Start by marking “The Omen” as Want to Read:
The Omen

The Omen (The Omen #1)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  50,882 Ratings  ·  293 Reviews
Jeremy Thorn, United States Ambassador to England, and his wife Katherine become the parents of a beautiful boy whose destiny is to fulfill the most horrible prophecy ever made.
Published October 1st 1982 by Signet (first published 1976)

Jeffrey Keeten
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, book-to-film
Andrew
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been meaning to read this book for years and never felt I had time to get round to it. Well this year being the year of finishing promises and completing challenges I thought it was about time. After all it repeatedly appears on lists of all time greatest horror books.

And so I started my reading of my 1981 edition (although it was first printed in the mid 70s) I started with a sense of deja-vu. Now I am sure I have never watched the film all the way through. First being too young (and ye
Mia Nauca
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Todo lo que buscaba en un libro clásico de horror, que me perturbe y me entretenga, es un libro corto y sólido. Perfecto para cualquier lector que busca leer algo de miedo y un MUST para los amantes del género.

El final fue excelente y voy a estar viendo la película muy pronto para hacer una comparación.
Eyehavenofilter
This is what happens when you let others impregnate without checking their references, or even their DNA! One should always make sure to get at least 3 good letters of recommendation, preferably from a local parish, hospital, and a trusted friend. NOT, I repeat NOT from some foreign country where birds are known to attack in flocks and force people out onto roads where they are run over by vans!
References are also important when selecting nannies, maids, drivers, and chums for you otherworldly
Amalia Gavea
If I hadn't read this was a novelization of the incredibly chilling film starring Gregory Peck, by none other than David Seltzer himself, I would have rated it a bit higher. In a rare case, Seltzer has taken liberties with his own original material to transfer the film to the pages, and as it is, the novel seems like a very good effort.

It provides many interesting details about the past of key characters, especially Catherine, Thorn's wife, and father Tassone (who was father Brennan in the film
Rebecca McNutt
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really eerie book, even today, filled with suspense, creepiness and the horror of when evil takes the ultimate form of innocence. I highly recommend The Omen, it's definitely a nostalgic little horror classic.
Bettie☯
Description: Classic tale of the antichrist who comes to Earth in the form of a young boy
(view spoiler)
Coos Burton
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clasicos, terror, 666
Increíble, uno de los libros más entretenidos que he leído durante este año. Deseaba muchísimo encontrarme con ESTE tipo de horror en la literatura. Uno que estuviera estrechamente relacionado con lo diabólico, lo satánico y oculto, y sin dudas lo obtuve. El libro se va tornando cada vez más enfermizo, y lo hace tan gradualmente que uno casi no puede percibirlo.
Fue una de las pocas veces en las que literalmente grité de impotencia por su final, cosa curiosa, ya que más allá de ocasionales lágrim
Nandakishore Varma
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The movie of this book first introduced me to real horror - I later on became a junkie (now on withdrawal). I read the book long afterwards but was pleasantly surprised to find that even after all the suspense was taken away, the story was still disturbing and enjoyable. Kudos to Seltzer for providing hard-core Biblical horror. I never knew before that the Bible had so many poetically frightening passages. I became a fan of the Book of Revelation after reading this.

Damien, the lovable and angeli
Artemis Slipknot
Πολύ ωραίο, δεν ήθελα να τελιώσει!!
Miss Ravi
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
دوباره بازگشت به نوجوانی. دلهرهی خواندن این کتاب روی پاگرد طبقه بالا و مرگهای عجیب و شوم شخصیتها، هنوز در خاطرم هست، هنوز. ...more
Michelle
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2015
One of my top three horror films of all time: I saw it when I was much too young, and that coupled with a Catholic education/upbringing, ruined me forever. Plus, have you seen that kid???!?!?

Yup, your son is clearly the devil, love.

The story is brilliant, and translates well into novel format - in fact, we get some added extras, mainly around the Jennings character (who is rather unsavoury in the book but still curiously likeable). The ending is still shocking, and makes me wish that horror film
Jantu rahim
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SOS
Shelves: terror
Me gustó mucho.

La novela es muy entretenida, de lectura fácil y con una historia muy buena, dinámica y llena de acontecimientos.

El punto flaco es el estilo literario: pobre, senzillo y demasiado directo (sin mucha o nula ambientación). Ahora, el final del libro lo encontré genial!
La gran pega que le pondría es que como su adaptación cinematográfica fue muy literal, para quienes la hayan visto, no encotrarán casi ninguna diferencia. Este hecho no dejará lugar a ninguna sorpresa argumental (incl
Anum A
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I was in Class 8th when I read this,an all-nighter,had homework and Isha Namaz left but just started it after a late-night bath and was hooked-one of the rare few horror books that actually managed to scare me-the whole environment-afraid of getting a scolding from dad in the middle of the night while everybody was asleep,the photographs that showed weird signs,the gruesome deaths especially the one in which something heavy suddenly falls from the window and kills the passing-by characte ...more
 (shan) Littlebookcove
A boy Born of a Jackel?... I get that! But how does Satan impregnate it? How did they get his sperm? Did he rise up and say hi, I'm Lucifer, son of lies, I'm here to do some sick stuff and make a son?

I honestly thought this when reading the book!? I know I'm strange but in the book it has no explanation at all to how they got the devil's Sperm to make Damian they just said he was born of a jackel?

Apart from that I loved this classic horror book, The idea of the Antichrist being born made for a
Obsidian
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-2016
I read this for November's Horror Aficionados read.

Please note that I gave this book 3.5 stars and rounded it up to 4 stars on Goodreads.

This was a good horror book, but my mind tended to wander the entire story-line. I think the problem is that the writing style was just okay, and a few times there would be a sentence or two that just read wrong in my head and I would get distracted.

This book is kind of a weird thing in itself. This was released two weeks prior to the movie being released. The
Craigb
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I remember when the film The Omen (starring Gregory Peck) first aired on UK TV back in the early 1980s. My dad banned me from watching it because I was too young. Unperturbed, I vowed to beat this rather draconian dictum and got the book from the library. I was hooked...

Having watched the film many times since, I still think the book is better. The idea of an antichrist wielding so much power as a child is chilling and wonderfully horrific. A truly psychological chiller and rather disturbing as
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Omen,David Seltzer
عنوان: طالع نحس؛ اثر: دیوید سلتزر؛ برگردان: شهریار نیرومند؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، نشر سمیر، 1376، در 335 ص، شابک: 9649038116، داستانهای آمریکایی قرن 20م
Javi
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leí este libro después de haber visto la película. Hace mucho tiempo, eso sí. Recuerdo que el libro es bastante fiel a la película, y también al posterior remake, lo cual siempre es entrañable —ya que la costumbre suele ser en que lo único que tengan en común sea el título, por desgracia—. Mientras lo iba leyendo iba recordando escenas de la película, pero aun así no me desvelé ningún momento clave en el transcurso de la historia ya que al hacer tanto tiempo del visionado habían muchas cosas que ...more
Rade
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A story about a father who instead of being the happiest he can be, is instead put through hell (ha!) when his son turns out to be a lot darker than he appears. A lot of signs are there that he is not a normal kid, but his parents chalk it down to him being a young child who is still adjusting to a new family. As the story progresses, his father becomes obsessed with getting to the bottom of the mystery of his son, while around him a lot of people get into "accidents."

Overall a very enjoyable re
Benjamin Stahl
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Contrary to its subsequent movies, which were enjoyable enough but still fairly average, this is a relentlessly good read, and it both thrills and scares the reader consistently through its fast-paced story about a boy conceived by Satan, and his father's desperate struggle to destroy him. I liked the fact that this book didn't succumb to mainstream morality and try to make the kid a sympathetic character. I was rooting for his destruction the whole time, but I won't say how the story ends. Anyw ...more
Alex
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Pretty much exactly like the movie.
Kelly B
Short, fast-paced novel about the infamous evil child Damien.
Osvaldo
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bueeeeeeeen libro.

Creo que se merece ese lugar que tiene como libro de culto, aunque peca de ser un poco corto, es una buena historia que no para ni un solo momento en ponerse al 100
Alondra
4 Stars

It's the Omen. The devil's spawn. Classic movie and classic book. That is all.
Laurie
Oct 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever since this book & movie came out in the 70s, I’ve heard about how scary it was. I was very disappointed in it now that I’ve finally gotten around to reading it.

American ambassador to England, Jeremy Thorn and his wife Katherine, after a couple of miscarriages, are having a baby. But when Thorn gets to the hospital, the priest in charge tells him the baby has died. But a mother with no next of kin has just died giving birth. The baby is healthy and has no one to take it. Will Thorn adop
Bec
Aug 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is always better than the film. David Seltzer exposes the reader to the possibilities that lie behind the typical view of religion. The idea of an "antichrist" being represented by a child is just wonderful. To be honest, I don't know what to say. Been a while since I last read it, and what I say probably sounds a bit pathetic. I think I'll just steal this: "A powerful, spell-binding story of a child who is not a child, and a man who must become less of a father and more than man.." - B ...more
Gary Power
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw the movie last week then I saw the book in the corner of the room. I must of read it twenty five years ago. This is a brillant story. The action is even more intense and isn't limited by movie time constraints. It is so fast paced that it is was a page turner. There are a few flaws and exaggerations but they are just nit picks as this is genuinely thrilling and scary just like the movie. The Irish nanny is an even bigger bitch in the book than the movie which is quite an achievement. Well ...more
Resi
Jun 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro con el que no pasaremos miedo, pero sí nos da una buena dosis de suspense, está bien escrito, entretiene y desarrolla la clásica lucha entre el bien y el mal, estando encarnado el segundo en la figura de un niño. El libro fue una adaptación de la película.

Para ver mi reseña completa:

Horror Aficionados : November 2016 Group Read #2: The Omen 26 82 Nov 27, 2016 02:48PM
4DRAKE: The Omen 1 9 Dec 11, 2013 02:38PM
  • Damien: Omen II
  • Halloween
  • The Final Conflict: Omen III (The Omen #3)
  • The Sentinel
  • Rosemary's Baby
  • Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
  • A Stir of Echoes
  • Cape Fear
David Seltzer (born 1940) is an American screenwriter, producer and director, perhaps best known for writing The Omen (1976),[1] and Bird on a Wire (1990). As writer-director, Seltzer's credits include the 1986 teen tragi-comedy Lucas starring Corey Haim, Charlie Sheen and Winona Ryder,[2] the 1988 comedy Punchline starring Sally Field and Tom Hanks, and 1992's Shining Through starring Melanie Gri ...more
More about David Seltzer...

The Omen (5 books)
  • Damien: Omen II
  • The Final Conflict: Omen III (The Omen #3)
  • Armageddon 2000: Omen IV