Start by marking “Blending Genre, Altering Style: Writing Multigenre Papers” as Want to Read:
Blending Genre, Altering Style: Writing Multigenre Papers

Blending Genre, Altering Style: Writing Multigenre Papers

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  183 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
For Tom Romano, the multigenre paper is much more than a writing assignment. It is a multilayered, multivoiced literary experience. Genres of narrative thinking require writers to make an imaginative leap, melding the factual with the imaginative. Writers can't just tell. They must show. They must make their topics palpable. They must penetrate experience. Multigenre paper ...more
Published February 29th 2000 by Heinemann Educational Books

To ask other readers questions about Blending Genre, Altering Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blending Genre, Altering Style

Joyce Yattoni
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The author is considered one of the fathers of the multigenre paper. I enjoyed all the mini lessons he suggested along the way in preparing students to write in a variety of genres across one central idea/theme, although I felt some of his models of papers were too complex to show to middle schoolers.
Katherine Lewis
May 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teachers of writing/ Writers
Recommended to Katherine by: Found on Amazon.com when I started my first multi-genre unit!
Oh my word. I heart Tom Romano BIG TIME. I just want to curl up on a couch with him, writer's notebook under my arm, and say, "Teach me. Tell me stories. Write with me." Rarely do I find a professional development book that I joyfully read from one cover to the other. True, when I first bought the book, I was hurting for student examples of multi-genre projects; since the book contained FIVE full projects, I just flipped through, photocopied those, and threw the book back in my bag.

Later though,
Christine Engelbrecht
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching-pd
Read this in college. This book introduced me to the idea of the multi-genre project, research paper, even writing analysis. A book every E/LA teacher should own.
Carrie
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pedagogy
Tom Romano, known by many in the field of English Education as the father of multigenre writing, chronicles the different approaches utilized by many teachers that have embraced multigenre writing. Romano begins his book Blending Genre, Altering Style with a chapter of testimonials from teachers who have successfully implemented a multigenre approach in their classrooms. As Sirpa Grierson asserts “…the power of the multigenre form makes the information real- the “imagination puts some meat on th ...more
Tedi
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really, I would give this 4.5 starts. I truly enjoyed this in depth look at multigenre papers, something which had become incredibly interesting to me. Personally, I loved the insight and writing advice Romano offered and will dig into this text again and again in my own pursuits of multigenre writing. Professionally, this is a fantastic starting point but was geared largely toward older high schoolers and college students. I am still in the process of figuring out how to adapt this to the abili ...more
Debbie
I would make this a 3.5 rating if I could.

I devoured this book, taking in all the different options for multigenre papers in classrooms. It made me want to go through the process with students right then and there and, all the better, start the process myself once I put the book down. As it is, maybe I'll just settle for a weeklong workshop in the summer.

The reason this is 3.5 stars and not 4, though, is that the title is misleading and this particular structure of writing was not what I was loo
Sarahjo
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
The best part about Tom Romano's book is the idea that education can and should change. That bringing students into a place of creativity and critical thinking is more important than regurgitating facts. Multi-genre writing encourages this creativity by focusing on how writing has the ability to cause people to feel and experience something. I love the idea as a way to spark creativity even in more traditional writing genres and a way to write about important experiences. I still would prefer a ...more
Thomas Williams
Tom Romano's honest approach to teaching and using multi-genre works was refreshing and interesting as I turned from page to page. He discusses his personal experiences and the experiences of his colleagues to help teachers avoid the pitfalls they experienced. He also includes a good number of mentor texts, so you can approach the multi-genre papers form different angles and with different ideas about what works.
Becca
Aug 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's not the best methods book I've ever read, but it really got me thinking about the intellectual underpinnings of how we teach writing in this country. It kind of makes me sad too. My co-teacher and I did a multigenre project last year with our kids. And, reading this, I see so many ways we could make it better, but we don't teach together anymore. Maybe it'll provide some inspiration for me and my new co-teacher.
Jen
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I know I'm late to this party, but I finally read Romano's important book on multi genre research. This year will be my first foray into a modified version of what Romano created, so I'm not yet ready to speak with any authority on his ideas. He certainly deserves major credit for his innovative approach to reaching students by tapping into their passion and creativity.
Courtney
Dec 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Courtney by: Letcher
This is an excellent text for teachers to use to incorporate a multigenre approach in their classrooms. Romano takes the two MGRP chapters in Writing with Passion and expands them to encompass more detailed guidelines, examples, and teaching strategies to make the process less ambiguous for students and teachers alike. I love this book, and wish I knew about it earlier.
Jeremy Stephens
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2009

I read this book for a class about teaching writing. This book discusses the idea of "multi-genre projects" as an alternative traditional research essays. This book was a real eye opener. Such projects provide a world of opportunity for learning and expression and can incorporate research and other traditional learning tools to promote learning.
Heather
Apr 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
An amazing book to introduce multigenre writing. Takes it step by step and includes student samples. I would definitley recommend to anyone contemplating this type of project or who is looking for an alternative to the traditional research paper.
Caroline
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching-theory
I can't stop thinking about ways to use the multi-genre piece in my future classroom. I can't wait to build it into the structure of my class and expose students to an alternative to just expository writing.
Stetson
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book really added to my understanding Multigenre Papers. Lots of helpful resources to support teaching this type of paper.
Jolene
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book really added to my understanding of Multigenre Papers. Lots of helpful resources to support teaching this type of paper.
Sirdarksol
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Multigenre rough draft 1 2 Mar 25, 2016 02:51PM
  • Write Beside Them: Risk, Voice, and Clarity in High School Writing
  • After "The End": Teaching and Learning Creative Revision
  • Image Grammar : Using Grammatical Structures to Teach Writing(Bk & Cdrom)
  • The English Teacher's Companion: A Complete Guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession
  • Literature Circles, second edition: Voice and Choice in Book Clubs  Reading Groups
  • Adolescent Literacy: Turning Promise Into Practice
  • Teaching Adolescent Writers
  • Because Writing Matters: Improving Student Writing in Our Schools
  • Mechanically Inclined: Building Grammar, Usage, and Style into Writer's Workshop
  • Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide from the Authors of Craft Lessons
  • Holding on to Good Ideas in a Time of Bad Ones: Six Literacy Principles Worth Fighting for
  • Lessons That Change Writers [with Binder]
  • Notebook Know-How: Strategies for the Writer's Notebook
  • Words, Words, Words: Teaching Vocabulary in Grades 4-12
  • Reading Don't Fix No Chevys: Literacy in the Lives of Young Men
  • Fresh Takes on Teaching Literary Elements: How to Teach What Really Matters About Character, Setting, Point of View, and Theme