Start by marking “Oink-a-Doodle-Moo” as Want to Read:

Oink!
Oink-a-Doodle
Oink-a-Doodle-Doo
Oink-a-Doodle-Moo

Now you say it back. . . .

A barnyard game of telephone goes wildly wrong in this hilarious picture book that demands to be read out loud.
Published June 12th 2012 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Oink-a-Doodle-Moo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oink-a-Doodle-Moo

Melanie
Pig has a secret to pass on. He tells Rooster. Rooster passes it on to Cow. It goes from there. Each animal that passes the secret on adds their own part. By the time it gets to Dog and he's supposed to tell Pig, Dog doesn't know what in the world he's saying.

A hilarious story that encourages audience participation.
Vicki
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
The set up for this book is reminiscent of the game telephone and the poor animals cannot not manage in a very silly way to pass it on correctly. Many giggles and laughter as this book was read aloud.

The illustration are crisp and colorful.
Robin
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A hilarious barnyard twist on the classic telephone game. Fun as a lap read or readaloud to a group, lends itself well to activities afterwards.
Tricia
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
While I am voice-impaired (meaning that I'm not as savvy as many who can change their voices smoothly during a reading), I see the value of this title for a reader who has the knack. In a farm setting, the game of telephone initiates with pig and as expected becomes all garbled and confused from animal to animal. It strikes me that this would be a cute puppet show adaptation (not solo but as a puppet team). Fun!
Miranda
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grace-reads
In rating a book that I read to my daughter, I rely mostly on her reaction. She loves this book, and will ask me to read it to her over and over. We've checked it out from the library 3 times now. So, I'll give it high marks just for that! Also, the animals are very cute and expressive, which is always a plus. :)
Kim Miner Litton
Nov 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
The simple concept behind this story is that Telephone is a silly game that never works, but is somehow always hilarious in the attempt. I love Czekaj's illustrations and humor, though I like Cat Secrets a bit more than this one.
Terri
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm not ashamed that I gave this 5 stars! Already I can see using this after playing a game of "Telephone" with a group of students. Use it in a lesson about how rumors get started, use it in a lesson about misunderstanding...Lots of potential here!
Sara
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pigs, preschool, farm
Kind of Mo Willemsy in illustration and speech bubble -- fun book for teaching language play? I sometimes find speech bubble books tricky in story time, but this one could work. Not really a story, just kind of a lot of wordplay. Would make a great lapsit book, for sure.
Samantha
Jul 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
A cumulative tale in which a pig whispers "Oink, pass it on" and every animal part of the chain adds a little something extra to the message. Great read aloud set against bright cartoon-y illustrations.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oink-a-Doodle-Moo: as the message gets passed on it will change as each animal adds something...kind of like a bill going through congress!
Beverly
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
An animal version of passing on a whispered word from person to person to see how changed it comes out at the end. In this case, it is animal sounds being passeed around.
Jacqueline
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved the game Telephone as a kid and this book just made me want to play the animal's version too!
Serina
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
just a fun book that doesn't take itself too seriously which is great for little kids. great read outloud where they get to make the sounds with.
storymamas
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you know a young reader you must read Jeff Czejak’s books with them! You will be laughing the entire time! We especially enjoy Oink-a-Doodle-Moo. The hilarity ensues when a pig starts the familiar game of telephone and says to another animal, “Psst...oink. Pass it on.” The telephone game is played across various farm animals, each one sharing with the next animal all the previous sounds and then they add their sound. My boys have now started saying, “psst” to each other when they want to tell ...more
James Bailey
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
A fun preschool book of animal sounds with a twist...by twist, I mean animal sound telephone game.
Kelly
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very silly and cute game of "telephone" with barnyard animals. The result was fantastic!
Round Lake Area Public Library
A fun story about passing along a secret which gets changed each time they pass the message. A great story for all different age groups.
Stephanie
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Yana D.
This is a great book for sharing at story time. All of the voices are sure to send little ones into a fit of giggles. Can be followed up with a game of telephone using animal noises like the book as well as different animal songs and finger plays. I loved it! It was hard for me to keep my composure when I got to the exasperated dog, but I managed.
Mollie B
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Perfect for storytime for preschoolers or toddlers. It's such an easy, funny book for kids to learn how easy miscommunication happens.
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
Do you remember that game you might have played as child, or discussed in Psych 101, where you sit in a circle and someone whispers a message in the ear of the person next to them who then whispers it to the person next to them, and so on around the circle.

That's the textual concept behind Oink-a-Doodle-Moo. For one day, apparently Pig decides to have some fun, and he/she goes 'psst' to rooster and says, "I have a secret". That secret turns out to be 'Oink'. Cute Rooster scurries off to tell Cow
Heidi-Marie
Another mix-up of the classic telephone game that will build the child's excitement and enjoyment as they see the additions to the message. Hilarious to see the poor dog struggle. And I didn't expect the ending, but it made me smile. Could work in a preschool storytime if I did maybe a call-and-repeat with what the animals pass on. And I could help them out if I had pictures of the animals up and pointed at which one so the kids could say what the animal does. But then maybe that would be too di ...more
Josie B.
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
I read this when I was filling in for a co-worker's "On My Own" storytime for 4 & 5 year olds. The children laughed and laughed every time a new mangled phrase was added. Afterwards we tried playing telephone, but they didn't quite get the "whisper" part. It was a fun storytime, and this book led naturally to talking about listening for sounds in words, the preschool level explanation of phonological awareness. I paired it with "Mr. Brown Can Moo" by Dr. Seuss.
Elaine
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Leslie
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute book my daughter checked out from our local library. Opened the discussion about how information may change when you play "telephone". Then that brought on a separate discussion on how I aged myself. LOL
Kelsey
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Age: Preschool - 1st grade

Looks like animals can play telephone, too. As the animal chatter travels, it becomes one conglomeration of animal gibber-jabber that is certainly hard to remember, as dog finds out. But don't worry, dog. Just start another!

Bold illustrations with comic speech bubbles.
Amy!
May 28, 2013 marked it as picture-books
I used this with my preschoolers, and they enjoyed repeating the animal sounds after me. I've also read it with two 6 year olds, who have really enjoyed then reading it to me and each other. This is a really fun book for beginning readers
Janet
Dec 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Another book using the old game of "Gossip" to see if the message remains the same when it reaches the final person. This time the barnyard animals are sending the message of their sounds. I am not fond of cartoon type illustrations so this title is not appealing to me.
jacky
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Picked this up out of the new section at the library for letter O week. We eventually got to it and Natalie liked it. She doesn't really understand the game of telephone yet, but she liked all the animal sounds.
Aug 21, 2012 added it
Shelves: picture-book
Telephone game played by farm animals with their respective sounds. Looks very simple but understanding this evolving concept is a bit advanced. Best for preschool or perhaps even school age kids, after which you should totally play the game!
  • This Little Chick
  • Two at the Zoo
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • Brief Thief
  • Dinosaur Kisses
  • Swim! Swim!
  • Small Saul
  • Huff & Puff
  • Don't Squish the Sasquatch!
  • I Know a Wee Piggy
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Barnyard Banter
  • I Am So Handsome
  • The Monkey Goes Bananas
  • Pass It On!
  • Two Little Monkeys
  • All Kinds of Kisses
Jef Czekaj is a cartoonist, children's book author and illustrator, and musician.

He has illustrated 4 books, and written and illustrated 6 picture books and one graphic novel. His books, Hip and Hop, Don't Stop! , Cat Secrets , The Circulatory Story , and Yes, Yes, Yaul!, were all chosen as Junior Library Guild selections. Cat Secrets was a finalist in GoodReads Best Books of 2011 and A Call
More about Jef Czekaj