Start by marking “Night of Camp David” as Want to Read:
Night of Camp David

Night of Camp David

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Published June 1st 1980 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Night of Camp David, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of Camp David

Amy
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
What the hell, Grandma.
Tim Petersik
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What does a lawmaker do when he's convinced the president of the United States is insane? Here's a plausible scenario. Older book, but still relevant and thrilling.
Christopher Saunders
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-reads
An ambitious young Senator realizes that the President of the United States has gone insane, and frantically tries to convince his colleagues before he acts on his strange impulses. Poor thriller by the author of Seven Days in May starts with an interesting premise, then bogs down in an overcomplicated plot; who cares about the protagonist's philandering or the President's choice of running mate when the fate of the Republic hangs in the balance? Not to mention the actual cause of his suspicions ...more
James
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fletcher Knebel 's first book written without Charles W. Bailey II, this is a worthy follow up to "Seven Days in May". This time, a junior senator from Iowa is asked to meet with the President at Camp David; the result of the meeting is that the senator begins to believe that the President is becoming clinically paranoid and is descending into madness.

Writing in 1965, Knebel tries, and for the most part succeeds, to keep the tone matter of fact and eschews melodramatic flourishes in favor of doc
Carla Coon
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
It was a good read altogether. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough sympathy for Jim Mcveigh's character. His affair and quick & easy make up with the wife was more of a man's fantasy than reality. The president and his crazy ideas were portrayed well. Too, the inner workings of Washington and secret meetings within the Democratic party leaders were well done.The ending was anti-climatic for me. I think the author could have gone somewhere exciting threat-wise, the president's finger on the b ...more
Joe
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a political thriller written in 1965 about a young senator who begins to suspect that the President of the United States has gone insane. The first clue? The president wants to enact a federal wiretapping law that would let him listen in on and store the phone conversations of US citizens. Crazy, right?
Del B
Mar 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Is the President of the US cracking under pressure? Does anyone see it? What are the dangers to the world?

The President decides he needs a new VEEP. One night at Camp David he blurts out his crazy plot. Should his running mate tell? Will anyone believe him? What should he do?

Good political drama by the master, Fletcher Knebel.
Kristin
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Well...it was a rather interesting read, actually. But, the ending was such an utter disappointment. As if the author just got tired of reading and so ended it.
Ratratrat
beh, thriller non è proprio, l'idea è simpatica, portata avanti abbastanza logicamente, conclusione poco colpo di scena, però si legge scorrevolmente, romanzi in cui almeno non c'è un "cazzo" ad ogni frase come in quelli contemporanei. Meno avvincente di Sette giorni a maggio. Forse me lo avevano regalato per i miei 18 anni..
Lori
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 My dad found this book on his shelf and gave it to me. The premise is intriguing -- the POTUS starts to act weirdly and his sanity comes into question -- but the story doesn't really gather any steam and sort of just peters out. Definitely a but scary, though, considering our current times.
Sean
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A possibly unstable president, tries to make the US and Canada one country. A potboiler of greatness
Robert
Oct 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, politics
It was about 50 years ago when I first saw a book club promo for this book, stating something like "What if the President of the United States went stark-raving mad?" Given the probable outcome of this upcoming (2016) election, I decided it was time to begin wondering.

I was a little disappointed with this book. It's well-written and, at times, suspenseful. But it is a little bit too predictable and the characters seem more like movie magazine stereotypes than real-life political sleazeballs.
Canavan
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
✭✭ ...more
Jed
Jan 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Pretty bad, if it weren't the only thing I hadn't yet read at the youth hostel I probably would have quit halfway through. Camp value, I guess.
Michael Burhans
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: political
What would happen if the President started cracking up? A bit dated today, but a good yarn still.
Mike Taylor
Apr 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Not what I expected. Political mystery, average amount of intrigue but a weak finish. Easy to follow.
Nancy Shaffer
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
An old book, loaned from a friend, was really a very good novel.
Michael
Aug 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
About what would happen if a sitting president lost his mind, this book is great until the conclusion, which is awful.
Soriambi
Dec 08, 2012
Timo
Dec 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Fletcher Knebel was an American author of several popular works of political fiction.

He graduated from high school in Yonkers, New York, spent a year studying at the Sorbonne and graduated from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio in 1934. Upon graduation, he received a job offer from the Coatesville Record, in Coatesville, Pennsylvania. He spent the next 20 years working in newspapers, eventually bec
More about Fletcher Knebel