Start by marking “Conquering Passion” as Want to Read:
Conquering Passion

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Conquering Passion (The Montbryce Legacy #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  206 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Overview:The year is 1066. The world is about to change forever. Can love survive and flourish amid the carnage, hatred, betrayals and dangers of the Norman Conquest? Juicy historical fiction. An intimate story of passion, ambition, conspiracy, and vengeance.
Published November 27th 2011 by BleuBelle Press (first published December 19th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Conquering Passion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conquering Passion

Stephanie Burkhart
Markland writes a sweeping Norman epic with "Conquering Passion." Rambaud (Ram) de Montbryce is a Norman noble and a trusted assistant to William the Conqueror. His own heart refuses to be tamed until he meets Mabelle de Valtess, but dare he give into the passion she invokes?

The story is set against the backdrop of 1066 Normandie. Ram is a young man and heir to his lands. His father arranges his marriage to a Norman noblewoman, Mabelle. Unfortunately, Ram has no desire to marry, especially a wom
Mimi Barbour
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lady Maybelle’s life had been very difficult with a rascal of a father whose temper had made them flee from their ancestral home to live off the charity of others. Due to unfortunate circumstances, she was forced into an engagement with Rambaud de Montbryce, a man she’d never met. When she did meet him and began to feel somewhat happy about the upcoming nuptials, he refused to follow through with his father’s plans and he virtually left her at the alter.

As it turned out, they had met previously
Elysa
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
An Epic Historical Romance

Ms Marklund's CONQUERING PASSION covers a span of over ten years and is rich in details of 11th century England. Her portrayal of the historic combatants for the crown of England is even-handed. The author shows the reader how each historical figure felt they were in the right in their claim to the throne. None are depicted as perfect or evil, but as real men fighting for what they believed was right. At times the history overshadowed the romance, but since I found Ms M
Jayne dArcy
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is how I wish history had been presented as a student. Anna Markland is one of the very best authors to explain the history that is going on around Ram and MaBelle and how it influences them.

Just as there are bad in this world there is so very much good. Ram is one of those rare knights who, had he been king, would have rivalled the legend of King Arthur. He does not believe in the cruelties that many Normans are known for and because of this he begins to amass quite the extraordinary legac
Angel
so I am not done the book yet. but what I can say is that ram is a dick,he better confess to cheating on her, before they even got married and that if they end up together after I'm gonna flip

ok so with this book i am very conflicted. The writing was great and the story just flowed really well, but one of my biggest hates in the whole world is cheating and cheaters. so when he actually thinks of his faience before he actually sticks his cock in the other women, that really mad me angree, (but he
shms
I tried with this, romances set in medieval ages always interest me. But in the end I was bored, even the 'cheating' aspect didn't bother me. When I can't get worked up over cheating I must be super bored. Gave up after that.
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Conquering Passion had a very good plot and I enjoyed the first half quite a lot. However, the author 'told' rather than 'showed' the majority of events in the novel which caused slower reading on my part because I was not very motivated. There was also not a lot of character building and background. A few times the formatting was wrong which was a little confusing and distracting, but it did not really affect the overall story. This is the first of a series and I liked that while most of the co ...more
Barb
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Conquering Passion was such a fun read! From the very beginning, I became lost in the mind of Mabelle de Valtesse and her journey from a naive young girl, to a strong minded and sensual women! Ms. Markland's ability to find the right balance between medieval battles and exciting passion was fantastic, and kept me reading all night long! Entertaining, dramatic, and definitely sexy, Conquering Passion was a great read, and I recommend it to anyone out there looking for some medieval romance in the ...more
Nicole
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book on first-reads.

This was probably the best book I received from First-Reads. Really enjoyed the story as well as all of the characters. Mabelle's character was greatly written and her connection with Ram was great to follow. My only issue I had in reading this book is that time jumped forward frequently and there weren't always good cues stating that it had jumped. The edition I recieved also seemed to have some printing/editing errors.
Petula
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5***** this book is the first of a series and if the others are half as good I will be a happy girl. Passionate without being crude. Just the way I like my reading. The history in the story is detailed and keeps the pages turning. I have fallen in love with the Montbryce family and am so happy its a series. I also want to read the books about Rhodri he's so interesting.
BeachLove20
Jul 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Couldn't finish reading it. I was pissed that he cheated on her and got someone else pregnant. That completely ruined the story for me because I loved Ram up until that point. Maybe I will finish it one day so I know how it all ends.
❆ Crystal ❆
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, g-highlanders
I got this book, but assumed it would be on the corny side... but I ended up really loving this book. I very much enjoyed.
Deepu
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book through Goodreads First Reads and I liked the book. Wish there was more romance though and less historic content.
Anna Markland
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm in love with the characters I've created in this book!
Rustye
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medieval, historical, mf
Excellent medieval romance with great touches off history through out. I look forward to Ms Markland's other books in this series.
Zoe
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really nice historical type romance.
Kat Green
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First I fell in love with the cover (the other cover)... then I fell in love with the characters. An excellent book that draws you into the story to the point of where you're standing on the sidelines screaming, "don't do it, don't do it" lol. I needed a tissue or two as well, but an excellent book/audio ebook with excellent writing. I will say I probably wouldn't have bought it with this particular cover though, so I'm glad whom ever changed it. Gary furlong did an excellent job on the audio ve ...more
Annette
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very in-depth, detailed and passionate historical romance. There is lots of action and entertaining aspects in their story which is an adventurous one shadowed by insecurities & filled with so many challenges during a time of war, spies and jealousy. Their struggle to live, trust and love is well written and heartwarming.

I read Conquest which combines Conquering Passion & Defiant Passion
Louise purfield-coak
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Passionate Romance

This is a story about Romantic Passion, with a background formed of vengeance. I would recommend this book to adults who like a HEA.
JudyB
Enjoyed the love story between Ram and Mabelle. The book was very heavy on historical facts regarding the wars, battles and military strategies during the period.
Kathy
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Montbryce Legacy #1
Conquering Passion by Anna Markland Conquering Passion by Anna Markland is the second book I've read by Anna Markland. Defiant Passion was the first (I got it for free) and I enjoyed it so much that I decided to go ahead and read the other two books in that series, but when I went to her website http://annamarkland.com/ I discovered that a lot of her books interconnect and thought that the best way to read them would be in chronological order, which started with Conquering Passion.

Conquering Passion spans
Lily
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in The Montbryce Legacy series. I have to say I had mixed feelings about this book. It was very well written and while I am not familiar with the time period, I am guessing that Anna Markland did her research and the events are historically correct. There is a lot of historical detail outlining the political activities, wars and brutality going on in the medieval period. It is a major part of the novel, so if historical intrigue is not of interest, this may make the story ...more
Briana Steelman
Barbara
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent read!

Actually loved this book. A bit crass in some areas, but not too graphic. After all we are talking medieval warriors who see blood and gore and experience death on a daily basis. Our hero has flaws, but so does our heroine. The author captures well the description of the tumultuous times, as well as an understanding of how an arranged marriage turns into one of deeply rooted love. I am anxious to read more by this author.
Cassandra
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received the third book in this series as a goodreads giveaway. I noticed that I downloaded this first book to my Kindle for free and I thought I would start here. I am glad I did. This historical romance is part history lesson and part story. I sometimes loved the hero and other times hated him. In the end, I loved the reading experience.
Lyns
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very nice book about the 1066 invasion of England and settlement by Norman knights.
Kay
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great new author for me

I read this book in one day, i t has been some time since I have done that. Will be finding more of Anna Marklands work soon.
Marcy Lynn
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wonderful

This was my first time reading a Medieval Romance novel. Needless to say after reading this wonderful story it won't be my last. I can't wait to start the next book!!!
Ann Gonzalez
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anna Markland is a talented writer. This book flowed smoothly and entertained. The characters were well written, even if they were sometimes stubborn fools.
Shari Kay
Jul 05, 2016 marked it as not-for-me  ·  review of another edition
author's storylines not for me
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Dance of Desire
  • Seducing the Knight (The Brotherhood of the Scottish Templars, #2)
  • Knight's Caress
  • Once a Rake
  • A Winter Ballad
  • The Way of the Heart
  • The Mistress At Midnight (Midnight Masquerade, #3)
  • Autumn's Flame (The Graistan Chronicles, #4)
  • The Impostor Bride (Dangerous Masquerade Collection, #3)
  • Bold (The Handfasting, #1)
  • Unspoken (The MacLauchlans, #1)
  • Devil Black
Anna Markland is a Canadian author with a keen interest in genealogy. She writes medieval romance about family honour, ancestry and roots. Her novels are intimate love stories filled with passion and adventure. Following a fruitful career in teaching, Anna transformed her love of writing and history into engaging works of fiction. One of the things she enjoys most about writing historical romance ...more
More about Anna Markland

The Montbryce Legacy (4 books)
  • A Man of Value
  • If Love Dares Enough (Montbryce Legacy, #3)
  • Passion In the Blood (The Montbryce Legacy, #4)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Don't Say A Word
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)