Start by marking “Don't Bite the Messenger (NIght Runner, #0,5)” as Want to Read:
Don't Bite the Messenger (NIght Runner, #0,5)

Don't Bite the Messenger

(Night Runner 0.5)

Anchorage, Alaska

The vampire population may have created an economic boom in Alaska, but their altered energy field fries most technology. They rely on hard-living--and short-lived--couriers to get business done...couriers like Sydney Kildare.

Sydney has survived to the ripe old age of twenty-six by being careful. She's careful when navigating her tempestuous clients, outru
Published January 16th 2012 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Don't Bite the Messenger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Bite the Messenger

Rane
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Regan Summers went out there and put a new twist on an old tale of vampires. Stuck in the middle of Alaska, our messenger Sydney is stuck in the middle of a heated vampire turf war and needs to get out playing the vampire messenger before she's the next casualty in the undead war.

This story was very gripping from page one with action and the flow of the characters it was very easy to get into.

Sydney has a gift that helps her not fall under the mind control of vampires, this saves her neck in
Jen Davis
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sidney earns her living as a messenger, delivering mostly to the vampires of her little corner of Alaska. It's dangerous work, with a short life expectancy. The excitement and the money satisfy her --and Sidney is good at her job. But she knows she can't do it forever. It's not only the danger, but the lonely life she must lead to keep her identity safe from the vampire population.

She has few friends and no romantic life to speak of, until she comes across a sexy man in a bar, while trying to hi
Catherine
Reading this story was quite a departure for me. I am not a fan of short stories, so it’s rare that you’ll see me reading novellas or anthologies. But I was browsing through some of the books offered for review and found my attention caught by this. It was set in Alaska. There. That’s my whole reason for choosing it. LOL. I found the rest of the blurb intriguing too, but the Alaska thing is what really convinced me. I am quite familiar with Alaska, especially Anchorage, so I am always surprised ...more
Alisha
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: vamp fans looking for a slightly different angle
Rating: 3.5
(Originally posted at Book Lovers Inc)

I must say, this story has a fantastic premise. In Don’t Bite the Messenger, Vampires are physically averse to most modern technological conveniences, and must thus rely on human “runners” to transport messages, money, and whatever else. It makes room for much more nuance in the power structure amongst vampires and toward humans—the dynamic is not just that of hunter and prey. There are also a number of smaller details about the vamps in this tale
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.com.

Expected Release Date: January 16, 2012 (Available Now!)
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: Carina Press
Author’s Website: http://regansummers.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1, Vampire Messengers
Series Best Read In Order: N/A
Steam Level: Steamy

Vampires are real, and are even productive members of society. However, vampires have one trait that makes it impossible for them to mix in with la
Aimee Laine
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm a follower of Regan Summers' and her alter-ego on Twitter and Facebook and love the humor she infuses in her daily life spotlights. I expected/hoped I would see the same in Don't Bite the Messenger and there, I did!

The story follows one very unique character, "Mary" aka Sydney Kildaire, as she goes from manic vampire courier in Alaska to retiree in sunny Hawaii. Of course, her plans and what actually happens are 100% different than she expects them to be.

Sydney is a character in and of herse
Critique de Book
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Title: Don't Bite the Messenger
Author: Regan Summers
Genre: Paranormal (Vampire) Romance [novella]
Publisher: Carina Press (January 16, 2011)
Available: $3.19 at Amazon
Rating: 5 stars
Rater: Lauri

Plot summary: Syd - "Mary" - works as a messenger. For vamps. In the Anchorage, Alaska darkness. And she takes her life into her hands every time she does. To avoid being bespelled, tracked, trapped, and claimed, Syd must change her appearance and mask her personal scent every day, and she, as smart messeng
Jenny Schwartz
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a fan of vampire novels - always excepting the vampires in Patricia Briggs' werewolf stories! But I'm glad I made an exception and read "Don't Bite the Messenger".

In wandering around the net I've heard grumbles about the passivity or even victim status of women in vampire novels. They are "rescued" by abusive men aka the vampires.

"Don't Bite the Messenger" kicks that trope over and stomps on it. The heroine has suffered abuse ... and survived it, remade herself, triumphed. The strong h
Alexandra G.
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novella
3 stars

A good start. It was pretty interesting. I just hope the next one is just as good.
E_bookpushers
Review originally posted at The Bookpushers: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/02/03/...

Publisher: Carina Press
Publish Date: Out now
How I got this book: Purchased

Anchorage, Alaska

The vampire population may have created an economic boom in Alaska, but their altered energy field fries most technology. They rely on hard-living—and short-lived—couriers to get business done…couriers like Sydney Kildare. Sydney has survived to the ripe old age of twenty-six by being careful. She’s careful when navigating
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
An outstanding, original vampire novella you'll read in one sitting!

Sydney Kildare, known as Mary to the world, lives a life of constant change. As a vampire courier, she is constantly on the move and has remained alive due to her discretion and chameleon ways. Even a night out can be dangerous in her line of work, needless to say, Sydney's social life is near non-existent. While having some drinks with her fellow couriers, Sydney is spotted by vampires and soon is caught in a life threatening
Marlene
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read all my reviews at http://www.readingreality.net
Don't Bite the Messenger by Regan Summers was every bit as intriguing an idea as it sounded when I read the description. And every bit as much fun to read.

Vampires would love Alaska in the winter. The nights are close to endless. But the summers would have to suck. And not in a good way.

The idea that vampire powers would also fry electronic technology made for an interesting start to this story. There are already people who go to Alaska for a s
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/01/...

Sydney Kildare is a vampire courier in Alaska, and it’s not a job for the faint of heart. Navigating the powerful world of vamp politics and wheeling and dealing, while keeping not only her wits about her, but her blood in her body, isn’t easy, and she’s one of the best in the biz. However, the stress is taking its toll, and she’s ready to pack it in and retire to a beach house on the shores of Oahu. Then she meets Malcolm
Sara
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This novella is a prequel to a promising new series taking place in Anchorage, Alaska.

Vampires are not only real but humans are aware of their existence and are accepting due in large part to their ability to help out in a failing economy but their altered energy field fries most technology. So they are forced to rely on old fashion human messenger couriers like Sidney Kildare.
Being a messenger for vampires is a dangerous job. Hazardous road conditions, creepy clients, competitors trying to in
Jenn
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Don't Bite the Messenger is a fun novella with lots of energy and explosions. I wanted to read it because I thought Regan Summers' concept was great: vampires can't use technology so they have to rely on human runners to deliver messages, documents, etc. I also loved the idea of a book set in Alaska. It doesn't happen all that often (though I can think of a couple stories that do use this setting, like Kelley Armstrong's Frostbitten or Marcus Peligrimas' Blood Blade) and I love it when an author ...more
Nicki Markus
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-paranormal
This is a 90 page novella/short novel that I read in one go over the space of an hour. I have been unsure quite how to rate this one but have opted for a three stars in the end. Let me start with the good aspects of the book and the reason for the three star rating.

What I loved about this book was the brilliant and original premise. It is what caught my interest when I first requested the book and is the reason I read to the end. A world of vampire businessmen and human couriers is a great idea
Lexie
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
To be fair, even though I'd put this in my romance category for organizing purposes, this isn't a romance first and foremost.  There is a romance, and it becomes important, but the larger emphasis is on Sydney's unique talent of staying alive in a profession that almost requires its employees to die horribly.  That profession is being a 'Runner' for vampires.  Sydney does have an advantage most others don't, but the fact remains she's alive and living far longer than most.

The pace of this novell
Stacy
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sydney is a courier for the vamps and I found her job to be fun and exciting. I could so picture people doing that and it was fun to learn how she had to change her appearance all the time and keep her real identity a secret. The opening scene was full of action as she raced to complete a run so that we got an instant taste of her job. Sydney takes her job seriously and kinda lives the part but she is still down to earth and easy to like. Because of her job she hasn't really had time for romance ...more
Betsy Horvath
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really, really, really liked this novella. It's well written, fast-paced, has wonderful characters and an intriguing premise. But the reason I gave it 4 stars (well, really 4.5) instead of 5 is because I wanted more! If it had been a novel instead of a novella, we could have seen the relationship between Sydney and Malcolm grow, and maybe get more detail on the vampire politics playing out "offstage" in the story. However, I was delighted to see that the novella had an open ending - it gives m ...more
Ann
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very much enjoyed this fast-paced novella. It's well-written and set somewhere very different from your average Urban Fantasy: Alaska. And in the mythology of the world, it makes sense--if you're a vampire and you can't be in sunlight, spend time in places where there are long stretches of darkness!

My only complaint is that I want more. While the story arc wrapped up (that is, I don't think it had a cliff-hanger ending), it's plain that the character arcs aren't done.

I'm looking forward to seein
Tracy
Dec 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not normally one for novellas, but I'm glad I read this one.

Whether you love any-and-all vampire stories, or you're worn out on the run-of-the-mill "wimpy vamp" tales out there and want a different twist, this is a good read. It's fast paced with lots of action, a heroine who's tough without being so prickly you can't stand her, and a super hot hero you become attached to in a surprisingly short time.

Definitely worth the time.
Bettielee
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
If this was a movie, the voice over would say it is a rattle-trap bang thrillride. :) A very exciting UF with sexy vampires, good worldbuilding, explosions, sexy vampires... A lot of fun. My only complaint is that it's too short. I hope there's a follow up novel.
Nicole Luiken
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Pure fun. Fast cars, vampires, a feisty heroine, hot romance, lots of action, and an unusual setting. I loved the idea of mobster vampires who migrate from pole to pole to catch those longer days.
Dakota
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
not bad for a prologue to the series, am interested in continuing the series
Teresa Crumpton
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Don't Bite the Messenger by Regan Summers
Pub date January 16, 2012

This review is a somewhat different kettle of fish. It’s a review and article all in one. Why am I writing this review this way, because I’m not sure how I feel about this story? I mean don’t get me wrong I enjoyed it but I wanted more. Don’t Bite the Messenger is only 32000 words and only six chapters long. It was more of a novella instead of a novel, which I’m okay with but at the end of chapter six there could have been more. I
Rachel
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
TLDR Recap:

In Anchorage, Alaska, twenty-six year old Sydney Kildare is a courier for vampires. Born with a natural immunity to the vamps’ allure, she is the perfect woman for any job that requires a messenger, but that hardly means she’s safe. She unexpectedly finds herself caught up in a vampire turf war, and must rely on Malcolm, a sexy, mysterious stranger who always seems to know when Sydney’s in trouble, for help. But if she’s not careful, this last assignment may prove to be Sydney’s last…
Tracy
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
~* 3.5 Stars *~
A Good Start

Being a courier for the technologically challenged vampire population is a balls-to-the-wall adrenaline rush that pays very well, but it doesn't come with any of those nifty bennies that safer, tamer jobs offer. Like a long life. In fact, at twenty-six, Sydney Kildare is the oldest runner in Anchorage, and she's just a few runs shy of her goal of retiring somewhere hot and sunny. And vampire-free.

Unfortunately for Sydney, one of her runs lands her smack in the middle o
Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/)
I read this novella only because the full-length book that follows it is set in Santiago de Chile. Pretty much every single romance novel I’ve read that’s been set in South America has been set in the jungle, rather than in a setting that looks anything like where I’m from, even though there’s as much non-jungle as there is jungle in the continent. Santiago isn’t Montevideo, but at least we’re talking about a Southern Cone urban setting, which I thought would be interesting.

Someone mentioned, th
Scooper Speaks
Dec 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Favorite Lines: "Vampire blood: the elixir of life, the medical miracle. If only the side effects didn't hit one out of ten lappers. Blood-bonding, an artful phrasing of dependency on your donor. If you didn't drink regularly, you'd suffer permanent loss of reason. Cardiac arrest. And I had no idea what it might do to me." (p. 35, egalley)

Don't Bite the Messenger is a short, fast paced story which took little time to read. Regan Summers has taken the idea of vampires, set them in Alaska (it gets
Nazish Ahmed (Nazish Reads)
I just reviewed this on my blog a few hours ago (yesterday).
To view the full review, click here Don’t Bite the Messenger By Regan Summers

This is going to be a shorter review than my previous ones because this is a really short novel.

I don’t know if this is the start of a series or if this is a standalone novella, from reading it, it seems like a good start to a great series.

A few of the things that I loved about this book was the original idea. It’s what caught my interest (mostly) when I was s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Stubborn Dead (Lost Souls #1)
  • Banshee Charmer (Files of the Otherworlder Enforcement Agency #1)
  • The Last Slayer (The Heartstone Trilogy #1)
  • Risking Eternity (Timeshifters #1)
  • Roses & Thorns (The Rose Trilogy, #1.5)
  • Merrick's Destiny (Bloodhounds, #1.5)
  • Vampire Betrayed (Vampires Destined #3)
  • Altered Destiny
  • Chain Reaction (8th Wing, #2)
  • Broods of Fenrir (Broods of Fenrir, #1)
  • A Demon Does It Better (Hex, #6)
  • Infernal Affairs (OSI #4)
  • Priestess of the Nile (The Gods of Egypt, #1)
  • Chase Me (Underbelly Chronicles #2)
  • Delighting in Your Company
  • Shadowed Soul (1Night Stand, #41)
  • Frostbound (The Dark Forgotten, #4)
  • Nephilim
Author of the Night Runner series, Regan Summers lives in Anchorage, Alaska with her husband and alien-monkey hybrid of a child. She can suspend disbelief in the space of a heartbeat, and believes that hard work leads to happiness (so long as one can overlook the misery of hard work, that is).

Night Runner (2 books)
  • Running in the Dark (Night Runner, #1)
  • Falling from the Light  (Night Runner, #2)
“They waited… all real nerves and false confidence” 1 likes