Start by marking “Spartacus: Swords and Ashes (Spartacus #1)” as Want to Read:
Spartacus: Swords and Ashes (Spartacus #1)

Spartacus: Swords and Ashes (Spartacus #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  140 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Betrayed by the Romans. Forced into slavery. Reborn as a Gladiator.

The classic tale of the Republic's most infamous rebel comes alive in the graphic and visceral Starz tv show, Spartacus. Torn from his homeland and the woman he loves, Spartacus is condemned to the brutal world of the arena where blood and death are primetime entertainment. But not all battles are fought u
Published January 3rd 2012 by Titan Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Spartacus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spartacus

Tracy (Cornerfolds)
Aug 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This review is also available on Cornerfolds!

So I am a HUGE Spartacus fan. I'm rewatching it now for the third time and, let me tell you, I'm still pretty devastated that it's over. When I found out there were a couple novels that went along with the series, I was thrilled! The first one, Swords and Ashes, is set between episodes 1x07 and 1x08, and really went out of its way to explain a few things.

The book begins with Batiatus, Lucretia, Ilithyia, Spartacus, Varro, and Barca heading to the home
John Keegan
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it

When I happened upon this first novel related to the "Spartacus" series running on Starz, I was taken aback. How exactly was a series known for its stylized visuals and narrative excess going to translate into a novel? It would be all too easy to tell a conventional, watered-down tale in the "Spartacus" universe, especially if the final product was meant to appeal to a more general audience. Yet, I was intrigued, and decided to give it a go.

I was pleasantly surprised. Not only is the dark and gr
E. Chainey (Bookowski)
Detaylı İnceleme İçin: http://bookowski101.blogspot.com/2014...

Evet, biliyoruz ki bazı efsaneler kanla yazılır...

M.Ö. 71 yılda Roma'dayız. Batiatus Hane'sinin en güçlü gladyatörü, Capua Şampiyonu Spartaküs ve diğer gladyatörler, köleleri tarafından vahşice öldürülen Pelorus Hane'sinin sahibi Pelorus'u onurlandırmak için yapılan arena gösterilerine giderler. Pek tabii ki Marcus Gaius Glaber'in eşi Ilithya da, Batiatus'un eşi Lucretia da bu macera da yerini alacaktır. Ama asıl oyun Pelorus öldükte
Erica
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Hopefully this will be as good as the TV show
Clou
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wer auch nur die geringste historische Korrektheit sucht, ist hier noch mehr fehl am Platz, als bei der Serie, auf der der Roman basiert. Kenner der Blood and Sand-Reihe werden allerdings wohl nichts anderes erwarten, genau so wenig, wie ich es getan habe. Außerdem dürfe es ziemlich schwer sein, eine kleine Nebengeschichte, die zu der Zeit spielt, als Spartacus noch Gladiator des Ludus Batiatus war, und die nicht in der Serie gedeckt wurde, auf historischen Ereignissen basieren zu lassen.
Grundsä
Brian
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I had mixed expectations going into this one as it is based on the series on Starz and takes place in the middle of Season One. I enjoy the series, but it is somewhat over-the-top, so how was that going to translate to the written word? Actually, that wasn't a problem and the stilted language actually helped me to visualize the characters as I could picture the actors saying their lines and at times it had me chuckling; I mean who doesn't enjoy using the occasional expletive, "Jupiter's Cock!"

Th
Vincent Darlage
This wasn't too bad. I wouldn't have named the antagonist Verres when one of the protagonists is named Varro, but that may just be me. A bit slow at the start, but it had a decent end, but on the whole in keeping with the series. And that may well be the problem with the book - because it takes place in the midst of the series (after Spartacus summoned the rain but just before Sura arrives), nothing can happen that changes the situation for any of the characters - they cannot leave the story any ...more
Meikstr
What an epic ride into a tale of Spartacus and the many eccentric characters we have come to know on Spartacus:Blood and Sand. This book is centred on the acquisition of the home of a dead lanista by Batiatus, Sparatacus' quest to get reacquainted with his wife Sura as wekl the politics among the many officers of Rome as well as their counterparts. I must say this book is full of intruige, bloodshed and insurmountable humor. I enjoyed it thoroughly from start to finish and love how it took on th ...more
travis williams
And he rises once more Spartacus

I gave Spartacus swords and ashes five stars because I like how detailed it touched on being a slave to be put in bondage and forced to obey or die it's really powerful I love Spartacus tale of trail and tribulations how I can't see how his destiny will shape him into the man who will free the slaves from bondage I also love the way they talk in the time period of Rome and I dislike nothing about this book other than the gay sex between the dudes are more so rape
Scott Williams
Jan 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I wasn't expecting much from this but Clements has actually done a really good job of translating a very visual show into a novel. He is limited because this book takes place during season one but he manages to craft an interesting story that does add something to the saga. I also appreciated Clements' attention to detail with respect to Latin.
Liz  Gardner
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Over all, I found the book interesting. As a fan of the show I was glad that I found the book enjoyable. There were scenes in the book that I far liked more than others, however, unlike some books I have read, this was one that I did not read in one sitting as I have done with other books. I'd recommended it to a fan of the show.
Elmediina
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Es hat mir gut gefallen aber ich habe einbischen mehr erwartet, aber trotzdem gut :) Man sollte sich erst die 1 Staffel anschauen bevor man das Buch liest, weil das Buch spielt zwischen Episoden. Bin mir aber nicht sicher ob es zwischen 5 und 6 oder 6 und 7 spielt. :) ♥♥♥♥♥♥ Spartacus!! *.*
Mark Stone
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Uninspired writing and plot, fairly weak characterization, and tie-ins to the TV series that were all too convenient and predictable. The only reasons I give this three stars are the descriptions and gladiatorial action.
Ilse
Nov 20, 2015 rated it liked it
ok. but mostly because I loved the series on tv. I don't think I would have picked up this book if it wasn't for the series it is based on.
Michael
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An original story that had the voice of all the characters of the television series with some added new ones. I always love reading the Latin words and getting a description of them.
Maja
I give 3,5 stars ;)

João Lamas
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Minne
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
omgs it's really good ;p all the suspends and lots more????
Ali Devine
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Perfect, if you love the series, you'll love this well written book
Dan
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
A brilliantly placed utterance of the memorable phrase 'JUPITER'S COCK!' (in all-caps, of course) near the end of the book quite literally made me laugh out loud.
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very good. I liked the part where Lucretia was checking on Crixus while the medicus was taking a break.
Tanja
Jul 11, 2016
Jefferson Sison
Jul 24, 2013
Ray Claudio
rated it did not like it
Dec 31, 2013
Danigerous
Apr 14, 2015
Eric Demont
Jul 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Spartacus: Morituri (Spartacus #2)
  • Spartacus: Rebellion (Spartacus, #2)
  • The Spartacus War
  • Spartacus
  • The Gladiators
  • This Is Me
  • اسپارتاکوس
  • Royalty's Strangest Characters: Extraordinary But True Tales from 2,000 Years of Mad Monarchs and Raving Rulers (Strangest series)
  • 21st Century Dead
  • No Will But His: A Novel of Kathryn Howard
  • Caligula (Rufus, #1)
  • Monty Python Live!
  • House of Phineas (Gladiators, #2)
  • The Cylons' Secret
  • Into the Water
  • A Rock and a Hard Place: One Boy's Triumphant Story
  • The Sultan's Daughter
  • Marie Antoinette

Spartacus (2 books)
  • Spartacus: Morituri (Spartacus #2)