Start by marking “Room to Write: Daily Invitations to a Writer's Life” as Want to Read:
Room to Write: Daily Invitations to a Writer's Life

Room to Write: Daily Invitations to a Writer's Life

What makes someone a writer? A writer writes, expressing the world through synthesis of mind and magic, sensuality and spirit. With both humor and reverence, Room to Write playfully prevails on us to experience the world through a writer's eyes, and respond to the creative sparks that charge good writing.

In two hundred daily essays, the author invites the reader--whether
Published April 1st 2011 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published April 16th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Room to Write, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Room to Write

Start your review of Room to Write: Daily Invitations to a Writer's Life
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality, writing
It is not the best book I have read to inspire me in writing but it is more like "Daily Bread" insights and a fortune cookie comment, a quote, at the end. Too brief, a bit simplistic.
Karsten
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sabbatical-reads
I'm not a fan of the "daily devotional" format for writing books. The title can call these "invitations to a writing life," but when someone invites you anywhere 200 times/days in a row, the effect starts to be pressure and obligation.

That's clearly not Goldberg's intention, though. From her intro ("It isn't at all necessary to follow this schedule...There's nothing magic about the order, either") to her easy tone throughout, Goldberg just wants you moving your pencil. She encourages you to
Erika Dreifus
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-related
I'm at the start of a new project, and I've just dug up my copy of ROOM TO WRITE to help fuel the work. And I'm reminded, again, how just wonderful this book is.

I wish I could recall when/where I discovered it, who assigned it to me, etc. All I can tell you is that my copy is worn. For a long while, several of the exercises became staples of my writing routine: I'd be developing a new character or new story and I'd return to certain tried-and-true, post-it-marked pages. Later, when I advanced
Djrmel
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
- This is a wonderful little book full of writing prompts and exersises that are more than prompts and exercises. Each starts with a few paragraphs explaining why whatever the prompt is exploring is important to a writer, then gives the directions for a short writing assignment, and ends with a quotation from published writers, statesmen, artists, etc. that connects to the exercise. This is the book I grab, open to a random page, and start writing when my muse doesn't show up for work.
Marie
Jun 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books, nonfiction
I love the prompts: not too restrictive, either for genre or style; lovely layout with nice font (it's always nice to have a pretty book, less distracting); nothing too long or tract-like. Just simple, inspiring ideas when you don't know where to start.
Vignette-Noelle
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: writers, both casual and professional
Shelves: favorites
This book has served me well! I have had it since college and it has saved my characters numerous times! It is the best cure for writer's block I've found and it's the type of book I can just flip open to any page and find some inspiration. A "must" for every writer.
Jessica
Nov 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful writer's companion, Great ideas for journal entries as well.
Foxthyme
Oct 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing
This little book can get you writing from all your forgotten, uncomfortable, and squirmy places.
MshMsh
Excellent book with various prompts to inspire writing.
Ed Book
Feb 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
a good guide to get one writing every day
Liz
Oct 25, 2009 rated it liked it
This book has exercises that serve as jumping off points for writing.
Sarah Rigg
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
One of the things that impressed me about this book back in 1997 when I read it was Goldberg's suggestion to give yourself permission to write about "gross" things, even suggests trying to write a whole page about snot.
Jeri
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this as a gift years ago, and I loved it. It was just the thing a young writer needed.
Deb
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great little resource book of 200 exercises or writing prompts--each with a brief essay discussing the topic behind the exercise and the exercise itself, and finally an inspirational quote from an author or other famous creative folk that relates to it. (One of my favorites: "My object is to show what I have found, not what I am looking for." --Pablo Picasso)

I tend not to follow the order of the book and instead flip through and choose the one that interests me most at that particular time or
Heather Layne
Jul 04, 2012 rated it liked it
200 daily "invitations" to write. You can do them sequentially or skip around randomly. Some work better for nonfiction, some for poetry or for fiction, some are more about personal journaling. Honestly, I read this in the bathroom a page or two at a time! But I will probably return to it someday and actually do some of the writing exercises. There are some I could even use with my 8th grade students.
Dana
Dec 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: writers
Another (of which there are many, but few of which are deserving of the resources required for their existence) writer's companion for inspiration. Each page is a suggested exercise to spark the imagination or encourage an alternate perspective. Helpful for generating new writing or breaking through writer's block.
SmarterLilac
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good, although she is a little harsh on the developing writer's fragile emotional state. This is more a book for people who think negative reinforcement works to help motivate us, although she does have a few solid tips and tricks in here.
Donna S.
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've had the book in my collection for a few years, and have returned to its pages several times. It provides just the right breeze of fresh air. In the same vein, "Room to Write" holds the wisdom and inspiration for writers as does Sara Ban Breathnach's "Simple Abundance" holds for daily living.
Jason
Jun 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: professional
This writer's companion is chock full of writing ideas, musings, and quotes from famous novelists, poets, and authors. I marked about 1/3 of the prompts to use in my high school creative writing class for next school year.
Courtney
Oct 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great resource for someone looking for guided writing exercises. Would be good use for a professor/class and useful for someone like myself who simply wants to keep creative juices flowing/poetry ideas.
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Room to Write by Bonni Goldberg (1996)
Debbie
Jul 03, 2008 added it
I took a writing class a few years ago, and this is one of the books they recommneded. I love it. Each page has a different idea to inspire you to write!!!
Lee
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Whenever I need a good writing prompt, this little gem is my "go to" book. I love it. Little prompts with some explanations, plus words of encouragement
Laura Guilbault
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beginner-Writers
Shelves: on-writing
I really enjoyed the exercises and advise in this book.
It only took me about two days to read the whole book, skipping only two pages.
Leah
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
a great addition to any writer's toolbox. i go back to it time and time again.
Sidra
Oct 29, 2011 rated it liked it
A good book, but not a lot of new or different or particularly inspired prompts although I'll definitely use a few.
Karen
Feb 27, 2010 rated it did not like it
I tried to follow the daily prompts but it really didn't appeal to my style of writing.
Terry
May 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: teaching-english
Daily quotes and prompts for writers. An excellent prompt for writing, as well as a reminder that some ideas are quite simple and yet elegant in their execution. I wish I'd written this book.
Sherry D'ambrosio
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Open anywhere and find something to get you started writing again.
Shelley Mcnamara
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love writing prompts. The lead me out of my comfort zone and push me into unfamiliar waters!

• Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives
  • The Right to Write: An Invitation and Initiation Into the Writing Life
  • Moving On: Creating Your House of Belonging with Simple Abundance
  • Wild Mind: Living the Writer's Life
  • Beginnings, Middles & Ends (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
  • The Artist's Way Every Day: A Year of Creative Living
  • Downsizing the Family Home: What to Save, What to Let Go
  • Aunt Dimity and the Heart of Gold
  • Journal to the Self: Twenty-Two Paths to Personal Growth - Open the Door to Self-Understanding by Writing, Reading, and Creating a Journal of Your Life
  • Old Friend from Far Away: The Practice of Writing Memoir
  • Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Family Tree (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #16)
  • Broken Bone China (A Tea Shop Mystery #20)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Village Witch (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #17)
  • Widows' Words: Women Write on the Experience of Grief, the First Year, the Long Haul, and Everything in Between
  • Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy