Start by marking “Le Cirque De Magie” as Want to Read:
Le Cirque De Magie

Le Cirque De Magie

The circus is a blur of commotion with last minute preparations for the spring tour. Ravi, the high-wire heart throb, becomes jittery when he meets the company's newly-hired female dwarf. Hours before departure, his magical perceptions are on fire as he witnesses her involvement in a gory bump off.

The circus manager can't be found. Ravi is desperate to protect his sweethea
Published November 22nd 2011 by Marsha A. Moore

To ask other readers questions about Le Cirque De Magie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le Cirque De Magie

Start your review of Le Cirque De Magie
Dianne
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ahh, the magic of the circus, the acts, the high energy activity, the death-defying moves, the travel, the murder….Enter the world of Marsha A. Moore’s LE CIRQUE DE MAGIE where the performers are more than talented entertainers and while their acts may be death defying, the behind the scenes murder could be a real show stopper.

Meet Ravi, a powerful being whose trapeze act will leave you breathless, because he has a secret, as does every other performer, they are not human. When evil comes to the
Djrmel
May 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
The mythology the author uses and expands on is very interesting, but the story telling is dull and clunky. Characters act without underlying cause part of the time and then use expository dialog when talking to each other. Adding to the unevenness is a heavy handed chunk of 1920s slang from one character - just the one, and then it's gone. There's a seed of a good story here, but it needs a LOT more development and rewriting.
L. Virelli
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In the harsh reality of today's world, sometimes I need to get lost in a fantasy, and this story whisked me away. I actually experienced the circus with my five senses as I read about the high wire hero and his love. I've read several of Marsha's fantasies and she always puts me right in the action with her characters. If you like fantasy, I highly recommend her books.
Ally
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wv-reviews
(Review by Cynthia Shepp for Word Vagabond)

Enter the world of Le Cirque de Magie, The Circus of Magic, in Prohibition-era America. This book delves into Sanskrit spirits and demons. Ravi, a sun-bird deity, is the main character of the book. He does not speak good English but he manages to come across as a great man. Ravi is a performer in Le Cirque de Magie, whose winter home is in Sarasota, Florida. He is part of the trapeze act and is in love with Alice, another performer in the circus. The c
Kasia Hubbard
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The only complaint I have is that it ended way too soon :) This was a great read about Ravi, a Suparna, who is hiding his true identity from most of the circus folk (besides Jack the Manager and his girlfriend Alice). While practicing for their performance, Ravi nearly drops Alice from the flying trapeze as a newly hired dwarf, Sadie, causes a commotion below with Ravi's friends, the Snake people. He has a feeling the dwarf is more than meets the eye, and soon finds out his feelings are correct. ...more
Ann
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This story was a fun look at the heyday of the circus in the 1920s! I felt like I could really smell the circus, the sweat of the animals and a buttery popcorn aroma in the air. The author did a great job creating a setting that pulled me in. The details of the time period added a lot, especially the clothing and the slang. Loved the slang words, like brown plaid, panther piss, and zozzled! The magic came off well, complementing the grittiness of the hard times during prohibition. The main chara ...more
Linda
Nov 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ravi, A Divine Sun-Spirit Suprna Deity Had Wings And Preformed A High Wire Act In A Circus And Only His Two Partners And The Snake People Known As The Nagas Knew What He Was. He Had Learned His Lesson When Showing His Wings To Humans And Was Tired Of Being Called A Freak. Alice And Fred, His Partners Did Not Judge Him And Humans Adored Their Act And Called Him Birdman.

A Dwarf Spiting Tobacco Joined With Them And Every Since The First Came And Went They Were Nothing But Trouble And Sadie Proved T
Tarran
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Really great short story! Loved the backdrop and the characters. Great writing style!
Jacquel
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
While the story was great, with an interesting backdrop and full of mythology, it ended way too soon.
Lauren Gail
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Le Cirque De Magie offers a classic story line with a supernatural twist. The rich imagery instantly transports you to a circus of the 1920's. A fun read!
Alaina
Super short novella.

Le Cirque De Magie was a book that I read for a specific challenge but it fell too short for it too count. So sad. It was interesting read though and it was a bit sad that it was so short. In this, you will meet Ravi. He is a trapeze artist that is in his own element when performing. However, he has a pretty big secret, he isn't human. Well, no one is in this little circus - which is why everything was so interesting.

Now even though this was short and didn't have enough infor
Darcysmom
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Le Cirque De Magie is a delightful short story. I loved the setting - a circus in the 1920s. As is fitting for a magical story, the circus is in New Orleans for the bulk of the story.
The heart of the story is the blossoming love between Ravi and Alice. Ravi is none of several supernatural performers in the circus. The happy balance of the circus is destroyed when a new dwarf is hired. The dwarf is not what she seems, and it is up to Ravi to save the circus, and Alice.
This short story was a wonde
Book Squirrel
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable!

‘Le Cirque de Magie‘ is an excellent dark fantasy/paranormal romance novella set in a circus populated by both human and magical performers.

The story gains momentum with the arrival of a mysterious new cast member who brings new complications to the show and, as the suspense builds, the reader becomes more invested in the safety of the central characters and the delivery of   justice to the antagonist.

The characters are interesting and varied, and the story is well-developed, ma
Gay
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a very good short story about a circus performer who is more than he seems. He wants to save his girlfriend and friends from a demon who is attacking people. Can hesave the day? I would have rated this book higher but felt it needed more. For a short story it was very good though. I think you will like it.
Cherry
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great short story

It’s definitely worth the read. It’s short but a great story set in the past and you find yourself transported back and it’s wonderful. I would love to see more shorts like this in a collection from this author as it was so well written.
Verrilline Turner
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A cautious tale of good and evil

This story was captivating. There was intrigue and romance in addition to good versus evil. I really like the birdman.
Vintagebooklvr
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The magic of the circus and non-Western mythology creates an interesting tale but in places the writing is a little rough. I could see many other stories in this verse.
Crazy Book Lady
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very well written, wished it had been a full sized novel, but a great read anyway.
Miki
Dec 22, 2011 rated it liked it
To be honest i'm quite disappointed. Oh the story isn't bad but it lack something. I would have loved more explanation about the powers from the different character like for example do the suparna have a special link with animal. Is that why the dog go to him?
Also...i didn't see many things to make us understand that's in 1920 ( ok the absynte but apart that the time of the story isn't well show so we don't know if it's important)

The character have their own personnality that's great but it's
Nostalgia Reader
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-amazon
An excellent short story. Easily a half-hour/hour long read.

Set during Prohibition, it follows Ravi, a Sanskrit sun-bird spirit, who lives life in human form as the Great Birdman in a circus--a highwire acrobat naturally. He becomes suspicious when he sees the circus manager hiring a new dwarf act. But she turns out to be a lot more than the dwarf acts they've had in the past--she's really a demon. Ravi, as well as the manager, make it their mission to kill the demon--but not before she strikes
Larry Kollar
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, short read about circus freaks (some of whom are supernatural beings) and the evil spirit who comes to bedevil them. The 1920s setting made this work, in my opinion. Ravi was fun, broken English and all.

Perhaps its only flaw was the lack of mystery — it's very clear very quickly, who the bad guy (gal) is — and there's no real explanation of why she has chosen to screw with them. The plot lies in finding out what she really is and how to get rid of her. The ending wraps up a littl
Katy
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The cover and title intrigued me, and the story starts out with wonderful writing and a sympathetic main character. The situation is fascinating, and the author obviously did a lot of research on circus details, which I found fascinating. The fantasy element kept me wanting to find out what happens next, but the tension and suspense fizzled with a less-than-satisfying ending. 3.5 stars rounded up to 4. I hope the author will write more in this story world, because she has a solid foundation and ...more
Tahlia Newland
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I loved this urban fantasy short story with its Sanskrit spirits and demons. It’s inspired me to read more of Marsha’s work. It’s about a circus in the 20s where Ravi, the Suparna birdman and aerial artist, discovers that the dwarf, Sadie is a Rakshasi and he must deal with her before his beloved Alice becomes next on the creatures hit list.
Deena
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-on-kindle
Kindle edition
A short novella about a circus. It was just an ok read. It didn't hook me in.
2 1/2 stars
Jeanine
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Short, rather odd circus story.
Bernarda Lucija
Nikki Bittner
Jun 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Adventures of Viola Stewart: Three Short Stories
  • A Queer Old Christmas (Life Begins at Forty-Eight Book 4)
  • Where Souls Entwine: Follow-Up to the Heart Won’t Let Go
  • The Darkest Veil
  • Red Dot Capers
  • Fallen Captive (The Fallen Cross Legion, #2)
  • Promise of the Opal
  • The Old Gilt Clock
  • Books, Blogs, and Bloody Murder, An Aggie Underhill Short Story: An Aggie Underhill Mystery
  • Another Girl Calls My Dad Daddy
  • The House That Evil Made
  • The Grunch Who Stole Winter Solstice (Gothic Tales Book 6)
  • Christmas Australis: A Frighteningly Festive Anthology of Spine Jingling Tales
  • Good Intentions
  • Dead by Morning (Rituals of the Night #1)
  • The Day I Saw the Hummingbird
  • A Dark Covenant
  • The Sage (Witch's Ambitions Trilogy #3)
Marsha A. Moore loves to write fantasy and fantasy romance. Much of her life feeds the creative flow she uses to weave highly imaginative tales.

The magic of art and nature often spark life into her writing, as well as watercolor painting and drawing. She’s been a yoga enthusiast for over a decade and is a registered yoga teacher. After a move from Toledo to Tampa in 2008, she’s happily transforme