Start by marking “One More for the People” as Want to Read:
One More for the People

One More for the People

Eight years in the making, One More for the People is the first collection of Martha Grover’s zine Somnambulist. Playful, wry, and conversational, One More for the People chronicles three generations in the life of the Grover family. As these idiosyncratic characters reluctantly confront adulthood, one Grover is always there to take notes. But after she’s diagnosed with a ...more
Paperback, First, 224 pages
Published December 13th 2011 by Perfect Day Publishing

To ask other readers questions about One More for the People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One More for the People

Bud Smith
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What an excellent book! Can't recommend this high enough. Among my absolute favorites. A memoir of sorts from a person with a real unique life. I've dug her Somnambulist Blog/zine for a while and must say, this book was a real kick ass home run scenario with very addictive reading qualities. Check it out.
Annie
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved! Got mildly anxious at the Cushing's stuff (hypochondriac), lost my shit over the family minutes. K&A - be forewarned that I will be writting/tweeting/taping family get-togethers from here on out.

Hi-five to Felus for the rec (and loan)! (Although this is one I'll be buying for future readings.)
allison
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essaycollection
Martha Grover is my new hero! I fell in love with her writing after reading her essay Cheese Clerk online and picked up this book not too long after. The whole thing is great, but my favorites were the interview with her grandfather about all the jobs he'd ever held and the minutes from her Sunday-morning family meetings.
Aaron Dietz
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The first two pieces in this book are dream pieces, where the author describes a dream she had. Dream pieces are very very difficult to make interesting to anyone who wasn't in the dream, but Martha Grover nails them. I was hooked from the beginning, then.

My favorite section was probably the transcripts/notes from her family meetings (disfunctional, but honest, and hilarious, and loving), but I also very much enjoyed Martha's unique and interesting framing of her own experiences dealing with Cus
Trudy
Jun 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-stars

I very much wish that I was able to get together with my family weekly to bicker about cleaning bathrooms. Really. That and the piece about the woods were my favorite. I am a sucker for family memoirs though, especially when they are not of the, "my family was the worst thing ever" variety.
Yasmin
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
A memoir that's a collection from the author's zine. It had the quirkiness of a zine, but polished. Funny and unusual, she covers the strange questions she gets working behind a cheese counter, records minutes of her large family's weekly meetings, and dealing with a serious chronic illness.
Joe
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this collection (all taken from Grover's zine) -- from cheese questions, to family meeting minutes, to scary diseases...she covers it all with a light grace that cuts real deep occasionally. I'm looking forward to reading more from Martha...and the next Perfect Day Publishing book.
Kate
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, medical
I didn't actually read all of this collection but I loved what I did read. Family meeting minutes!
Sandra
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a delightfully humane and humorous read this was. Grover combines a dry wit and a keen sense of fairness with her enviable talent to write clearly about not only the evolving of her family but also her coping with Cushing’s Disease. Who would have thought “The Grover Family Meeting Minutes” could be so entertaining—well, I was addicted as would be anyone who has been part of a loving, sometimes dysfunctional and undisciplined, but always there-for-you family. While she is to be praised for ...more
Art Edwards
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The family meeting minutes are wonderful, but the interview with Martha's grandfather is one of the best nonfiction pieces I've read all year.
Meave
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I really wanted this to be better. Like there's quirk, and pathos, and humor, but it's all surface. None of the emotions feels deep or strong. Like she didn't bring the good stuff to the page, I don't know. Just, disappointing. Maybe her next book will be better. She seems to have a lot of potential.
Davida
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
LOVED the first part, esp. interview with Grandpa - Bukowski-esque. Got very bored by the Grover family minutes, but this was redeemed by the commentary at the end.
Jenny Forrester
Martha Grover is a genius with a heart of gold. This collection came out of zinester life and love from the zine called Somnambulist from Grover's brain for all of us - the People.
Mathias
Sep 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Emily Books: questions for Martha? 1 26 Jun 26, 2012 11:36AM
Emily Books: our June pick (at last!) 3 56 Jun 18, 2012 09:28AM
Martha Grover is an author, poet, artist and writing coach living in Portland, Oregon. She is the author of One More for the People (Perfect Day Publishing) and The End of My Career (Perfect Day Publishing). The End of My Career was a finalist for the Oregon Book Awards in creative nonfiction in 2017. Her work has also appeared in numerous journals. She has been publishing her zine, Somnambulist, ...more