Start by marking “Doctor Who Series 2 Volume 3: It Came from Outer Space” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who Series 2 Volume 3: It Came from Outer Space

Doctor Who Series 2 Volume 3: It Came from Outer Space (Doctor Who Series 2 (2011) #3)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  168 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The Doctor, Amy, Rory, and new travelling companion Kevin - a cybernetic dinosaur - find a scientific crew under attack from a giant, Cthulhloid space squid. Also, the crew find themselves inside an alien asylum and discover that many of the human patients within actually house the minds of some of the Doctor's most terrifying enemies.
Published March 20th 2012 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who Series 2 Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who Series 2 Volume 3

Elisa
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Oh, where do I start? Well, I picked this one up because I love Doctor Who and I love graphic novels. Plus it stars the Eleventh Doctor, so why not? I'm also a big fan of Tony Lee's work, so it was bound to be good, right? Yeah, not really...

I start reading the first story, "Space Squid," and a few pages in we are introduced to Commander KATIC and Major FILLION. My first thought is, huh... someone's a "Castle" fan. Slightly annoyed that 1) Lee couldn't be bothered to create original character na
Jeanna
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
It's Doctor Who, of course I liked it.
Andy Hickman
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
DOCTOR WHO Series 2, Volume 3 – It Came From Outer Space (Eleventh Doctor)
SPACE SQUID
Kevin the dinosaur: “It’s so..”
Doctor: “Bigger on the inside. I know. Let’s skip all that and move on to something fun!”
Kevin: “.. actually, I was going to say, ‘claustrophobic’.” (p1)

Han Solo stylized character: “You keep talking of this Space Squid, but where is it? Eh? Hokey religions and magic cephalopods are no substitute for a good blaster at your side!”

BODY SNATCHED Part 1
The transfer machine impacts Do
Callie Rose Tyler
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, doctor-who
2 1/2 Stars

I was tricked, this book has a cool cover but is filled with mediocre stories.

The first story, Space Squid started out very promising! The reader is given a montage of adventures featuring the newly acquired companion Kevin, a T-Rex robot (see Doctor Who II Volume 2: When Worlds Collide). However, the rest of the story is rushed and a feels like it was lazily put together.

Body Snatched Is the next story, and it is the longest; told over 2 issues. This story definitely had the most pot
Kaethe
Natasha and I have been really enjoying these. Kevin is now my favorite character. I recommend the graphic novels and the only associated novel I've so far read, Doctor Who: Plague of the Cybermen, as well as the show itself and the vigorous fandom of Twitter as a good shared-family sort of interest. [Veronica loves the show, but prefers her reading more contemporary and realistic]. The graphic novels are providing a good way for me to keep in parallel with Natasha, even though I'm mostly not re ...more
Shannon Appelcline
“Space Squid” is fun mostly for its inclusion of Kevin, but otherwise is pretty forgettable [6/10]. “Body Switched” feels equally light, with its main strength being the body switching premise, which is never used to particularly great effect [6/10]. “Silent Knight” is totally shallow but fun & funny; it’s actually a comic without words done well, which is pretty rare [7/10]. Flakov’s “Run, Doctor, Run” is unfortunately even more shallow, so that there’s nothing to it [5/10]. The last two st ...more
Jacquie
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The third installment was wonderful, full of awesome stories. The first is "Space Squid" which is about, well, a giant space squid. Team TARDIS has picked up a new companion too...a robotic T-Rex named Kevin. The other stories are "Body Snatched" in which there is some pretty crazy/funny body switching, "Silent Knight" a short one with no dialogue about the Doctor saving Christmas, "Run, Doctor, Run" where the Doctor meets a race of gravitational shifters (think M.C. Escher), "Down to Earth" abo ...more
Ian Williamson
Compared to the previous volumes, this one was quite disappointing!!! The stories vary in quality and the writers use this collection as an experiment in story telling. Some are amazing and hits some emotional chords whereas others struggle. The major plus side here is the artwork, it impresses throughout and even with different styles the quality never drops. Plenty of geek littered Easter eggs including an entire space station crew been named after the main cast of the hit show Castle. Hopeful ...more
Demian Katz
Another volume containing a variety of stories of various lengths, art styles and tones, ranging from some fairly by-the-numbers run-arounds to a completely silly and nearly dialogue-free Christmas story. While I liked some bits more than others, I can't say that anything particularly stood out, and I don't expect to remember a single detail of this by the time I wake up tomorrow. Just the usual blur of obnoxious, unfunny tongue-in-cheek quips and heavy-handed, repetitive, catchphrase-oriented c ...more
Julia
This is six “short stories” about the Eleventh Doctor told as graphic novels, some have better stories than others, some have jarring art. “Space Squid” has a robot t- rex traveling with Rory, Amy and the Doctor, named Kevin. “Body Snatched” has the Doctor’s and Amy’s personalities switched and this is one whose art I don’t like. “Silent Knight” is a nearly wordless adventure where the Doctor and Santa help each other out.
James Bowman
Sep 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, comics, dr-who
(This review covers Series 2 Volume 2 and Volume 3.)

Entertaining series of Eleventh Doctor adventures. The main writer is a bit shallow with his characterizations, and uses really similar plot twists in the main stories of both volumes, but he still has some interesting ideas. Some of the stand-alone stories in the third volume are rather good in and of themselves, too.
Li
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This edition is made up of 6 stories. I enjoyed all except Body Snatchers (#2). The art wasn't great and the story was really hard to follow. Too much babble.
My favorite stories were 4-6 because I felt they truly captured the spirit of Doctor Who.

I love reading this series because I get to have new adventures with 11, Amy, & Rory. I miss them so much!
Paul Warner
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent collection of 6 additional Doctor Who adventures in graphic novel format, all taking place with Doctor #11, Amy Pond, & Rory. My personal favorite moments were when Amy & The Doctor switch bodies, and when Amy raises an army to defeat evil using only a spork! :)
David
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The largest portion of the book, the story illustrated by Michael Dow Smith is terrific. He's a wonderful artist, very Mike Mignola-esque. And that story is just as good as you'd see on TV. The other stories are forgettable fluff.
Thebruce1314
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is just what I wanted in a Doctor Who collection: a variety of stories and artwork. Not every plotline was amazing, but I loved the fact that there were several shorter, self-contained stories in this volume. Definitely my favourite one yet.
Tammy
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gotta love the Eleventh Doctor in comic book form. Comic books are cool! #12BooksofChristmas
Francesco
Interessante, ma non è altro che un'antologia di storie brevi non collegate tra loro
Sara Habein
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, e-book, graphic-novel
More of a 3.5, but the Body Snatchers story was really excellent, so let's round up.
Theresa
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Love Kevin!
Dave Jones
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read.
Kate
Who plus nerd-culture references (Castle, Portal, Escher) AND the coolest robot T-Rex named Kevin that you'll ever meet.
Joshua
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!!
Andrew Huey
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
This is a mixed bag of short stories. I liked them all. The Paul Grist Christmas story is especially fun.
Charlotte
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it
A robotic dinosaur companion called Kevin and a Doctor-Amy body swap. What's not to like.
Richard Noble
Sabine
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Doctor Who: Series 2: Volume 4: As Time Goes By
  • Doctor Who Series III, Vol. 3: Sky Jacks!
  • Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time, Volume 1
  • Doctor Who: Interference - Book One
  • Doctor Who: The Infinity Doctors
  • Doctor Who Classics Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Doctor Who: The Infinity Race
A New York Times Best-selling Graphic Novelist, Tony Lee was born in West London, UK in 1970. Informed by a teacher that he had a comic book style of writing, (a comment meant more as an insult), Tony decided that one day he would write for comics.

Tony has written for a variety of mediums including Radio 4, The BBC, commerical television in both the UK and US, magazines and both local and national
More about Tony Lee...

Doctor Who Series 2 (2011) (5 books)
  • Doctor Who Series 2 Volume 1: The Ripper