Start by marking “Changing on the Job: Developing Leaders for a Complex World” as Want to Read:
Changing on the Job: Developing Leaders for a Complex World

Changing on the Job: Developing Leaders for a Complex World

Listen to people in every field and you'll hear a call for more sophisticated leadership—for leaders who can solve more complex problems than the human race has ever faced. But these leaders won't simply come to the fore; we have to develop them, and we must cultivate them as quickly as is humanly possible. Changing on the Job is a means to this end.

As opposed to showing
Published November 30th 2011 by Stanford Business Books

To ask other readers questions about Changing on the Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changing on the Job

Start your review of Changing on the Job: Developing Leaders for a Complex World
Jane
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is really 4.5 starts. The author lays out several clear mindsets/stages in adult development, implications for how we view efficacy, others, change, etc. More importantly, though, the book goes on to implications of these stages for learning, leadership, coaching, organizational development, and overall good of humanity! I don't want to summarize a framework that needs to be pondered in depth. However, I will be integrating this model with others that I use, including psychological type and ...more
Kathleen Rainwater
Sep 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This book is written for people who are interested in understanding the developmental stages of adult growth. Part 1 will help you to understand adult developmental growth. Part two discusses how to support the growth of people in your organization. Part three takes the theory into the workplace, and offers practical ideas for implementing change
Erika RS
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, kindle, leadership
This book applies concepts from adult development theory to developing individuals, especially leaders, within a work context. The motivation is two-fold. First, by using a lens of adult development theory, it helps ground different development needs in a useful framework. Second, by placing development within a work context, it is possible to create sustainable change rather than the sort of change that happens in a class but is forgotten when someone goes back to the pressures and habits of ...more
Jules
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: od
Perhaps this book just came along at the right time of my life working in organizational development, but I just loved it. I'd never before read about adult development, so learning about the journey through different forms of mind and sense-making that individuals go through during their lives was eye-opening. It's one of those frameworks for looking at human experience that makes intuitive sense as you consider the journey of your own life -- the broadening of your perspective over time and ...more
James Dalziel
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Again, complexity made practical. Makes so many connections with our work as educators. hat tipped back to David Snodden and the Cynefin framework.
JP
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book explains four level of self awareness that distinguish how people interact with each other and grow to their own potential. The initial level is very child-like, seeing the world from a fixed lens centered around the self. The most advanced level, the transformative, describes a self-aware, intentionally evolving person who can prompt the same in others. I found the book hard to read, in part because the concepts were so clear that they didn’t need as much explanation as was given. ...more
Don
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Content is solid; the book is geared towards executive coaches. Somewhat helpful to leaders, and in some way a necessary precursor to her valuable "Simple Habits for Complex Times," this is really more about adult development theory and less about how to move organizations forward.

Five stars if you are an executive coach. If you are looking for organization change (which I was), three stars - helpful but not essential.
Alena
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Probably the most insightful book I read in 2018, mostly because of the introduction to the adult development theory (I first listened to her interview with Shane Parrish on the Knowledge Project). The book is mostly written for coaches so some parts of it were fairly irrelevant to my life but I still found it quite enlightening. It wasn’t an easy read but it was worth the time investment.
Mia Lafontaine
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for .. anyone. Especially if you care about getting the most out of your work and your work relationships. But a great reflection all on relationships in general.
Very concrete, illustrated by examples, and very practical, hands-on recommendations on how to approach conflicting mindsets, etc.
Herve Tunga
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At first, I had a different expectations from the titles; something more related to job crafting. Rather than that I got a richer, to me, book about leaders development around world view and mental model. I super cool read for Coach development.
Yvonne
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first few chapters were a wow! Then the real gem for me as a coach, trainer and facilitator came at the last few chapters (they were packed with tips on coaching and workshop design to enhance vertical development)
Aaron Terrazas
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
A handful of good stories, but for the most part felt too in the weeds for the typical reader (like me).
Nikolay Theosom
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
geared more for consultants, but surprisingly helful
Nicolas
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I give the book a four-star-rating. Contentwise it is right on the spot – relying on the well-known developmental theory of Robert Kegan, illustrated with a lot of examples from the business-context and clearly structured throughout.

Bergers main focus are five different „forms of mind“, that each deal differently with complex issues in the business field. She explains those forms of mind quite detailed, drawing on years of experience as a coach and cunsultant. It is quite astounding, how many
Kristin Alford
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was lucky to be able to take a course with Jennifer a couple of weeks ago, and that alongside this book has provided a useful model to adult development and a practical guide to leadership, relationships and making sense of myself. Will need another reading to fully incorporate the ideas into better questions, but much to draw upon.
Willa
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really excellent and practical guide to constructive developmental theory. Very good to read alongside Robert Kegan's work - this is much easier to read but completely in line - it just really helps to read the same material from very different angles.
Ignacio
Great insights about adult sensemaking development, but a bit repetitive and at times hard to stay engaged.
Julia McBride
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has significantly impacted my thinking about my role as a school development coach. Adults can continue to grow in their ability to make sense of a complex world...
Drew Schrader
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Highly impactful read - expanded my sense of what adult developmental learning looks like and had given me a much different perspective on leading adult learning.
Andi Lightheart
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Super interesting practical perspective on stage development stuff. Cooking my brain. #inthegoodway
Sam
Aug 19, 2019
Garth S
rated it did not like it
May 01, 2019
Feb 05, 2018
Jeffrey
Mar 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock Potential in Yourself and Your Organization
  • Who Do We Choose to Be?: Facing Reality, Claiming Leadership, Restoring Sanity
  • Tribe of Mentors: Short Life Advice from the Best in the World
  • The Air-Conditioned Nightmare
  • There Is Nothing Wrong with You: Going Beyond Self-Hate
  • Losing Earth: A Recent History
  • A General Theory of Love
  • Mastering Leadership: An Integrated Framework for Breakthrough Performance and Extraordinary Business Results
  • Someone Has to Fail: the Zero-Sum Game of Public Schooling