Start by marking “The Selection (The Selection, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Selection (The Selection, #1)

The Selection

(The Selection #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  883,291 ratings  ·  49,069 reviews

The first book in the captivating, #1 New York Times bestselling Selection series! Discover a breathless fairy-tale romance with swoon-worthy characters, glittering gowns, fierce intrigue, and a dystopian world that will captivate readers who loved Veronica Roth’s Divergent, Ally Condie’s Matched, and Lauren Oliver’s Delirium.

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the cha

Published April 24th 2012 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Selection, please sign up.
Brittany S You're "like 100% sure", yeah? But you, um, haven't actually read the book yet? That doesn't make much sense. Maybe the rating is high because people …moreYou're "like 100% sure", yeah? But you, um, haven't actually read the book yet? That doesn't make much sense. Maybe the rating is high because people actually like the book. Just because the visible reviews are all terrible, that doesn't mean that everyone thinks the same. In fact, the ratings prove the opposite. As for your 1 star-prediction, it'd be easy to accept that if you had read the book. 1 star because it sucked. Or maybe 5 stars if it was great. You don't know until you read it, so its really narrow minded of you to state that opinion without having any knowledge of what the book, or author, are actually like.(less)
ellie I read this book series because of a friend's obsession as well. She ADORES these books and was going to slit my throat in my sleep one night if I did…moreI read this book series because of a friend's obsession as well. She ADORES these books and was going to slit my throat in my sleep one night if I didn't read it quickly. I'm not a romance person and also I get so worked up and upset at love triangles. I just HATE love triangles. Alas, I decided to read the book and save my life. I actually liked it. The next day I went to the library and got the second book. Then the next day I cried because all the copies of the last book were out of the library.
So, yes. I would recommend reading this. There is no harm in trying it, you might surprise yourself like I did. (less)
Insurgent by Veronica RothDivergent by Veronica RothThe Selection by Kiera CassFallen by Lauren KateUnearthly by Cynthia Hand
Favourite Covers
270 books — 66 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadPerfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
Dream Guy
223 books — 147 voters

More lists with this book...

·  883,291 ratings  ·  49,069 reviews

Start your review of The Selection (The Selection, #1)
Victoria
May 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE 3/23/2016:

YOU GUYS. I owe Kiera Cass a TREMENDOUS apology. Kiera Cass is the mother-effing ORACLE OF DELPHI. GET THAT WOMAN A JOB IN THE WHITE HOUSE, STAT.

Because you guys. She predicted Donald Trump's America. Rich businessman. War with China. Renaming country after own self. Creating a caste system based off of how much money one has.

I didn't believe this was an America that could happen, but turns out, I was the one who was wrong.

*sobbing quietly into nuclear bunker*

ORIGINAL REVIEW

I
Kiki
This book is like those little sachets of Nutella you get as free samples with like a magazine or a packet of Ritz or something, in that it's empty calories lite but seriously delicious. It's really small and really bad for you and not really that satisfying but shit if you don't enjoy it. Because, no matter how superior you think your tastes are, you will enjoy this. Even just on a voyeuristic level. You just have to forget all of the stuff you know. Like, all of it. Forget what you learned in ...more
Wendy Darling
Reaction before reading this book: I know I may be a sucker for falling for this cover, but look at it! I totally want to go to that party.

Reaction after reading this book: I no longer want to go to this party.

Full disclosure: I did not read this entire book. I took notes for the first 88 pages, read to page 168, and then skimmed the rest. I think reading more than half the book qualifies as giving it a fair shot.

The Selection arrives with a gorgeous cover and interesting premise. What if a lott
Emily May
I know, I know, I probably shouldn't have read this. But when a series gets to be this popular, I can't help needing to know why. I have friends who LOVED this and friends who HATED it, so I had to see for myself.

Firstly, the names. Okay, I’d already made peace with America Singer before going into this book. I knew that was her name, I knew it was silly, but whatever, it does not maketh or breaketh a book. But I didn’t know that America Singer was - wait, it’s too good - a singer. Honestly, why
Miranda Reads
description
Stuck at home? Got some time on your hands? Want to start a long series? But you don't want a dud?

Check out this booktube video - all about which series are worth your time (and which ones aren't)!

Check Out the Written Review!
description
The Bachelor + The Princess Diaries
North America was destroyed (wars, financial crisis, etc). A man of the
Mariya
"I'm not so stupid as to believe that you've completely forgotten about your former boyfriend. I know you think there are others here more suited for me and this life, and I wouldn't want you to rush into trying to be happy with any of this. I just...I just want to know if it's possible..."

THE SELECTION was one of the best books I have ever read! I don't think I quite expected that once I flipped the first page that I couldn't stop! But guess what it happened! I am constantly thinkin
Shannon
If you can get past the "I'm smelling my armpit" cover, and also the silly names, and the horribly unoriginal storyline, and the terrible writing ... wait, really, you can get past all of that? What does that leave you then? A nice ... font?

Seriously, though, read reviews for this one. They're not favorable for a reason.
Steph Sinclair
I read this book for one reason: To find out why it's a New York Times Best-selling series. After drinking several beers and banging my head against the wall after reading The Selection, I can kinda see why. And to be fair, it's probably not the absolute worst book I've read. (I mean, there's still that time I read Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini...) Still, it is by no means something that I'd recommend.

I know it might seem like I detested The Selection based on my status updates, but to be pe
Lala BooksandLala
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Upon re-read 5 years later- Welp, it's still the "guilty pleasure" light silly read I knew it to be, but definitely not quite as entertaining as I remember.
Lea

[**NOTE: This review was not affected by online drama or controversy. Everything I have to say here is based on my own personal opinion about the book itself, even though I definitely think Cass needs a new publicist.]

[**NOTE #2: All the captions in the non-animated picture memes were made by me-- because, you know, I'm just THAT brilliantly witty. So please don't use them without asking my permission first. Thanks :)]

35 GIRLS. 1 CROWN. THE COMPETITION OF A LIFETIME.

Now with a story pre
Maria
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
“True love is usually the most inconvenient kind.”

Wow! How refreshing! I feel so much lighter now, like a weight has been lifted off of me. I feel happy and fluffy and bubbly. This is such a fan and entertaining read. I can't even review it properly. You can't just criticize harshly a trash YA book, made to not be taken seriously. Guys, let some love into your life! This book meets The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor meets America's Next Top Model meets any kind of trashy re
Emily Blake
*An ARC was provided by HarperTeen in exchange for an honest review*

I don't usually go for books like this one, with the whole princess competition thing going on (actually I've never even started one because they don't look good), but let me tell you, this book is amazing.

I loved it. That's all I can say. It went right into the story, and I was hooked from page one. I just couldn't stop reading. The plot was AMAZING!! (view spoiler)
Jamie
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can never ever get enough of this series! To start off, I will say that I liked this book more than I thought I would. I was originally looking for a book for a reading challenge (needed blue covers) and just happened to see this at the library and figured it didn't look too bad and that I would just read it since nothing else was working. I have now read this four times since it came out. It has yet to tire for me.
It is hard to explain why I like it. It is a true guilty pleasure, fluffy kind
Gabrielle Carolina
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Did not finish; stopped at page 208.

I could not get behind America who is suffering from an affliction called TSTL syndrome (too stupid to live.) Her choices seem robotic and awkward, her dialogue and self-deprication feel desperate and forced. None of the other characters rise to the occasion of acting realistically, either.

Besides that, and a serious lack of world building, The Selection is to The Hunger Games as Carrier of the Mark is to Twilight. That is to say an apparent knock-off. Gavril
emma
Heavens above, why are you smiting me?

I’m like, super behind on BookTube-a-thon. I was doing fine, and then I had an emergencylevelsuperbusybeyondstressfulconstantlyanxious garbage smoothie of a day. And I didn’t read at all.

AND NOW I’M VERY BEHIND AND I HATE IT.

So I picked up this book, which I’ve been meaning to reread, because I remembered it as being fast and fun and cute and easy. BECAUSE I NEED TO CATCH UP. I CAN’T LOSE. NOT AT A READING THING. THIS IS ALL I HAVE!!!!

Two of the adjectives I
Natalie Monroe

"I didn't want to be royalty. And I didn't want to be a One. I didn't even want to try."

Let me tell you a story.

Once upon a time, a girl who doesn't think she's pretty and has jackshit ambition is suddenly elevated to a Chosen One status. She gets to live a palace where she's waited on hand and foot as well as gets a makeover and pretty dresses. During her time, she slowly finds herself falling for a handsome boy in a position of power, but her heart is still with her scruffy low-c
Lauren Suero
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here's how this book should be marketed: Dystopian world meets 'The Bachelor'.....sort of.

NOT THE HUNGER GAMES. There's no fight to the death here.. just a bunch of young women vying for the heart of one very handsome prince.

Personally, I've been excited to read this book from day one of it's announcement. Say what you will about the cover, but holy heck is it gorgeous. If I wasn't so damn short, I'd totally rock that dress. The chance to become a princess? BESTILL MY 5 YEAR OLD HEART!

I loved th
jessica
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i like my teenage dystopian dating competitions like i like my drama - catty, pointless, and OTT.

this is all of that and more. i never knew that a hunger games meets the bachelor crossover is the most ridiculously entertaining story that i needed in my life.

i know now how my mother feels when she watches her reality TV shows. lol.

4 stars
Sophie
Edit:
I have only one question, and that question is:
WHY IS THE OVERALL RATING FOR THIS BOOK SO HIGH??

Last time I checked it was in the 3's. Something fishy is going on here...

This review also appears on The Dreaming Reader.

May I present to everyone The Hunger Games...Girlified!
Disclaimer: Despite the fact that I am drawing comparisons between the two, there is no way that this sad little novel (if it can even be called that) will ever match up to The Hunger Games.

Similarity #1: A "cutthroat"
Taneika
The best chocolate chip cookies I've ever had are full of delicious, "bad-for-you" ingredients, are only $3 and I often find myself devouring almost an entire packet in one sitting despite knowing I probably shouldn't eat that many cookies. But, I can't help it, I just enjoy them so much. The Selection is a bit like that. It's cheap, nasty and has everything I could possibly hate in literature, yet I found myself addicted and it was so much fun.

(I still stand by my opinion that the controversy s
Natverse
Jan 20, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Non-feminists, people with little dignity.
Recommended to Natverse by: Goodreads failed me again.
NOTE: I want to remind readers that it is important to give all books a fair chance despite negative reviews and the author or their agent opening their mouth when they shouldn't. That being said, I have nothing personal against Kiera Cass and she seems like a lovely human being, but I really did not like this book. See linked article for agent's involvement in unpaid reviewer controversy.

Sentence: I sentence Kiera Cass to a season of The Bachelor in which everyone is selected to be dropped off
She-who-must-not-be-named
“I hope you find someone you can't live without. I really do. And I hope you never have to know what it's like to have to try and live without them.”

America Singer is an average sixteen-year-old who lives in the country of Illea, a remnant of the United States after World War III. Yep that's right, World War III! Illea is a weird monarchy which has a caste system ranging from One to Eight- One being very rich and Eight being very poor. America is sent an invitation to The Selection wherei
Samantha
May 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this two stars because it didn't make me actively angry but it might change to 1 star after further consideration; we will see.

First off, I never had any intention of reading this book. I heard about the series in it's hayday, and it never appealed to me. However, we picked it for this month's House Salt Book Club with the recent announcement of the adaptation and because we wanted something quick and easy for this month. So I went into this with very low expectations and tried my da
Kate
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
The Selection by Kiera Cass

Ahhh, I loved this book sooo much, and I completely see the hype!!

Although most of this book was quiet predictable, that didn't even matter because all the other amazing qualities of this book outshone that!
Kiera Cass seems like such a cute and lovely person, so I'm so happy I loved her book!
I cannot wait to continue on with this series, I'm totally Team Maxon people!! Hahaha,
I loved the setting, characters, plot, romance, just awesome!

Side note: THANK YOU 'THE SELEC
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
First, I want to say that I LOVED this book. I've been wanting to get to this series for so long and it most definitely did not disappoint. I love the names of the three main characters, America, Aspen, and Prince Maxon. Awesome names. To describe America Singer, I would say she is loyal, tough, passionate, and at the same time, vulnerable and a little bit naive. I instantly fell in love with her. Aspen is someone she has known all her life and the last two years, they fell in love. But in this ...more
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Katrina Passick Lumsden
May 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Oooooohhhhhh, why did this have to be so vapid?!

*Sigh*

Let's get one thing straight; dystopian novels are one of my guilty pleasures. This one's premise seemed slightly intriguing, even if the idea of a futuristic version of The Bachelor (with a royal twist) made me cringe a little (because I effing hate The Bachelor). Sadly, however, where premise and good intentions fail, mediocrity prevails. This entire book is just silly. Shallow and completely meaningless....and nothing really happened. I g
Dorreh
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't a bad book, it really wasn't. Had i read this two or three years ago when I was neck deep in the my love for predictable happily ever afters, I would have been head over heels for this book. But sadly that isn't case now.
The book was well written and with a melodic drift that made you want to find out what happens next, even though you kinda already knew what's going to happen since the first page. In a simply mediocre kind of way.

But all in all I can't really complain, it's not some
MischaS_
So, while cleaning up my e-reader, I found that I once started reading this book, I got to chapter four or five. On September 11, 2013, I marked it as 10.0% read here on Goodreads. I have to say that it's a good guess to say that I won't be finishing this one.

But still, this series was one of the first ones to start the trend of pretty dresses on covers, and I will always be thankful for that. I love pretty dresses.
Luffy
I reckon the haters might have a point, but this book won me over. At the time of writing, I only know that this book was very good and that there are sequels. I don't know how many or whether this series has been brought to a conclusion.

The story flows very much like a Chaplinesque film such as the Great Dictator. When two of the love triangle are talking, the decor, the surroundings, the palace, the tree house all of these melt away. There is a lot of symbolism involved. E.g. the clumsy name o
Word Game Starting with Maxon 5371 1259 Sep 29, 2020 08:08AM
YA Book Club!: The Selection 28 45 Sep 25, 2020 08:04AM
Potterhead Clubbb...: The Selection - Dual BOTM June 11 20 Sep 23, 2020 05:23PM
Last one to post wins! 1544 342 Sep 21, 2020 05:55PM
Favourite characters and why?? 5 47 Sep 06, 2020 12:40PM
Selection Discussion: New to the selection series 3 5 Sep 04, 2020 10:59AM
Challenge Corner: The Selection Series by Kiera Cass -> Restarting November 1st, 2020 169 39 Aug 30, 2020 07:56PM

• Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • Matched (Matched, #1)
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)
  • Twilight (Twilight, #1)
  • Eleanor & Park
  • Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)
  • The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1)
  • Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
  • Fangirl
100 Things I Love:

Being married. Cake. The smell of Autumn. Motherhood. Books. Elephants. Back rubs. On demand movies. Actually going out to movies. Faith. Cinnamon rolls. My family. Butterflies. When my kitchen is clean. Crayons. Pink. Tote bags. Dancing. Organizing via color coordination. That my wedding dress was tea length, not floor. Baking. My house. Writing utensils. Paper. India. The sound

The Selection (5 books)
  • The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)

Articles featuring this book

Whether it’s magic schools, dystopias, paranormal love stories, or contemporary explorations of important real-life issues, young adult books...
“True love is usually the most inconvenient kind.” 2679 likes
“I hope you find someone you can't live without.I really do. And I hope you never have to know what it's like to have to try and live without them.” 2138 likes