Start by marking “The Truth Behind A Series of Unfortunate Events: Eyeballs, Leeches, Hypnotism and Orphans --- Exploring Lemony Snicket's World” as Want to Read:

3.22  ·  Rating details ·  227 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The ultimate companion guide to A Series of Unfortunate Events--a must for fans of Lemony Snicket.

A Series of Unfortunate Events is one of the most popular children's series in the world and will be a major motion picture starring Jim Carrey and Meryl Streep coming this 2004 holiday season. Now comes The Reader's Guide to Lemony Snicket, the ultimate companion guide to the
Published October 7th 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Truth Behind A Series of Unfortunate Events, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Truth Behind A Series of Unfortunate Events

Jan 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Some libraries place this in the fiction section with the other Lemony Snicket books (it is written by Lois H. Gresh and published by a different company); others surprisingly place it in the non-fiction literature section. This book claims to delve into the truth of the Lemony Snicket series and answer such questions as: "what legal rights do orphans have; can someone be allergic to peppermints; how would your friends break the spells [of hypnotism]". However, if you are seeking the real answer ...more
May 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
I had a love hate relationship with this book. While the concept was fun, and the science was pretty good. I didn't actually finish reading the entire book, because I had to stop reading when the author started speculating about things that were actually explained in the books. That apparently our author Lois Gresh, didn't notice. I could forgive this a little bit, but they are rather big things that the author didn't notice, and for that I couldn't read the speculations.

I do think it's a fun id
Lillian Elliott
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it

I read this book because it was on my bookshelf and I didn't feel like searching for a good book the night I started it, so I grabbed the first thing I saw. It was entertaining and semi-informative, which was its goal. It wasn't a particularly good book, but it was a fun, quick read and I learned a few things. Lois H. Gresh talks about the real ideas behind events from Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. I thought it would be similar to the Magic Tree House books that accompany the

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Mechele R. Dillard for

Ever heard of an automatic harmonica? Need to learn to pick a lock? Did you know there are 650 species of leeches? Fans of the Lemony Snicket series A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS will want to keep this unauthorized companion handy, and newcomers will find Gresh's "Ultimate Book Report about Lemony Snicket" (p. 192) a helpful resource when diving into the series for the first time.

Gresh's main goal appears to be to easily flow learning opportun
Erin O'Riordan
Young readers who are very curious about science and who also like the Lemony Snicket books will enjoy this complementary volume. Young biology enthusiasts may find themselves fascinated with the discussions of fungi, leeches and snakes. Personally, I thought some of the chapters were a little long-winded and a bit boring. If you're not so much a science fan and looking for more insight into the Baudelaires, read Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography.
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not quite what I was looking for as for answers to Lenomy Snicket. Written before book 13, it was more of a research into if some creatures and events could have realisticly happened to the orphans. A good addition for younger readers who do not have a clear understanding or want to know more about horseradish and Leeches!
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an extremely fun/funny book. It'd be a great one to read to little kids (especially little brothers and nephews). As far as the included quizzes go... well, just don't dive into this thinking you already know everything. :) 4 stars for the combination of wit, humor, and information. It was, overall, put together very well, and is a relaxing easy read.
Sonia Jarmula
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I learned a lot from this book, interesting tidbits and history that makes a person interesting and intelligent, but the author really annoyed me, too obviously trying to be funny and failing completely.
Michelle Wardhaugh
I think this is an enjoyable accompanyment to the series. It is written in much the same style as Snickett's books. It also gives a lot of fun facts with a few inventive fictions to keep you guessing.
Tina Rae
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ASOUE fans
I actually really liked this book. It was almost as good or just as good as the actual ASOUE books. The author writes a lot like Lemony Snicket. Or maybe it really is Lemony Snicket. Who knows? Anyway, great, great book.
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
The author has a wonderful voice throughout the book. My only disagreement is that I don't like how there are a pages of facts jutted in between pages of the main body. Apart from that, trying to write like Lemony but not making me cringe or throw it against the wall.
Shianne Cokely
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
I've read a lot of the lemony snickett books and this one just didn't make sense to me. The author contradicted themselves. I wouldn't recommend the book.
Aug 28, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Puzzling Puzzles: Bothersome Games Which Will Bother Some People
  • The Horny Night Gaunt
  • How to Dress for Every Occasion by the Pope
  • The Vampire Survival Guide: How to Fight, and Win, Against the Undead (Zen of Zombie Series)
  • The Bridesmaid Guide: Etiquette, Parties, and Being Fabulous
  • Beetle Boy
  • The Big Book of Boy Stuff
  • Civilization, Society and Religions: Group Psychology and the Analysis of the Ego/Future of an Illusion/Civilization and Its Discontents
  • Juggling for the Complete Klutz
  • Cleopatra and Her Asp
  • Your Skirt's Too Short: Sex, Power, Choice
  • The Gorgeous Georgians and the Vile Victorians
  • Blink-182: Tales from Beneath Your Mom
  • The Howler (The Nightmare Room, #7)
  • A Patch of Darkness (Sierra Fox, #1)
LOIS H. GRESH is the New York Times Bestselling Author (6 times) and USA Today Bestselling Author (thrillers) of 30 books and more than 65 short stories. Look for SHERLOCK HOLMES VS. CTHULHU #1: THE ADVENTURE OF THE DEADLY DIMENSIONS (Titan Books, April 2017), the first in a new trilogy of Sherlock Holmes thrillers from England's premier publisher of all things Holmes, with Random House distributi ...more
More about Lois H. Gresh...

Nonfiction Deals