Start by marking “Neuroscience for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Neuroscience for Dummies

Neuroscience for Dummies

(Dummies)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  222 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Get on the fast track to understanding neuroscience Research into the human brain has exploded in recent years, and neuroscience has become a major program at many universities and a required course for a wide range of studies. Neuroscience For Dummies tracks to an introductory neuroscience class, giving you an understanding of the brain's structure and function, as well a ...more
Published December 13th 2011 by For Dummies (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Neuroscience for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neuroscience for Dummies

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Neuroscience for Dummies
Annie
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I took this book out from the college library three months ago as a joke to help with my extended project (Evaluating the Effectiveness of Music Therapy on Dopamine Related Illnesses). I thought nothing of this book; I've always heard bad things about the '... For Dummies' series so I thought maybe I'd find a good joke or a pun or something... you get the jist.

I thought wrong. This book is a godsend. You want to learn about neuroscience but don't really want to? Read this. You have no time but
Joseph Hamilton
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
As someone who always joked about the ‘for Dummies’ series, I was forced to eat my words. I read this cover to cover as I do not come from a background in neuroscience and wanted to pursue a career in the field. I have since completed a postgraduate level research degree in one of the world’s best universities for the subject. Although that is obviously not attributable to one book, this definitely gave me a good foundation for applying and excelling at the interview stage. Highly recommend.
Brian
Feb 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm not ashamed. Well, a little ashamed. Found this as a library ebook and took a look as I'd always wanted to study neuro but never did. It was a decent way to get an overview of neuroscience (as far as I could tell) without having too much detail (which i'd forget anyway) in a short amount of time. I did reference a real neuroscience textbook to go more in depth in the areas I was interested in. Looking at the two side by side makes the dummies book look like a joke, but when I finished readin ...more
جلال ابوالعلا
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
good for an introduction to neuroscience.
Linda
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hugely helpful for building enough background knowledge to succeed in grad school clinical neuroanatomy & physiology class. ...more
Bronwyn Lok
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Full review at a href="http://www.goodreads.com">htt....

The human brain is quite a fascinating subject. Its abilities, its potential, how it came to be, and more. While it had nothing to do with I am studying, but I have always been curious. The wonderful thing about this book was how it took a really complicated subject and presented it in the simplest way possible. It provides a pretty decent overview of the structure of the brain, the neurons, the nervous system, the senses, locomotion, and a
Julian Meynell
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology, reviewed
I was looking for an overview into the basics of Neuroscience before diving in deeper to the subject. This book was an obvious place to start. Obviously there is only so accessible a book on Neuroscience can be but this book is very accessible given the subject matter. As to how good it is at knowing the material, I don't obviously have first hand knowledge of that, but it did infact work for me as a general introduction before I move on to more serious things.
Lucie
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
It was not as much of "for dummies" as I hoped for, but I still got a fairly good picture about how the nervous system works. And I was fascinated with the details about consciousness, learning and mental illness.
Brendan  McAuliffe
Mar 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Has a big mistake in it ( pg 118 ) , confuses ' hearing aids ' with ' cochealar implants '. Also ' junk DNA ( pg 298 ) has been discovered not to be junk at all.

Melichichi
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
The dummies series is self-explanatory. Great starting point for beginners.
Greg Parrott
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK... very high level overview of neuroscience and relatively up to date. I'm always looking for that next level deeper in the details.
Rosalind
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this for fun really, as opposed to reading it academically. However,! I must say that I found it very well written in a way that doesn’t overwhelm a new reader to the study of the body’s signal and senses.
Стефан Радев
Тая аудиокнига е уникална. Препоръпвам я на всеки който учи и/или се интересува от невроанатомия и нефрофизиология. Особено я првпоръчвам на колегите от 2ри курс. Слуша се много леко и навлиза толкова дълбоко колкото и неразбираемите учебници като напр. Този на уважаемия бездарен многоиздателен автор акад. Овчаров.
Аеотрът може да не е академик КАМБАН, а простичък професор по невронаука от Алабама, но Овчаров и други аетори не могат да му стъпят на малкия пръст, като обяснителни способности.

Книга

• Synaptic Self: How Our Brains Become Who We Are
  • Start Your Own Business: The Only Startup Book You'll Ever Need
  • Fing
  • І тим, що в гробах
  • In the Shadow of the Eighth: My Forty Years Working for Women's Health in Ireland
  • Mindful Movements: Mindfulness Exercises Developed by Thich Nhat Hanh and the Plum Village Sangha
  • Ending Parkinson's Disease: A Prescription for Action
  • Mindfulness for Teachers: Simple Skills for Peace and Productivity in the Classroom
  • The Brain's Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity
  • Seven Signs of Life: Stories from an Intensive Care Doctor
  • Shake, Rattle & Roll With It: Living and Laughing with Parkinson's
  • In My Room
  • Recovering from Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Reclaim Your Emotional Autonomy and Find Personal Happiness
  • Herding Hemingway's Cats: Understanding how our genes work
  • Essential French in 2 hours with Paul Noble: French Made Easy with Your Bestselling Language Coach
  • Letter from Birmingham Jail

Dummies (1 - 10 of 712 books)
  • Mindfulness for Dummies
  • Wine for Dummies
  • Writing Fiction for Dummies
  • Economics For Dummies

News & Interviews

“One attribute associated with human intelligence is language, which, when defined as the use of sign sequences within a complex grammar, appears to be uniquely human. What’s interesting about language — at least from a neuroscientist’s perspective — is that it resides on only one side of the brain (the left side in most right-handers). What makes it mind-boggling is that the two sides of a human brain appear nearly identical in both large- and small-scale organization. In other words, there appears to be no physical difference between the two halves. Neuroscientists know of no circuit or structure or cell unique to the left side of the brain that would explain its language capacity compared to the lack of it on the right side. Yet, as seen in patients whose left and right brain halves have been disconnected for medical reasons, the left side is capable of carrying on a conversation about recent experience, but the right side is not.” 0 likes