Start by marking “Silent Night (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #5)” as Want to Read:
Silent Night (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #5)

Silent Night

(Raine Stockton Dog Mystery #5)

It's Christmas time, and for Raine Stockton and her Search and Rescue dog, Cisco, Hansonville, North Carolina is just like a Norman Rockwell painting-- except for the rash of thefts of baby Jesus figurines from nativity scenes, an abandoned box of golden retriever puppies that someone leaves beside her mailbox, and a mysterious gift from one of Cisco's a grateful admirers. ...more
Published November 23rd 2011 by Blue Merle Publishing (first published November 19th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silent Night

Start your review of Silent Night (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #5)
Ronna
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Donna Ball Raine Stockton Dog Mystery that I've read, but it definitely won't be the last one for me. I chose it because of the Christmas theme, even though it was the fifth one in this series. Thankfully, though I mostly like to read books in their numerical order, I felt like I wasn't missing anything about the main characters.

Raine Stockton has her hands full with her Search & Rescue Dogs. Her training and grooming center is being remodeled but her funds have run dry. I
Gloria Mccracken
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love this series; and this book is a worthy addition to it. With the Susan Conant (Holly Winter) malamute series and the Virginia Lanier bloodhound series, it rounds out the triumvirate of Wonderful Dog Mysteries. There are other, lesser series that involve dogs but in none of these do any of the animals, talk, drive cars, type notes or any other implausible behaviors and they are all well-written with characters you want to spend time with. I will admit that Raine Stockton (the pr ...more
Jeanne Stephens
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silent Night is the best Raine Stockton novel I have read. I loved the others, but this one is a standout because of its believable characters and plot. I love this series because I love the mountains of North Carolina. I love dogs too and with dogs and the mountains you have a winning combination.
Raine visits nursing homes and brings her dogs to visit the patients. Just reading about this inspires me want to do the same.
A new character is introduced and I hope she stays around. At first Melan
Bernadette Williamson
Love Donna Ball's books

I don't know what I love most about her books. Maybe it's her characters, maybe the mystery, maybe the family and friends interaction. Nope. It's definitely the dogs! This was a sweet story. I know that sounds strange when describing a mystery, but sometimes the backstory is more important than the "who dunnit" element. While the outcome was predictable, I loved the way I got there.
angela yargus
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Merry Christmas

Donna Ball shamelessly grabs her readers, and gives them exactly what they are wanting...a GREAT read. She has all it takes to kidnap us, and rewards us so generously.
Excuse me, I have another book to read....Book #6!
Kelly
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Pretty good. Short read. Like in the previous books, it's clear the author has done some obedience and agility training and has been around enough dogs to realize they aren't all wonderfully behaved Disney characters.

Slight peeve: Most of the prior books in the series have been accurate with respect to dog training and titles in obedience and agility. In this book, the main character's friend, Maude, is described as having golden retrievers with championships in obedience, conformati
Mary Foster
More drama than mystery

Ball writes well, and her choice of a dog trainer as her lead character is intriguing. Know, however, that this book is less mystery than it is a semi-romance. In fact, while slogging through the story I forgot that there was a crime to be solved.
Betty
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christmas

Enjoyable story, some laughs, some tears but a good ending. If you love dogs as much as I do, these are the books for you.
Audiothing
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:06-02-14
Publisher: Blue Merle Publishing

Publishers' Summary
It's Christmas time, and for Raine Stockton and her Search and Rescue dog, Cisco, Hansonville, North Carolina is just like a Norman Rockwell painting - except for the rash of
Terri
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful cozy mystery!
First let me say, I read / listened to this book in audio format via audible.com. I will always choose audio over written books, as audio breathes life into the books and allows us to be hands free while reading to do other things as well, not to mention that audio books make great driving companions too!
Raine Stockton has many wild stories, past & present about her search & rescue dog, Cisco. Raine runs a dog training business and fosters several other
Bridget
Dec 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
This was a new-to-me author and series, and I enjoyed reading this one very much.

Raine Stockton is the main character. She lives in a small Tennessee town, and as this book opens, is hoping that she will be able to afford the remaining construction costs on the dog-training/boarding facility she and a friend/partner need for their business. Her ex-husband, Buck is the sheriff, and there is some unfinished emotional business between the two of them.

Anyway, as the book open
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-reads
I won this book in a goodreads.com giveaway.

I really enjoyed this cozy mystery, especially since I'm a dog lover. This is the 5th in a series about Raine Stockton who is a dog trainer who used to be married to a cop, and she finds herself solving mysteries in a town in North Carolina. Reading the description on the book, it sounded like too much was going to happen in one story. However, it did pan out and made sense and wasn't overwhelming. Raine was a charming character, and her do
Lee Miller
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christmas cozies have become an industry unto themselves and to do my part for the economy, I try to read one every December. Often they're a disappointment but "Silent Night," the fifth volume in the Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, was a welcome surprise.

Stockton and her search and rescue dog Cisco live in a small North Carolina town. This is, of course, a murder mystery, but in addition to a murder, there's a child in a manger, romance, the Smokey Mountains in winter, history, possib
Eileen Goudge
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
My favorite kind of cozy mystery is the kind that isn't too...well, cozy. Some of the ones I've read are nice but put me to sleep (good if you're an insomniac). What I like about SILENT NIGHT, from the Raine Stockton series, is that it fits solidly into the cozy category but with just enough meat on the bones to hold my interest. As a dog lover, I enjoyed reading about the lead character's exploits as a dog trainer and her Golden Retriever rescue shelter. The characters of the canines were as we ...more
Amy
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this series!! Recently, I have been posting 2 star books, so I decided to grab the next Raine Stockton series to get me out of my reading rut. (I own all the books, but have not yet read them all. Reading them in order and savoring them!!). Silent Night is particularly perfect as I read it during the Christmas holidays. Ball knows how to entertain with great mystery, humor, a bit of romance, and lots of lovable dogs. She imparts her dog training wisdom, but is NOT preachy and k ...more
Julia
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, fast read. The main character, Raine, was likable, and so were the other characters in the book.The dogs figured heavily in the story, which I liked. Too often you read a mystery claiming to be dog related, where the dogs only appear a few times. Dogs were prominent in this book, and they actually helped solve the mystery. This is the first book from this series that I have read. It doesn't seem necessary to read the previous books first in order to enjoy this one. I plan on seek ...more
Elaine
Absolutely loved this mystery/romance/adventure. I love the whole Raine Stockton series, but this may have been my number one favorite. And, of course, Cisco, the mischievous golden retriever, stars, as does Raine's new love interest, Miles, and his daughter Melanie.

It is such a relief to read a believable mystery with characters you really care about. Well, believable except for the fact that Raine encounters and gets involved in serious crime about once a month. But then, most of the women in
Marti
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a short amusing book which had a lot happening. Raine Stockton is a dog trainer who has three dogs of her own. She used to be married to the sheriff in a small town in NC, and also does dog rescue. She becomes involved with a friend who suffers a ski accident--helps him out with his daughter. Some puppies are abandoned, and it is Raine to the rescue. A newborn baby shows up at the live nativity--you can get the idea. This apparently is the fifth in this series.
Lee
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Number 5 in the Raine Stockton Dog Mystery series. Christmas time in Hansonville North Carolina. Raine is trying to figure out how she fits in since her divorce has changed her status in town. But one murder, four abandoned newborns of both the two legged and four legged type, a renovation at her training facility, the traditional hustle and bustle of the season, and a complicated new relationship are all keeping her busy. Audio narrated by Donna Postel.
Trisha
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
2014-01-24. Excellent book. I'm really loving this series even more with each book. I especially loved the bit about Mystery and Mischief getting out of their cages. Great! Murder and mystery was good. Progress made with Miles and his daughter perfect. Awesome storyline about the shoebox Esther gave her. Off to the next book!
Jan C
Nov 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, south, animal
Christmas in the Carolinas and somebody dumps a box of puppies on Raine's doorstep. So half of the book is taken up with her trying to get puppies adopted to good homes. And her new boyfriend is dumping his daughter on her. They don't hit it off too well at first. And the next thing you know, Cisco, the golden retriever, is being used as a drug dog. I thought he was search and rescue.
Alicia
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, owned
Another great one from Donna. This one is centered around Christmas time. It is Raine's first Christmas without Buck. She is "seeing" Miles and learns in this story that he has a 9 yo daughter. There's a murder to solve and an abandoned baby. Lots of action in this one. Cant wait til the next one is out on audio.
Girlbartending
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery

Another fun warm hearted mystery. Great for dog lovers. Recommend reading the books in order as the characters relationships develop through the overall storyline. You don't have to read the previous books to follow the main plot of each novel and I've not noticed any spoilers in newer books that would take away from the earlier mysteries.
Vicky
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book very much. I liked reading about characters from the other books and I enjoyed the new character: Melanie. The subplots with the puppies, the ex husband,and the "shoe box" were all intertwined very well. The murder mystery was also well done. I just wasn't sure who "did it". Looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Robert Long
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Christmas delight.

This book brought joy to my first Christmas with out my beloved dog Zoie, who passed away this year after 17 years of love. Thanks for the joy you brought me.
Joan
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was thinking this would be a light, predictable and no meat novel, but since I was wanting to read a Chrsitmas novel I downloaded it and to my surprise, I really like it. If you light light mysteries dogs, Christmas and romance you will like this one.
Jackie
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, audiobook
This is a rare fun book loved every moment. I was given the this as a audio book for free in exchange for reviews. It was read by Donna Postel she was amazing and I cant wait for more of her Readings.This book is the best audiobook2014!
Patty
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: readin-14
Another fun, quick read from Donna Ball. It was nice to have it to read during Christmas because you don't have to concentrate AND you haven't got all these dogs and mysteries in you life. I really like the insight into the training and different personalities of the dogs too.
Anne Fletcher-jones
Yet another really good read

Again, I enjoyed this book. The characters feel real to me and are sympathetic. They change and grow, and the story flows nicely. I plan on reading all of this author's books!
Jeanie Jackson
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love this series and all the people in it. Even the two footed ones. The plots are interesting but it is interaction of the characters that make this one special.
This one takes place around Christmas, a season I enjoy reading about.
More later.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Silent Night - 8th Dec Book 1 3 Dec 19, 2013 05:41PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Silent Night by Donna Ball 1 3 Jan 29, 2013 03:14AM

• Before It's Too Late (FBI K-9 #2)
  • Burning Ridge (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #4)
  • Lone Wolf (FBI K-9 #1)
  • Black Velvet (The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #1)
  • Hunting Hour (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery, #3)
  • Storm Rising (FBI K-9 #3)
  • Irish Car Bomb (The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #2)
  • Killing Trail (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #1)
  • Stalking Ground (Timber Creek K-9 Mystery #2)
  • White Russian (The Erin O'Reilly Mysteries #3)
  • A Borrowing of Bones (Mercy & Elvis Mysteries #1)
  • Inside the Echo (The Flint K-9 Search and Rescue Mysteries #2)
  • The Redemption Game (The Flint K-9 Search and Rescue Mysteries #3)
  • Desperate Creed (Ryder Creed #5)
  • Breaking Creed (Ryder Creed, #1)
  • The Darkest Thread (The Flint K-9 Search and Rescue Mysteries #1)
  • K-9 Outlaw (A Kelton Jager Adventure #1)
  • The Shaming Eyes (A Nick Drake Novel Book 3)

Raine Stockton Dog Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
  • Rapid Fire (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #2)
  • Gun Shy (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #3)
  • Bone Yard (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #4)
  • The Dead Season (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #6)
  • High In Trial (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #7)
  • Double Dog Dare (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #8)
  • Home of the Brave (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #9)
  • Dog Days (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #10)
  • Land of the Free (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #11)