Start by marking “Cross (Alex Cross, #12)” as Want to Read:
Cross (Alex Cross, #12)

Cross

(Alex Cross #12)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  57,819 ratings  ·  2,004 reviews
Alex Cross was a rising star in the Washington, DC, Police Department when an unknown shooter gunned down his wife, Maria, in front of him. The killer was never found, and the case turned cold, filed among the unsolved drive-bys in D.C.'s rough neighborhoods.

Published November 13th 2006 by Little Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Cross, please sign up.
Helga Julie, I just finished the book "Cross" & kept back-paging because nowhere did it mention how Ali arrived as a family member. Thanks to seeing Min's p…moreJulie, I just finished the book "Cross" & kept back-paging because nowhere did it mention how Ali arrived as a family member. Thanks to seeing Min's post (in response to yours) I was able to find more info. Crazy....Ali's mom reappears in different books and I'm a newbie to the Cross series itself. Passing this along for info: http://alexcross.wikia.com/wiki/Chris...(less)

·  57,819 ratings  ·  2,004 reviews

Start your review of Cross (Alex Cross, #12)
Phrynne
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I may have made a mistake with these books. Usually I am quite anal about series and I start at number one and move through in order. For some reason I did not do this with Alex Cross and I am now starting to regret it! Sure, each story works on its own but, read at random, sometimes Alex is married, sometimes he is not, then he has two children, then he has three, then he has two again. People get recalled from previous books and I don't know who they are!
This problem seriously affected this pa
Suzanne
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the Alex Cross book I have been waiting to read; where he finds out who killed his wife years ago. It did not disappoint! Alex is now working as a full-time psychologist in private practice but is right back into the investigation world when things warm up his wife’s cold case. This one was very fast-paced and as a reader that is now a dozen books in on the series, I felt invested into Alex finding out who killed his wife. I think that is the best part of series: you get addicted and inv ...more
Rob

Book 12 in the Alex Cross series published 2006.

Unfortunately, for me, this was just more of the same. Completely out of control psychopath, this one was a bit different inasmuch as he is also a serial rapist.

As a result of a stern talking-to from Nanna/Mamma Alex decides to quite the FBI and go into private practise as a psychologist along with his diplomas and degrees.

Although it’s been a number of years since Alex’s wife was brutally murdered, right in front of him, Alex has been dogged wi
Christopher Jones
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was ok
Being a big Patterson fan and following the character of Alex Cross through all of the his books I am sad to say that I am really beginning to get tired of him. It really pains me to say that because I have come to really like all of the characters that have been created within the Cross series but it just feels like there is very little life left in Alex Cross. The stories are beginning to sound the same and the endings are becoming very predictable. To be honest I only finished this book out o ...more
TK421
James Patterson owes Hollywood a debt of gratitude. If it wasn't for the movie version of this book, I would not be writing this review. In fact, if it wasn't for this movie, I would not have read the past three Cross novels, ever. I am not a fan of James Patterson. His writing is beyond abominable. (This will come as no surprise to those of you that have read my previous reviews of Patterson's Cross series.) But Patterson does have one redeeming quality: he has a storyteller's heart. The action ...more
Amanda Fashbaugh
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Hard Core Patterson Fans ~ not fairweather ones.
I used to love James Patterson books. (I loved Alex Cross' badass persona complemented by his squishy in the center role as a family man.) But lately I've chosen to stay away from Patterson's books. The bloom is off the rose, so to speak. I honestly believe that the sheer volume of his work has caused the stories to be diluted somewhat. I read Big Bad Wolf in September, and was incredibly disappointed. However, because I have been with this character of Alex Cross for over a decade now, and I wa ...more
Baba
The top Mafia contract killer The Sligo Butcher, Michael Sullivan is going renegade. Cross also has other things going om, a serial rapist and an new look at the murder of his wife, many years ago. Meanwhile Alex, is coming to believe that it is time he put his family first and left the FBI. The international best selling franchise continues, but more on hype than content in my opinion. 5 out of 12.
Carol
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Second Read - I just re-read this book, and found the things that I didn't quite get the first time. I really enjoyed it very much. I thought it was one of the better Crosses, and if you like that kind of reading you probably enjoy. Cross's and Sampson's friendship is one of my favorite parts. It's been so good that I really enjoyed it. Highly recommend.

Part of the plot of this book has to do with Alex Cross' wife Maria had been murdered about 10 years before. He still grieves her loss. He's bur
Gareth Otton
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
After finishing the last book I thought (and repeated that thought in my review of Mary Mary) that James Patterson was in need of shaking up the formula for Alex Cross. There had been a few too many similarities sneaking into his novels and it was starting to get in the way of the story.

I am happy to report that the author must have thought the same thing after writing Mary Mary as this one begins to mix it up a bit. Obviously there is still a murderer to be caught but for the first time Alex C
Judy
Feb 08, 2008 rated it liked it
I like James Patterson's style and his method of story telling. The action moves along quickly and the characters, while not all that memorable, are suitably likable or villainous. It's a real page turner, as forensic psychologist Alex Cross tracks down the sadistic mafia killer known as The Butcher, the man who killed Cross's wife ten years earlier.

However,there's one thing about this book that drove me batty. Patterson has a series of Alex Cross books (most notably "Along Came A Spider", made
Charlotte Smith
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: james-patterson
An Alex cross book which he finds out who killed his wife back in 1993 must admit wasn't who I thought it was.
Jonathan Nkangabwa
Nov 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
James Patterson's novel, "Cross" was a great book overall. The fact that James was able to incorporate important information on all of the characters in a quick manor. You didn't seem to remember every character's story, but you were given just enough information to understand what ideas each character stands for. The fact that this book was an action packed thriller kept me even more interested into the book. I cannot stand it when authors ramble on about pointless details that do not serve a p ...more
Michelle (meshe)
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-book
I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. The Cross books are certainly better than some of the others Patterson keeps churning out with his co-authors. That being said, they aren't as good as they used to be. I think I've come to the conclusion that all good series must come to an end and this one is another that is ready.
After many years, Alex and his friend Sampson are on the trail of the person Alex thinks killed his wife Maria, 'The Butcher of Sligo'. Alex quits the FBI and goes off on
Tgordon
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
So not one of my favorites but still I love Alex and his family!
Enrique Alvarez
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was an excellent adventure. When I'm reading I feel like I'm part of the story, my heart raises with the action, it pangs for the loss of a loved one. It was really exciting to read.
Sharon
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2015
I keep saying that I've read my last Patterson, it annoys me that his chapters are 2 pages long, it annoys me that the villains are more evil than is possible, it annoys me ..... but then I read another one because the thing I like about his books is Alex Cross, specifically, his ethics, his children, his friends, his grandmother, I want them to exist, I want someone that good to continue winning,

When the story opens, Alex and Maria are discussing a case she's working on as a social worker. She
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
I have at some time or another, read most of the Alex Cross series.

This one simply does not measure up to other earlier books in the series which I enjoyed immensely.

It begins with a flashback to Alex's wife's murder, and really deteriorates from there. It wasn't bad enough to make me abandon it, but the thought did cross my mind once or twice.

Not recommended.
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Read April 2013

Doing a re-read for a challenge.

I really enjoy the Alex Cross series but I really need to start from the begin, hehe.
Heather Kidder
May 01, 2011 rated it did not like it
I picked this up at a yard sale. I had never read one of his books so I thought for a quarter why not, I'll try it out, I like crime books. The ideas are good, the characters are relatable but the writing is terrible. Instead of creating suspense he tells you 'I'm in suspense', he goes off on tangents to create the vision of what he wants you to see but again instead of actually making the story create the situation he just tells you "He looks like an athlete, but maybe like one who hasn't playe ...more
Alaina
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I didn't see any of this coming at all.

Cross was so much better than Mary, Mary. Thank god!

In this book, Alex is trying to solve a murder. His wife's murder. AND IT WAS SO GOOD. I couldn't put it down. This was definitely a step up from the previous book and I can't wait for the next book! I don't really know how else to explain how much I loved this book. I have no words - but I'm also super tired and it's almost midnight ish here.

I don't want to give any spoilers - other than the whole it's
Jayme(the ghost reader)
In this book, Alex Cross is reminising about his wife and finding her killer. In the meantime, he is on the hunt for the newest foe, the Butcher. This foe likes to cut up his victims and take pictures of them for his scrapbook. Alex suspects this man killed his wife. It comes down to a showdown of who is going to come out ahead especially when the Mafia is involved. I really enjoy this series and going to continue to read the series.
❆ Crystal ❆
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars. Great story. I'm happy (just like last book) that the story line was a bit different and not as predictable as some of the others in the series. A lot happened in this book and I look forward to reading more.
Brittany
This was one of the faster Cross books that I read, but it was also somewhat disappointing. After 11 previous books of buildup about Maria's killer, this was the result. I know the ending leaves us with more, but it seemed like a "meh" way to end that chapter of his life.

Probable exit of ANOTHER love interest? As will all Cross books: Nana can't die EVER. Do you hear my Patterson? Don't you dare kill Nana!

That is all.

3-3.5 stars for me. Still a great book to read for fans of Cross, and I will
Vanessa Jones
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Though this type of fiction has always been one of my favorites, I had not read a mystery/crime/detective story in awhile. Picked this up last year. From page one: Did not care for how the author brought me into the story. After reading a few more pages I was able to get into it. Overall it felt forced and simplified.

The characters were interesting but I felt like I was watching a movie on TV because there was nothing better on the other stations.

It did have some great moments when I actually f
Laura Ruetz
Jan 14, 2014 rated it liked it
A complaint that I often have of James Patterson's books is that his most recent books lack character development; it is as if James Patterson expects the reader to already know the characters from prior books and the result is the books are flat and lifeless. The first half of this book read like his older books, full of the little details that make the characters come to life, that show who they are and helps you identify with them. I was thrilled to be reading this because of that and I was d ...more
Angela
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sadly, no better the second time around, but an o.k. read even though it is a bit predictable. I am gradually working my way through the series, in order this time.
Amy Ingalls
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
About what you expect from James Patterson. Quick and it kept my interest. A few parts annoyed me though. One, what the heck kind of therapist breaks his clients trust and goes after her abuser? One that needs to lose his license.

Second, you cannot leave Florida, MA and head to the MA turnpike and end up in Stockbridge, MA. The last exit on the Pike is in Lee, MA. He would have taken Route 8 through Pittsfield to get to Stockbridge, not going as far as the Pike. I know it's a little thing, but m
Margaret
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Alex Cross is back in private practice when his friend John Sampson calls in a favor needing Alex's help in a serial rapist case. Interestingly the rapist snaps pictures of his victims and shows them to his next victim. The case seems to have a link to Alex Cross's wife's murder and needless to say Alex is hooked.
Trish
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense
Cross is not the first volume of the Alex Cross stories but the first I read. Unlike other serial books I have read, Patterson does not clarify what has happened in previous volumes. For instance, when Alex's wife is killed in part 1, there are only 2 children, Damo and Jannelle. Suddenly, in part 2, there is little Ali. Alex no longer with DCPD but an FBI Agent. In part 3, he is a psychological therapist. Did he go to school somewhere? Alex dates Dr. Kayla Coles in chapter 42 but we do not hear ...more
Lainy
Aug 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Time taken to read - 2 days

Pages - 393

Publisher - Little Brown and Company

Source - Poundshop

Blurb from Goodreads

Years later, still haunted by his wife's death, Cross is making a bold move in his life. Now a free agent from the police and th
Where did Ali come from?? 39 393 Sep 06, 2018 11:19AM
Is it better to read his books in order? 28 1351 Jun 08, 2018 02:44AM
75 Books...More o...: Julie's books for 2013 70 31 Dec 13, 2013 06:48AM

• Eye for Eye (Talion, #1)
  • Median Gray
  • The Elephant Tree
  • Unofficial Series List - James Patterson - In Order: Alex Cross series, Michael Bennett, Women's Murder Club, Private, Maximum Ride, and more
  • The Zombie Room
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo

Alex Cross (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)
  • Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2)
  • Jack & Jill (Alex Cross, #3)
  • Cat and Mouse (Alex Cross, #4)
  • Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, #5)
  • Roses are Red (Alex Cross, #6)
  • Violets Are Blue (Alex Cross, #7)
  • Four Blind Mice (Alex Cross, #8)
  • The Big Bad Wolf  (Alex Cross, #9)
  • London Bridges (Alex Cross, #10)