Start by marking “Incident On and Off a Mountain Road” as Want to Read:
Incident On and Off a Mountain Road

Incident On and Off a Mountain Road

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  392 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
"Easing her back against a tree trunk, she sat and listened, watching for that strange face, fearing it might abruptly burst through the limbs and brush, grinning its horrible teeth, or worse, that he might come up behind her, reach around the tree trunk with his knife and finish her in a bloody instant."

“Incident On and Off a Mountain Road” is one of Joe Lansdale’s most p
Published November 20th 2011 by Gere Donovan Press

To ask other readers questions about Incident On and Off a Mountain Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Incident On and Off a Mountain Road

Zoeytron
Feb 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Zoeytron by: Marvin
A moonlit night, a psycho with a moon face and a yearning to add to his gruesome family are more than plenty to carry this short tale of horror. The ending was a bonus. The more I read of Lansdale, the better I like him.
Marvin
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-fiction
Gere Donovan Press and Amazon are currently offering four short stories by Joe R. Lansdale to Kindle readers for free. The four tales are The Steel Machine, Bullets and Steel, Tight Little Stitches on a Dead Man's Back and this one, Incident On and Off a Mountain Road. "Incident" is one of Lansdale's earlier tales and one of his more famous short pieces mainly due to the Don Coscarelli directed episode of the TV series Masters of Horror. It is also one of Lansdale's most harrowing, evoking dist ...more
Pat
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Holy Moly! What a fantastic story. I am between reading novels and wanted to read something quick for a change. I borrowed this story from my husband's Kindle library because I have read Joe R. Lansdale's novels and really enjoyed them. Well, all I can say is that this short story is definitely worth the late night read. It is only 33 pages but yet it tells a great tale. If you liked (or remember) Rod Sterling of 'The Twilight Zone' fame, this story would have been one of the top selections.
Col
Dec 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, l
Blurb, sort of...... In “Incident On and Off a Mountain Road,” Lansdale offers readers a heroine who is far more than what she seems. Pursued by a monstrous madman, Ellen calls upon her survival skills and leads readers toward a mind-blowing twist ending.

Another freebie from the Amazon site, which I found while having a browse.

Not my usual bag though I’m familiar with Lansdale’s work. I have read a few of his previous horror offerings, The Drive-In 1 and 2, but my main enjoyment comes from his
Chris
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If this isn't the perfect "strong woman fights off deranged psychopath" story then I don't know what is. Even as I read it I checked off all the standard plot devices (which I won't list because that will ruin the story) but I enjoyed it anyway just because Lansdale is that good. And then he still surprised me with a perfect ending. If you haven't read Lansdale you are really missing out and this story would be a great place to start.
Angela
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, it had a very 1970s horror feel to it, by that I mean claustrophobic and intense. Lots of action and some definite creepy and disturbing moments and a nice little twist at the end which I liked.
Yolanda Sfetsos
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've had a bad run of books I can't get into lately, so I've been reading short stories. This is the latest one.

The night Ellen is driving too fast down a mountain road, she hits a car. When she gets out to make sure the other driver is okay, she finds the car empty. But she's not alone, because a maniac with a knife soon appears...

I really enjoyed this one!

Not only is Ellen crafty and not willing to give up--constantly remembering some of the survivalist bullshit her ex talked about--but she's
Badseedgirl
Masters of Horror, season 1, episode 1.

There were 26 episodes of the powerful Showtime series which aired between 2005 to 2007. All of them were based on short stories/ novellas by some of the most influential writers of the genre field. I have made it my mission to hunt these stories down and read them. There are only 26, I mean how hard can it be?!?!

The first story in the series was "Incident On and Off a Mountain Road." Short, but with brutal intensity, this 30 page story gripes the reader in
Kat
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horror fans
Shelves: owned, horror
I saw the Masters of Horror episode of this story back when it first came out. I watched a few more episodes and didn't like them. From my recollection, this one was the best one I had seen. However, going into this short story I couldn't remember a thing other then a girl running from "some guy" in the woods.

Unfortunately I told someone about 15 minutes before I was to start reading it, that I was reading it, and they ruined the ending for me - probably accidentally. But annoying nevertheless.
Keith
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Decided to dip into some Joe R. Lansdale, given that Bubba Ho Tep is one of my all time favourite movies and Don Coscarelli's adaptation of this story for Masters Of Horror was one of my favourite episodes.

The most striking thing reading this is just how faithful and excellent Coscarelli's version was, he clearly stuck very faithfully to the source and the representation of Moon Face was iconic enough that it's difficult to read this without your mind conjuring up images of the MoH episode.

It re
Godzilla
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, crime, horror, kindle
After many complaints from my wife about the number of books our house is struggling to contain, I have bought a Kindle.

I was very anti-Kindle, as I love the feel and nuance of books, but for a quiet life I have gone over to the dark side.

I saw this short story as a free offering and snapped it up.

Joe Lansdale rarely disappoints, and this is no exception. It's a taut, tense tale with a real twist in the tail.

His writing is always pacy and punchy, and as a free taster this encapsulates his streng
Daniel Drago
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best short stories I have read. I am just starting to read Joe Lansdale even though I was first told to read him back in 1992. My mistake it appears. I love that the story moves so fast, doesn't have to explain why Moon Face does what he does and the ending is a great twist i didn't see coming. On my way to read more by Mr. Lansdale.

Highly recommended.
David
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Lansdale will like this story.
This short story is currently free, from Amazon, as it includes the first chapter of a book by the sponsoring publisher.

Which I'll have to get back to later, given how spooked out I was by this story.

Ted
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reminded me a lot of PC nerve shredders like Outlast, Amnesia or Alien Isolation. It was adapted into a TV movie back in 2005 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BRDygPv... that looks like the gist of the story. It also added a lot to it. Very good short read with a ending you won't see coming.
Greg Sisco
Apr 12, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a mediocre short story that could have benefited from stronger characters. The whole story is essentially an action/chase scene with occasional references to a romance the heroine once had with a man who taught her self-defense. You get a basic idea of who the main character is but not enough to care about whether she lives or dies, which kills the suspense through most of the story. I probably would have given a two-star review if not for a pretty strong ending that adds a bit of depth ...more
Clark Hallman
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Incident On and Off the Mountain Road is and excellent, very violent, 33-page, short story with a surprise at the end. It's a fun read. One of the many things I like about eBooks is that publishers now make short stories and novellas available individually as eBooks. In many cases, that enables me to purchase only the stories I know I want to read. I may not need to purchase as many collections that contain only one or two stories that interest me. I hope this trend continues, it's a good thing.
Randy
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another weird tale from the author of many such.

A woman escaping from one madman pursued by another on a lonely highway in the mountains. A near disaster, wreck, sets her up for a killer.

But is she the helpless female she seems?

Author Lansdale gives us a suspenseful tale with a nice ywist or two along the way.
Megan
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
Something came up in a conversation that reminded me of this episode of Masters of Horror, and I found out this is based on a short story. I easily found it on Kindle and gave it a read.

The episode is good, but the short story is better. I might want to give more of Mr. Lansdale's work a try in the future.
Saretta
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, racconti
Una giovane donna, a causa della pioggia, si scontra con una macchina lungo una strada di montagna.
Preoccupata per gli abitanti del veicolo scende (grave errore), da quel momento inizia un incubo: un pazzo assassino inizierà a inseguirla per i boschi per aggiungerla alla sua collezione.
Ma la giovane donna non è così indifesa come potrebbe apparire.
Mark Tallen
Apr 27, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a good little read and I liked it enough to sample some more of Lansdale's work. Of corse there are far better short stories to read than this but I do recommend it if you're in between novels.
Padre
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced, captivating story with two nice twists. As entertaining as the movie adaptation.
Keith
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, short-stories
"Incident On and Off a Mountain Road" is a gruesome suspenseful short story with a surprising twist.
Pat
Dec 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, serial-killer
A creepy stalk and slash short story, with an ending which boosted my rating to 3 stars.
Charles
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, short-stories
An individual story for the Kindle from Lansdale. Very good. I was able to download it for free.
Nilchance
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
As gripping as a King short story, without the things that usually turn me off Lansdale. This sounds like damning with faint praise, but I did enjoy the story a lot.

Do not fuck with Ellen.
Anthony
May 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very good short story, but the twist at the end seems a bit cliche.
Jessica
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook
READ THIS!!! A fantastic short story!
Martin
Excellent short story with a bizarre, but oddly satisfying, twist at the end.
Daniel Swensen
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Well written, great twist, just a tad too egregiously gruesome for me.
Robin Edman
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Predictable but enjoyable
  • Specimen 313
  • Zombie Bits (Murdermouth)
  • Freeze
  • Anything can be Dangerous
  • This Little Piggy
  • Rock And Roll Reform School Zombies
  • Dead Earth: The Green Dawn
  • Scratch (Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #7)
  • Truck Stop
  • Last Dance of a Black Widow
Champion Mojo Storyteller Joe R. Lansdale is the author of over forty novels and numerous short stories. His work has appeared in national anthologies, magazines, and collections, as well as numerous foreign publications. He has written for comics, television, film, newspapers, and Internet sites. His work has been collected in more than two dozen short-story collections, and he has edited or co-e ...more
More about Joe R. Lansdale

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • What If
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother