Start by marking “Black List (Scot Harvath #12)” as Want to Read:
Black List (Scot Harvath #12)

Black List

(Scot Harvath #12)

Somewhere deep inside the United States government is a closely guarded list. Members of Congress never get to see it—only the President and a secret team of advisers. Once your name is on the list, it doesn’t come off . . . until you’re dead.

Someone has just added counterterrorism operative Scot Harvath’s name.

Somehow Harvath must evade the teams dispatched to kill him lo
Published July 24th 2012 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books

To ask other readers questions about Black List, please sign up.

Start your review of Black List (Scot Harvath #12)
Matthew
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 to 4 stars (if Goodreads allowed half stars, I would have gone 3.5)

I am kind of amazed that Brad Thor can write an entire book without too much ire thrown at the Middle East. While his usual target is Islamic extremists, this time the bad guys are a little closer to home. This is a good thing because the repetition of Muslim bad guys was getting a little old.

All of that aside, this book was pretty entertaining. For those who enjoy political thrillers, Thor is is a great author to check out.
Perry
Aug 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
A Dime-store Romance for Shit-kickers, Meat-heads & Misogynists

Another dime-store romance for cro-Mag dimwits, misogynists and shit-kicking rednecks and cowboys--apparently a burgeoning crowd.* Formula:

hollow characters [check],
connect the dots plot [check],
U.S. desperately in trouble [check],
European only exacerbates the problem [check, I specially like politely nipping a Brit's pompous bud]
a damsel in distress [optional, sometimes the heat's too much for the mamacitas, if ya know what I m
Brian Bixler
Aug 04, 2012 rated it liked it
There is only one direct allusion to "1984" in Brad Thor's "Black List," but an Orwellian world permeates every page. Thor creates a terrifying scenario of what would happen if the government's data-mining capabilities were turned on the American citizenry. By chapter 20, I was ready to take down my Facebook page, dismantle my cell phone and move to a cave somewhere.
When one character, a cyber genius, begins describing street lights with the ability to record video and audio of all who pass by,
Relic
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
You know, when you or I get into a car, we get into a car. And about 999 out of a 1000 authors would just write 'they/he/she got into a car'. Good enough, lets move on to the action.

Not good enough for Brad Thor. Characters don't get into cars. They 'transition' into cars. They also never 'resume' an interrupted activity, like you or I would. They 'transition back' to what they were doing. A chicken never crosses the road--it transitions. Considering the amount of time characters spend in this b
Mike (the Paladin)
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, action
Brad Thor's premiere protagonist Scott Harvath has been one tough....uh, umm, fellow, in the America's fight against terrorism for some time, but sadly all good things must come to an end. A new president and a new administration has decided to cut costs by cutting back on America's intelligence resources.

No problem. Scott has....marketable skills so he's now in the private sector. Still opposing terrorism but now for a private company. Unfortunately government "mismanagement" and....slight ove
Frances
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: past-favourites
A rather bleak picture of where our future is heading or one that has actually arrived. Brad Thor states at the beginning “all technology contained in his novel is based on systems currently deployed or in the final stages of development”. It is disquieting to realize how much spying is taking place on law abiding citizens. Engrossing thriller and one of his finest.
Larry Johnson
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just when I thought Thor's books couldn't get any better, he comes up with one that will make any reader paranoid. In this novel, Harvath's colleagues have been burned and he's next on the list. As he tries to find out why he discovers a plan that could destroy the country from within its borders and its government.

The scary thing is that while reading this book and comparing it to recent news articles concerning security and Americans' privacies I had to wonder just how close to reality is this
L.A. Starks
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Terri Lynn
I don't know why exactly I decided to read this. It was recommended to me on Goodreads but I have never read any Brad Thor novels and I am admittedly turned off by "heroes" who think having a career going out murdering people for the military or government agencies like the CIA or other official thug groups is just fine as can be with the justification that the USA is the god of the universe and in charge of everything on the planet.

Surprisingly, I liked it! I didn't like Scot at all but I enjo
Leander Grogan
Jul 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
I want to be honest and say I didn't read the entire book. By chapter 11 I couldn't take any more.

I want to repeat what I've said in earlier reviews. I believe each author pours his/her heart and soul into each project. I know I do. Thus, it is difficult to slam the hammer down on someone's work. I'll just say this book and I didn't get along well. The plot was plausible. But the sentences kept getting in the way.

Here are three examples:
----
Schroeder climbed out of his unimpressive yet efficient
Lorca Damon
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From GoodeReader.com eBook Reviews:

Verdict: 5-Stars

I sincerely hope that Brad Thor is just a great fiction writer because if he’s not, if he’s simply writing the truth, America is in a lot of trouble. According to Black List, the real bad guy is our own government. Worse, the people who are charged with keeping us safe are often in more danger from internal orders than the terrorists they hunt.

That was the feeling I got throughout Thor’s book. While it starts out as a great story about secret ag
Keri
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a good and scary read. Kept having to remind myself that this was just fiction. I am eager to see where BT is going with Scot. Is he going to finally allow him to find someone special that is ready to settle down and have a family. Never seen a character so ready to be a daddy. Now if he can just hang on to the baby's mama. :-) I also want to call BT a chicken for now detailing that last scene...come on...all authors are trying new things in their writing, you could have detailed that l ...more
Kay
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Black List, Harvath deals with domestic threat and government data collection. I find it exciting when Reed Carlton and his mentor did their old school spy thing.
Eric
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of gritty spy thrillers
I've seen Brad Thor's name countless times on book store shelves, but hadn't read anything by him until this book, which I picked up because of this interesting premise:

Someone has just added counterterrorism operative Scot Harvath’s name.

Somehow Harvath mu
Alec
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
In a change of pace from the typical Scot Harvath novel, Brad Thor has changed his protagonist's role from the hunter to the hunted in this novel. I thoroughly enjoyed this twist. Like most of these types of novels, the action starts early, is fast paced, and goes all the way through to the end. Unlike most of these types of novels, the action seemed semi-realistic and believable.

The scariest aspect of this novel is the premise upon which it is based. We, as a society, generate massive amounts o
Anthony
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anthony by: Nancy Kaufman
Shelves: fbi, novels
A review by Anthony T. Riggio of Brad Thor's “Black List”.

I had seen this book on the book shelves in books stores and chose to pass on reading it. It sounded like so many of the genre of books that deal with some former CIA, Delta Team member or Seal Team #(whatever). The hero is no longer in the service of their country but are hired on by one of the multitude of private contractors that seem to have become ubiquitous in the running of the government. It leads me to believe our “big and getti
Corey
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another entry in the awesome Scot Harvath series that I gotta put up there with Full Black, one of the best in the series! And this time, instead of fighting Terrorists across the globe, the action takes place a little closer to home.

Black List picks up right after Full Black, after a failed assassination attempt on Harvath's life, but resulting in the killing of one of his friends, Harvath realises that someone has added his name to a closely guarded list known as the Black List, it contains ta
Matt
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Thor, the master of his genre, has done it again. Turning his main character from covert hunter to black listed (pardon the pun) hunted, the high-paced action keeps the book moving and regular Thor readers are sure to enjoy the latest installment. Add to that the return of The Troll, that slightly off centre major/minor character and you have a jam packed book that is sure to be talked about for years to come. Insight into a truly shocking amount of surveillance at the fingertips of the United S ...more
Martin
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just wrapped up Brad Thor’s latest thriller, Black List, and found it nearly impossible to put down. Another Thor masterpiece, filled with fast-paced action, plenty of intrigue, and multiple plot twists that disrupted my sleep patterns and forced me to miss a meal or two. Scot Harvath is back, and he, along with the rest of the Carlton Group, is being hunted. Driven underground, Harvath calls in favors from an assortment of familiar friends to help him unravel the plot against him. Thor has cons ...more
Linda Root
Aug 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a one-sitting read. It has been a while since my husband and I read a Brad Thor book together on my laptop. I had forgotten how good Thor is in pacing his action sequonences. I had also forgotten the intensity of his views on moral issues of the day. Black List is more thought-provoking than most. WE all see hints of 1984 when I we see our purchases, likes and dislikes thrown back at us on the margins of the web sites we visit. I would not be shocked to learn that government is harvesti ...more
Jen
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I refuse to say. Because obviously the government is reading this review and adding it to my file. ;)
Reacherfan
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My personal favorite in this series and scary as it gets about technology can turn people's lives inside-out and control so much of our lives.
Monnie
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Although I really, really do enjoy reading Brad Thor's thrillers, they can get a bit ponderous when he takes off on several pages of ranting about one or more of the issues that are near and dear to his heart. Here, for instance, it is the potential for government misuse of personal information that's being collected as a result of ever-advancing technology: cell phones, social media websites, security cameras in retail establishments and such. But unlike the last few books, his message came thr ...more
Jeffrey
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
In Brad Thor's latest, Scot Harvath, is ambushed in Paris and barely escapes with his life, while his partner is killed and many of his fellow operatives for Carlton are also wiped out. Someone has put out a hit order on Harvath.

Meanwhile, the Troll, the master thief and computer hacker is contacted by a friend's sister with a computer memory card containing information about an organization known as ATS. ATS, which has close ties to the NSA, and is practically a shadow government, is a huge sec
Michael Adamchuk
The story starts off fast and never lets up. A secret US agency, a couple of corporate fronts and some opportunistic politicians are all involved in a battle that could end up with serious consequences. Scot Harvath is also in danger - his name is on the Black List - a listing here means a death sentence by the US government. While trying to figure out the plotting, Horvath must also try to find out who put his name on the list and why.
John Yelverton
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is a pretty scary tale about just what the government could do with electronic surveillance if it wanted to. I could have done without all of the foul language, but the story keeps you gripped to the pages until the very end.
Angela Austin
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just really enjoy this series.....
Darrold Pellegrom
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put it down.
Felipe Lerma
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was hesitant to write a review, there already being over 1300, the majority 4 and 5 star ratings. Plus I decided to read Black List just to expand my thriller reading. I've only recently begun reading "a lot" of thrillers, and frankly , hadn't heard of Mr Thor. Add that I thought, who's this guy with half a movie star's name and the other half one of my fav comic book boyhood heros!

Reading the poorer reviews only made me grit my teeth the more before starting the book anyway. I fully expected
Will
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All action adventure thriller fans
I don't often just post a subjective review without the plot summary, but that's what I'm doing now. Brad Thor has inherited the throne from 'may God bless his soul' Vince Flynn as the preeminent action adventure thriller novelist period. I was so blown away by the plot of BLACK LIST that I was taken back to the days of Vince Flynn's finest hour, TERM LIMITS. It's almost as if Thor made TERM LIMITS: Part Deux with BLACK LIST. To those of you who haven't endured the resume stamp of Government Mul ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: Black List 1 6 Dec 11, 2012 06:22AM

• The Last Man (Mitch Rapp, #13)
  • Enemy of Mine (Pike Logan, #3)
  • All Necessary Force (Pike Logan, #2)
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • The Forgotten Soldier (Pike Logan, #9)
  • The Polaris Protocol (Pike Logan, #5)
  • The Widow's Strike (Pike Logan, #4)
  • Days of Rage (Pike Logan, #6)
  • Pursuit of Honor (Mitch Rapp, #12)
  • Red War (Mitch Rapp, #17)
  • Coup d'Etat (Dewey Andreas, #2)
  • Exit Fee (Pike Logan #13.5)
  • Consent to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #8)
  • Act of Treason (Mitch Rapp, #9)
  • No Fortunate Son (Pike Logan, #7)
  • One Rough Man (Pike Logan, #1)
  • True Believer (James Reece, #2)
  • Extreme Measures (Mitch Rapp, #11)
Thank you for stopping by my GOODREADS author page.

My new thriller, NEAR DARK arrives on July 21st and is available for pre-order now.

I have also created an array of terrific bonus material for you at my web site BradThor.com and hope you will visit.

Happy reading!

Scot Harvath (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Lions of Lucerne (Scot Harvath, #1)
  • Path of the Assassin (Scot Harvath, #2)
  • State of the Union (Scot Harvath, #3)
  • Blowback (Scot Harvath, #4)
  • Takedown (Scot Harvath, #5)
  • The First Commandment (Scot Harvath, #6)
  • The Last Patriot (Scot Harvath, #7)
  • The Apostle (Scot Harvath, #8)
  • Foreign Influence (Scot Harvath, #9)
  • The Athena Project (Scott Harvath, #10)

News & Interviews

“You know when I told you the joke about how a friend will help you move, but a real friend will help you move a body? I was only kidding.” 30 likes
“You can't kill an American Citizen without benefit of a trial."
"I can if you're on the list, traitor."
"LIST? What list? What the hell are you talking about?"
BLACK LIST, July 24”