Start by marking “The Benson (Experiment in Terror, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Benson (Experiment in Terror, #2.5)

The Benson (Experiment in Terror #2.5)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  3,650 Ratings  ·  309 Reviews
An Experiment in Terror Novella (#2.5).

This short story/novella sees amateur Youtube ghost-hunters, Perry Palomino and Dex Foray, investigating the real-life hauntings of Portland's infamous Benson Hotel. It occurs between books #2 (Red Fox) and #3 (Dead Sky Morning) and is the perfect primer for anyone interested in the EIT series.
Published December 7th 2011 by Metal Blonde Books (first published February 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Benson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Benson

Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
4 it-was-too-short-to-earn-5-but-still-amazing Stars

description

The Experiment in Terror finally earned some recognition. Advertisers are seeking Dex and Perry out and they have gained a fan base. Despite the misfortunes of the past, they learned and the grew into their partnership. Into something solid, extraordinairy and unique..

"But I can't help they way I feel. Stupid. And in love with my partner."
description

This short and delicious novella, in only 44 pages, manages to excite us, make us laugh, entice us to kee
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Dex and Perry checking into some hauntings at a hotel in Portland called The Benson. It was a perfect short story and exactly what I needed after the abrupt ending of Red Fox.

The whole spooky story with Parker and then May was bittersweet and coming up with the checkbook....really? A bit unbelievable but I still really enjoyed it.
Jen
Well, that was a very quick read; but totally worth it! I have said it before, and I'll say it again...I LOVE this series and Karina Halle is brilliant! I got the chills and chuckles all in the same story! Absolutely awesome, and entertaining from beginning to the end!
I was all set to start on book #3, when I realized that there was a novella, and that it was considered book #2.5. I was going to just skip over it; but I am so glad that I didn't. I would have truly missed out on an extremely ente
Kristalia
Final rating: 3/5 stars

#Let's go and poke it with a stick.
- quote by Doctor Who 11th -

Buddy read with Vilda!!!

I love EIT, i really do - but this was just too short for me. It could have been awesome if it had been a little longer or if it was just normal book size... Overall, it's still interesting, spooky and cool and Perry and Dex return to kick supernatural asses!

The humor is back - Perry makes sure of it in every page of it and Dex is still awesome. What i love in this series is that
* Meli Mel *
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it

***3.5 Scary Stars***

Perry and Dex decide to investigate The Benson Hotel, located in Portland, Oregon. There have been many reports of paranormal activity. People have said to have seen full body apparitions, as well as to have heard odd sounds. But the one ghost that the night manager tells them about is, the suicidal Mr. Parker. He seems to be the ghost that is the most willing to make contact. But he can also be the most scary. He always seems to pacing and wanting to tell you something.

This
Duchess Nicole
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet...a little blip into an assignment that goes right for a change. Perry is still Perry, Dex is still confusingly awesome!!!

The setup is a swanky, old hotel that is frequently haunted by the ghost of a man who died there in the early twentieth century. It doesn't take long for Perry to feel the cold chill of supernatural. Once again, Dex pushes her into doing something that made me want to cover my eyes and hide. I'm WAY too chicken to get myself into these situations!! But I gues
Karina Halle
Dec 07, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
It's short, sweet and simple. You don't get the in-depth character arcs and the often volatile tension between Perry and Dex that consumes the other full-length novels in the series, instead The Benson provides a tiny glimpse of what a particularly "non-lethal" episode of Experiment in Terror looks like. In other words, this is just another show for our vexing, ghost hunting duo.

But just because it shows a lighter side of the team, it doesn't mean it lacks the thrills and chills to keep you on y
Fathima
So okay , I know I should have read it when I had finished reading 'The Red Fox' book 2 in the Experiment in Terror series , but I guess I was excited to find out stuffs that I just jumped onto book 3 'Dead Sky Morning' - Pardon me !!
The Benson is such a short and sweet read that i finished it within no time . A little more into the spooky stuff and a little into Perry and Dex's unusual relationship . This was just amazing .
A thing that i really forgot to mention in my other reviews is that ,
Meags
3 Stars

Short and satisfyingly spooky.

The more I read about Perry, the more I like her. She's relatable - obviously not the whole "ghost bait" thing (that's some creepy shit and she can keep that talent to herself!) - but her honesty, her insecurities and her snarky humour are all things I completely identify with.

I even find myself liking Dex, against my better judgement, because let's be honest, he's an arrogant and moody bastard most of the time. Not to mention the fact he keeps dragging Per
Catarina
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
So, in this short story Perry and Dex search evidences of haunting on the Benson Hotel in Portland. Things are weird for Perry since she figured out that she is, in fact, in love with Dex, but he's with his perfect girlfriend Jen (I hate her!).
This was a great story, (not exactly scary, just slightly creepy) and it was a shame it had been so short.
I can't get enough of this two!! (Really, I can't.)
To the next one, now! ;)

Tara♥

Perry and Dex take a trip to a fancy hotel and Perry manages to almost get herself killed. Again.

It's 100% Dex's fault.

An air vent? Really?

You know in the movies when you shout at the heroine note to do that stupid thing? Well prepare.

Amy (Foxy)
A novella about The Benson hotel in Portland has these two making another webisode. A bit of Portland and the hotel's history adds to this intriguing tale of ghost roaming the premises.

description

Perry and Dex meet up for a one night of adventure in The Benson. Perry is the designated ghost bait in this partnership. And Dex is the absent cameraman when danger engulfs Perry. "Wow, I leave you for one minute and suddenly you're CSI: Portland."

Pam is the eager night shift hotel manager and their guide for th
Erica Ravenclaw
Apr 10, 2014 rated it liked it

☆ ☆ ☆

No spoilers and colorful language abound!

Merp.

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-15308-1375725534-17_zpsb8953eec.gif

Me:
 photo cool-story-bro1_zps8753b0cf.gif

AJ
This is a short, but important addition to the overarching storyline of the Experiment in Terror series. It picks up a few weeks after Dex and Perry's adventure in Red Fox as they investigate the haunting of a local hotel, The Benson.

The story has a bit of spook and there is the usual chemistry-filled interactions between Dex and Perry, but that’s in the background as they actually get an incident which is going to give their show some more credibility.

There’s also a focus on Perry growing in c
Kim Bailey
I LOVE this series & everything Dex & Perry.

Because of moments like this:
“You never know. There’s supposed to be a shitload of ghosts in this hotel, maybe you can help one of them.” I raise my brows at him. “A shitload?” I repeat. “Where do you get your information, Mr. Foray?” “Wikipedia. That thing is never wrong,” he says without irony.

And all the scary crap that has my stomach turning inside out!
Rose
This review is spoiler-free for the previous books, Darkhouse and Red Fox, as well as for The Benson.
But I also know that even though someone is dead, it doesn't mean they're beyond help. And for every ten ghosts that try and kill me, if I end up saving one of them, it might be worth it after all.

Though you may want to remind me of that, next time I'm locked in a coffin or something.
(That's Perry Logic for you. The "life" of someone who's already dead being more important than hers. Even if t
Brittni
4.5 Stars!!!!

I loved it!!!! I'm seriously obsessed with these books.... On to the next book!!!
Crystal Starr Light
Perry and Dex head to Portland's The Benson Hotel for their Internet show, Experiment in Terror, for more ghost hunting! But they may be in store for something they hadn't expected.

I don't own a Kindle. If I read any ebooks, it's on my iPhone. I bring this up to explain why I don't buy ebooks - given how small the screen is, I don't think it's worth the money.

That said, I was greatly encouraged to read the novellas in this series. And thus, this was the very first ebook I spent money on.

To put i
☆ Sammy ☆彡
The Benson is a 5 star addition to the Experiment in Terror series. This novella was a pretty quick read about Dex and Perry exploring The Benson, a haunted hotel in Portland, OR. Though this book was relatively short, it still contained a lot of banter between Dex and Perry as well as it involved a pivotal case in their ghost hunting career (IMO).

Memorable quotes:

"I deal with you every weekend, don't I? Anything after that is a piece of cake." Perry to Dex.

***

"And for every ten ghosts that try
La-Lionne
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny, own, creepy, ghosts
Short, funny, a little sexy and even a bit creepy :). Moving onto the next book.
Spoiler Whore of Pettysburg
Jul 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: karina-halle, 2016

*Read thru Kindle Unlimited*
Jenne
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reread Review ~ read March 10/2015
Still 4.25
Needed a quick book for the night and thought I'd hang with Dex and Perry again :)
Such a unique pair these 2 are! I'd forgotten what a shameless flirt Dex is. Since I devoured this entire series last October I've wanted to reread it. It's not often I'm in love enough to reread especially wanting to do a redo on the entire series. But that's just how phenomenal these are. Again hands down the best books I've read and Karina Halle is brilliant :)

Original
Holly
Another fan-freaking-tastic Perry & Dex adventure!

This time out, the duo are investigating a haunted hotel, and even though this is only a short novella, Karina Halle manages to convey some truly creepy moments. It goes without saying, but I really would have loved to have seen a full blown book centered around The Benson, since I have a feeling Halle would have been able to come up with many more damn frightening scenarios for our favorite pair of ghost hunters at that location.

I feel like
*.Amaia.* BlackMagicRose
Love. LOVE. L.O.V.E. these two *.*
Perfect short story, creepy, sweet and hilarious. Only Karina can manage that :)

creepy
Theresa
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 spooky stars...this is such a fun series and this novella was a great addition...the story finds Perry and Dex in the Benson Hotel which is, of course, said to be haunted...they stumble and bumble through the clues and embark on a haunting journey to discover the facts about the true nature of one man's untimely death...in true Perry and Dex fashion this adventure is laced with sarcasm and wit as well as some precarious situations that (mostly Perry) they have to endure which are both terrif ...more
Annie Brewer
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scary-as-fuck
Loved this novella. It was haunting but pretty great! I just loved being in the presence of Dex and Perry again. These two are seriously the ultimate best duo ever!!!! They take the top. Oh yeah, Dex and Perry are at the top. They are fearless, brave, funny, kind, witty, sexy and everything in between!!!!!
This was a short book that takes place in the Benson hotel in Oregon. Dex and Perry are at it again with their ghost hunting adventure. I swear, I wouldn't be as brave as Perry. She's crazy bu
Karen
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Benson
[image error]  photo Benson-hotel-269And8more_tonemapped.jpg

This is just a short novella in the Experiment in Terror Series. Dex and Perry find themselves exploring the said to be haunted Benson Hotel in Portland, Oregon, for their EIT web show. This story is short but well-done, and very very creepy. Perry finds herself locked in a basement laundry in the dark with a couple of ghosts. Frightening images bombard her, but she braves through and manages to do a bit of ghost-busting at the same time.

This story is meant to be read be
Jamie *Gypsy Smut-a-teer*
So, I'm not really going to drag this out and write a long review. The book was 44 pages that flew by way too fast and made me long for more and that's the only reason I'm only giving it 4 stars. However, it's Dex and Perry and I love them and always want so much more of them so of course it was good, just not long enough. LOL!! I will say, my friends and I went and stayed in a haunted hotel two summers ago and had the time of our lives so I kept going back to that in my head. We didn't have any ...more
Mariana
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 stars

This was such a tiny story that I can't really give it 5 stars. I really enjoyed it anyway.

Perry and Dex are in Portland visiting the local haunted hotel: The Benson. Inside, they (Perry) unravel the mystery of ghost Parker, who had supposedly commited suicide in the premises when faced with financial difficulties.

But time is of the essence! "Dead Sky Morning" must be read!

photo giveittomenow_zpsfdc05e09.gif
Lucia
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Perry and Dex are ghost hunters and these series are hunting ME. Recently, I have been constantly thinking about characters and about what is happenning with them in these books. I like how "relationship" between Perry and Dex is progressing and I love them both more and more with every single word I read about them.

I am not going to write long review. I am just going to say that I love Karina Halle's style of writing and I immediately need more of Dex and Perry so I am on to next book.

And a li
Buddy Read Zone: The Benson (Experiment in Terror 2.5) 11 7 Jun 18, 2013 06:23PM
Karina Halle Addi...: The Benson (Experiment in Terror #2.5) 5 10 May 16, 2013 05:38PM
"And with madness...: * The Benson~ EIT #2.5 4 15 Sep 06, 2012 05:38PM
"And with madness...: * The Benson~ EIT #2.5 2 14 Sep 06, 2012 10:31AM
"And with madness...: * Quoted from The Benson 2 16 Aug 15, 2012 03:31PM
  • Close to You (Downside Ghosts, #5.5)
  • Hellhound: Dogs of War (Hellhound, #2)
  • Horrorscape (Horrorscape, #2)
  • Wedding Hells (Parker Sisters #0.5)
  • Fast Forward
  • Dark Soul Vol. 5 (Dark Soul, #5)
  • Killer Queen (Painted Faces, #2)
  • Dead Surround (Julia Poe Vampire Chronicles, #2)
  • Stories for Amanda
  • My Soul to Take (The Holy Trinity, #2)
  • Jekyll (Hyde, #2)
  • The Ripple Effect (Rhiannon's Law, #3)
  • Devil's Luck (The Disillusionists, #3.5)
  • The Debt & The Doormat
Karina Halle is a former travel writer and music journalist and The New York Times, Wall Street Journal and USA Today Bestselling author of Where Sea Meets Sky, Racing the Sun, The Pact, Love, in English, The Artists Trilogy, Dirty Angels and over 20 other wild and romantic reads. She lives on an island off the coast of British Columbia with her husband and her rescue pup, where she drinks a lot o ...more
More about Karina Halle...

Experiment in Terror (9 books)
  • Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror, #1)
  • Red Fox (Experiment in Terror, #2)
  • Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror, #3)
  • Lying Season (Experiment in Terror, #4)
  • On Demon Wings (Experiment in Terror, #5)
  • Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6)
  • Come Alive (Experiment in Terror, #7)
  • Ashes to Ashes (Experiment in Terror, #8)
  • Dust to Dust (Experiment in Terror #9)

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Royal Affair (Royals in Exile, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Rose Garden
    $16.99 $2.99
  • Frozen
  • She Has Your Eyes
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed by His Charm (Dirty Little Secrets, #4)
“But I can’t help the way I feel. Stupid. And in love with my partner.” 3 likes
“Nothing like a hot woman to make two chubby girls feel like they're having a bonding moment.” 1 likes