Start by marking “When My Brother Was an Aztec” as Want to Read:
When My Brother Was an Aztec

When My Brother Was an Aztec

"I write hungry sentences," Natalie Diaz once explained in an interview, "because they want more and more lyricism and imagery to satisfy them." This debut collection is a fast-paced tour of Mojave life and family narrative: A sister fights for or against a brother on meth, and everyone from Antigone, Houdini, Huitzilopochtli, and Jesus is invoked and invited to hash it ou ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Copper Canyon Press (first published April 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about When My Brother Was an Aztec, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When My Brother Was an Aztec

Start your review of When My Brother Was an Aztec
Roxane
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Whew. The confidence in this poetry collection is impressive. The work here takes on race and identity and poverty and popular culture. There is also a lot of interesting commentary on the body, how it bleeds, how it fails, how it endures. A truly striking collection.
Michael
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, favorites, poetry
An expansive debut collection of poems about family ties, queer romance, and Mojave life. Diaz writes plainspoken poetry that’s full of sharp wit and clear images, and she tackles head on a wide array of difficult subjects, from the emotional toll of a loved one’s addiction to the devastating effects of white supremacy. Well worth checking out.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, read2018
When My Brother Was an Aztec is a debut poetry collection. The poems are vivid with language, family history, cultural struggle, and struggles in the body.

Before I wrote this review, I spent almost an hour watching Natalie perform her poems and talk about her poems and life on YouTube. It was interesting to hear her talk about her work to help her people retain the Mojave language, and her family's reactions to her poems. She writes about her brother's meth addiction in particular, and its effe
Ellie
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book so lush it left me drunk. Serious, painful poems about the narrator's relationship with her drug-addicted brother. Poems of passion and longing. Poems riffing off works by Lorca and Rimbaud. A clever commentary on our paranoid post-9/11 world in which oranges become the new vehicles of evil.

The power of red, the sensual attraction of apples. The knots of family love.

These poems contain so much and examine with great intensity love that sometimes borders on hate, on feelings that seem to
Ken
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like the cover, colorful. Natalie Díaz does the imagery thing extremely well. It's a rich dish, this book, and her brother is metaphorically sacrificed, like so many young people these days, to drugs (in his case, meth, which I guess involves lightbulbs somehow). Family, the body, love, race, and a few other big honking themes included. Worth a look!
Zachary F.
Truth is, there may be angels, but if there are angels
up there, living on clouds or sitting on thrones across the sea wearing
velvet robes and golden rings, drinking whiskey from silver cups,
we're better off if they stay rich and fat and ugly and
'xactly where they are—in their own distant heavens.
You better hope you never see angels on the rez. If you do, they'll be marching you off to
Zion or Oklahoma, or some other hell they've mapped out for us.

Some people just seem to live a lot of life; i
mwpm
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to mwpm by: Chaneli
Shelves: poetry
The most prominent part of Diaz's When My Brother Was an Aztec is the exploration of the poet's identity, growing up in the Fort Mojave Indian Reservation (as in "Hand-Me-Down-Halloween"), and coming to terms with her brother's meth addiction (as in "No More Cake Here")...
The year we moved off / the reservation /
a / white / boy up the street gave me a green trash bag
fat with corduroys, bright collared shirts

& a two-piece / Tonto / costume
turquoise thunderbird on the chest\
shirt & pants
- Hand-Me-
Jennifer (Insert Lit Pun)
Feverish, funny, serious, sensual poems. This collection has TEETH. Whether Díaz is writing about reservation life, her brother's drug addiction, or lovers' jealousy, she ties in themes of conquering and being conquered, of ecstasy and despair, of living the color red (internally and externally). And her phrasing regularly took my breath away. Perfect both for poetry lovers (who'll get more of the allusions than I did) and for those intimidated by poetry (like me).
Lauren
Such a strong debut! This is one of my favorites in my month of poetry reads. This book has stayed with me in the days since I read it, and it begs for a re-read.

Grady
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Natalie Diaz, Conjurer

Poetry as turgid with metaphors, as disturbing, raw, and, a veces, humorous and sly and naughty doesn't happen often, but in this collection WHEN MY BROTHER WAS AN AZTEC Natalie Diaz manages to travel this bumpy terrain with such a sure hand that the result is staggering. Perhaps a part of the intensity of her writing is that as a woman born and raised on an Indian Reservation - and that, without parody intended, is why she writes like a necromancer, an augurer, a sorceress
Peycho Kanev
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Black Magic Brother

My brother’s shadow flutters from his shoulders, a magician’s cape.
My personal charlatan glittering in woofle dust and loaded
with gimmicks and gaffs.

A train of dirty cabooses, of once-beautiful girls,
follows my magus man like a chewed tail
helping him perform his tricks.
He calls them his Beloveds, his Sim Sala Bimbos, juggles them,
shoves them into pipes packed hot hard as cannons and Wham Bam
Ala-Kazam! whirls them to smoke.
Sometimes he vanishes their teeth then points his broke
Pascale Petit
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favourite all-time poetry collections, one I've read many times and often share poems from it with students. I love how Diaz combines the mythic with the sharp realities of her Mojave family life – uncomfortable but luxurious, vibrant and tragic, erotic and linguistically baroque. If I could give it ten stars I would. I can't wait for her next book and have seen samples published in various magazines that promise it will be even better.
Jonterri
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most exciting poetry collections I've read in a long time. The brutal honesty of these poems is what gets me. There are so many surprises. I found the poems concerning the brother and his relation to the family to be the most powerful/painful. I'll be reading this collection over and over.
Andrea Blancas
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I have only three words: READ THIS BOOK.
Jerrie (redwritinghood)
Diaz’s debut collection tackles big questions intelligently and sympathetically. While I found her more recent collection more powerful, the poems here detailing her family’s struggles with her brother’s drug addiction were very moving.
ambyr
Sharp, angry poems with a fine eye toward metaphor and repetition. Part II, which deals primarily with her brother's struggles with drug addition, was particularly brutal. (At times I felt like the book might have benefited from a smaller selection of poems, since so many retread the same thematic territory--but there's no specific poem I would have cut, and perhaps that's just my own discomfort with the subject matter speaking.) Part III, which leans toward lesbian love poetry, was an unexpecte ...more
Ilias
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, poetry
There were a fair number of poems in here I liked a lot. And there were some that didn't do so much for me. Generally, I liked the ones about the history of conflict between American Indians and European settlers [and how her own experiences growing up reflected that conflict], about women, about desire/sex, and about her brother going to war.

I didn’t so much like the ones about the eponymous brother and his meth habit. Which is maybe because some drug usage is sort of squicky to me, but also, I
D.A.
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Spellbinding, meaty, frightening and beautiful. This first collection feels like it carries the weight of a life, illuminated and abiding. Diaz' poems do not spare us the bright stains of life's wounds, but they do not sink into despair. Rather, these are poems born of the magical and majestic art of healing. Highly recommended.
Paul Ataua
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it
‘When My Brother Was an Aztec’ comes from an interesting place with Diaz growing up on a Mojave Indian reservation, having to dealing with her brother’s addiction, and suffering her lover’s jealousy, among other things. She lays her life bare with a brutal honesty. I liked the content, but didn’t really connect with the poetry. Glad I read it, though.
Victoria
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stunning. Haunting. Beautiful.

I loved this poetry collection so much. I Watch Her Eat the Apple is one of my favourite poems of all time and I'm so glad that I finally got to read more of her work. The way she weaves her imaginary is so poignant and purposeful, I can only dream to write 1/4 as good as her.

Here were some of my favourites:
1. Abecedarian Requiring Further Examination of Anglikan Seraphym Subjugation of a Wild Indian Rezervation
2. Why I Hate Raisins
3. Reservation Mary
4. The Last M
Nancy Boutilier
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"When My Brother Was an Aztec" is a powerful collection from an emerging poet you'll be hearing of soon...so get ahead of the curve and be the one talking about it...

Fierce and fragile is the world created in Natalie Diaz's debut collection. The poems chronicles the challenges, heartbreak, hunger(s) and means of survival growing up on the reservation. Varied in form (ballads, pantoum, abecedarian...) and consistently strong, these poems explore hunger and history, weakness and courage, in both
Hesper
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, lgbtq, indigenous
Similar to Afterland in intent, but so much more intense, almost feverish. And the language--oh, the language--and especially the fluid way Díaz shifts concrete images into metaphor--damn. There are poems about cultural identity; about coping with the ravages of her brother's meth addiction; delirious poems about jealousy & passion.

Yet, the whole remains coherent, a sometimes caustic, sometimes brutal, narrative. There's tremendous skill and confidence in this collection, and, best of all, it's
Abby
Mar 10, 2019 added it
What you need to know: Natalie Diaz is not only a rock star, as is instantly evident from this collection, but she is also apparently a gift to the world, as I see her name here and there making the path a little easier for other people. You need to know that this collection is gorgeous (like clouds!) and funny ("The Last Mojave Indian Barbie") and will also make you come undone ("She is my sister, goddammit. / She is too young to sit at your table, / to eat from your dark pie."). You should kno ...more
Craig Werner
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely searing book of poetry that finds its center in Diaz's struggles with her brother's meth addiction, cast against the background of Native American dispossession and social dislocation. So many good poems, with great images that move beyond rhetorical abstractions: The Red Blues, A Woman With No Legs, Reservation Mary, The Last Mojave Indian Barbie, My Brother at 3 A.M., How to Go to Dinner with a Brother on Drugs. Tails off just a tad at the end, but anyone even vaguely interested in ...more
Arren Lenau
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful poetry, stunning imagery. Everything from life on a reservation, growing up poor, dealing with her brother's addiction, and then sensual poetry about the women she's in love/lust with. Gorgeous and stunning work. Makes me want to write poetry again, or at least try. Díaz's use of imagery and metaphor is powerful, and her wide range of cultural references is also impressive and interesting.
Weston Richey
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who's interested in contemporary poetry even a bit
Shelves: poetry
I'll hopefully write something longer at some point, but suffice it to say: this is really quite a haunting collection of poems. Natalie Diaz has said (or, I believe, written) that she writes "hungry poems."

That seems to be about accurate, in all of hunger's beauty, pain, ugliness, scariness, desire.
Jessica
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: q, poetry
I usually have trouble with poetry, because sometimes the formatting of a poem distracts me. I'll think "why is it structured this way, am I supposed to be reading it with a specific rhythm?" I'm going to try to listen to audio versions read by the poet whenever possible. That said, this was a beautiful collection.
Nicole M. Lopez
Devastatingly good.

When you finish the last line of poem, and your heart immediately burst out of your chest, you can't deny this how good that shit is. This book is filled with poems that do exactly that.
Laurel L. Perez
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS. This collection is heartbreaking, breathtaking, and calls readers to look closer at the cultural and familial context beneath the surface. A wonderful book to share with creative writing students.
Kandace
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking, challenging, a collection that wreaks of the fallibilities of the human body, historical trauma, family, and drug use. An amazing debut collection with a strong Indigenous and queer voice.

• The Tradition
  • Magical Negro
  • How to Wash a Heart
  • Slow Lightning
  • Vertigo & Ghost
Natalie Diaz was born and raised in the Fort Mojave Indian Village in Needles, California, on the banks of the Colorado River. She is Mojave and an enrolled member of the Gila River Indian Tribe. Her first poetry collection, When My Brother Was an Aztec, was published by Copper Canyon Press in 2012. Her second poetry collection, Postcolonial Love Poems is published by Graywolf Press in 2020. She i ...more