a little bit of razzle-dazzle". You should expect to get a broad grasp of why there are so many NoSQL databases and which one could be good for your next project.

Do not expect however to become proficient or even competent in any of the listed databases. It would be an u
Arjen
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent. The NoSQL movement gets a lot of attention and if you want to get to work at the latest, hippest startup, you have to make sure your LinkedIn profile is spiced with NoSQL tags and lingo.

The problem with NoSQL is, is that it is not difficult at all; you just get the correct Python or Ruby driver, set up a NoSQL instance and you persist your data just like you did with Pickle or SQLAlchemy or Django or Rails: through an abstraction layer. But that doesn't mean you understa
Josh Davis
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-ebook
A great book to give a cursory look at a bunch of different databases. I definitely recommend it as a primer. I had no experience with NoSQL databases but now I at least understand them a lot more.
Regis Hattori
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: tool, computing
A good overview of some databases with different paradigms and good comparisons among them.

I didn't know Riak and it has some interesting concepts that worths to know.

I think that sometimes it shows much more details than necessary. For example, when it presents some Ruby code to import data.

Once there is an appendix about the CAP theorem to explain distributed databases, I think it should have also an appendix about map-reduce to explain aggregation of some databases.
Cecilia
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really useful introduction to seven popular database systems, from the familiar relational database by way of PostgreSQL through to key-value system, document-oriented database and graph database. The idea of the book is to set up seven databases through seven weekends to grasp the basic and benefits of each database systems. Admittedly I didn't do the tutorials and instead skimmed through the book in a weekend, but I found the material invaluable in getting my knowledge up to scratch, as I toy ...more
Chris Maguire
Aug 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I was a little naive in hoping that this would be written more from a developer point of view but in retrospect, data storage isn't really a code problem.

"7DBin7W" is a mix of how each database works, what it's good for and how to set up "big data" configurations of consistency, availability and partitioning. 7DBin7W is not about why you'd use different types of databases, but rather how these particular examples of different types of databases are interacted with.

I'm glad I read this book, sinc
Luboš
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have chosen this book because I enjoyed Seven Languages in Seven Weeks. May be I was not in proper mood. Too much time is spent on explanation of used languages. I should have picked out just one database and go deeper with some book dedicated to a single engine. ...more
Sergey Shishkin
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book broadened my view on data persistence very substantially. The particular choice of databases is not in fact important. What this book communicates effectively is how different data has different requirements on consistency, availability and durability.
Eric
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Thanks to everyone who made this book better over the months. This is a hard industry to wrangle, and this ranking goes out to the tech team and beta reviewers!
Jean-Luc
Nov 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book's philosophy is simple: no hand-holding whatsoever. Like Programming Collective Intelligence, this book was probably super hot fire when it was released, but it has not held up well. Unlike PCI, I would not recommend this to anyone.

Although the Riak chapter is out of date, there is some correspondence between what's in the book and what's available on the internet. Indeed, with judicious Googling, one can figure out how to muddle through that chapter. Not so w/ the Neo4j chapter. The i
Ritesh Chhajer
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Polyglot Persistence: Using several databases together to create an ecosystem that is more powerful than the sum of it’s parts.

HBase: Columnar database, follows CP, scale out architecture, uses write ahead logging (WAL) to provide protection against node failures, rack aware. Benefits: Built-in versioning, compression, garbage collection (for expired data) and in-memory tables. Drawbacks: a) No sorting/indexing capabilities other than the row keys. So if you want to find rows by something other
Derrick
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very good idea! The downside with all books is that they get outdated very quickly.
Some databases have newer versions out which makes the book obsolete and there are others dabases out there that are more relevant than those in this book.
Use this book as inspiration to learn of more databases and complement it with the very popular elasticsearch for example.
Choose a few databases you find interesting and that differ from each other to get a broad view of the alternatives.
Julio Biason
Apr 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: it, ibooks
Somewhat I expected more of this book.

I mean, ok, it takes one idea (a CRUD) and replicates in all of them, so you get a feeling on how that works on each.

But, at the same time, there is very little information about the internals of each database. Does that database store data in columnar format? What does that implies? What kind of data would make sense to store in each database (well, Neo4J is obvious, but still...)

And no time series database? Why no time series database?
Atif Shaikh
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tasty entree’s to 7 recipes

A book that tries to cover multiple database is a risky endeavor, a book that also provides hands on on each is even riskier but if implemented well leads to a great package. I loved the specific exercises the authors covered. A must read for all big data architects who don’t shy away from coding.
Fabian Gaußling
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. You get a good overview on the relevant database concepts of today and for each you find one or two databases. The authors are writing in a straight forward way and the tasks given are helpful to delve more into the topic. I can recomment this book to everybody who has a deep interest in getting to know current databases.
Ken Murphy
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Good overview of 7 databases but the examples of each were too short to teach you much but long enough to be a waste. I'd rather have a purely theoretical book or one that's more focused on a single technology.
Andrei Pavel
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The NoSQL buzzword is hereby demystified. A book for database amateurs. Great if you follow the practical examples.
Abdo Salah
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very good book but I think
- Cassandra should be included
Alex French
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Didn't actually work through any exercises.
Mostly read closely, skimmed in some areas.
I'm sure working through at least Day 1 in each section would be valuable. Still quite interesting.
Leonid
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice overview, if you want a quick look at different approaches and types of databases.
Вестимир
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: programming
Some nice ideas here, but in the context of 2017 this would be better suited for a series of blog posts, that the audience can discuss and share, instead of a whole book.

Really basic stuff to get you hooked.
Shai Sachs
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
This book does just what it sets out to do: give developers a whirlwind tour of several different databases and different styles of databases, thereby providing a pretty good tour of the NoSQL landscape. Given the way web technologies have been changing so quickly over the past several years, there's a real need for these sort of bird's-eye tours, and I'm glad that such a thing exists. That said, the chapter on HBase was a little sparse and I don't think I fully appreciated the subtlety of colum ...more
Matija
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: skimmed-through
I'm very impressed by the approach this book takes, the knowledgeability of the authors and finally the prowess with which they are able to transmit that knowledge to the reader. I'll admit I failed to perform all but a few exercises provided in each chapter, but I still feel I'm infinitely more able to consider using a NoSQL database in a project and knowing which parameters to consider when choosing the family and kind to deploy. TBH, any amount of ability is infinitely larger than zero which ...more
Augusto
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this books as, unfortunately, I haven't been exposed to NoSQL databases at work.

As a light touch introduction, this book definitely deserves 5 starts. It goes through some examples on 6 NoSQL databases (Riak, HBase, MongoDB, CouchDB, Neo4J and Redis) and PostgreSQL, and describes the strengths and flaws of each.

On the depth I feel like I would give this book 4 starts, but going though the details of each database is impossible in a 300-page book. This is in a way a good
Borys
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good quick read to get up to speed with databases. Good explanation of CAP, key-value vs document stores, etc. Should be an essential read for everyone who wants to apply new technology so that the project won't go beserk just because say Mongo was used where Cassandra would have been a perfect fit (but no one knew), something along these lines. One take away for me was Redis and of course, I was wondering before what so good about it. So, to summarize, good, modern, afterwards read other book ...more
A. John Alger
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's an interesting book. Very informative and helpful. While it doesn't have everything you will need to make the leap to a DBA position, it provides you with a solid overview of different kinds of DBs. The examples are fun to go through, but sometimes they could be made a little clearer. Also, an update to the book would be nice as well since some of these databases have changed since the books was written.
Pavel
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: professional
Good book, and covers what it intends. The databases are chosen and presented in a good order. The exercises are good, specific, and illustrative.

The only negative is the ideas that the book forced one to explore that are not database related: Ruby, JavaScript, SAX, Node.js, Event-Base programming, cURL, HTTP, etc. Although these are not difficult, but they do add to the complexity of the material.
Will
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
A good overview of the different databases on offer, and a good introduction to NoSQL. I did feel that there were some places where the database interface was presented even when it wasn't relevant -- most of the time you're going to be working with a driver into the language -- but overall it helps for discussing the difference between Cassandra, MongoDB and Redis without making your brain break.
Mike Benner
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Seven Databases in Seven Weeks is a great book for giving you an overview of the latest databases in the different segments out there. It is definitely an entry level chapter on each system that will let you know whether or not to pursue it further with more in depth material.

Anyone curious about what is available besides the de facto SQL standard offerings should give this book a read.
Alex Ott
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: big-data
Good overview of different databases (and approaches for different types of databases). Provided information is enough to understand, could be particular database useful for your projects or not, and based on these decision you can continue to learn about selected databases in more details.
P.S. I used some of these databases already, but was very interested in reading about Neo4J.

• The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • Seven Concurrency Models in Seven Weeks: When Threads Unravel
  • Getting Real: The Smarter, Faster, Easier Way to Build a Web Application
  • Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
  • The C Programming Language
  • The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It
  • The Culture Map: Breaking Through the Invisible Boundaries of Global Business
  • Seven More Languages in Seven Weeks
  • Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
  • The Food of China
  • Explore It!: Reduce Risk and Increase Confidence with Exploratory Testing
  • Elements of Clojure
  • Impro

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

News & Interviews

“Stored procedures can offer huge performance advantages for huge architectural costs. You may avoid streaming thousands of rows to a client application, but you have also bound your application code to this database. The decision to use stored procedures should not be arrived at lightly.” 0 likes