Start by marking “Electrified Sheep: Glass-eating Scientists, Nuking the Moon, and More Bizarre Experiments” as Want to Read:

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  452 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Welcome to some of the most weird and wonderful experiments ever conducted in the name of science—“Perfect summertime reading—preferably with a friend nearby who can be constantly interrupted with unsettling facts.†—The Daily Mail (UK )

Benjamin Franklin was a pioneering scientist, leader of the Enlightenment and a founding father. But perhaps less well
Published June 5th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Electrified Sheep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Electrified Sheep

Brian Clegg
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s difficult to read this title without thinking of Philip K. Dick’s story Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep which was (very loosely) translated in the movie Blade Runner. Actually it’s difficult to read the title of this book at all because of strangely wordy cover. But what’s inside is not a freak show, but rather an exploration of some of the more bizarre experiments that scientists have in all honest decided to take on.

This is a field that is already covered by the igNobels (annual award
Jess
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Human kind is unbelievable. This book made me physically sick to my stomach numerous times. Fantastic!
Michael
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Quick, what mad scientist first revived a shock victim using mouth-to-mouth resuscitation? And who was the victim? Answer: The scientist was Ben Franklin, and the victim was a chicken. And that’s just one of the weird stories in this collection.
Donald Armfield
Aug 03, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is A 3.5 rating the opening studies are extremely boring.

Chapter 1: Electric Bodies
The study of electric goes to the animals one thing I will remember next time the lights go out with no sign of a storm, then that is pay back from the pigeons.

Chapter 2: Nuclear Reactions
Much better section the things scientist to with Atomic Bombs will definitely leave your jaw with awh stuck.

Chapter 3: Deceptive Ways
Very boring!

Chapter 4: Monkeying Around
Scientist trying to make monkeys civilized and why
Robert Day
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knowledge
If you were a Mad Scientist - what experiment would you conduct?

I would embed the workings of a smartphone in people's brains and synch it up with their eyes and ears etc. (instead of a screen, microphone and speakers etc.) just to see if having a secret smartphone would mean they would spend more time inside their heads/smartphones.

I guess on the outside, they would just look a little distracted (and maybe drool a little more), but apart from that, who would be able to tell that they were watch
Jeanine
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Geeks like me
Shelves: non-fiction, science
Not as good as the first book, Elephants on Acid. Maybe if you read this book first it wont be so disappointing. The book rehashes some of what was said in the first book and honestly I would advise people to read the first book and skip this one.
Michelle
Some good stories, some dumb ones, some funny ones, some I didn't even want to read. Kind of a mixed bag.
Ine
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2017
3 1/2
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting collection of eccentric individuals who toed the line between science and madness.
Janell
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting book about a lot of "forgotten" experiments in science. Both interesting and sad, and an amazing read!
Goodreads Librari...: Page count adding 2 27 Jan 19, 2014 11:15AM
  • Smoking Ears and Screaming Teeth
  • Mad Science: Einstein's Fridge, Dewar's Flask, Mach's Speed, and 362 Other Inventions and Discoveries that Made Our World
  • Free Radicals
  • How To Fossilise Your Hamster: And Other Amazing Experiments For The Armchair Scientist
  • The Ig Nobel Prizes
  • Two Sides of the Moon: Our Story of the Cold War Space Race
  • Don't Know Much About the Universe: Everything You Need to Know About Outer Space but Never Learned
  • Set Phasers on Stun: And Other True Tales of Design, Technology, and Human Error
  • Atheism: A Reader
  • What Are You Optimistic About?: Today's Leading Thinkers on Why Things Are Good and Getting Better
  • The Flooded Earth: Our Future In a World Without Ice Caps
  • The Book of Animal Ignorance: Everything You Think You Know Is Wrong
  • Symbiotic Planet: A New Look at Evolution (Science Masters)
  • The Amazing Story of Quantum Mechanics: A Math-Free Exploration of the Science that Made Our World
  • Human Evolution: A Very Short Introduction
  • Inflight Science: A Guide to the World From Your Airplane Window
  • Science Ink: Tattoos of the Science Obsessed
  • The Hungry Scientist Handbook: Electric Birthday Cakes, Edible Origami, and Other DIY Projects for Techies, Tinkerers, and Foodies
Alex Boese holds a master's degree in the history of science from UC San Diego. He is the creator of museumofhoaxes.com. He lives near San Diego.

source: http://us.macmillan.com/author/alexboese