Start by marking “Report from Planet Midnight” as Want to Read:
Report from Planet Midnight

Report from Planet Midnight

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  240 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Infused with feminist, Afro-Caribbean views of the science fiction and fantasy genres, this collection of offbeat and highly original works takes aim at race and racism in literature. In “Report from Planet Midnight,” at the International Association of the Fantastic in the Arts, an alien addresses the crowd, evaluating Earth's "strange" customs, including the marginalizat ...more
Published July 17th 2012 by PM Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Report from Planet Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Report from Planet Midnight

Nikki
Apr 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I’ve meant to read something by Hopkinson for a while — in fact, at one point I was a chunk of the way through Midnight Robber. I’m not sure what happened then; had to give it back to the library, maybe? But I’ve been meaning to have another crack at it sometime soon, and this is definitely encouraging. The two short stories are well-crafted, and I especially love the voices she gives to Ariel and Caliban and Sycorax. I didn’t read it as the ‘house nigger’ and the ‘field nigger’, as some of the ...more
Shauna
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was fascinating. It really was an odd combination of things--two short stories, a speech, and an interview--but it served as a great introduction to Hopkinson's work.

I didn't much enjoy the fantasy story. It's not my thing as a genre, and it's based on The Tempest, a play I kind of hated. But I liked the sci-fi story, which had an interesting premise and a creepy child.

I most enjoyed her speech and her interview, which addressed racism in the sci-fi/fantasy community and in literature as a
John Defrog
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another selection from the PM Press Outspoken Authors series that also serves as my introduction to Nalo Hopkinson, whom I’d never head of before. That fact alone may lend credence to her criticism that the SF/F industry is dominated by straight white guys and thus is in need of a lot more diversity than it currently demonstrates. The title comes from a 2010 presentation at International Conference on the Fantastic in the Arts in which she tackles issues of race, racism and sexism in SF/F (and d ...more
Scott Neigh
I've read a few pieces of Hopkinson's work but not nearly enough, and this great little book has whetted my appetite for more. It contains two short-stories, both very good; the text of an important address on science fiction/fantasy and racism she gave to a convention during the fateful days of Racefail '09; and an enjoyable and thoughtful interview of her done by series editor Terry Bisson. Lots of good writing and important ideas in a very digestable package.
Kris
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
The stories were great, and I'll definitely be checking out more of her fiction. I thought the interview and the talk on race in SF were worth reading too, though they aren't the kind of thing I usually read. An author's interpretation of the future/alternate worlds is (obviously) hugely influenced by their present...I think it's so important to have (and read) SFF authors from a variety of backgrounds. I miss Octavia Butler.
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got this because it was available on my library overdrive and it was fascinating. I hadn't read any of Hopkinson's other books, and now I want to, and I think this would have been better if I already had.
Melanti
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Phoenixfalls
Shelves: anthology, library, 2013
This is a very thin volume (which is what originally caught my attention) and about half of this book is about race issues in science fiction - about 20 pages worth of a speech and another 30 pages of an interview.

I wasn't enamored with the two short stories (which is a surprise since I normally love her writing) but the non-fiction portions were fascinating. I really don't pay attention to the goings on in the fandom community and had never heard of "Racefail 2009", and since I really don't pay
Victoria
I enjoyed this short little chapbook. It's four chapters long, with a bibliography. Those chapters break down into two short stories, a speech/performance piece which took place at the International Conference of the Fantastic in the Arts (ICFA), and an interview. I really liked the format because I have a short attention span and it blended short bursts of fiction with chatter. I love chatter. Interviews are the best.

I loved that the speech from ICFA, from which the title is derived, is annotat
Malcolm
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alt-worlds
This short taster is a fine introduction to Nalo Hopkinson’s work – two short stories, a speech and an interview but all buzzing and bustling with smart, cheeky and provocative ideas that do the things good science fiction should do – entertain and suggest new ways of looking and seeing. ‘Message in a Bottle’, the first of the stories, disrupts our taken for granted ideas of childhood as a time of naïve gazing at the world weaving in an apocalyptic vision and the disruptive marvel that is time t ...more
Candis
Nov 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading this alongside Said's 'Representations of the Intellectual' and it - while unintentional - was a remarkably suitable pairing. Hopkinson's short stories are always compelling and wonderful reads, but their placement (short story, public lecture, short story, author interview) in this text grounds the story, the telling, Hopkinson as author, sci fi/fantasy as genre and political space (one that oppresses often but holds the potential for liberation/transformation/transgression/ ...more
Pamster
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
The first I've read in PM Press's Outspoken Authors series. Contained two great stories, a transcript of a talk she gave to a SF audience about race in SF, and an interview. The talk about race was given in the wake of a huge heated online dialogue about racism in the SF community. It was clearly a piece that she felt super vulnerable giving, and worked really hard on. I'm glad it's published. But reading it gave me that anxiety that you get reading idiocy online. Like, how hard she had to argue ...more
David
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Picked this up at the Bay Area Book Fest in Berkeley last weeekend. I'd read some of her fiction, and this looked interesting, as it includes a couple of short fictions, as well as a speech to a Sci-fi/Fantasy convention audience and an interview. The fictions are good, and the speech and the interview are both great. In the speech, she pretended to be taken over by a spirit that spoke through her -- I wish I had been present to see her do it (note to self: track down the video). Judging by the ...more
Sumayyah
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Containing 2 short stories, an interview, and a speech made after the great RaceFail '09, "Report From Planet Midnight" is a short book that makes me fall in love with Nalo Hopkinson over and over again. Hopkinson tackles race, identity, and mainstream publishing with a booming voice and steady pen. "Shift", one of the short stories, brings to mind (and uses the names of) some of the characters from Shakespeare's "The Tempest." In the interviews with Terry Bisson, Hopkinson offers a glimpse of h ...more
Jenn
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short collection with 2 short stories, a performance speech that provides the origins of the book title, and an interview. Most of the collection focuses on the intersectionality of race. Nalo's interview predominantly focuses on her experience as a black woman, in a white dominant and often white privileged field (the sci-fi/fantasy field). Her speech invokes her talents to provide a performance that helps open up a conversation of race. One short story is a new play on a classic Shakespeare pl ...more
Leif
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Nalo Hopkinson is an able writer, a courageous thinker, and a moving fabulist. This quick little book's collection of two stories, an interview, and a speech exposes the various sides of Hopkinson's writing personality to good effect, and if her speech demonstrates a contextually limited vision of theme and subject, the interview compensates in spades. Of the stories, the first is my favourite: chillingly defined, cleanly delineated, and lacking in external fluff. If you're looking for an introd ...more
Richard
May 26, 2016 rated it liked it
A very small collection but one that leaves you curious to find more by the author. Two well-crafted stories and a speech, as well as an interesting interview. It's all over almost before you know it, but it seems like a good introduction to the author's work and her interests.

The stories also hint that she has a way of approaching ideas such that you may think you know what point she'll be making when, in fact, she's going to take things in a different and novel direction. I look forward to fi
Lauren
I really enjoyed this little book. short story, speech, short story, interview. this is how the book is divided up and I found the progression to be spot on. all the pieces held my attention (and I usually have a hard time with interviews); I just flew through the book. definitely makes me want to check out more of the "outspoken authors" series. the end holds a bibliography of Hopkinson's writings which is also really handy if you are looking for more from her (which I am).
Benjamin
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-sf
I have a lot of catching up to do in contemporary SF and Fantasy and I am looking forward to it. I loved the Jamaican language and The Tempest references. The interview with Terry Bisson "Correcting the Balance" dropped enough names to happily fill more than a few shelves. Another win for the PM Press Outspoken Authors series.
Tanya
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nalo Hopkinson is my new hero. This collection is amazing. Her articulate views of race are amazing. I want to hear it applied to women, to sexual orientation. Nalo is astute and clear about it.

I can't wait to read a novel of hers.

I have to laugh at one cream-colored man giving this book three stars and saying that the stories are weird. He must read completely mainstream SF. But I give him cred for reading this book at all!
James
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
From PM Press’s series of radical genre works. This includes two short stories, an interview with Hopkinson, and the core piece, a lecture she gave on race, ethnicity, and science fiction. Of the two short stories, I liked “Message in a Bottle” – it was usefully creepy, if that phrase makes any sense at all. The lecture is very direct, which is probably a good thing. Science fiction fandom can miss more subtle critiques sometimes.
Marie
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my first book in the "Outspoken Authors" series and I definitely want to read more of them. The slender volume contains short fiction, an essay by Nalo (based on a keynote address she gave) and an interview. I loved how it gives you a round view of an author. Also I loved the story "Message in a Bottle". It was captivating.

I've met Nalo, she was one of my Clarion instructors, and she fed me fabulous curry, but this book made me fall in love with her.
Kevin
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a collection of two short stories, the transcript of a speech and an interview. The speech an interview were pretty fascinating, especially as she talked about racism in science fiction. In general, I'm not a fan of short stories, but the first story was pretty engaging, though it really left me wanting more. I didn't care for the second.
Fborlc
Jul 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
I picked this up at the library assuming it was a "novella+uncollected shorts" kind of thing. Actually it's two very short stories, a speech, an interview, and a bibliography. I liked one of the stories okay, didn't care for the other, and the non-fiction material was not engaging. Maybe this book would hold more interest for readers familiar with Hopkinson's larger body of work.
Jill
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016reads
Love. This is my first exposure to Nalo Hopkinson, and a) can't wait to read more of her, and b) love the format of this Outspoken Authors series and can't wait to read more of those. Short stories/speeches/essays/interviews, all of which are a great way to introduce an author's themes. And Hopkinson's direct effort to diversify representations in sci fi is GREAT. Yay, all around.
Oliver
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who want to see critiques of race & gender in SF
Recommended to Oliver by: professor
A brilliant read. First author I've encountered besides Atwood & LeGuin speaking of race & gender in sci-fi and fantasy (which may mean I am not looking hard enough!). So tired of reading white dudes, I am inspired to read more Caribbean lit. I am hoping to check the anthologies she's edited out of my university library once the semester is over.
McArthur Library Staff Picks
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: staff-picks, fiction
Looking to try a science fiction author who doesn't write the typical cookie-cutter stuff? Then try out the two short stories in this little volume. I bet you'll be interested to read more by her afterwards!
Daniel Burton-Rose
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Man, is the first story in this collection CREEPY! The transcript of Hopkinson's talk to a fantasy convention on sci-fi fandom's racism deserves thinking on. I like the interviews always included in PM's Outspoken Authors series.
Howard Cohen
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Part of PM Press' Outspoken Authors series. Definitely want to check out more of them [in addition to more by Hopkinson]. The book is a nice mix of 2 short stories, the text of a speech, an interview transcript and bibliography.
Jenny
Apr 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jenny by: KOP
Shelves: subject-matter
This Nalo sampler--two short stories, one interview, and one speech--made me want to drive to UC Riverside to meet her in person. Read if you believe in centering POC in science fiction and fantasy.
Ctny
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nalo is all the good things we overlook. Her writing splendid.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bending The Landscape: Science Fiction
  • Beyond: the Queer Sci-Fi & Fantasy Comic Anthology
  • The Collection: Short Fiction from the Transgender Vanguard
  • Blood, Marriage, Wine, & Glitter
Nalo Hopkinson is a Jamaican-born writer and editor who lives in Canada. Her science fiction and fantasy novels and short stories often draw on Caribbean history and language, and its traditions of oral and written storytelling.

More about Nalo Hopkinson...