Start by marking “Fault Line” as Want to Read:
Fault Line

Fault Line

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,059 Ratings  ·  149 Reviews
The new race-against-the-clock thriller from the master of the triple cross.

Not all scars are visible. Jonathan Kellaway needs no reminding of that on the verge of his retirement from china clay conglomerate Intercontinental Kaolins. The company has left its mark in pits and spoil heaps around the world. But it has also left a no less enduring mark on some of those who ha
Published March 29th 2012 by Bantam Press (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fault Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fault Line

Stephen Hayes
A good story well told.

I suppose one could say much the same about most of Robert Goddard's books. He has written more than twenty novels in the same genre, and with very few exceptions each one is as good as the last. And the exceptions are generally those where Goddard breaks from the formula, which he seems to have perfected - a mystery in the past which affects characters in the present.

The story is about a family firm, Walter Wren & Co., that mines china clay in St Austell, Cornwall. I
Loretta
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
As always, Robert Goddard gives us a beautifully written and intriguing tale. Fault Line begins in Cornwall, a favourite setting, amongst the china clay pits. |Jonathan Kellaway is on the verge of retiring form a huge international China Clay company when he is obliged to search for missing documents that appear stolen from the old records but that prove a vital link to many family secrets of the firm's founders. RG is one of those story tellers whose work grips one from start to finish - such a ...more
Richard Gardner
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent mystery by Robert Goddard with plenty of twists and turns.
Pat
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is one of Robert Goddards better books. He is such a good story teller but sometimes you feel that the tale has got too tortuous for it's own good. This one had just the right amount of mystery and action to keep you totally hooked right to the end. I really liked it.
Philip Turner
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Goddard is a true master of plotting, character, suspense, and surprise by whom I’ve enjoyed nearly 20 other books, after first discovering him in a 2008 Paste magazine feature with Stephen King, who made an unqualified endorsement of Goddard’s books. Fault Line is one of Goddard's best books.

Goddard’s books are usually set in rural Britain with plots that also take his characters to such Mediterranean locales as Capri and Rhodes. Like Ross MacDonald’s Lew Archer novels, such as The Zebra Strip
Ed
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dramatic novel fans.
I have no idea why I obtained this book in the first place, having never read any of Goddard's books, even though he is a prolific author. Perhaps it's because his books are not widely available in the U.S. Nevertheless, I was glad I got my hands on this one. It is a well written, suspenseful, novel that caught me up to the point that I finished it in 3 days.

The story-line jumps between the late 1960s, 1984, and 2010 as the protagonist, Jonathan Kellaway narrates the history of his relationship
Under Milkwood
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Goddard is back on target. A straight mystery thriller without the history lessons that have tended to bog down too many of his books.This one reads like a fast-paced movie and not once did I pick it up and think "O.M.G. I've gotta try to get back into this!"
Elizabeth Elwood
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this book a thoroughly engrossing read. I took it with me when I was out of town for five days, thinking, given its 500-page length, that it would last me for the entire trip; however, it engaged me so much that I finished it in two days. The story begins when the president of a company that has a monopoly in the china clay industry calls on an employee who is nearing retirement to investigate a series of missing files. The employee is Jonathan Kellaway, who has a long history with the p ...more
Susan Leonard
Apr 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very satisfying mystery thriller. I enjoy Goddard's writing and would rate this as one of his best.

The central character, Jonathan Kellaway, is on the brink of retirement after a long career with a multi-national company. His final task is to locate some missing documents to assist a historian writing the company history. And so begins the story, which weaves between 1968 and 2010 and is set mainly in St Austell & Capri - knowledge of these areas might enhance your enjoyment.

I find that Go
Helen
Dec 19, 2012 rated it liked it
With the completion of this book, I have now read every Robert Goddard novel and apart from the odd disappointing exception, they have all been reliable page turners. Many I've read are solid 4 stars, most of the rest 3.5s and so I would definitely recommend him to those who enjoy thrillers - my favourites have been those with a historical slant. He is definitely the master of the twist and turn. I need him to write another one soon!

'Faultline' features the typical Goddard hero ie. an ordinary m
  • Next of Kin (Scott Finn #4)
  • This Perfect World
  • Everything and Nothing
  • The Cornish Coast Murder
  • A Cold Season
  • The Guilty One
  • Meltwater (Fire & Ice, #3)
In a writing career spanning more than twenty years, Robert Goddard's novels have been described in many different ways - mystery, thriller, crime, even historical romance. He is the master of the plot twist, a compelling and engrossing storyteller and one of the best known advocates for the traditional virtues of pace, plot and narrative drive.
More about Robert Goddard...