Start by marking “Math Girls” as Want to Read:
Math Girls

Math Girls

(Math Girls #1)

Math isn’t hard. Love is.

Currently in its eighteenth printing in Japan, this best-selling novel is available in English at last. Combining mathematical rigor with light romance, Math Girls is a unique introduction to advanced mathematics, delivered through the eyes of three students as they learn to deal with problems seldom found in textbooks. Math Girls has something for
Published November 23rd 2011 by Bento Books, Inc. (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Math Girls, please sign up.
Tony Gonzalez The math content in the Math Girls series is quite advanced. Some of the topics covered in these books are approachable by junior/senior high school…moreThe math content in the Math Girls series is quite advanced. Some of the topics covered in these books are approachable by junior/senior high school students with an active interest in mathematics, but the "sweet spot" is likely undergraduate math majors. (Honestly, even graduate students would likely learn some new things!)(less)

Caitlin
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking for a decent math book catered to middle/high school girls. I'm a woman and a math major, and there really aren't that many of us out there. I skimmed through Danica McKellar's book and was insulted; pretty much all of the examples centered around the kind of calculations necessary for shopping (calculating sales tax, etc). I'm not exactly sure what I was looking for, but that wasn't it.

However, Math Girls is more than I could have hoped for. The mathematics that it covers is a
Diego Barba
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Splendid. Quality mathematical excitement for everyone. This book really got me excited. Not only does it have a nice story, but it also has great mathematical results, shown right there in front of the reader. I hadn't read a book this fast in a really long time. I really kept thinking all day long on this story and the mathematics shown in it. The satisfaction i got from this book is uncomparable. I would also mention that I am a mathematics major, that's one of the reasons why I enjoyed it th ...more
Ifrah
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh math girls...

Everyone thought I was crazy for reading a book about math that wasn't required by school, but something about this book called out to me. I mean, up until now, I've had a strange relationship with math. In elementary school I hated it, and then in high school it changed. I started liking math and to this day, I really love it. Now in Grade 12 Calculus, I picked up this book and realized just how much I don't actually know.

They would start with something simple that you even lear
Jaci
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritos
Amazing!!
Although I’m studying Mathematics at the university, this book taught me a lot, even more than the classes I had.
I really enjoyed the combination of the love story with Math, and I also learned a lot from the main characters. Their personalities, thoughts and the way they look at Mathematics are really interesting.
Math Girls is written in a way that you can understand the demonstrations, examples and problems.
After reading this book, you will fall in love with Maths. In my case, I fel
Harrison
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gotten
This is an interesting book, it covers a large amount of content, mainly from number theory and enumeration. The romance was very light and fluffy, and was definitely good to break up the content, because without it it probably would have been rather dense, though it is a bit dense still. Covers topics like Catalan paths, convergent and divergent sequences, the zeta function, formal power series and generating functions.
Pete
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book - highly, highly recommended.

Math Girls captures the nature of inquiry and the process of learning and does it all whilst creating a beautiful story. A captivating read.
Marci
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the concept of this book, it really made me see the beauty in Math.
Brett Bujeya
I really enjoyed this book. It reminded me of Sophie's World in many respects and had a nice, simple storyline. However, it didn't insult the readers intelligence and gave a clear exposition of some interesting mathematics.
Nicola Bernini
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Original idea, good implementation: not just the typical Japanese high school love story.
Gentle, romantic atmosphere, intellectually stimulating and lovely characters.
I really appreciated the drawing style.

One of the best 青年漫画 I have read so far

Cate C.
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is amazing. It gives the reader tools to solve all sorts of problems and really makes you think. I'll probably have to read this again a few more times to get everything out of it that I can.
Chong Wa
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that has let me find my passion for math. If it was not for this book, I would be studying physics right now!
Alexis
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of math with just enough story to keep it all together. It was fun to get back into some of that type of math after graduating several years ago and not dealing much with math anymore.
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-club-boooks
Couldn't finish it, it was so boring and the math completely beyond me. But, the story was also poor.
Fontine
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Math Girls is not Hiroshi Yuki’s first book about the sciences, as he has written others on niche topics such as Java and Perl. Math Girls focuses on the often unseen beauty of mathematics and the enjoyment one can get out of studying difficult problems and working on their proofs with friends. Yuki melds young adult fiction with a mathematics textbook in this novel. The book centers around the relationship between three seemingly incongruent characters. The first is the unnamed narrator, a shy ...more
Jill
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Math Girls is an exhilarating journey through high school and advanced mathematics. Narrated by an unnamed male character with a passion for math, the reader is captivated by the correlation of the relationships between characters and the flow of math concepts. He is joined in his passion for math by Miruka, a fellow student who has her own style of solving mathematics, and Tetra, a younger student with a growing passion for the world of math. Miruka takes the role as a tutor and friend figure ...more
Michelle
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book, unusual as it is. There's a publishing dictum that says that for every equation you include in a book, you decrease your audience by half. That's probably why this book came out in Japan rather than in the West, because it's chock-full of equations, but introduced at a good pace.

The plot is simple. The unnamed narrator is a high school boy who loves math. Hiruka is a girl his age but far superior in math; Tetra is younger and not quite as competent but still enthusi
Paul
Jan 03, 2016 added it
Math girls is a novel by Hiroshi Yuki based upon three teenagers in high school, two of which share an affinity toward math. The main character, who is unnamed, is a first year who meets Miruka, a person who shares the same affinity and proves so by spurting random math problems at the narrator. Later on a third student Tetra who is terrible at math seeks the narrators help. It is revealed that Miruka gets jealous and forms a feud between her and Tetra, each fighting for the narrator. The narrat ...more
Jeff Brateman
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yay, first book finished in over 6 months!

If you're looking to reignite your math passion, this is a great start! Math Girls serves as a historical reference, while introducing several not-so-common series/patterns, and their closed-form expressions. The math contained within would probably be held within 50 pages, so there's not a whole lot of material. Perhaps this is why it was so quick to read.

Math Girls was a great read for someone who's gone up through Calculus 2 (either in HS or College)
Marco
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
From a mathematical point of view, the book is fun. Non-trivial, quite detailed, carefully explained and sufficiently easy to follow. The topic's mainly calculus and number theory (sequences, series, generating functions, difference calculus etc.), but the book features a well-devised epistemologic approach, which casts a positive and quite believable light on the process of mathematical discovery.
The background narration, though, is extremely dull. The point is not that it's just teenage romanc
Timothy C. Miller
I liked this book. It has teenage flirtations in it mixed with math. It was a good way to explore math, and it had advice on how to study math more ambitiously. The topics covered were not too difficult, but I have a PhD and sometimes had to read the chapters twice to get the full benefit -- and I definitely would try to read it just a chapter at a time. I now have the second of these books. I read one math girls book on graphing, but it was too easy -- I gave it to my friend who has a high scho ...more
Dang Minh
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: math-and-science
A fantastic combination of math and Japanese high school love comedy. I found this after reading the manga adaptation. It was a wonderful read that had I racing through in 3 days. The theory is at the level of a competent high school, but the last chapters are refreshing even for a math major senior (in a liberal arts school, of course). The periodic sprinkle of a story never failed to bring a smile to my face. Rest assured, the math is solid with this one. I would recommend this to anyone inter ...more
Rif A. Saurous
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this. The math is fairly enjoyable and I learned some new things. But the story... why did they bother? Lame, cheesy and borderline offensive. The main character is a high school student. He likes math. Also, there are two girls. One is even better at math than him and the other is not as good as him and wants him to teach her. But they are both very beautiful and smell good. Nothing happens.
Vida
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
My rating says more about me than it does about the book. To my misfortune I understood very little of the math. I hope this doesn't happen to my daughter or future generations of girls. The book is two stories happening simultaneously. It is a story with 3 high school students studying math, one male and two females, and then the math they are studying. I didn't understand either one!
Jose Moa
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, mathematics
This is the unique book that i know that makes the mathematisc the leitmotive,fun and discussion between secondary school teens,it touch themes as generating functions ,harmonic series and zeta function,taylor series and partitions
Vee
May 03, 2012 marked it as to-read
Not one GoodReads review yet?

Bento Books made the first two chapters available for download via iTunes app if any one is interested.

I'll try to tackle this book soon.

Pumpkinpi
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
While I do think that this book did an excellent job integrating the math with the romance, I don't think that the ratio was ideal. Yuki needs to spend more time developing each character, so the math is more interesting to read. I did, however, greatly enjoy the epilogue.
Hannah Schorr
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-for-school
First off, I love math. I really really do. If I didn't, I wouldn't be majoring in it. This book was a struggle to get through, though. I found it boring and the plot was too far fetched for me to get into. I just did not like it that much.
Ahmad
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Subarashii. Truly amusing though you have to be a Math fan to be able to appreciate it. I can't wait for the other books to be translated.
Amy
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Japanese high school students flirt over math homework. The math is not incidental. Much of the book is set using LaTex, and the problems are turned into romantic metaphors.
John
Aug 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I had to skim over all the math past chapter two. I want to learn more math.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Questions, comments for the translator or author? 4 7 Mar 01, 2014 01:20PM
  • The Universe in Zero Words: The Story of Mathematics as Told Through Equations
  • My Brain is Open: The Mathematical Journeys of Paul Erdős
  • In Pursuit of the Traveling Salesman: Mathematics at the Limits of Computation
  • What's Math Got to Do with It?: Helping Children Learn to Love Their Least Favorite Subject--and Why It's Important for America
  • The Pleasures of Counting
  • G Is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book
  • Math Appeal: Mind-Stretching Math Riddles
  • Algorithmic Puzzles
  • Edgar Allan Poe's Pie: Math Puzzlers in Classic Poems
  • Doing Bayesian Data Analysis: A Tutorial Introduction with R
  • Q.E.D.: Beauty in Mathematical Proof
  • What's Your Angle, Pythagoras? A Math Adventure
  • The Math Gene: How Mathematical Thinking Evolved And Why Numbers Are Like Gossip
  • Family Math
  • Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar
  • Algebraic Topology
  • Math, Science, and UNIX Underpants
  • Zero Is the Leaves on the Tree

Math Girls (5 books)
  • Math Girls 2: Fermat's Last Theorem
  • Math Girls 3: Godel's Incompleteness Theorems
  • 数学ガール/乱択アルゴリズム [Sūgaku Gāru: Rantaku Arugorizumu] (数学ガール, #4)
  • 数学ガール/ガロア理論 (数学ガール, #5)