Start by marking “Mockingbird (Miriam Black, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mockingbird (Miriam Black, #2)

Mockingbird

(Miriam Black #2)

Miriam is trying to keep her ability—her curse—in check.

But when Miriam touches a woman in line at the supermarket, she sees that the woman will be killed here, now.

She reacts, and begins a new chapter in her life—one which can never be expected to go well.
Published August 28th 2012 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Mockingbird, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Holly I think your audiobooks got mixed up and maybe you read mockingbird twice? There's no school or Lauren or katey or applebees in blackbirds

Dan Schwent
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angry-robot, 2013, wendig
Miriam Black tried to settle down with Louis but it was like trying to contain an angry cat in a pillow case. Now she's trying to protect at-risk teenage girls from a serial killer with a swallow tattoo on his chest. Can she stop him and save the girls or will the next death she witnesses be her own?

Miriam Black returns in the sequel to Blackbirds, bigger, badder, and Blacker than the first book. Unlike most sequels, this one doesn't suck. In fact, everything about it is better than the first.

Mo
Sh3lly
1. Blackbird: ★★★★

M. Miriam is back and just as bitchy and abrasive as ever. Maybe even more so than I remember her. She has issues.

I. IMAGINARY. Miriam has a lot of visions and sees things that turn out to not really be there. Sometimes her dead boyfriend shows up. I don't think she has gotten over that whole thing yet.

R. RATED R. Let's be honest, this book has offensive content. Tons of cursing and violence. Miriam has no morals, really, except when it comes to children, and possibly a shred f
Bradley
This is for all you peeps who have strong enough stomachs to get through the first Miriam Black novel!

The second one has just as much colorful language as the first! YAY! It had me chuckling with every grand disgusting description of place, person, and action. So funny. So fun. So redneck. So trashy.

But that isn't all. Miriam tries soooo hard. And fails. At almost everything. But when there's a sick serial murderer gunning for her and the special supernatural bits she has inside her, she's force
Trudi

I can gobble the Miriam Black books down as if they were piping hot, greasy cheeseburgers with a triple chocolate shake on the side. Yum! Yeah, you really have to suspend disbelief, there might even be a few dubious plot holes, but goddamn, as a dark heroine with a grim gift Miriam kicks ass. She's a viper, a scrapper, a take-no-prisoners and no bullshit kind of gal, morally dubious, who is just beginning to figure out what the right thing to do is.

In this second installment, Miriam's
Ashley Daviau
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fuck I love Miriam Black. I didn't think it possible but this book was even better than the first in the series! And I fell even more in love with Miriam and Louis and couldn't help but root for them despite knowing that with how Miriam is, chances were slim. I absolutely loved the storyline of this book, it was exciting and non stop action the whole way through. Some parts were most definitely incredibly disturbing but that's part of the charm of this series for me. This book was just as bloody ...more
Emma
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I’m done with the fuckin’ bird thing,” Miriam says. “Seriously. Don’t you have any other symbols in that bag of tricks?”

Very dark but very good. Miriam is a unique character - her childhood austere and her life - well you need to read this series to find out!
Brandon
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, favorites, ebook, fiction
You can say what you want about Miriam but you could never take away the fact that above all else, she’s true to herself. So when Ms. Black knows something’s not working out for her, she turns tail and seeks out a more desirable environment. Unfortunately for Louis, settling down with him in a tin coffin of a trailer isn’t exactly her idea of heaven on Earth.

It isn’t long until Miriam is on the road again and back in the hot seat. While using her “gift” as a favor to see just how a friend of a f
Josh
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I don’t know how you’re going to turn out. I don’t think well. I think you’re a bad girl destined for bad things.”

Miriam Black is cursed with the ability to see death. The merest touch of skin allows her to see anyone’s end regardless of when the reapers due to collect – it could be years, months, or minutes, as is the case with the opening scene of Mockingbird, the second book to feature Miriam Black by author Chuck Wendig.

Miriam is just as potty mouthed and headstrong as ever as she puts her
Lou
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
This was a great improvement on the first book in the Miriam black experience. This time round the great writing ability of chuck wendig is displayed with his humour and great dialogue.
There is less profanity than the first and the writing is presented in an original short sharp no wasted words sentences.
This was a great adventure into the Miriam black world.

"This might be your last chance to get off the ride. The Miriam Black Experience is about to depart the gate, and you're either strapped i
Mr. Matt
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a let-down after Blackbirds. I really was. That first book was so good. The second couldn’t be better, could it? I was wrong. There was no let down. Mockingbird picks up the story of Miriam Black after the events of Blackbirds. And by picking up, I don’t mean gently lifting you up and settling you carefully back down on a cushioned pillow. Mockingbird picks you up by the scruff of your neck and shakes you back and forth savagely.

Miriam has recovered from the trauma she endured in
Stepheny
Initial Reaction:

Why the fuck would you ruin such a good thing?

Actual Review:

Kelly tried to warn us, but we didn't listen. Kelly was right. The second book fucking sucked.

She said- NOPE, I won’t read that book with you guys. I’m leaving Blackbirds the way it is- perfect.

Come on! We said. It’ll be fun! we said.

We were wrong.

Miriam Black is back at it in Mockingbird. She and Louis are boring and lame. They live together now. He knows her dirty little secret and is ok with it. She’s ok with his cy
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This series amazes me. It's so very different from anything else I've read, at least partially because it's so dark and edgy. While I loved the first book, this one was exceptional.

Miriam Black has a gift that is not really a gift. When she touches people she can see how they die. At the start of this book she's working at a grocery store, wearing gloves, and hating her life, except for her boyfriend Louis. She begins to crave touching people and seeing their deaths, but then when she manages to
Holly (The Grimdragon)
Ghosts, restless and sad, stir inside her.

If you are now considering book two in the Miriam Black series & you ask yourself "Self. Can Miriam Black BE any more badass?" HOW DARE YOU?! OF COURSE SHE CAN, SHITBIRD! OF COURSE SHE CAN! She is something else in this sequel. For real.

This picks up a year after where book one has left off & Miriam has been.. suppressing her powers. For those unfamiliar with this series, Miriam can see how someone will die just by touching them. One year later
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I really enjoyed the first Miriam Black book, Blackbirds, which was a good introduction to the unique gift/curse Miriam possesses, of seeing how people will die if she touches their skin. I was a little concerned about reading a second book, because I didn't want her to become routine. When Angry Robot Books offered me an eARC through their Robot Army, I jumped at the chance. It won't come out for the rest of you until October, sorry. But that will give you the chance to read the first book. Get ...more
Amanda Makepeace
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I do all my reading for pleasure at night, usually after 9 p.m. I began reading Mockingbird on August 1st. I finished on August 3rd.

I am not a speed reader.

The only time I can read a book that fast is:

A. When the plot consumes me so much I’d rather read than sleep, even if it means I will be a zombie the next day and inevitably bite someone’s head off.

B. When an author writes a book that is a perfect fusion of plot and character, where everything happens in 3D, an unstoppable chain reaction of e
Andy
Makes me laugh & makes me want to read more, so an easy score with A clear 5 Stars!

Where could Chuck Wendig go next with this series I was thinking after Blackbirds?

As in the series opener Blackbirds there was no plot per say as Miriam Black WAS the plot & as a novelty worked superbly for me with many a chuckle over her coarse manner & caustic nature/wit. A little trepidation as i began Mockingbird but how wrong that was as he (Chuck Wendig) ramps it up again with a moider mystery! M
sj
I was a little annoyed with reading our PtBiB chapters last week because I just wanted to read this book some more.  I kept looking over at my reader thinking "Well, surely they won't mind if I'm just a little late..." but in the end I took my hosting duties more seriously than I wanted to and gave in to the fact that I wasn't going to be able to go back to the pleasure reading until the required reading was done.

If you can call Chuck Wendig's Mockingbird "pleasure reading," I guess.

That's not t
Milo (BOK)
Great stuff, loved this just as much as the first. Can't add this to Best of 2012 at the moment due to complications with the computer that I'm currrently using (not my normal one), but I will do so when I can.

FULL REVIEW:

“A dark and gritty page-turner. Wendig’s second Miriam Black novel is a brilliant read and just as enjoyable as the first.” ~The Founding Fields

This month just keeps getting better and better for reviewing. Reading wise, I don’t think I’ve read a book that I haven’t liked sinc
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I can't get enough of Miriam Black. I just can't. I thought the initial delight of discovering this twisted and refreshingly candid series would have worn off a bit by now, but it hasn't. If anything, I think I'm finally starting to sense of who Miriam is and the direction in which these books are going. Or that might just be wishful thinking. Regardless, I'm still having a blast.

Some time has passed since we last left Miriam and Louis in Blackbirds (book one of the series, my review here). For
Jason
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I want to thank NetGalley for allowing me the courtesy of reading this book as an early read.

I am now a real fan of Chuck Wendig. I really enjoyed my first read of his which was the first book in this series Blackbirds, and now with this second in the series Mockingbird, I am sold...This book starts a short time after the events of the first book have unfolded.

Our heroine is trying her hardest to make it in the main stream. She is whole heartedly attempting to settle down, keep up a jo
Ranting Dragon
Dec 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ashik

Blackbirds, Chuck Wendig’s fantastical debut, opened with a scene that made my eyes go wide and then stick to the pages like a starved dog with a side of meat. It pulled me along, chapter by hectic chapter, leaving me panting and glad that I had found out about his books when he had already published a sequel. Mockingbird also opens with a bang, albeit an understated one compared to the shock value that Blackbirds achieves. That’s the thing about giving yo
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Mockingbird is the second book in the Miriam Black series. The first book was about introductions. Wendig introduced us to Miriam Black, her crazy past, her uncertain future and most importantly, the paranormal gift/curse she carries with her. I fell in love with her--she has this wild disposition and she's crude and takes every opportunity to challenge people and push boundaries (especially when we don't think she should)
In Mockingbird, the introductions are over. Miriam Black is who she is and
J.F. Penn
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, horror
Chuck Wendig can seriously write a great metaphor - his language is stunning and original and I'm always re-reading lines to try and fathom the layers. This is definitely horror with a suitably violent and nasty serial killer hunting young girls, mutilating and murdering them. Miriam Black, with her visions of how people die tries to change the fates of the girls she meets by hunting down the killers. But is her gift, or curse, beginning to twist her mind into madness? It's hard to tell as Miria ...more
Mili
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-the-book
This series is working out so well! It is fast paced supernatural thriller! Miriam is insane and so quick to reply with most of the time rude comments XD. She has no filter lol~
There is a nice suspense and you fly through the book. I love the Trespasser, creepy appirition that speaks in ridles and keeps it vague. It is not hard to follow, there is just the one POV and you meet some sidecharacters through Miriam. So to me it is like a light read with suspense, gore and loaaaads of satisfying swe
Kate Sherrod
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: angry-robot
Sometimes, I think Chuck Wendig has been spying on my own inner dialogue as I scowl and huff and sigh my way through my meatspace life. Yes, my little chickadees, it's true: Miriam Black's outside voice sounds a lot like my inside voice. And I bet I'm not alone.

I really, really loved Wendig's first Miriam Black novel, Blackbirds in all of it's cursing, seedy, desperate glory. I've been sort of obsessively peeking at my inbox lately that I might pounce the second September's drop of Angry Robot e
Stephanie
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
There is something so compelling about Miriam Black. She is prickly and damaged but so appealing, so very honest, yet so reluctant to pursue her new calling.

Miriam suffered a traumatic event in her teen years that left her with a special ability. If she touches someone skin to skin, she can see that person's death. She can see how they die and she knows how soon it will happen. This "gift" has now indicated the presence of a serial killer and Miriam has been led to believe that the only way to s
Jo Anne B
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book.

"Death by lungbarf". This was my favorite line in the book amongst many, many other awesome one liners like, "What the fuck's a Trapper Keeper?"

Wow do I love this author! I laughed so much during this book. The way Wendig throws these in your face one liners in, it just gets me everytime. Miriam is one of my favorite characters of all time. She is so, so messed up and bad ass. I can't get enough of her and this author.
Benoit Lelièvre
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writing MOCKINGBIRD must've been one hell of a catch-22 for Chuck Wendig. Readers ached for a sequel to Miriam Black's adventures and yet, how do you follow up on something as crushingly good as BLACKBIRDS? Writing this novel deprived of the novelty factor must've been as difficult as typing it with your nose, while your hands are tied behind your back.

That said, MOCKINGBIRD is a success. It doesn't have the Earth shattering potency of its predecessor, but it's a highly enjoyable novel. This sel
Ashley (bookishmommy)
Alissa Patrick
This wasn't as great as the first one, but I really enjoyed this one. Miriam is harder and edgier than before as she struggles with maintaining a balance between normalcy with Louis and her psychic power of "I can see how you die" when she touches people.

The bird imagery in this one was fantastic.I find birds creepy as shit so I definitely got the heebie jeebies reading this one.
Looking for plot synopsis...! 1 6 Dec 01, 2017 07:14AM
Urban Fantasy Afi...: May BOM Mockingbird 5 29 May 22, 2014 09:15AM
  • The Wrong Goodbye (The Collector, #2)
  • Hang Wire
  • The Dead of Winter  (Cora Oglesby #1)
  • Women Crime Writers: Four Suspense Novels of the 1950s: Mischief / The Blunderer / Beast in View / Fools' Gold
  • Fight Like a Girl: A Short Story Anthology
  • The Immune System (Dewey Decimal #3)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Lilith
  • Down the Darkest Street (Pete Fernandez Mystery #2)
  • Any Other Name (The Split Worlds, #2)
  • Skulk (Skulk, #1)
  • The Corpse-Rat King
  • Digger, Volume Three
  • Awakenings
  • My Faith in Frankie
  • Chasing the Dragon
  • Letters From a Murderer (Finley Jameson & Joseph Argenti #1)
  • Fixer
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th

Miriam Black (6 books)
  • Blackbirds (Miriam Black, #1)
  • The Cormorant (Miriam Black, #3)
  • Thunderbird (Miriam Black, #4)
  • The Raptor & the Wren (Miriam Black, #5)
  • Vultures (Miriam Black, #6)
“Always quick with the wit. It's your defense, isn't it? Little girl doesn't want the world to know how sad she is, how damaged. Your words, your attitude, all a big misdirection. A magician's trick.” 6 likes
“She gets on her tippy-toes and kisses him. Long, slow, deep. The kind of kiss where you can feel little pieces of your soul trading places as mouths open and breath mingles.” 3 likes